Options

Canon 50mm 1.4 vs 1.8

carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
edited October 22, 2008 in Technique
A request please...........

Could someone possibly demonstrate to me the difference between 1.4 aperture and 1.8 by taking the same subject, close up, 2,5 would also be helpful.
I'm not asking for reviews of the lenses but an actual demonstration of the difference between the apertures.

Hope someone can help me out here :-)

Caroline
Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Caroline, this is very easy to find via google, and I've linked several comparisons on dgrin over the years.

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/50mm/bokeh/bokeh.htm

http://www.differentsun.net/50mmbokeh

http://photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50

and here on dgrin.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    Ooooh David, I sense your irritation at my apparent laziness - please accept my apologies :-)
    Anyway I had googled but didn't come up with first link you gave which was exactly what I wanted so thanks your post was not in vain.

Caroline
    DavidTO wrote:
    Caroline, this is very easy to find via google, and I've linked several comparisons on dgrin over the years.

[/URL]
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,811 moderator
    edited October 19, 2008
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2008
    Thank you so much for directing me to this post, it is actually much more the answer I was looking for :-) I currently have a 50m 2.5 macro lens and was toying with the straight 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 , the latter really in view of the cost of the 1.4. I'm looking to do some close ups at max aperture but not real macro shots. I've read all the data from Canon on these lenses but it doesn't help visualize the end result. If you have any further tests filed away or advie I would be very pleased to hear it.
    Thank you very much,

Caroline
    ziggy53 wrote:

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    caroline wrote:
    Thank you so much for directing me to this post, it is actually much more the answer I was looking for :-) I currently have a 50m 2.5 macro lens and was toying with the straight 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 , the latter really in view of the cost of the 1.4. I'm looking to do some close ups at max aperture but not real macro shots. I've read all the data from Canon on these lenses but it doesn't help visualize the end result. If you have any further tests filed away or advie I would be very pleased to hear it.
    Thank you very much,

Caroline

Neither lens is very good for close focus. I do use a close-focus diopter attachment lens on the Canon EF 50mm, f1.4 USM with good results. I'll take some photos and post back with links to full resolution images you can revue.

I do recommend the f1.4 version over the f1.8 because in normal use the f1.4 tends to yield a much higher percentage of images in focus. The f1.8 requires much more attention to focus properly or you must take many more images to achieve an acceptable number of in-focus shots.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I'll take some photos and post back with links to full resolution images you can revue.

Thanks very much this would be very helpful.
    Have you any hands on experience if the 50mm macro 2.5 ?

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Neither lens is very good for close focus. I do use a close-focus diopter attachment lens on the Canon EF 50mm, f1.4 USM with good results. I'll take some photos and post back with links to full resolution images you can revue.

Here is the Canon EF 50mm, f1.4 USM mounted on a Canon 40D body and a Sony VCL-M3358 close focus diopter on front. Illumination was by flash, -2 FEC, a Sigma EF 500 DG Super flash.

The first image is at infinity focus:

399551036_EcxMN-XL.jpg
    Full size image: http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/photos/399551036_EcxMN-O.jpg

The same setup at minimum focus distance:
    399551736_6ATjo-XL.jpg
    Full size: http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/photos/399551736_6ATjo-O.jpg

A more natural subject at minimum focus distance:
    399552311_xFcuA-XL.jpg
    Full size: http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/photos/399552311_xFcuA-O.jpg

A crop from the above at 100 percent and with a single dose of IrfanView sharpening (Just because ...):
    399552384_iwWP8-O.jpg
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    caroline wrote:
    ... Have you any hands on experience if the 50mm macro 2.5 ?

No, unfortunately the 50mm macro f2.5 does not meet my design requirements for a macro lens. One of my next lenses will probably be the Tamron SP 90mm, F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro, which does meet my requirements.

The reason I use the 50mm, f1.4 with the close-focus diopter is more a matter of convenience than anything else. The host lens is a permanent part of my travel kit. The diopter is just a useful expedient. The quality is not terrible and saves me hauling around another lens.

A nice thing about the diopter is that it allows a reasonable distance from the subject which allows a better positioning of the illumination.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    No expert here, but I have a 1.8. Great lens... within the limitations of what it does well. It's sharp, and it's fast. What it ISN'T is a good a close focuser. It will hunt and hunt, and I invariably find myself leaning or stepping back until it finds a sweet spot to grab focus.

Don't get me wrong - it's great for the price - but that low price DOES mean that it has some shortcomings... and fast, accurate close focusing is one of them :)

Just my n00b 2c.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    Thank you so much for your help with this and for posting those samples, very helpful :-)

I think I need to spend some time experimenting with what I have, ie the 50mm macro lens, and comparing output to your results. Food for thought here, I'll post some samples for your consideration in a few days.

Cheers,
    Caroline

[/URL]