Canon Error Code 5010...

SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited April 8, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
The setup:
So the local CompUSA is going out of business and I picked up a new PIXMA MP600 unit for $89.99, awesome deal for what it is. However upon plugging it in duing the initial set up it gave me the Error Code 5010 in the LCD. I googled it, went on Canon's support site but it seems this is a wide spread problem and very few know what to do other then swapping it out. Well I can't as all sales were final so here's the meat of the post.

The question:
I will be bring it to an autherized Canon repair facility but do you think they'll fix it or will I have to wait for it to be sent to Canon and swapped out for another one or the newer MP610??

Is Error Code 5010 the kiss of Death to my unused MP600.... :cry

Comments

• SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Okay so it was the kiss of death error code, something to do with the flat bed scanner. Canon is shipping out a refurb unit of the same model for free, should get it in 3 days, and it comes with a prepaid lable to return my broken one. And I still have the whole factory warrenty for the replacement one.

All in all it seems to be worth it knowing the savings I got on the unit in the first place.
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Okay so it was the kiss of death error code, something to do with the flat bed scanner. Canon is shipping out a refurb unit of the same model for free, should get it in 3 days, and it comes with a prepaid lable to return my broken one. And I still have the whole factory warrenty for the replacement one.

All in all it seems to be worth it knowing the savings I got on the unit in the first place.
    Sounds pretty cool. I've never had a problem with Canon products. And Canon drivers always seem that much more 'together' than either HP or Epson.

I sure wish Canon would support the CD printing function built into these printers, though. I don't like the idea of having to use the European driver when I'm already getting great results with the local version. I'm afraid it
    might mess things up!
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    xris wrote:
    Sounds pretty cool. I've never had a problem with Canon products. And Canon drivers always seem that much more 'together' than either HP or Epson.

I sure wish Canon would support the CD printing function built into these printers, though. I don't like the idea of having to use the European driver when I'm already getting great results with the local version. I'm afraid it
    might mess things up!

I am in the same boat with an iP6000D that I have heard can be modified and the European driver used to get the CD printing but have not done so. Have you? How did it turn out? How hard was it actually?
    Thanks
    Jane B.
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Jane B. wrote:
    I am in the same boat with an iP6000D that I have heard can be modified and the European driver used to get the CD printing but have not done so. Have you? How did it turn out? How hard was it actually?
    Thanks
    Jane B.
    Well, as I said I'm reticent to change my drivers and break something. So, no. I haven't actually made the move. I have confirmed that the mechanical, CD-handling, features are already there on my two Canon printers. But I still have to order a CD tray and then do the driver thing: if a decide to go for it. I may do it on the printer I'm not using, just as a test. But that means a hundred bucks worth of ink, just to test!
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • NikthomasNikthomas Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 8, 2008
    Error
    Hey guys, I live in England, Europe and my MP600 came with a CD tray, i presume it had europe drivers and tis all working fine... But..... i have now received the error 5010 and i bought the printer over a year ago :cry

I have informed canon and am waiting a reply...