Road Trippin' "This time, its personal."

Comments

• PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Post a link, I haven't seen squat!!! I've just been mopping up this joint while you guys are having all the fun!

Great fish shots thumb.gif

I'll make sure to get that video uploaded sometime soon! ;) Don't worry the shootout hasn't been much fun. mwink.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    I'll make sure to get that video uploaded sometime soon! ;) Don't worry the shootout hasn't been much fun. mwink.gif
    Yeah it really sucked hard mwink.gif. It was great to meet you and the rest of your gang Kelsey. I can't describe how much fun I had hanging out with you and the others on the side of a mountain. You may have me hooked on this climbing stuff but I'm still not sure about the rope jump. I'll get some photos posted in the next couple of days of the climbing. I just got into Iowa after a 21 hour drive and it's time to go to sleep. Did you guys do Castleton again?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    we hopped up

you guys make it sound so easy lol3.gif
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    We made our way into Zion and headed directly for the Narrows which John and I had spent some time in before as well as Tracy but Jess and Richard had never been. We started from the Temple at the end of the road and waded off into the water.

The Narrows for anyone who hasn't been there is a wonderful walk through a canyon where the Virgin River runs. Lots of areas offer pictures in this canyon although I would recommend a tripod since its hard lighting conditions for much of it.

An incredible beautiful canyon, it is easy not to get bored in.
    386379122_H2qHn-XL.jpg

386380703_8WEtX-XL.jpg
    Great shots of the Narrows. I was there June 2007. Zion is on my list of 'do again' places.

What is great about this hike is it is perfect for late morning /early afternoon hikes. The early morning sun doesn't get into the canyon, plus it is still cool as the warm sun rises into the sky. Only later in the afternoon does the river fill with light so you lose contrast and everything turns flat. The first shot above could easily have been taken mid-afternoon.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    It was certainly a memorable experience for me to hook up with you guys at the shootout, not to mention the climbing and slackline flop. You guys are such an energetic and hilarious bunch in addition to being creative and talented climbing shooters. I must be the oldest one in group yet you make me feel young hanging out with the group, except my out-of-shape body reminds me otherwise. Too bad I missed out on the rope jump. I would have tried it if Hoa let me. We got home Monday night and now are trying to recover before going back to work.

Kelsey, you're right about rotating climbing shots to get the most effective perspective. I'll try to post some once I'm done rotating them.:D

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    edited October 15, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    It was certainly a memorable experience for me to hook up with you guys at the shootout, not to mention the climbing and slackline flop. You guys are such an energetic and hilarious bunch in addition to being creative and talented climbing shooters. I must be the oldest one in group yet you make me feel young hanging out with the group, except my out-of-shape body reminds me otherwise. Too bad I missed out on the rope jump. I would have tried it if Hoa let me. We got home Monday night and now are trying to recover before going back to work.

Kelsey, you're right about rotating climbing shots to get the most effective perspective. I'll try to post some once I'm done rotating them.:D

Cuong
    Cuong it was great to meet you. You were a rock star climbing and on the slackline. I still can't believe with all those photographers around no-one caught your flip on the slackline. I can't wait to see your climbing photos, you were up there forever. And your poor hat rolleyes1.gif.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited October 16, 2008
    thanks Cuong we were defintely glad to have you there and your always welcome in our future adventures...I don't know about that gluwater guy though. mwink.gif

Na it was great meeting you too Nick and I am looking forward to your shots! Let me know where they are when you have them out!

My computer died yesterday so I won't have any pictures up for a bit until I can borrow someone elses computer. Its always something!!
    edited October 16, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    thanks Cuong we were defintely glad to have you there and your always welcome in our future adventures...I don't know about that gluwater guy though. mwink.gif

Na it was great meeting you too Nick and I am looking forward to your shots! Let me know where they are when you have them out!

My computer died yesterday so I won't have any pictures up for a bit until I can borrow someone elses computer. Its always something!!
    Looks like you found my rock climbing thread. I didn't want to hijack your thread so I started a new one. Climbing gives you a different photo perspective. Now you need to do one for the rope jump.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    edited October 17, 2008
    We tried to convince others to join us at the Fisher Towers but I wasn't able to get anyone to quit work. Oh well it happens! ;) Hopefully next time.

