Announcing: Komodo Drop

Comments

• firecat53firecat53 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Couple of Linux issues
    Hi :) Great little program! I'm running it on Ubuntu 7.10/AMD64/Gnome/Compiz. Uploading and log displays work great! The 'manage' functions seem to work sporadically, if at all. Once when I clicked the 'delete album' function, I actually got the list of albums from our accound and I could delete one. The rest of the time, however, I just get a plain box with 'Delete album:' or 'Delete category:' with nothing else and no way to close the box without killing the program.

Another minor issue is that I need to use the keyboard to move through the menus. Using the mouse most of the time I can only move up to about the upload line, and then the menu disappears. No big deal ..... :) Also, there seems to be no system tray icon and if I hide it from the menu, it stays disappeared!

Let me know if I can provide any other info to help troubleshoot these problems.

Scott
  • philipphilip Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Can't get it to run (Linux noob)
    Okay, I've had _very_ prompt help via my email. Just incredible - many, many thanks. I'm leaving in a few hours for vacation, so I won't be following this thread for a week or two, and I won't be able to post confirmation of solving the problem.

Hi, Figbug,

I've dropped you an email as well, but it may be that someone here can help me. I downloaded the compressed file into my My Documents directory of my EEE PC (Xandros), decompressed the file, and now I have the executable KomodDrop in my home directory. I can't get it to run, and I understand it's supposed to show up in my tray, which it doesn't.

Any clues to share, anyone?
    --
    The Civilized Explorer
    civex.smugmug.com
    cieux.com
  • figbugfigbug Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    I've updated KomodoDrop to work with all the latest changes in the API.
  • corbosmancorbosman Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Hi figbug, just to let you know that on OSX it works perfectly now. Very good stuff, thanks! Cant imagine not using this tool :)

Cor
  • JuliaJulia Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Just a quick note... I've been using Komodo Drop successfully for a couple months, and suddenly, it's started telling me that my "images failed to upload" and asks me if I want to try again. But, the images upload fine. ne_nau.gif

Is it only me that's happening to? It's not a problem, but it's weird. rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 27, 2008
    Julia wrote:
    Just a quick note... I've been using Komodo Drop successfully for a couple months, and suddenly, it's started telling me that my "images failed to upload" and asks me if I want to try again. But, the images upload fine. ne_nau.gif

Is it only me that's happening to? It's not a problem, but it's weird. rolleyes1.gif

I've fixed it. Download again.
  • JuliaJulia Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    figbug wrote:
    I've fixed it. Download again.

:ivar Back to working normally. Thanks!!!
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Great program, thanks!

The one feature it would need to become my main uploader is this -
    When adding to a new album - I need to be able to choose from "Quick Settings" options. Your program does allow me to chose from several of the important gallery settings, but not all (square thumbs, among others). If there was a way to choose from my quick settings it would be perfect!

Thanks
  • SNPSNP Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 1, 2008
    figbug wrote:
    New versions online - Windows, Linux & Mac

New features:
    - An icon, so it looks more professional
    - An installer on the pc
    - On the mac, you can now drop files on the dock icon
    - Accepts filenames to upload on the command line, shouldwork with lightrooms export
    - Option to open web browser when upload completes
    - Password and Password hint on new albums
    - Upload queue to see status of files being uploaded
    - Uses standard menu bar on the mac
    - Better duplicate checking

enjoy

Hello everyone, my first post here and it is about this excellent little application by figbug!

I'm really enjoying it as it is very lite and fast. I actually downloaded the binary for my Arch x64 OS and it works very well. The drag & drop does not work for me (I am using Thunar as my file manager) but I am using the upload dialog box to do my business, to a satisfying degree :)

I would like to ask for some more information on the command line attributes. How does it work exactly? I changed to my albums directory and tried KomodoDrop filename.jpg with no result. I was thinking of adding a command/script to thunar so I could right click on a selection of JPGs and send them to KomodoDrop to upload.

And while I'm at it, I would like to make some tiny requests if I may :)
    I wouldn't even bother with my file manager and use KomodoDrop's file selection dialog box if it only had some support for Thumbs and maybe some saved locations (I'm guessing the second is easier than the first :P :)

Thank you for such a beautiful little application that get's the job done :)
  • BugglesBuggles Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 6, 2008
    Smug Mug Komodo Eee help
    I am having a very hard time getting this to work on my Eee. I have untarred the Linux download and now have a file there. It doesn't do anything when I try to run it...any ideas? I'm a newbie so I apologize if this is a dumb question!
    edited May 14, 2008
    Buggles wrote:
    I am having a very hard time getting this to work on my Eee. I have untarred the Linux download and now have a file there. It doesn't do anything when I try to run it...any ideas? I'm a newbie so I apologize if this is a dumb question!

Make sure permissions are set correctly
    chmod 755 KomodoDrop

Make sure you have glibc
    sudo apt-get install build-essential

Then run it
    ./KomodoDrop
    edited May 14, 2008
    SNP wrote:
    I would like to ask for some more information on the command line attributes. How does it work exactly? I changed to my albums directory and tried KomodoDrop filename.jpg with no result. I was thinking of adding a command/script to thunar so I could right click on a selection of JPGs and send them to KomodoDrop to upload.

