Traveling to Washington State, recommend photo locations

bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
edited December 27, 2015 in Location, Location, Location!
I will be visiting Washington in August from the 1st to the 12th. I am looking for some locations to visit and shoot. I have a few ideas but I want to put together a itenarary. All suggestions will be helpful, especially for interesting events etc happening during that time period. I plan on going to Seattle, the San Juan Island, maybe Grey Harbor, Columbia River Gorge, and the Tri-Ciites.

Thanks in advance.
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me

Comments

• kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I'm jealous, I love WA.

Definitely check out the area around Snoqualmie Falls if you can make it out there- it's about and hour outside of Seattle if I remember correctly.

Also the Ho Rainforest is stunning if you're into that sorta thing. It's a bit of a drive to the area north of Port Angeles, but it's well worth it.

Have a great time! clap.gif
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    kitvan wrote:
    I'm jealous, I love WA.

Definitely check out the area around Snoqualmie Falls if you can make it out there- it's about and hour outside of Seattle if I remember correctly.

Also the Ho Rainforest is stunning if you're into that sorta thing. It's a bit of a drive to the area north of Port Angeles, but it's well worth it.

Have a great time! clap.gif

Great suggestions. I know we will be traveling through Snoqualmie pass and I will make sure we stop and sightsee at the falls.

I haven't heard of the rainforest before, another great suggestion.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • T-photosT-photos Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    bham wrote:
    I will be visiting Washington in August from the 1st to the 12th. I am looking for some locations to visit and shoot. I have a few ideas but I want to put together a itenarary. All suggestions will be helpful, especially for interesting events etc happening during that time period. I plan on going to Seattle, the San Juan Island, maybe Grey Harbor, Columbia River Gorge, and the Tri-Ciites.

Thanks in advance.

Heading out to the Tri-Cities area, stop at the Stone Henge in the evening for some great light!
    edited June 30, 2008
    Tstars wrote:
    Heading out to the Tri-Cities area, stop at the Stone Henge in the evening for some great light!

I googled it. Looks like a great place to go. I have found so many things and places that the 12 days probably won't be enough to see half of what I want. Oh well, just a great excuse to visit again soon. My family will like that.
  • mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    bham wrote:
    I googled it. Looks like a great place to go. I have found so many things and places that the 12 days probably won't be enough to see half of what I want. Oh well, just a great excuse to visit again soon. My family will like that.

Not a photo destination. But....

In Yakima, on your way to the Tri Cities, stop at Miner Burger. You won't regret the detour, although I advise that you come hungry. :)

Also, I just came back from the Tri Cities over the weekend, it was 107. Be prepared for warm.

Mike .
    edited June 30, 2008

In Yakima, on your way to the Tri Cities, stop at Miner Burger. You won't regret the detour, although I advise that you come hungry. :)

Also, I just came back from the Tri Cities over the weekend, it was 107. Be prepared for warm.

Mike .

Well I am not to used to 107 dry heat, but I am used to 95 with high humidity. You sweat in the shade and at night. Thanks for the warning though.

Great eating recommendations are definitely welcome as well. Especially non-chain places. I love the unique atmosphere that only a locally owned place gives you.
    edited June 30, 2008
    bham wrote:
    Well I am not to used to 107 dry heat, but I am used to 95 with high humidity. You sweat in the shade and at night. Thanks for the warning though.

Great eating recommendations are definitely welcome as well. Especially non-chain places. I love the unique atmosphere that only a locally owned place gives you.

Locally owned and operated for at least the last 30 years.

Mike.
    edited July 2, 2008

Mike .

Just talked with my mom, who just finished the move from Louisiana. She said the temperature is a nice relief, actually feels cooler than home (Louisiana).
    edited July 8, 2008
    bump.
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    You could do the 300+ mile loop around Olympic National Park. From Seattle head over on the Kingston Ferry (as suggested by Seymore), visit the senic little town of Port Gamble, then on to Port Angles and you can head up to Deer Park or Hurricane Ridge, then heading West you can stop at Neah Bay (again as Seymore recommended), then head South to Ruby Beach, then to Lake Quinault and the rain forrest. Oh don't forget about North Cascade National Park and Mount Rainier National Park, and there are a few things to see in Seattle too, and that's the West half of the state.

Check out this site for even more ideas http://www.experiencewa.com/ :D
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • DiffDiff Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Pike Street Market in Seattle. Best shooting is at near sunset & when the lights come on. During the day, you could use a tripod, slow shutter speed, to capture people movement while having a colorful background.