First we went to the Cobra which is a cool rock climb rated 5.11r and climbed the formation because Jess thought it would be a cool shot. I think maybe were getting somewhere with her!
    heres Jess getting through the crux. next she had to pull the lip.
    395922978_FgVUx-XL.jpg

From the top the view is amazing with Castleton Tower in the background.
    395922225_9j4xF-XL.jpg

And a moment of contemplation before continuing on.
    395922319_LHKPS-XL.jpg

John had been talking about taking a kissing shot on the top of Ancient Art for quite some time. So we had to make it happen. Taking on that kind of exposure is not always an easy thing and Tracy was having a tuff time with it. She breathed deep and took her time but she made it and we were all very proud of her. Jess and Richard shook hands and decided to turn around before the scary part.
    395922418_dRahS-XL.jpg

John acts happy and stands on one leg over 300 feet off the ground.
    395922879_Wu7AH-XL.jpg

The corkscrew summit of Ancient Art and why there is exposure in this climb.
    395922519_Q62jf-XL.jpg

After climbing Ancient Art and having a good ol time we decided to end the night with a sunset climb of Lizard Rock. John clips into the sling wrapped around a rock.
    395922688_7e95W-XL.jpg

Look Ma, No hands!
    395922807_H8TMP-XL.jpg

That night we packed up and headed to Indian Creek with one objective in mind. That was to climb Supercrack and I am still scarred.
    edited October 17, 2008
    We woke up an found the most perfect crack that any of us had ever attempted called Supercrack. It was a thing of beauty. John went at it first and onsighted it! It was really impressive! At the top of the climb we heard "Owwwwww,....Owwwwwww" and it didn't get my confidence up.

John pulling through the technical crux which the guidebook tells you to do completely wrong.
    395923362_kp9rf-XL.jpg

once through the small roof the crack widens a bit. It was a bit cold and John is climbing for the sun.
    395923216_yk9Hp-XL.jpg

This is a perfect crack. The same hand jams until your tire of them. They keep coming and your hands cramp then threaten to stop working.
    395923078_v5vWQ-XL.jpg

John took a lot more pictures then I so I thought I would post a picture of his photo setup.
    395923571_WHvuS-XL.jpg

And that was it for Indian Creek. We climbed one more 5.9 called Twin Hands then headed out. Its probably a travesty to run in and climb just Supercrack before moving on but it gives us a taste of what were in for in the future and I can't wait to go back!
    edited October 17, 2008
    thumb.gifbow

Cuong
    edited October 17, 2008
    I did a large stitch of Supercrack so that everyone could get an idea of its enormity. John is taking pictures and Richard is climbing!
    396081373_T2eVT-X3.jpg
    edited October 17, 2008
    While on this trip I get to be featured on smugmug photography corner. So here it is. :)

http://www.photographycorner.com/blog/2008/10/smugmug-corner-46-kelsey-gray

Smugmug is the coolest group of peoples ever.
    edited October 17, 2008
    I'm so jealous!!!! I wanted to do Fischer Towers but I had to leave first thing Sunday morning. It looks like so much fun. I can't wait to get back to Moab sometime. Or who know, maybe I'll make a trip up to Alaska and visit you guys in your element.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 17, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    While on this trip I get to be featured on smugmug photography corner. So here it is. :)

http://www.photographycorner.com/blog/2008/10/smugmug-corner-46-kelsey-gray

Smugmug is the coolest group of peoples ever.
    Good replies mate, especially on the "crazies" at the end. lol3.gif

thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited October 18, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Good replies mate, especially on the "crazies" at the end. lol3.gif

thumb.gif

Thanks! I appreciate being able to give my little shpleel.
    Horray for Smuggies!
    edited October 18, 2008
    After Supercrack we drove on into the night into Colorado National Monument. This was my first time in Colorado so I hoped that we would be able to do something memorable. I don't feel like we failed!

We hiked an hour into Independence Monument and started up Otto's route which is a 5.8+ and 6 pitches. It was pretty easy going for the first portion with some different then normal sections.
    395927507_Nqrpj-XL.jpg
    The upper pitch was the best and one of my favorite of the trip. You start out climbing up on a slab and then finish on the hardest move of the whole route right before the anchors. An overhanging jug haul with exposure! Jess did one little take before continuing through.
    395927400_jS3iu-XL.jpg

John followed afterward and didn't have much issue.
    395927273_Xjiym-XL.jpg

John pulls through the belay while that orange dot is Tracy with the belay.
    395927654_tA2Wk-XL.jpg

we finished the climb and hiked back out to the car. The Saddlehorn Campground is a really nice campground for anyone looking to stay in the area and we stayed there for another night. In the morning I went on a personal mission to get a picture of the monument. I also found some birds. Quick little buggers
    395927850_BnusM-XL.jpg

I walked around the area and watched the sunrise light up the landscape. There are moments in life when it is necessary to slow down and allow all the small things to become the largest in life. This moment gave me joy when I felt pressured.
    396480691_6PPfy-XL.jpg

Later that morning we stopped by the Dinosaur Museum in Fruita so Jess could see some Dinosaurs and I watched a nice man pull some small teeth out of what appeared to be sand.
    395927749_7b7BB-XL.jpg

So with our climb done and the museum seen we drove off to Boulder, Colorado to meet with our friends Phil and Jeff.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 18, 2008
    You guys should totally write a road trippin' article and submit it to Climbing...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 18, 2008
    Phil, being the nice guy he is, took off of classes to show us around Boulder Canyon and some climbs. I decided I wanted to climb hard and thoroughly tired myself out. Phil decided to try a 5.10a while eating...and did quite well!
    396451347_GGAAJ-XL.jpg

Then came the harder pitch and so he downed the bagle and got serious.
    396450780_aF8PR-XL.jpg

This was one of the cruxes Phil handled it in style.
    396450252_pz3mW-XL.jpg

Sometimes you get real stretched and don't know where to go.

396449537_PgHgP-XL.jpg

And then the holds got really small. He actually used that in the climb.
    396448927_2urqu-XL.jpg

Phil would go on to finish with no falls! It was his hardest flash (climb with no falls after watching someone else climb it) to date. We climbed some more hard routes then went and had dinner at a really nice friend of Johns. Where to next?
    edited October 18, 2008
    We had been told that Bastille Crack was a great climb so we drove into Eldorado Canyon and got right on it. at 5.7 it is not a difficult climb but because of all the climbing the day before I felt especially weak. Still no catastophies and all success.
    Jess and I climbed ahead of John, Richard, and Tracy.
    396447792_pkhTE-XL.jpg

Climbers dotted the walls all around us. We were on the most popular climb in Colorado (as the guide says) and still we had it to ourselves.
    396447415_Rx2RZ-XL.jpg

They were behind us but not to far behind.
    396448534_DR4WD-XL.jpg

John really enjoyed this climb, I am sure I would have more if I wasn't doing so terrible! Reminded me of home though and overall it was a good climb.
    396448158_vUvPG-XL.jpg

Tomorrow we are off to Garden of the Gods...now that doesn't sound like a bad place to be!
    edited October 18, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    You guys should totally write a road trippin' article and submit it to Climbing...

I have thought about it before i just never seem to get the energy to write it up!...which is silly since I write enough just during this thread. Oh well! :)
    edited October 18, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    I have thought about it before i just never seem to get the energy to write it up!...which is silly since I write enough just during this thread. Oh well! :)
    Keep you on the road a tad bit longer :D

Did you guys manage to get up to Ned? It would be farther up Boulder Canyon Drive. Cool little town that hosts the occasional ice climbing festival.
    edited October 20, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Keep you on the road a tad bit longer :D

Did you guys manage to get up to Ned? It would be farther up Boulder Canyon Drive. Cool little town that hosts the occasional ice climbing festival.

Nope we never did make it up that far. We drove on the next day to Garden of the Gods.
    edited October 20, 2008
    We headed to Garden of the Gods which I must say is one of the most crowded parts I have been to. The parking is horrendous and the park small but interesting for sure. Rocks jutting out in just this area as the rest is surrounded by mountains and trees. The rocks are all different colors as well. Quite interesting stuff.

heres Jess climbing succesfully her first 5.10 which she managed up a 5.10b.
    398496038_ic5t2-L.jpg

The climbing here is strange. Standing on pavement and climbing up a baby desert spire is like climbing in a rock gym. There was at one time about 25 people watching John climb this.
    398493230_PGs9h-XL.jpg

the sunset was beautiful with some great colors. A kid climbed this rock on the right and fell off when we were there. The parent watched and didn't really seem to care.
    398487603_uoSLa-XL.jpg

Jess did this climb as her first lead climb ever and didn't make the last move. Here she goes up to see what it was like and would be frustrated at herself for not making the move.
    398485651_f5GMU-XL.jpg

I took this shot on accident and kinda liked it. Since I didn't take many pictures I figured i would post this one too! We only spent a few hours in the park and then headed to Kansas to see Richards parents.
    398483052_jH5id-XL.jpg
    edited October 22, 2008
    Since we are in Missouri we have not had any climbing. Booo but we had time to stitch some photo's so heres a few photo stitches I have worked on.

Heres one of the Delicate Arch

400284130_hnvEE-XL.jpg

And Bryce Canyon. I really love how this one came out.
    400281333_yAnsn-X2.jpg

and John and Tracy's kiss on the summit of Ancient Art.
    400295080_dtQqk-X3.jpg
    edited October 22, 2008
    Those are good-looking panos.thumb.gif

Cuong
    edited October 22, 2008
    The Bryce shot is amazing. Were you able to hike down any? The view from bottom to top is very cool.
    edited October 23, 2008
    Thanks Cuong! I really like Photomerge!

Ian I had hurt my foot the day before and couldn't hike at all...it was pretty lame. I really wanted to go down there but next time I suppose.
    edited October 23, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Ian I had hurt my foot the day before and couldn't hike at all...it was pretty lame. I really wanted to go down there but next time I suppose.
    I hope to get there this winter...and to snowshoe down a ways.
    edited October 23, 2008
    Welp I am in Missouri...not much here. John and I are here because we arrange an entire "Shay" style engagement photo shoot where we found the place. Hid the cameras and John even spent 30 minutes in the river waiting for them to come...It didn't happen because of things we couldn't control but we feel we need to do it again. This view is where we found for the engagement shot. John is in this photo and I hid on the left. Richard who was asking the gal to marry him couldn't even find us and he knew we were there...

400842260_KPzVr-X2.jpg