Options

50D vs 5D MKII

David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
edited October 15, 2008 in Cameras
I shoots sports, mainly dance competitions, Football and soon some Lacrosse. I have seen many people say both points about the new 50D and announced soon to be released 5D MKII. If you could buy one or the other for sports and the price didn't matter and from time to time you may shoot some headshots and things which would you use??

Seriously...

David
www.phabulousphotos.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    The 5D II is in no way a sports camera. For sports you need speed, the 50D has 6+ fps, no question of the two, the 50D will do you better for sports.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    The 5D II is in no way a sports camera. For sports you need speed, the 50D has 6+ fps, no question of the two, the 50D will do you better for sports.
    15524779-Ti.gif

The 5DmkII is a fine art, landscape, and portrait camera. The 50D has the telephoto benefit of crop factor making it better for sports as well. Plus, the $ you would save could get you some great lenses that would seal the deal of making a great sports shooting package.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

The 5DmkII is a fine art, landscape, and portrait camera. The 50D has the telephoto benefit of crop factor making it better for sports as well. Plus, the $ you would save could get you some great lenses that would seal the deal of making a great sports shooting package.

Andy, Swinton Photo..

Thanks, it was a question I had to ask... I am working on upgrading my Rebel XT that is attached to my Canon 70-200 2.8 L and wanted to make sure. If I was going to spend $ I wanted to make sure what I needed next would do what I needed. 60% of the time I get the move but the other 40% would sure be nice to have a shot at it so to speak.. Then again that HD movie deal was really appealing... But not this time... 50D it is ... After XMAS probably...

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited October 14, 2008
    I shoots sports, mainly dance competitions, Football and soon some Lacrosse. I have seen many people say both points about the new 50D and announced soon to be released 5D MKII. If you could buy one or the other for sports and the price didn't matter and from time to time you may shoot some headshots and things which would you use??

Seriously...

David
    www.phabulousphotos.com

For what you shoot I would seriously consider the Canon 1D MKIII. The AF speed and accuracy is considerably better than the 50D and coupled with the EF 70-200, f2.8L USM (with or without the IS) and the EF 300mm, f2.8L IS USM it makes a killer combination for outdoor sports. For the dance competition maybe add the EF 24-70mm, f2.8L USM.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    For what you shoot I would seriously consider the Canon 1D MKIII. The AF speed and accuracy is considerably better than the 50D and coupled with the EF 70-200, f2.8L USM (with or without the IS) and the EF 300mm, f2.8L IS USM it makes a killer combination for outdoor sports. For the dance competition maybe add the EF 24-70mm, f2.8L USM.

I have considered 1D MKIII but it is out of my price range. If my girls didn't dance I could afford it, but if they didn't dance I wouldn't really need it Laughing.gif.. I did splurge on what I needed as far as glass goes the rest will have to wait..I could not afford the IS 70-200..

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    jovittajovitta Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    hi
    just got the 50D myself what a nice camera. The LCD has 920,000 pxs very nice in the sunlight, very bright colors, if you upgrade to this camera you will really like it. I upgraded from a 30D. and I love this 50D clap.gif oh ya and with the new digic 4 Proc. very fast in large JPEG up to 60 shots in a burst at 15 megapixels. Although I shoot all raw format. If you have any ? about the camera please ask thanks Jovitta.
    BE YOURSELF FRIENDS WILL LIKE YOU FOR YOUR OWN UNIQUE PERSONALITY AND STYLE
    http://jeffovittphotography.com
    Member; NANPA
    Equipment: Canon 5D, 1DS, 16-35 F2.8, 70-200 F4, 580EX Flash, Galen Rowell GND filters, Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter, Lee filter holder,Gitzo 2227 tripod & monfotto 3221 tripod, Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead,
    Epson 3880 pro pinter, CS5, Nik software complete edition, Photomatix.