Tri-Cities - Not an attractive town and the only thing worth shooting is the cable bridge going from Kennewick to Pasco. It is on the east side of the town. The only time to shoot this is a dusk when the light of the bridge are on, just when the sky is steely blue. Use a tripod.
    ~ Diff ~

edited July 11, 2008
    Diff wrote:
    Pike Street Market in Seattle. Best shooting is at near sunset & when the lights come on. During the day, you could use a tripod, slow shutter speed, to capture people movement while having a colorful background.

Tri-Cities - Not an attractive town and the only thing worth shooting is the cable bridge going from Kennewick to Pasco. It is on the east side of the town. The only time to shoot this is a dusk when the light of the bridge are on, just when the sky is steely blue. Use a tripod.

Thanks Diff.
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Washington has too many great sites for photography, so a plan is a good idea. You won't have enough time to get to all you have listed. The suggestions above are all great.
    Tri-cities is in eastern WA which is on the dry side of the Cascades Eastern WA is as culturally different from Western WA as it is geographically.Tri-Cities is very dry desert and there is not as much to see right there. Within 120 miles, however, you have incredible desert land masses and dry gulches that were reminents of flooding after the ice-age about 10,000 years ago. I suggest you consult the series of regional WA hiking books put out by Sasquatch Books and the Mountaineers; both are sold by Amazon
    The Stonehenge around Goldendale is neat and strange. Also visit the Maryhill Museum near there The building is amazing out in the middle of nowhere. They also have a great Rodin collection. Goldendale is one of the best astronomy sites in the US and there is a wonderful state park there with a large telescope that is open late on certain evenings for public viewing.
    Eastern WA also has some of the best wineries in the US. Hundreds of 'em, the best are in Walla Walla south east of the Tri-Cities by an hour.
    As you head west on I-90 stop off in Ellensburg, a pretty hip cowboy college town The downtown has a great collection of Victorian buildings. There is also the Clymer art museum that features excellent cowboy art--a genre I don't usually appreciate, but this stuff is very good. Also in Ellensburg check out Dick and Jane's Spot which is a private house totally covered on the exterior with quirky folk art. Finally the ultimate reason to stop in Ellensburg is Winegar's, possibly the best ice cream in Washington (at least). They use special old whipping blades to create amazing milkshakes with the best texture; local cows create the cream. Since it will be 100 degrees outside, you'll appreciate this stop.
    Western WA is overload. If you go to the San Juan Islands, realize that the ferry often takes a day, both in waiting time (this is prime tourist season) and in transit. Lopez and Orcas are the most scenic islands. They are all great.
    Greys Harbor is not worth seeing but the Olympic Peninsula is but to do it right is a 3 day endeavor.You will travel on 101 North to Port Angeles. While the national park at Hurricane Ridge is wonderful, it is very crowded. I would recommend you head a little east of Port Angeles near Sequim (pronounced squim) and head south to Deer Park, also part of the National Park. The view south within the mountain interior is better as is the view to the north into Canada. Just incredible actually.
    Before you get to Port Angeles make a detour to Port Townsend, a very lovely small town with beautiful Victorian homes and commercial buildings. Lots of tourists, though, but the parks around there are very photogenic. I got married up there a hundred years ago or so.
    West from Port Angeles is Neah Bay and the above mentioned Cape Flattery. A truly powerful place, you should see sea lions and seals hanging out, maybe some whales lurking about. But it takes a long time to get there. On the way, also check out Lake Crescent the trails leading to cool waterfalls.
    South on 101 on the west side of the Peninsula is the ocean and photographically primo beaches. La Push has 2nd beach which is a must stop. Further south you will get to Lake Quinault. Near there is the Hoh rain forest that has mysterious Spanish moss draping everywhere. And if you follow that all the way you will end up on the trail to Mt. Olympus.
    Seattle is lots of fun, Pike Place Market is a jewel, but also check out the new Olympic Art Park. I'd also recommend a day in Tacoma, especially at the Museum of Glass. It's a Mecca for lovers of glass art and the experience of the Hot Shop where visiting artists "perform" in an amazing site is memorable. Very nice architecture all around the museum district too.
    The Columbia Gorge is worth 2 days, as the waterfalls are special and the adjoining hikes magical. Astoria Oregon is a sweet and pretty place too.

Hope this helps, there is just too much and it's all good.

M
    edited July 21, 2008
    Some great info.

Now anybody have any other food suggestions. I will be creating a tentative itinerary soon, and all the info provided so far has been helpful. Also I definitely want to eat at those unique but great food places that usually only the locals know about, so adding to this thread with some food recommendations would be awesome.
    edited July 30, 2008
    Thanks to much input from many of you this is what I have as my tentative itinarary:

Friday Aug. 1st
    Arrive in Seattle around midnight at SeaTac

Saturday Aug 2nd
    Spend the day around Seattle, Olympia, maybe Whidbey Island, etc
    7:40pm around Snoqualmie ??

