Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #102 - Spring Quiet

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited May 10, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #102 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.

It will run from Monday, April 30, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, May 14, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The POEM ready for your interpretation: Spring Quiet

by: Christina Rossetti (1847)

Gone were but the Winter,
Come were but the Spring,
I would go to a covert
Where the birds sing.

Where in the whitethom
Singeth a thrush,
And a robin sings
In the holly-bush.

Full of fresh scents
Are the budding boughs
Arching high over
A cool green house:

Full of sweet scents,
And whispering air
Which sayeth softly:
“We spread no snare;

“Here dwell in safety,
Here dwell alone,
With a clear stream
And a mossy stone.

“Here the sun shineth
Most shadily;
Here is heard an echo
Of the far sea,
Though far off it be.”

How you interpret is totally up to you. It can be one sentence, one word or the whole poem! Just make sure your image has a strong inspiration from the poem.

There are no editing restrictions this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS #102 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

Comments

• sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    That's a lovely poem, Joyce....really gets the creative juices flowing! And quite a few of us always welcome another excuse to get outdoors with our cameras......
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Beautiful - I wish we had this kind of springy weather here.... :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    I like it! thumb.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    Interesting poem to illustrate. Of course my mind, being what it is, immediately translated "Spring Quiet" to "Silent Spring" which is almost the exact opposite message.

So I went out this morning intending to take a photo of one particular thing. It is the first photo in this album

https://picasaweb.google.com/106980008852702705641/0502SpringQuietRejects?authuser=0&feat=directlink

which is titled "Quiet Spring Rejects"
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • CambysesCambyses Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    Ok, this poem seems to be pretty wide open to all sorts of interpretations... For example, I see little, if any, correlation between the pictures and the poem in this clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sxNeBXFY_U

-K.
    edited May 4, 2012
    I saw this video too and also read about her and her biography.

After I read several times the poem I actually thought the same way as grandmaR.

I asked my husband to read it and to tell me if it's about a happy, colorful spring scenario or a sad, melancholic thing - he said it was definitely colorful and happy ... :)

I have to admit that I'm confused too headscratch.gif
    Travelways.com
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    I saw this video too and also read about her and her biography.

After I read several times the poem I actually thought the same way as grandmaR.

I asked my husband to read it and to tell me if it's about a happy, colorful spring scenario or a sad, melancholic thing - he said it was definitely colorful and happy ... :)

I have to admit that I'm confused too headscratch.gif

I don't think that everyone's interpretation has to be the same. At least I hope not. (And there are some phrases in the poem ie Gone were but the Winter, that we can't really do now - it is really too late here to do spring photos.)

I didn't think the poem was sad. But my original associate with a quiet spring was with Rachel Carson's book. I don't know if people know that book anymore.

I didn't see the video or read about the author - I just went by the words. ALONE is a sad word. SAFE is a comfortable word. Budding Boughs - pleasant, etc.

But most of the images (sun shining shadily?) are late spring going into summer because in the early spring you don't have leaves on the trees for shade. (And since the leaves are on the trees here, this is a good thing.)

I have done a painting that would sort of illustrate the poem, but I painted it some time ago. I thought that a photo of a painting wouldn't be 'fresh' and would be out of guidelines.

797309-Old_house_in_Tyler_Arboretum.jpg
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited May 4, 2012
    Yes, I know, I thought about all these - that's why I went to read about her and asked my husband's opinion too, because I was not sure about the feelings this poem is about...

Nice painting clap.gif
    Travelways.com
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 4, 2012
    So many interpretations can be done with this, I guess its going to be a real challenge for you all! Leaves it wide open to the reader/photographer. Have fun with it, I look forward to seeing what you all come up with!
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Why am I missing seeing the link to the Challenge Gallery for this one? headscratch.gifdunno

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Why am I missing seeing the link to the Challenge Gallery for this one? headscratch.gifdunno

Don

It might have been hiding behind a white mask.
    Can you see it now?
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    I like the idea of a poem for inspiration! There's enough scope for those of us in the southern hemisphere who are going through Autumn (Fall) to enter as well.
    John
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    sherstone wrote: »
    It might have been hiding behind a white mask.
    Can you see it now?
    Got it, thanks. I use the White skin and don't like white text! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Help! My Challenge entry was eaten
    I just uploaded a photo to the challenge gallery. It is the 4th entry submitted. It's a photo of a little girl in a pink dress picking flowers. I can view it when I'm logged in to the gallery (challenges/challenges). When I log out of the Challenges gallery it's no longer visible.

I use Firefox and cleared my cache to see if that changed anything. It didn't. I tried viewing it with Safari and still can't see the photo.

What's going on? headscratch.gif
    edited May 6, 2012
    richtersl wrote: »
    I just uploaded a photo to the challenge gallery. It is the 4th entry submitted. It's a photo of a little girl in a pink dress picking flowers. I can view it when I'm logged in to the gallery (challenges/challenges). When I log out of the Challenges gallery it's no longer visible.

I use Firefox and cleared my cache to see if that changed anything. It didn't. I tried viewing it with Safari and still can't see the photo.

This has happened in the past. I do not have an explanation about why it happens but the easy fix is to up load the image again and then we can delete the hidden one. In the past I tried things like copying etc.. But uploading the same image again works better.
    Just make sure you check the box to allow duplicates if needed.
    edited May 6, 2012
    sherstone wrote: »
    This has happened in the past. I do not have an explanation about why it happens but the easy fix is to up load the image again and then we can delete the hidden one. In the past I tried things like copying etc.. But uploading the same image again works better.
    Just make sure you check the box to allow duplicates if needed.

Thank you! That worked. thumb.gif
    edited May 6, 2012
    Thank you! That worked. thumb.gif
    Super! I removed the hidden one for you. Thanks for re-uploading.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012

I bet you clicked the "hide photo" box below the image by mistake, so when you logged off, it couldn't be seen...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited May 9, 2012
    HoofClix wrote: »
    I bet you clicked the "hide photo" box below the image by mistake, so when you logged off, it couldn't be seen...
    There's a "hide photo" check box? eek7.gif I never knew that. Will have to keep an eye out for it next time.
    edited May 9, 2012
    Linda, take a look in your own galleries, and you'll see it right there to the right below the enlargement..
    Mark
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    So enjoy the challenges using poetry to inspire! I can see by all the photos so far...that it's going to be awesome but challenging! iloveyou.gif
    edited May 9, 2012
    Linda, take a look in your own galleries, and you'll see it right there to the right below the enlargement..
    Found it, thanks. thumb.gif Now that I'm aware of it, I just need to make sure I don't accidentally click it.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 9, 2012

Whatdoyaknowaboutdat?!eek7.gif I have never noticed that before! Thanks for pointing it out!thumb.gif
    edited May 10, 2012
    Hiding an image is a really good semi-secure way to keep a backup without letting the public see it. I use it all the time, particularly for crash sequences that are in a rider's gallery. I don't want to delete the images in case the rider wants to see how it happened, but also don't want to have them embarressed when the public goes to see it!

Anyway, I am keeping an eye on you guys!!!mwink.gif
    Mark