Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Recipe
    Over halfway done with week three and going strong! Yesterday though, i just couldn't eat my lettuce (spring mix). I am not sure if I am tired of it or if I had expired freshness date. Dunno, but today I can't even think about eating lettuce. However, I need my vegis for lunch so I threw some stuff in a pan and it came out delicious. Thought I'd share.

395605660_DZAXo-M.jpg

Warm Vegetable Medly

Ingredients:
    • 4 large carrots, sliced (raw)
    • 1 bell pepper (any color)
    • 6oz sliced black olives
    • 1/3 purple onion, diced
    • 1 small baked potato
    • 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
    • 1 clove garliced, diced
    • various Italian seasonings
    First, dice the garlic and onion, toss in a frying pan with some water or oil to simmer. While the onion is simmering, slice the carrots and bell pepper - toss those in the pan. Peel and cut up the potato into smaller chuncks (i got 8 pieces from 1 tater), toss it in the pan. Add the olives and your seasonings and "stirfry" it for 5 minutes.
    When adding the tomatoes, make sure you don't get too much juice, this isn't a soup (of course it would be more like stew if you added more juice). Put the tomatoes in and mix. Let it cook on low/med heat for 10 more minutes.

The carrots come out warm and soft but crunchy (not actually cooked through or steamed). Everything is just warm and yummy with a nice crunch but not "raw".

If anyone tries this, let me know what you think.
    ~ Lisa
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Oh yeah, it's fall! Scrumptious warm-food weather. Below is a recipe for Velvety Squash Soup. I made this once last year for Christmas dinner, and my mother loved it (always high praise). I made it again this afternoon for lunch, and it was just as yummy as I remember. The original recipe called for chicken broth and half-and-half, but I substituted veggie broth and soy creamer. The soup was a bit sweeter than I recall, so I might halve or eliminate the molasses or cider when I make this again.

This is a rich, very thick soup. Absolutely delicious.

* 1 (3-pound) butternut squash
    * 1 (2-pound) acorn squash
    * Cooking spray
    * 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
    * 2 teaspoons canola oil
    * 5 cups fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth
    * ⅔ cup apple cider
    * 2 tablespoons molasses
    * 1 teaspoon curry powder
    * ¾ teaspoon salt
    * ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
    * ⅔ cup soy creamer
    * Chopped fresh thyme (optional)

Preheat oven to 425°.

Cut each squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place squash, cut sides down, on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.

Combine onion and oil, tossing to coat. Spread onion mixture onto pan around squash. Bake at 425° for 45 minutes or until squash and onion are tender. Cool slightly. Scoop out squash pulp from skins; discard skins.

Place onion and squash pulp in a Dutch oven. Stir in broth and the next 5 ingredients (through pepper); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.

Place half of squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture. Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in half-and-half. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with thyme, if desired.

Yields: 10 servings (1 cup)

Time to make: 1.5 hr
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I have a confession. After starting this thread, taking the advice to heart and losing 20 pounds because of it, I let stress and work and poor planning skills knock me off track. 6 months of that and I put 12 pounds back on.

However, I finally woke up. I re-started in earnest last week and am on my way again. A few days ago I was coming home late from work and I almost pulled into a fast food place - but I decided that I'd rather be hungry than put that crap in my body. deal.gif

Here's to second chances, it's never too late to correct a big mistake! wings.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Oh yeah, it's fall! Scrumptious warm-food weather. Below is a recipe for Velvety Squash Soup. I made this once last year for Christmas dinner, and my mother loved it (always high praise). I made it again this afternoon for lunch, and it was just as yummy as I remember. The original recipe called for chicken broth and half-and-half, but I substituted veggie broth and soy creamer. The soup was a bit sweeter than I recall, so I might halve or eliminate the molasses or cider when I make this again.

This is a rich, very thick soup. Absolutely delicious.

* 1 (3-pound) butternut squash
    * 1 (2-pound) acorn squash
    * Cooking spray
    * 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
    * 2 teaspoons canola oil
    * 5 cups fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth
    * ⅔ cup apple cider
    * 2 tablespoons molasses
    * 1 teaspoon curry powder
    * ¾ teaspoon salt
    * ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
    * ⅔ cup soy creamer
    * Chopped fresh thyme (optional)

Preheat oven to 425°.

Cut each squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place squash, cut sides down, on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.

Combine onion and oil, tossing to coat. Spread onion mixture onto pan around squash. Bake at 425° for 45 minutes or until squash and onion are tender. Cool slightly. Scoop out squash pulp from skins; discard skins.

Place onion and squash pulp in a Dutch oven. Stir in broth and the next 5 ingredients (through pepper); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.

Place half of squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture. Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in half-and-half. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with thyme, if desired.

Yields: 10 servings (1 cup)

Time to make: 1.5 hr

YUMMY. I am going to make this as soon as I have all the ingredients. I'm getting a bit weary of old standbys and this is the perfect time of the year for a nice, hearty, sweet warming soup. thumb.gif
    edited October 24, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I have a confession. After starting this thread, taking the advice to heart and losing 20 pounds because of it, I let stress and work and poor planning skills knock me off track. 6 months of that and I put 12 pounds back on.