Sunday Aug 3rd
    Travel to the Tri-Cities with stops at Snoqualmie Falls, Roslyn, Easton
    Either 5:50am or 7:40pm around Snoqualmie ??

Monday Aug 4th
    Travel from TriCities to Olympic National Park

Tuesday Aug 5th
    Olympic National Park

Wednesday Aug 6th
    Olympic National Park

Thursday Aug 7th
    Columbia River Gorge

Friday Aug 8th
    Tri-Cities area

Saturday Aug 9th
    Goldendale, Maryhill, Stonehenge or on the boat on the river

Sunday Aug 10th
    Goldendale, Maryhill, Stonehenge or on the boat on the river

Monday Aug 11th
    ??

Tuesday Aug 12th
    Leave 12:55pm from SeaTac
    edited July 30, 2008
    bham wrote:
    Thanks to much input from many of you this is what I have as my tentative itinarary:

Friday Aug. 1st

Saturday Aug 2nd
    Driving wise, August 2nd will kill you. It doesn't look like a lot of miles, but it is, especially if you are going to get out and do anything other than drive from Seatac down to Olympia and back and then to Whidbey Island.

Just my 2 cents.

If you get some time when you are up north of Seattle (Edmonds/Lynnwood), PM me and maybe we can meet and I can show you some sights around there, if you have the time and are interested.

Mike.
    edited July 30, 2008
    To reiterate what mike.strock said, throwing Whidbey into the mix is not really feasible. It is way north of Seattle. Also, Whidbey is among the nation's longest islands, so you have to drive quite a bit to see a lot of good stuff in the island. So, catch Whidbey when you come back from the Olympics via Pt. Townshend to Keystone ferry ( I think it is still running--they had an accident).
    If you need to check out Olympia (the capitol is interesting), stop off at Nisqually Delta wildlife reserve off I-5 just south of Tacoma, bring your camera, and hike for a mile or two. Great birds.
    bham wrote:

Friday Aug. 1st

Saturday Aug 2nd
    [deleted]
    edited July 30, 2008
    Yeah I figured Whidbey Island probably wasn't feasible with the other things I wanted to do on Saturday.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    I agree with packing too much in on Aug 2. We were just in Seattle last week (from the Portland, OR area) and it took us 2 hours to drive the 60 miles from downtown Seattle to Olympia! eek7.gif It was partially our fault for attempting to get out of town on a Friday afternoon, but traffic can put a real cramp in plans!

I must admit, I'm a bit perplexed at heading out towards the Tri-Cities area at two different times in your trip. If I were you, I think I would just plan one large loop, rather than traversing across Washington twice. Is there a reason you're not doing the Gorge/Goldendale/Maryhill/Stonehenge immediately after the Tri-Cities and then finishing up in Olympic National Park? There seems to be a lot of unecessary mileage in the current plan, but maybe I'm missing something.

It sounds like you're planning to see a lot of terrific locations! I hope the weather is as stellar as it has been all summer and that you get many great photos!

EDIT:
    I apologize if you've already stated your reasoning for your itinerary, but I thought I'd throw out this basic suggestion:
    Start with Seattle and maybe Whidbey
    Snoqualmie
    Tri-Cities
    Gorge/Goldendale/Maryhill/Stonehenge/Gorge
    Olympic NP
    Olympia
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    More info
    I'm afraid that I have to chime in here too and say that Whidbey is a day all in itself. I've lived there for about ten years in the past. There is a lot to see, but, like most places, it's all off the main road (except for Deception Pass Bridge).

I now live pretty close to Snoqualmie Falls and to be honest, the best photo ops, aren't necessarily at the tourist stop, but still close by if you know where to go. Here's some IR shots I took there a couple of weeks ago: http://www.karenanda.com/gallery/2848304_72i3S#335772883_DVzxw

I also noticed that it looks like you may be planning to stay overnight near Snoqualmie? Not too sure where there is to stop except for some very run down motel, or at the Salish Lodge overlooking the falls which is pretty $$ unless I am completely forgetting something - I would just check that one out beforehand :)

I have had many days of frustration where I try to fit WAY too much in and end up with nothing (including nothing in the gas tank). I have learned to visit far fewer places and really spend quality time at those places. For example, on that first Saturday, you could easily spend the entire day in Seattle at Pike Place Market, downtown (space Needle, monorail, and EMP, etc.) and the Waterfront (ferries, etc.). I have driven through Olympia many times, but never found the time yet to stop and find anywhere to photograph :(

I agree with the other places you have listed as it sounds like you may have allowed more time for them and they are gorgeous!