That should working. It looks like there is a bug with spaces in filenames, but other than that, it should work.
    edited May 14, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    The one feature it would need to become my main uploader is this - When adding to a new album - I need to be able to choose from "Quick Settings" options. Your program does allow me to chose from several of the important gallery settings, but not all (square thumbs, among others). If there was a way to choose from my quick settings it would be perfect!

I don't think I can access quick settings from the API, but I could store my own quick settings. Several new settings have been added, I'll try and support them soon.
    edited May 14, 2008
    New version!
    • Added support for uploading video files
    • Added category name to album name in lists
    • Added ability to upload all folders in a folder

komodo.rabien.com
  • voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    How QUEUE up albums ?
    Any way to queue up a bunch of albums to upload to a particular subacategory. Or do you have to upload one album at a time ?

Marty (dotfur.com)
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Played with this today. NICE! I love the multi-threads. Now I can just queue up and forget it. clap.gif

The only thing I noticed is that on videos, it seems to be loading the entire video before starting the upload. I've got 6 in queue right now that have been sitting for a while. The file server shows that files are being read, but slowly (700k/sec).
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Komodo Drop Questions
    I forget : does/can Komododrop upload my local folder structure ? Can I create categories in in my SmugMug Site, and subcategories in those categories ? Then have Komododrop upload a folder full of sub folders of photos up to my SmugMug account .... keeping my folder structure ?
    Does Komodrop keep or lose my EXIF or even some IPTC ?
    Does/can Komododrop bulk / batch resize ? If it resizes , does it keep or lose my EXIF or IPTC info?
    How doe Komodo drop do with auto captioning or keywording when it comes to SmugMug ?
    It would be great just to see it compared to Star Explorer which, at the moment, is great for me except that its' resizer loses all the exif /iptc info.

Thanks for any info,

Marty ( voicelit),
    http://dotfur.smugmug.com/
  • peter@ciauk.competer@ciauk.com Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2008
    Not working on linux - requires GLIBC_2.4
    And unfortunately, according to linux forum posts I've read, GLIBC_2.4 doesn't exist, the release went from 2.3 to 2.5. And I thought I had found heaven, being able to upload photos directly from my Asus eee PC running its derivative of Debian linux.

I've seen earlier similar posts, I have apt-get upgraded build-essential, and my eee PC says it's already up to date.

Any clues?

Pete
  • iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Hi figbug,

I'm looking for an app to quickly upload images (and videos) to SmugMug, and KomodoDrop seemed like it would be a good solution.

It installs just fine on my (Windows) system, but unfortunately it won't let me log in to my account: all I ever get is "Invalid login" (the same as with three other apps!). See this thread - DevBobo suggested the cause may be the password isn't properly URL-encoded when sent to the server. Could you have a look into this please? I have a "strong" password with a combination of letters, numbers and other characters, so DevBobo's idea sounds plausible to me.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
    edited October 21, 2008
    iamback wrote:
    Hi figbug,

I'm looking for an app to quickly upload images (and videos) to SmugMug, and KomodoDrop seemed like it would be a good solution.

It installs just fine on my (Windows) system, but unfortunately it won't let me log in to my account: all I ever get is "Invalid login" (the same as with three other apps!). See this thread - DevBobo suggested the cause may be the password isn't properly URL-encoded when sent to the server. Could you have a look into this please? I have a "strong" password with a combination of letters, numbers and other characters, so DevBobo's idea sounds plausible to me.

I think I've found the problem, DevBobo is most likely correct. It is a problem with URL encoding. The characters "," and "$" need to be encoded if they appear in the parameter part of a url, but otherwise not. I'm guessing most programmers are never encoding them, hence your problem. You can try removing those two characters from your password and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, send me an email at figbug@gmail.com with the word "komodo" somewhere in the subject and I'll send you a beta build with the fix.
  • iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    figbug wrote:
    I think I've found the problem, DevBobo is most likely correct. It is a problem with URL encoding. The characters "," and "$" need to be encoded if they appear in the parameter part of a url, but otherwise not. I'm guessing most programmers are never encoding them, hence your problem. You can try removing those two characters from your password and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, send me an email at figbug@gmail.com with the word "komodo" somewhere in the subject and I'll send you a beta build with the fix.
    I agree that probably most programmers aren't URL-encoding the password, given that 5 out of 6 programs I tried have the problem. The API documentation really should mention that this is necessary.

There are more characters that can have a special meaning in a URL, unless encoded, such as "+" and "#". And, I always use a "strong" password (letters, upper- and lowercase, numbers, and other characters), which is perfectly fine with SmugMug. Devbobo did a test with the characters of my password, and URL-encoding solved the problem. He then directed me where to make what change in the SmugBrowser plugin, and that solved the problem for SmugBrowser. Then I went digging in the code for SmugManager, found where the login URL was built, applied the equivalent change there - and problem solved. I've also been digging in the code for Fotofox and found where to make the change (probably) but I've yet to test that, because it's inside a jar.

