Independent Fabrication -- Manufacturing Bicycles in Somerville, MA

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited June 21, 2009 in Street and Documentary
526344139_aB2Ae-L.jpg

Lloyd Graves is tall, dusty blond, and has an incongruous Southern drawl, a leftover from a childhood in Mississippi. He founded and works for Independent Fabrication, a company that does something surprising: they build bicycle frames in metropolitan Boston. This might not have been surprising in 1920, but today making bikes in the U.S. is “not the smartest thing in the world to get into. The only way we do it is to make custom bikes. We can’t compete with China or India or anything like that. We only do like 850 bikes a year. Most of those orders come from the Continental U.S. We can do what we can do that other people can’t do very well.”

526333209_42MKT-L.jpg

Independent bicycles start at $4,000 and can cost more than $10,000. The buyer gets no compromises. The bike fits him and not Lance Armstrong. Long femurs get a long top tube to keep the rider's knees directly over the pedals. Racers get stiffer bikes with greater road feel. Long distance tourers get long comfortable rides. They also get high performance bikes, which can take fenders and panniers, a combination not easy to find when bicycles are seen either as utilitarian transportation or fitness equipment. Color schemes can be whatever the buyer wants. An argyle example is in process.

Lloyd has been building bicycle frames in Somerville for a long time. Before 1994, he worked for Fat City Cycles. Fat City had about 25 people. “They had people who worked hard. They had people who didn’t work at all.”

But, “what ended up happening is we all got laid off.” Fat City was “in the hole. They owed like every vender in the world the maximum amount they could owe. They hadn’t paid rent in a while. When we got paid, everybody would clock out and drive over on our bikes to the bank and try to cash their checks as fast as possible.”

526330948_UswsM-L.jpg

But Lloyd and a few other “disenfranchised workers” wanted to keep making bikes. “We thought we knew what we were doing in terms of making bikes.” They found a machine shop in South Boston that they could use for $75 a month. The machine shop is still there. People build radio-controlled airplanes and hand cycles for disabled people there. Next-door is a fireworks factory, “for 4th of July celebrations where they launch them out of the Charles and stuff.”

Lloyd worked during the day as a bike courier and built bikes at night. At first, there was a welder from Fat City, but “she couldn’t stay on because we went for more than a year before we could pay ourselves, and she had a couple of kids.” After she left, Mike Flanagan welded and painted every bike.

526339397_Jghn8-L.jpg

Jeff Buchholz did the tacking in addition to taking care of the tools. Tacking is the first step in fame building, “sort of where the frame takes shape. All the tubes are cut, mitered.” And lightly welded into place. What emerges from tacking has the shape of the final frame, but is only strong enough to hold together until the final welds are made.

Lloyd, Mike, and Jeff started to sell their frames through a local bike store. They built a couple of hundred frames, and their business outgrew the ad-hoc shared space. They got a little money from the city of Somerville and spent a long time looking for a space they could afford. They had $50,000 and borrowed a little bit more here and there to start their employee-owned business.

526341019_KDtWR-L.jpg

At first they had only one product, a steel mountain bike they now call “The Deluxe.” They still make it, though “we’ve made changes in it over the years. Every tube is different than it was. The same thing from the outside, but it’s kind of evolved… a little lighter, a little stronger.”

As they established themselves, they started to build road bikes as well. “Every product we come out with is a product somebody here wanted… We make things we believe in.”

526342269_2CQ8u-L.jpg

One thing Lloyd believes in is steel bikes. “The steel bike is not in vogue, but there’s always [some people who] want to buy a steel bike. But it’s not ‘the greatest thing.’ Steel, though, is a very high tech material. The steels that are available now are much stronger than they were in the 70s and 80s. A lightweight steel bike is competitive with a titanium bike. If steel was invented today, it would be like the new wonder material. It’s great. It rides awesome. It’s pretty cheap. It’s easy to take care of. There’s lots of [options] available. You can easily make a highly customized bike.”

526340232_7rpop-L.jpg

Even though “steel is real,” Mike wanted to build a titanium bike. That strained Independent’s limited capital. Aircraft suppliers make titanium tubes. They sometimes do Independent a favor and sell “only” a hundred feet of tube at a time. At $30-$40 a foot, maintaining an adequate selection for custom bike building represents a big commitment. “It was pretty huge for us to get into.”

526338485_jNcwn-L.jpg

Lloyd leads a tour of the shop floor. Bike frames take shape in the tacking department where Jamie and Leah select tubes and finalize frame geometries according to the personal traits of the customers. They then cut the tubes to size and miter their ends, fitting and then tacking them together on adjustable stands.

526343899_HNnwj-L.jpg

Tyler and Jim are master welders. Independent bikes are T.I.G. welded without lugs. This exposes their craftsmanship. “Immaculate welds” is a feature listed in Independent’s catalog.

526336899_8LsVd-L.jpg

The welders are doing more than meets the eye. Lloyd stands next to a metal table, the alignment table.

“After Jamie tacks it, before they start welding it, they’ll check it. They’ll write down how far it is off. This one’s off by five thousands of an inch. They can weld to pull it closer to the frame alignment.

526336402_Y6Vsp-L.jpg

“All these tubes are pretty high strength; you can’t really bend them hardly at all. You can only bend them a little tiny bit. So they have to be pretty close to start with. It used to be material was a lot weaker. You could bend it with your hands. But tube materials got a lot stronger, and they were able to make bikes lighter. It made it harder to align the frame. So we had to get a lot better at basically welding them into alignment.

526337708_3KMw6-L.jpg

“So he’s going to start welding on the other side first. That will pull it or shrink it toward the weld. So they’ll pull it a little way first. Then they’ll check it. They’ll check it a couple of times. Then they’re done.”

526335859_MG2zu-L.jpg

Nevertheless, the frames make a final trip to the alignment table after welding. If they are still slightly out of alignment, a huge lever and old-fashioned elbow grease are employed to bend that last little tiny bit.

526335346_xK84T-L.jpg

Of the founders, only Lloyd is left. Jeff has a business selling tools to frame builders. Mike pursues his own idiosyncratic vision in his own one-man shop far outside town. Now Lloyd is president of a company with 12 fellow enfranchised workers.

526331863_rMPuc-L.jpg

And a majority stockholder, also chairman of the board, Gary Smith. Gary first encountered Independent Fabrication in his previous job, president of the outdoor products division of Timberland. In 2004, Timberland and Independent were teamed in a CNN reality TV program called “The Turnaround.” The format was for large companies to extend their expertise by mentoring small companies.

526335014_tdzMN-L.jpg

Gary is an enthusiastic cyclist and got the role of mentor. After the show, he kept in touch, bought a bike, and eventually the controlling interest of Independent. About the bike purchase, he says, “I’m tall and lanky and so physically need a custom bike.” About the company he jokes, “I could have either had a really nice bike collection or a really nice bike company.”

526334514_KKwpC-L.jpg

Gary’s analysis is that the company’s challenges fell into two “big buckets:”
  1. Under-capitalization. They were always just one step ahead of the sheriff relative to cash flow, not to mention being able to make any kind of investments.
  2. Leadership. There were 6 original founders, 3 bike makers and three “business people”. There was this us-vs.-them mindset, the office vs. the shop. “And that ‘s the kiss of death” in a small business that is really dependent on the shop. “There was no one to call the ball.”

526333753_mNGc6-L.jpg

Lloyd accepts Gary’s leadership. Gary is from Maine and grew up working in textile mills, “saw people working really hard and treated poorly. All those mills are shut now. In Bridgeport, there’s nothing left.” Lloyd feels that Gary shares a sense of building things, a desire that “not everything be imported.”

526342895_SkUwd-L.jpg

Lloyd can hold his passion about building bikes close to his chest. “When you’re making a bike you’re making a product that’s not really hurting the earth or anything. It’s not a bad thing. It’s not like making a missile or M-16 or even a car… It’s a pretty small footprint on the earth. You know you can be kind of proud that you kind of did something that’s good at the end of the day.”