I hope this have been somewhat helpful. Please feel free to ask me for clarification on anything if you'd like.
    edited July 31, 2008
    Well the reason for the trips to the Tri-Cities is where I have family living. And it is really home base for the trip. It was just hundreds of $$ cheaper to fly into Seattle.

Good suggestion to hit Olympia on the way to ONP on Monday. Really I have some favorite shots from like 1996 on BW film that I want to redo digitally. I am sure we also will want to go to Lacey and see the house I lived in as a kid.

Yeah after looking for places to stay near Snoqualmie I quickly found that we will be staying in Seattle and I will just have to drive over to the falls for some late evening light. Does anybody have a good suggestion on what time some falls shots would be good. I was thinking 6pm or after. I have some ND filters as well.

Yeah I think I am going to have to skip Whidbey and the SJ Islands this time around. Every other trip back we have always managed to spend a day up that way. Maybe I can head up near there on the 11th to see some friends who live in Anacortes(sp?). And spend the night before heading to the airport on Tuesday.

Yeah on the Saturday or Sunday depending on my uncles day off, we will be heading to the area near Goldendale. He lived there for 20+ years and knows it well. The other day we will be going out on my stepfathers boat on the Columbia in the Tri-Cities area.
    edited July 31, 2008
    bham wrote:
    Yeah after looking for places to stay near Snoqualmie I quickly found that we will be staying in Seattle and I will just have to drive over to the falls for some late evening light. Does anybody have a good suggestion on what time some falls shots would be good. I was thinking 6pm or after.

If you checked out my photos, the last ones were taken around 8:30pm and I was losing light, and of course when you get here the sun will be setting even earlier, but 6pm should give you some time as long as you have your sites all staked out and aren't wanting to hike up and down the trail looking for the best vantage point.
    edited July 31, 2008
    Its hard to get a feel of the light from an IR photo.

Do you have a link to any photos of the actual falls.
    edited July 31, 2008
    bham wrote:
    Its hard to get a feel of the light from an IR photo.

Do you have a link to any photos of the actual falls.

I agree that it is hard to tell - sorry about that. I haven't taken any of the falls yet because I want to do something different as I don't want mine to look like the thousands of other shots out there and the shot I have in mind requires a lot of set up which I haven't manged just yet. There are basically two views that you can get: 1) From the top looking down. This is limited by the number of vantage points at the top, the most popular being from the undercover of the pagoda. 2) From the bottom looking up. You can either hike down a trail or drive down and park, but either way you will have to clamber over a fence and down onto the rocks to get any shots. If you are going to choose #2, make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get into position and you may lose your light behind the trees early...

You can just google images of Snoqualmie falls and get a feel of the two different angles.

Hope that helps...
    edited July 31, 2008
    make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get into position and you may lose your light behind the trees early...
    quote]

You say early, can you put that in a time value. 6:30, 6:45, ??? According to sites sunset is now about 8:30pm there.
    edited July 31, 2008
    bham wrote:
    You say early, can you put that in a time value. 6:30, 6:45, ??? According to sites sunset is now about 8:30pm there.

I would have to say 6pm to give yourself enough time to find where you want to go and to get there and get set up. The quality of light at 6pm is pleasant enough to start shooting anyway. Hope that helps.
    edited July 31, 2008
    Yes that does, thanks.

Any more food suggestions anyone. Especially around the ONP area.
    edited August 1, 2008
    3 Crabs
    The 3 Crabs in Dungeness by the outstanding Dungeness Spit (worth hiking on) is a much loved seafood restaurant. It's not great, but there is not great eating on the Peninsula.
    http://www.the3crabs.com/
    On your way to Olympia, the best eating is Korean in south Tacoma. Or North Seattle/Lynnwood on Hwy 99. Look up the locations of the Hosoonyi restaurants. Outstanding Korean, just go with an empty stomach as it is tough to stop from over-stuffing oneself. Order the seafood pancake with some unrefined rice wine (not quite saki). You may have to wait on a line in the evening, but lunch too is great. Soft tofu soups are amazing too.

M
    bham wrote:
    Yes that does, thanks.

Any more food suggestions anyone. Especially around the ONP area.
    edited August 1, 2008
    Seymore wrote:
    Well, which side of the park are you going to. NE/N or SW/W? Port Angeles is NE/N and Amanda Park/Forks is SW/W...

Plan to start near Sequim and end near Amanda Park over a couple days. So please recommend anything good on the 101 between.
    edited August 1, 2008
    bump for any other good places to eat.