Nikon D800 and Nikon 14-24 sample image

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited November 1, 2012 in Cameras
Hi guys,

I got my D800 on Friday and took it for a spin that same night. Below is a shot that I captured with the camera and a Nikon 14-24 Lens. I have also attached a 100% crop. I am liking what I see so far and can't wait to use it for my landscapes:

i-v2ftCzs-XL.jpg

100% Crop

i-g3sK25H-O.jpg

Cheers,

Comments

• lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    Was it at 36MP? Could you give more details please, like if it was 36MP how big are the files? What does it take to process a 36MP file, computer wise that is? What is exif info. on the first shot.

And nice work on your website! I look forward to seeing your landscape pics using the D800. Please let us know when you have some ready to show.

Thanks for posting.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    Was it at 36MP? Could you give more details please, like if it was 36MP how big are the files? What does it take to process a 36MP file, computer wise that is? What is exif info. on the first shot.

Thanks for posting.

Yes, it was at 36 MP. The shot was taken at ISO 100, f8 and 4 seconds. The .jpeg file size is 17.5 MB. I have a Quad Core processor computer with 8 GB of RAM bought a year and a half ago and have had no problems processing the files with Capture NX2. I don't see any drop in speed compared to processing my D700 files (or the drop in speed is so small that I haven't noticed).

Cheersm
  • MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    What are the Raw file sizes?
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    MJRPHOTO wrote: »
    What are the Raw file sizes?

Loss-less compressed at 54.5 MB

Cheers,
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2012
    Sweet! The D800 with that lens is an incredible combo. Any way you could post a link to the full size JPG?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited March 26, 2012
    Awesome level of detail. Congratulations Nikhil. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 27, 2012
    Check out the level of detail on today's http://nikonrumors.com/ sample of a D800 photo.
    Phil
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2012
    shniks wrote: »
    Loss-less compressed at 54.5 MB

Cheers,

I'd love to know how big a compressed 12-bit NEF turns out to be. ISO 100 of a white wall or blue sky, and ISO 3200 of a shag carpet. Thanks! ;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited March 27, 2012
    I'd love to know how big a compressed 12-bit NEF turns out to be. ISO 100 of a white wall or blue sky, and ISO 3200 of a shag carpet. Thanks! ;-)

=Matt=

And if I could add on to this. Are you using the new XQD card and if so is the supplied card reader transferring at a fast speed? I am haven't look to see if there are new internal readers with that format for a PC yet.

I found one site that has tested read speeds up to 65mbps but those with card readers that were pre XQD. I wonder if there are card readers that can read that fast considering the large size of the raw files?

Phil

Phil
    Phil
  • Brian_SBrian_S Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    And if I could add on to this. Are you using the new XQD card and if so is the supplied card reader transferring at a fast speed? I am haven't look to see if there are new internal readers with that format for a PC yet.

I found one site that has tested read speeds up to 65mbps but those with card readers that were pre XQD. I wonder if there are card readers that can read that fast considering the large size of the raw files?

Phil

Phil

D800 doesn't use the XQD

great image Nikhil! love the detail
    edited March 28, 2012
    Brian_S wrote: »
    D800 doesn't use the XQD

great image Nikhil! love the detail

Right, only D4, I forgot. Mea culpa.
    Phil
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    Take a photo of a pile of dirt at ISO 6400 14-bit uncompressed, tell us how big the file is.

As much as I would like a D800, my hard drives with kick me out of the house if I get one. rolleyes1.gif
  • DoodlebugsDoodlebugs Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2012
    Image of Marshall Point Lighthouse
    I love, love, love this lens and camera combination. Just got back from Maine where I took this image of the "Forest Gump" Lighthouse at Marshall Point