526332476_RdMZ8-L.jpg

Above the shop floor, in graffiti is a motto, “Live the Dream.” I ask Lloyd about this. He says it’s tongue-in-cheek. “People make OK money but it’s not like getting rich or anything.” The dream was we worked at Fat City and everybody got laid off. I wanted people to have jobs.”
If not now, when?

Comments

• mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Being a cyclist, I can really appreciate these photos! You have some excellent captures there. The level of attention and focus is easily seen. Very nice!

Kris
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Great photos and a hell of a nice shop, WOW!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Nice work, Rutt. I really enjoyed the pictures and the narrative. Very nicely done. clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited May 3, 2009
    What a great story. Well told both in pictures and in verse.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Great story and lovely photos, John!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited June 17, 2009
    I missed this when it first came out.

Very nice story, very well done.

Looks like neat bicycles, too!

Steel is still good, also!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • GventureGventure Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    fantastic
    as a fan of good clean photojournalism, and a cyclist, I really really enjoyed this piece. Very well done with just enough textual detail to be interesting w/o getting bogged down and the photos are great - once again, very well done.clap.gif

G
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Stunning shots, amazing story, fabulous captures! Thanks so much for taking the time to share! I'd love to do a series (so-to-speak) on something as fabulous as this!!! Thank you again.
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Glad this got a recent bump and some more views. It is the almost final draft of my final project for B.D.'s Documentary Photography class last spring at Harvard Extension School. B.D. gave me some feedback and I edited the text a little. The final version is a pdf and can be seen here.

For people in the Boston area, I can't say enough good things about B.D.'s course. I think he gives it every spring. Consider taking it if you are interested in shooting people.
    If not now, when?
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Glad this got a recent bump and some more views. It is the almost final draft of my final project for B.D.'s Documentary Photography class last spring at Harvard Extension School. B.D. gave me some feedback and I edited the text a little. The final version is a pdf and can be seen here.

For people in the Boston area, I can't say enough good things about B.D.'s course. I think he gives it every spring. Consider taking it if you are interested in shooting people.

Thanks, Rutt - let me add two things:
    This project got the only A+ in the class!

And I will be conducting two week-long workshops in the Boston area this summer. There will be something up on Dgrin in the relatively near future, but in the meantime if anyone's potentially interested, just drop me an email at bdcolenphoto.@gmail.com

B. D.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited June 18, 2009
    Hey John wave.gif I re-read your final version. I still think it's easily one of the best things I've read on the subject.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 18, 2009
    How the heck did I miss this?! I'm the resident bike geek, and know half those guys from the local scene!

Fantastic, just fantastic words and photos - and I might add a bit of a rare treat inside the shop of a bunch of often rough blokes! The IndyFab crew has changed a bit over the years, very cool to read the whole story and see those photos.

Now to shoot some cycling sh*t... I don't reckon Lloyd would like this photo on the brochure or website of his "super custom we fit each body individually" bicycle frame making biz... 3 spacers?! come on!
    526333209_42MKT-S.jpg

:hide :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• DieWespeDieWespe Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2009
    Great thread...definitely wouldn't mind owning an IF bike one day.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    This story spawned a related story. See this thread.

Peter was the original host for the IF crowd before they got their own shop. They built their first few hundred frames in Peter's basement shop. Lloyd told me I should go meet Peter.
    If not now, when?
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 18, 2009
  • Mr HeadMr Head Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    That was cool.
    And great in black and white.
    ...Dick
  • amp'damp'd Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    I really enjoyed this series even though it's not a style of photograpy I am familiar with nor do I know much about bikes...well I know more now and did find this whole piece fascinating. =0D Good job. Really.
  • stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    IF makes very cool stuff!:D:D
    I remember when Fat Chance was bought out and IF was born shortly thereafter. ...(...there was this girl in my freshman chemistry class that road a Fat Chance MTB to class every day.....iloveyou.gif)

Great story, great pics!

Long live custom handmade bikes!
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    These are great, thanks for sharing!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Hey Rutt....some great pics and bikes. I'm right in your back yard and have in-laws in your town. Would love to see your setup some day.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP