Options

Shadow/Highlight tutorial

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited April 24, 2005 in Finishing School
Well, it might not be exactly what Ginger was after, but I did dig up a Dan Margulis article about this feature. If I eventually write a tutorial, this will probably be my primary source.

You can get free access to this article online, but you will have to register with Electronic Publishing the magazine that published it. Here are instructions about how to access this article:
  1. Visit http://ep.pennnet.com/home.cfm
  2. Search for "From Russia with Love" (the title of the article.)
  3. You will see the article and be prompted to register and/or login if you want to read it.

Dan publishes a regular column Make Ready every other month. This column is printed in both Electronic Publishing and in Photoshop User, but Dan prefers the Electronic Publishing version because it uses his images at a larger size and because the columns are wider.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Well, it might not be exactly what Ginger was after, but I did dig up a Dan Margulis article about this feature. If I eventually write a tutorial, this will probably be my primary source.

You can get free access to this article online, but you will have to register with Electronic Publishing the magazine that published it. Here are instructions about how to access this article:
    1. Visit http://ep.pennnet.com/home.cfm
    2. Search for "From Russia with Love" (the title of the article.)
    3. You will see the article and be prompted to register and/or login if you want to read it.

Dan publishes a regular column Make Ready every other month. This column is printed in both Electronic Publishing and in Photoshop User, but Dan prefers the Electronic Publishing version because it uses his images at a larger size and because the columns are wider.

thanks, rutt thumb.gif
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    <SNIP>.
    Interesting article, thanks for the link.

This seems like a good spot to pass along a quick tip regarding challenges like these, where you want to make seperate adjustments to highlights, midtone, and shadows: =>>>> Selection masking (instead of a contrast map)

{I might miss a keystroke here and there, steps describe more principle than action step by step}

Create a copy of the layer CTRL-J
    Desaturate (or channel mixer monochrome) that layer. ( copy 1)
    Blur a little (1-3 pixel gaussian)
    Duplicate layer (copy 2)
    Make copy 1 active again
    Treshold Copy 1
    Create alpha channel 1 with image.
    make copy 2 active
    Invert
    Treshold Copy 2
    Create alpha channel 2 with image
    Now Image Calculation
    Exclusio of Alpha 1 and alpha 2.

Done correctly you now have three channels, one channel that selects the highlights, one channel that is mid and one channel for shadows, each which can be loaded as a selection and can have its own adjustments including H/S. Each channel can be selected and feathered if picture calls for that.

XO,

ps I apologize for this tip not being very Photoshop 101, but I am thinking if you are ready to use this, you are also ready to understand the brief tip above ;=) enjoy.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com