But, all of that is JavaScript, so anyone who can at least read that a bit can make such a patch themselves given the name of the function to apply. Not so with KomodoDrop. I'll send you an email, I'll be happy to betatest for you - but I'm convinced that URL-encoding the password is the solution - I'm guessing C# has a standard function for that, too? Simply (technically) put, any program that uses a URL with GET parameters to login with SmugMug must URL-encode the password because a password can contain characters that otherwise have a special meaning (or correspond to a space). If C# doesn't have a standard function for that (I've never used it so I'm not sure), RFC 2396bis (see sections 2.1 and 2.2) has all the details.

Email on the way!
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • BasilyBasily Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 5, 2008
    Can't get it to work on AA1 Linpus Linux
    My girlfriend has a new Acer Aspire One running Linpus Linux, and while I have used KomodoDrop on Windows XP (Great program by the way!!!) I can't seem to get the Linux version to work.

The program starts up, but when I click on the target, the menu pops up and then the program becomes unresponsive. I can only close the program by ending the process.

Any advice? Has anyone gotten KomodoDrop to run on the Linpus Acer Aspire One?
  • RmurrayPhotoRmurrayPhoto Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2009
    Wonderful Solution!!!!
    I have been strugling with send to smugmug for a few days now and trying to get a sports job posted in time to actually make some sales. I fought with it until 2:00 A.M. and then did some google searching and came across this thread. I love it! It works beautifully and uploads much faster than I was able to with the other app. No hangups so far except that I noticed after adding another folder to the que it goes to a -% but that's really not a big deal for me. I am just happy to have a solution that allows me to get my bulk photos posted quicker. Great work! Thanks a bunch!!!!
  • techkytechky Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2009
    Drag and drop not working?
    I'm not able to drag and drop onto the target to upload. Is this working for anyone else?

I'm using Windows 7. This is an awesome app because I can max out all 16 threads and get really fast uploads. Thanks!
  • FrodeFrode Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    techky wrote:
    I'm not able to drag and drop onto the target to upload. Is this working for anyone else?

I'm using Windows 7. This is an awesome app because I can max out all 16 threads and get really fast uploads. Thanks!
    Drag and drop works fine for me on Win7 64bit.

A huge thank to the author. I've been struggling with 100-150KB/s uploads on a connection capable of nearly 4MB/s. Support's been no help and I actually more or less stopped using Smugmug for a year or so because putting images up was such a pain.

KomodoDrop has solved this issue for me beautifully. The only potential issue I see is that some might need more than 16 threads. For some reason each of the threads are twice as fast as a standard upload for me, so the 16 managed to do the trick in my case.

Well, another issue is that people have to manage to find the application to work around the limitations in the official solution. Which shouldn't be necessary.
  • medusa1066medusa1066 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 20, 2010
    Suggestions and etc..
    GREAT SCRIPT!! Running on Windows XP. I think a brief readme file would help explain some of the features to beginners, especially setting the number of threads.

My percent complete is in the negative while uploading/creating multiple folders...maybe the percent should reflect the entire que. Also, froze/really slow on a video upload (size is <= 5 minutes). Again, great little program!
    edited May 15, 2013
    Not sure if anybody is still using my program, but I've finally updated it so it works properly with Smugmug again. The code is now on github. Scoll all the way down for the downloads:

https://github.com/FigBug/komododrop
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited May 18, 2013
    Just tested on Win 7, 32 bit, just a few JPG files. Went perfectly on DSL.

I very much like the clean interface and sensible combination of features. Love the ability to choose the number of threads for upload.

Thanks so much for your work on making this happen. thumb.gifthumbclap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • peterfreethpeterfreeth Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 28, 2014
    I can't get KD working on Ubuntu 13.10.

I've downloaded the tarball, that appears to run fine until I drop a file to upload. I've put in my user details etc. but the category list is blank. If I click the down arrow, I get '(no choices)'.

If I upload an image and then check Status > Log, I see:

Info: Logged in session (some numbers)
    Error: Invalid method

I've tried compiling from the source too, but it won't compile. I've done the premake and download juce, but when I make, I get a screenful of errors like this one:

virtual const Drawable* getDefaultDocumentFileImage() = 0;
    ^

The fact that there are so many errors makes me think this is an obvious problem, maybe a missing file or a wrong path.

Can anyone help? I've tried every uploader for Ubunutu suggested in the wiki and I can't get a single one to work. I've even tried the Windows uploaders under Wine, and still no joy.
  • peterfreethpeterfreeth Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2014
    Re my last post - problem solved. Or rather, it's because Smugmug have broken the API. I spent a few hours yesterday compiling DigiKam 4.0 from source and it works perfectly.

I'd still much rather have just an uploader without having to put all my images into DigiKam first, but at least it's fast.

So now the question is, when will KomodoDrop be fixed to incorporate the new API calls?
    I can't get KD working on Ubuntu 13.10.

Error: Invalid method