However, I finally woke up. I re-started in earnest last week and am on my way again. A few days ago I was coming home late from work and I almost pulled into a fast food place - but I decided that I'd rather be hungry than put that crap in my body. deal.gif

Here's to second chances, it's never too late to correct a big mistake! wings.gif

It's never too late, you're right! I hear you, it's hard to focus when you're busy and can't plan ahead but sometimes all you need is a little kick in the pantz. :D

I have been traveling most of this month and it's just so easy to slip...

Let us know how it goes.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I have been traveling most of this month and it's just so easy to slip...
    They were all fairly minor slips, I think?
    edited October 24, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    They were all fairly minor slips, I think?

It was until the end when I just gave up struggling. I don't think goat cheese omelette paninis on buttery, salty foccacia bread counts as ETL. lol3.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    It was until the end when I just gave up struggling. I don't think goat cheese omelette paninis on buttery, salty foccacia bread counts as ETL. lol3.gif
    I missed goat cheese omelette paninis on buttery, salty foccacia bread eek7.gif
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    I missed goat cheese omelette paninis on buttery, salty foccacia bread eek7.gif

That's what she had at Love Muffin when you had the waffle with fruit! :D
    Travis
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Depends on how you live. :D
    edited October 29, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Oh yeah, it's fall! Scrumptious warm-food weather. Below is a recipe for Velvety Squash Soup. I made this once last year for Christmas dinner, and my mother loved it (always high praise). ....
    I just had to update because I made this soup tonight and I am SO in love with it! I made a few more modifications because I still try to avoid some things like soy creamer and I don't like using/drinking fruit juice. thumb.gif

1 butternut squash
    1 acorn squash

Cut in half, remove seeds. Roast in a 425 degree oven for 45 minutes, cut sides down on a baking sheet. No oil necessary: the squash exuded enough water that kept it from sticking to the aluminum foil. When done, rest until cool enough to handle.

Meanwhile (and since I ran out of room in my oven) I sliced:

1 large red onion
    4 small apples
    6 large carrots

... and water-sauteed in a Dutch oven until they were all tender. I then added to the pot:

4 cups water
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp thyme
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1 bay leaf
    1 squirt of Bragg's Liquid Aminos
    Many many grinds of fresh black pepper

and brought to a boil, then simmered for about 15 minutes until everything was blended and very soft.

Meanwhile, I put 1/2 cup of raw, unsalted cashews into my VitaMix, and scooped out the squash with a spoon. When the soupy stuff in the pot was done, I blended everything in batches (after removing the bay leaf).

The cashews make everything so creamy and the squash makes it sooo sweet. The Braggs gives it a hint of salt that reminds me of the bacon I don't eat. lol3.gif

The only improvement I'd make next time is that I would get myself a real container of curry powder (we are currently out of it) and put a BIG ol' heaping spoon of that in as well. Maybe two. Oh, I'd probably also use homemade veggie broth instead of water, but again I didn't have any on hand tonight.

Thanks so much for the recipe and inspiration, Kerry! thumb.gif
    edited October 29, 2008
    Pomegranates! W00t! clap.gif

Never had 'em before and missed the season last year - even my fussy 12 yo loves them.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Oh man Oh my waist .... is increasing need to cut down some fats. eek7.gifeek7.gif

Tell me

I have stopped taking sugar with tea :cry

Daily I eat peanut butter on bread + sugar free orange juice every morning.

Then i eat lunch in evening after uni

Any suggestion ?
    Is peanut butter fat food ?

Or should i go to my tailor and tell him to add few inches in trousers ?mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Oh man Oh my waist .... is increasing need to cut down some fats. eek7.gifeek7.gif

Tell me

I have stopped taking sugar with tea :cry

Daily I eat peanut butter on bread + sugar free orange juice every morning.

Then i eat lunch in evening after uni

Any suggestion ?
    Is peanut butter fat food ?

Or should i go to my tailor and tell him to add few inches in trousers ?mwink.gif

Two tablespoons of peanut butter has 16g of fat which is quite a bit. The fat comes from the peanut oil. If you are trying to lose weight, then you want to find foods that are high ratio of nutrients to calories (high nutrients, low in calories). Most vegetables are in that category. Most nuts or things derived from nuts are not. Nuts do have other nutrients and protein in them, so once you reach a weight you want to maintain, they are OK as an occasional snack food, but they will not be helping you lose weight.

You can think of fat as something that has nine calories per gram with basically no nutrients. So fat is one of the worst things to eat if you are trying to get a high ratio of nutrients to calories and lose weight. It just gives you calories, no nutriets and does very little to make you feel full.

My secret to losing weight is to eat as many things that are high in fiber as possible (vegetables, some fruits, whole grains, etc...) while avoiding things that are full of calories that have little fiber or nutrition (sugar, oils, fat, white breads, for example). My theory is that the things that are high in fiber make me feel full and satisfied with far fewer calories consumed, thus you can lose weight without feeling like you have to constantly deprive yourself and you regularly feel full. To make this work for me, I have to make sure I have available to me at all times (at work and at home) something to snack on that meets this critieria. Then, when I'm hungry, I have something to eat that will satisfy that hunger but not give me many calories and there's no deprivation involved.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited October 30, 2008
    Awais, one thing I learned from this thread is that eating a fruit (like an orange) is better than drinking it's juice (like orange juice). deal.gif
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:

A friend of mine has a saying that I think sums it up
    "We begin again constantly"

It is never too late to try and improve. All we can do is move forward from where we are today.

Awais, my first suggestion is to increase water and unsweetened tea. That helped alot. I also went with the simplified approach when starting is that if I can't pronounce it (or understand it) I don't eat it.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I just had to update because I made this soup tonight and I am SO in love with it! ... Thanks so much for the recipe and inspiration, Kerry! thumb.gif

So glad you liked it! I'll have to incorporate some of your modifications to it in the future. thumb.gif
  • NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    More news about Type 2 Diabetes in children becoming a common occurrence in America :cry
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 5, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I just had to update because I made this soup tonight ...
    It's that time when soup just feels right.

I'm going to try this.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Dr. Fuhrman is such a goofball!

I just took his test to assess my health. It's a questionnaire that you can take and get a final score and recommendations. My big failing is my lack of exercise.

Overall I scored an 8.4. Who's gonna best me? ear.gif

Warning: if you want to reduce the goofball factor, turn your sound down. mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited November 9, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

That would be me!!! I got an 8.5 blbl.gif

I'm sure if I cut the fish and the occasional order of french fries out, I'd score higher. But I'm thoroughly in the "not at risk" for everything but cancer, and that's still in the "not at risk" and I have quite a bit of family history with cancer.

Thanks for the link! I usually don't take online quizzes but this was worth it.

ETA: I should have read more, he actually just wants me to take Omega-3 and Vitamin D supplements. Not likely to happen, but yeah, not bad over all.

-Trav
    Travis
    edited November 9, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    That would be me!!! I got an 8.5 blbl.gif

I'm sure if I cut the fish and the occasional order of french fries out, I'd score higher. But I'm thoroughly in the "not at risk" for everything but cancer, and that's still in the "not at risk" and I have quite a bit of family history with cancer.

Thanks for the link! I usually don't take online quizzes but this was worth it.

ETA: I should have read more, he actually just wants me to take Omega-3 and Vitamin D supplements. Not likely to happen, but yeah, not bad over all.

-Trav

Heh. You probably lied more.

I take the vitamin D, but not the omegas. I'm pretty sold on Vit D, just not the oil based ones.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 9, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Heh. You probably lied more.

I take the vitamin D, but not the omegas. I'm pretty sold on Vit D, just not the oil based ones.

:D
    I almost lied about the french fries (more like I didn't really think of them), but I went back and changed it after I thought about it a bit. I really should cut those out of my diet, that and the beer.... oh well, that's probably why I'm back up over 170.
    Travis
    edited November 9, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    :D
    I almost lied about the french fries (more like I didn't really think of them), but I went back and changed it after I thought about it a bit. I really should cut those out of my diet, that and the beer.... oh well, that's probably why I'm back up over 170.

For me it's definitely the lack of exercise, the drinking and the history of smoking. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 9, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Dr. Fuhrman is such a goofball!

I just took his test to assess my health. It's a questionnaire that you can take and get a final score and recommendations. My big failing is my lack of exercise.

Warning: if you want to reduce the goofball factor, turn your sound down. mwink.gif
    I clicked the link and immediately got the results for Travis - age 30. I guess it doesn't like me. When I clicked "change answers" it gave me Travis's name and email address (schmoo's significant other).
    edited November 9, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    I clicked the link and immediately got the results for Travis - age 30 - score 8.5. I guess it doesn't like me.

That's so weird, his name and email are filled in for me, too.

EDIT: I think I fixed it, removed the UID (no idea how it got T's info in it to begin with!)
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 9, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    That's so weird, his name and email are filled in for me, too.
    I guess that's why it's Beta. Well - at least I thought i saw a Beta tag somewhere.
    edited November 9, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    I guess that's why it's Beta. Well - at least I thought i saw a Beta tag somewhere.

Very odd! Well, it's not happening anymore. Thanks for fixing that TO. My email isn't exactly a secret, but still. Thanks.
    Travis
    edited November 9, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Very odd! Well, it's not happening anymore. Thanks for fixing that TO. My email isn't exactly a secret, but still. Thanks.
    I pulled in at "7", though it is odd because some of the questions I couldn't provide a good answer given the choices. I may go through it again and see what happens. Thanks for the link David.
    edited November 11, 2008
    Thanksgiving
    I'm going to my cousin's house for Thanksgiving, and I'm starting to think about what to bring. You know, something that'll make everyone else wish they were vegan.

ear.gif

EDIT: I'm not looking for turkey substitutes. I'm not a tofurkey kind of guy. I just want some really satisfying foods that are what they are, not transmorgrified into something they're not. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus