• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Thanks, but I mean the pickchas of the contraption...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks, but I mean the pickchas of the contraption...

Oh yeah, that would be helpful! I'll get those up tonight.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    Ok, so I didn't get the pictures up that night. ne_nau.gif

But here they are, finally.

1. Complete system with caps on
    322543463_ejjVh-M.jpg

2. Front element with cap removed
    322543692_PigQ6-M.jpg

3. Back with cap removed
    322543878_m8hQZ-M.jpg

4. Looking through the back
    322544047_4yMaw-M.jpg

5. Looking through the front
    322544249_6DjtA-M.jpg
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,879 moderator
    edited June 30, 2008
    Looks great Lisa. thumb.gifthumb.gif

I wound up using a body cap for attachment also. After awhile, it does loosen up and the tube pulls off more easily than I'd like.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Ok, so I didn't get the pictures up that night. ne_nau.gif
    But here they are, finally.
    Lisa, thank you very much for sharing!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I wound up using a body cap for attachment also. After awhile, it does loosen up and the tube pulls off more easily than I'd like.

yeah, I'm looking into a way to secure the body cap better. Still working out finishing touches. I'll definately post new pictures when I get everything completed. I have a few ideas, but nothing concrete yet.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    I ended up going a totally different route.

Went to a local camera / photo shop where I know they have boxes of junk and one of the staff is very helpful ... and asked if they'd got any EF fitting lens that was completely 'naff '

Guy roots around and produces a plastic mount 28-80mm / 3.5-5.6 which has loose bits rattling around inside and asks a fiver ($10) for it.

Take it home, strip all the guts out, find a PVC pipe fitting which 'just fits' in the front ...make a ply disc with hole in centre for the objective, job done :)

... works (already had an objective) - and also get a plastic tub full of interesting odds / sods to mess around with :)

pp
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    I ended up going a totally different route.

Went to a local camera / photo shop where I know they have boxes of junk and one of the staff is very helpful ... and asked if they'd got any EF fitting lens that was completely 'naff '

Guy roots around and produces a plastic mount 28-80mm / 3.5-5.6 which has loose bits rattling around inside and asks a fiver ($10) for it.

Take it home, strip all the guts out, find a PVC pipe fitting which 'just fits' in the front ...make a ply disc with hole in centre for the objective, job done :)

... works (already had an objective) - and also get a plastic tub full of interesting odds / sods to mess around with :)

pp

Very cool! I was thinking of going down a similar route but decided to just follow Ziggy's instructions first, then refine my own design thumb.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    Well, before I bought the scrap lens, what I was actually looking for was something like a plastic drinks bottle (with screw top) that'd just slide over my extn ring set (Kenko).

Reason being that I reckoned that having a flared / tapered neck - leading to a top that was just big enough to take the rms objective thread would offer 2 advantages over a flat ended rig.

1. Easier from the light positioning pov (esp. with v. short working distances)
    2. Should the rig ever be used in a dynamic situation - rather than a static one ... having a smaller dia at the end of the lens system provides a (slightly) greater range of angles if resting the end of the 'lens' on the same surface as the subject ... thus of use if trying to get down to eye level with small critters.

Also - having a screw top would (assuming got other bottles / caps) offer the possibility of readily interchangeable objectives - if wanting to try different mags etc :)

I'll prob come back to it when not got other things to do etc.

btw - well worth asking about scrap stuff, imo - as they're only too glad to get rid of such stuff ( just grovel...) - incidentally, if you remove the front optics from a similar lens, you get a half reasonable zoom macro jobbie :)

pp
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    Well, before I bought the scrap lens, what I was actually looking for was something like a plastic drinks bottle (with screw top) that'd just slide over my extn ring set (Kenko).

Reason being that I reckoned that having a flared / tapered neck - leading to a top that was just big enough to take the rms objective thread would offer 2 advantages over a flat ended rig.

1. Easier from the light positioning pov (esp. with v. short working distances)
    2. Should the rig ever be used in a dynamic situation - rather than a static one ... having a smaller dia at the end of the lens system provides a (slightly) greater range of angles if resting the end of the 'lens' on the same surface as the subject ... thus of use if trying to get down to eye level with small critters.

Also - having a screw top would (assuming got other bottles / caps) offer the possibility of readily interchangeable objectives - if wanting to try different mags etc :)

I'll prob come back to it when not got other things to do etc.

btw - well worth asking about scrap stuff, imo - as they're only too glad to get rid of such stuff ( just grovel...) - incidentally, if you remove the front optics from a similar lens, you get a half reasonable zoom macro jobbie :)

pp

That's a good idea. I was trying to think of a way to make interchangeable lenses. Still trying to figure out a way to have more working distance, but the math escapes me ne_nau.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    << Still trying to figure out a way to have more working distance, but the math escapes me >>

My understanding is that it's a fact of life / optics that we've just got to live with ... for this sort of configuration.

There's all manner of useful info here - and of specific interest (for the sort of rigs under discussion) is the 'Technical + Studio / Macro + Closeup' forum.

Many ppl use mic objectives / enlarger lenses etc

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/

pp

edit
    whilst I realise this thread is about 'cheap' micro work, this is worth reading (imo) if you want to go a bit further.
    http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1521
  • Options
    rihariha Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 24, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Thanks Nik.

Once I get an appropriate mount figured out, I'll share that too. I'm working on something to allow a fairly portable solution that doesn't weigh too much or become intrusive for the camera.

My thought right now is to use a camera body cap, punch out the middle to allow the image to pass and mount the tube directly to that.

I wold take an look at an T-adapter, those are used for Astro photo, it is an adapter/ring with an thread in one end and Nikon, Canon, Pentax or whatever mount in the other end. Maybe you can screw it and glue it onto the "lenstube" and get an working mount.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    Oh, didn´t see Lisas post about using an extension tube, that was an great idea.

The T-adapter i talked about might be much cheaper than an extension tube, but if you already have an Extension tube then it might be an easy choice.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    riha wrote:
    Oh, didn´t see Lisas post about using an extension tube, that was an great idea.

The T-adapter i talked about might be much cheaper than an extension tube, but if you already have an Extension tube then it might be an easy choice.

Welcome to DGrin!

Actually, a body cap works great and is only a couple bucks. Just needs something to cut out the center with (I used a dremmel)
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Welcome to DGrin!

Actually, a body cap works great and is only a couple bucks. Just needs something to cut out the center with (I used a dremmel)

Ahh, you are right.

Did i really read it that wrong???
    Sorry, I can see that you wrote body cap in your earlier post.

And thanks for the "welcome".
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    I did it!
    Alright. I told you guys that I would figure out how to make the cheap microphotography a little more portable and extend the use. I did it!

Cost breakdown is as follows:
    4x objective: 7.50 USD
    10x objective: 19 USD
    Bellows: 36 USD
    Microscope Adapter: 20 USD

For right now I put some gaffer's tape around the objectives to fit them into the microscope adapter. I want to find a female threaded peice that i can put into the adapter and screw the objective into, just haven't found one yet.

Not quite as cheap as the original project. However, now I can use just about any objective as my "tube" is expandable. It's pretty sweet!

Here are the photos of the unit.

1. Closed bellows, 10x objective in the adapter.
    400397016_qAjEv-M.jpg

2. Bellows open.
    400397552_ZBdpY-M.jpg

3. With the objectives removed.
    400399007_T8vjF-M.jpg

Here are a couple photos I took with this setup. I am not great at focus and all that yet, but I think they will show you what is possible.

4. A hand of my watch with the 4x objective.
    400399547_A7pcM-M.jpg

5. Edge of the gaffer's tape with the 10x objective
    400399805_cwTGV-M.jpg
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    Wow, Lisa, you went out, girl! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    Amazing device!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Wow, Lisa, you went out, girl! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    Amazing device!clap.gif

Thanks Nik!

I'm loving it so far, I even found a piece to screw the objectives into. Now it will look even nicer.:ivar
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,879 moderator
    edited October 23, 2008
    Lisa, that's awesome! thumb.gifthumbclap.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Lisa, that's awesome! thumb.gifthumbclap.gifclap

Glad you like the modifications.

Here is a shot of the whole system in use with a microscope slide.

431438039_eHU6e-L.jpg
    ~ Lisa