GPS Mapping / Coordinates

gadams999gadams999 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited October 23, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Yay, I can finally post to the site! :)

I recently starting using ImageIngester Pro to start tagging my photos from tracks taken on my GPS device. It works well and Bridge sees the proper metadata for long/lat/alt.

I created a new gallery and uploaded the JPG's (http://baah.smugmug.com/gallery/3690683). I only noticed after that I didn't have the map feature turned on. After doing so, the "map this" icon still didn't appear.

If I selected "Edit Geography", the long/lat values are there. And if I selected "Update", the image is indeed mappable. But it appears I would need to do this for each and every image.

Also, when I log out to view as guest, the "map this" icon is no longer there. Any qucik tips beyond the help for how to map images?

Comments

• glasbergenglasbergen Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Public or private gallery?
    gadams999 wrote:
    I recently starting using ImageIngester Pro to start tagging my photos from tracks taken on my GPS device. It works well and Bridge sees the proper metadata for long/lat/alt.

I created a new gallery and uploaded the JPG's (http://baah.smugmug.com/gallery/3690683). I only noticed after that I didn't have the map feature turned on. After doing so, the "map this" icon still didn't appear.

If I selected "Edit Geography", the long/lat values are there. And if I selected "Update", the image is indeed mappable. But it appears I would need to do this for each and every image.

Also, when I log out to view as guest, the "map this" icon is no longer there. Any qucik tips beyond the help for how to map images?

Is this a public or private gallery? The 'map this' button doesn't seem to work on private galleries. I have some geotagged photos in a gallery as well and the 'map this' button only appears after I make the gallery public.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Mapping is a tricky one. it is actually dependent on a lot of settings, plus there is an annoying bug.

The gallery:
    -Needs to be a public gallery
    -Needs to have "geography" set to 'yes'.
    -Needs to have "Hello Smuggers" set to 'yes' at both the gallery and site level
    -Needs to have "Hide Owner" set to 'no'
    -Needs to have "External links" set to 'yes'.
    -No password or site level
    -Bug: usually needs a caption to show for some reason. It is bugged, and will be fixed.

It seems to me that the bug is causing problems here. Try adding

to your captions. It will not show anything, it is just a blank space.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Holler if you need any help thumb.gif
  • gadams999gadams999 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Mapping is a tricky one. it is actually dependent on a lot of settings, plus there is an annoying bug.

The gallery:
    -Needs to be a public gallery
    -Needs to have "geography" set to 'yes'.
    -Needs to have "Hello Smuggers" set to 'yes' at both the gallery and site level
    -Needs to have "Hide Owner" set to 'no'
    -Needs to have "External links" set to 'yes'.
    -No password or site level
    -Bug: usually needs a caption to show for some reason. It is bugged, and will be fixed.
    check, check, and double check. No passwords on a public gallery, and all settings for site and gallery match what you have. However, when I first uploaded the pictures, geography was set to 'no'.

And I do have a caption for each photo (GAA_NNNNNNNN_SSSS). Let me try adding a non-break space to the caption.

Not a biggie, but I'd love to be able to have viewers see where the picture were taken....
  • renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    gadams999 wrote:

FWIW, i've had this exact same issue. I had mapping on in a gallery to play around with it, forgot about it, came back months later and no map showed up, so I made sure mapping was enabled, and it turns out i had to update each image (even though the coordinates were already there), then they showed up.

-r