Options

Vincent Laforet's Weekend with the 5D MKII

Comments

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    sbressler wrote:
    As Vincent said, Canon is serving it up from Akamai servers (they host the Apple HD trailers), which have the capacity to host the video without a hiccup.

Ah ok. I knew I missed something :D
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    SimonMWSimonMW Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    Sure, the 5D mk II looks great, but what does that say about their Professional Line of HD Camcorders?

The ergonomics of the 5D mean that it will be extremely compromised in most video shooting conditions. The lack of an angled viewfinder for one thing seriously limits it. Notice also how there are no follow focus shots. You would not be able to focus properly on the fly with this camera at the different angles required during most video production. Nor would you be able to pull or push the iris due to the set f-stop points on stills camera lenses.

HOWEVER, the fact that Canon have managed to put such a sensor and recording ability into the 5D does beg the question of why video manufacturers cannot put this quality into their video cameras. I'd like to get a PDW-700 as the upgrade for my current video camera. But I am wondering what the point would be if the quality from it would be less than that of a DSLR! Ie, what exactly am I paying for with the 700 apart from the ergonomics and standard video features (such as audio connectivity etc)?

If the price of a camera like the 700 is because of the internal electronics processing, then it appears from the 5D that the CCD or CMOS block is not really one of the factors that affects overall price that much.
    My website
    My Smugmug gallery
    Pentax K10D
    Canon 60D
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    Have you thought about it from the other side Simon?

Canon's video dept and makers of other video cameras are going to have a very tough time in the near future. Expect them to have some tough questions to answer at NAB (the video version of PMA)

Their customers are going to be demanding at least the picture quality thats coming out the 5D MkII without skimping on any of the features you mentioned. It would be interesting to see the sales numbers of prosumer DSLRs vs prosumer video cameras for how large each market is.

I could see Canon putting the 5d (or even 50D) sensor into a video body like the Canon XL2, they would have to totally redesign the lenses they have for that range. Is it totally far fetched for them to call it EF-v, make it compatible with still lenses and include some extra electrical connections for follow focus etc on their video lenses?

Total pie in the sky stuff but don't expect video customers to let us camera geeks have all the fun.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    The 5D II has a Video out connector that lets you transfer the video signal
    live to any screen that you like. If that's took bulky there is also the ZigView
    device that can do exactly this.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    Manfr3d wrote:
    The 5D II has a Video out connector that lets you transfer the video signal
    live to any screen that you like. If that's took bulky there is also the ZigView
    device that can do exactly this.

A zigview wouldn't help here, because it's designed to sit on the optical viewfinder - and the mirror is up for video of course.

You'd need to hook up an external display and maybe attach it to the flash shoe or something.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    pyry wrote:
    A zigview wouldn't help here, because it's designed to sit on the optical viewfinder - and the mirror is up for video of course.

You'd need to hook up an external display and maybe attach it to the flash shoe or something.

I am sure this will be created soon...or maybe smugmug as a community can create it and sell it, now we are on to something. wings.gifbarbwings.gifbarb

I do agree that this is really needed to make this video feature of the camera really usable.
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    tomautotomauto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    The Video is up!!
    Hurry and download it!! You have to have quicktime installed.

Right now just Canon wants to host it.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/09/22/without-further-ado-reverie/
    I’m proud to finally share this short film with everyone - no time for words - let’s let the moving images do the talking… Here is the raw footage (downsized to 1/4 resolution) from the prototype EOS 5D MKII that Canon allowed me to borrow over a 72 hour period. Many thanks to David Sparer and everyone at Canon….
    My Smugmug Site! http://tomauto.smugmug.com/
    Canon Quality l Canon 30D l Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS Lens l Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS Lens l Canon 580ex ii Flash l Canon 580ex Flash l Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip
    Strobist 101 kit l Bogen / Manfrotto Super Clamp l Westcott Umbrellas - Soft Silver Collapsible and Optical White 43" l Bogen / Manfrotto 3373 Light Stand l Photoflex Multiclamp

• Options
    I have a question for you:

Mr. Laforet says that he shoot the whole video with only one battery
    - the one that came with the Camera.

The preview on dpreview says that the new battery is exactly the same
    size as the old BP-511 battery from the 5D (50D,40D,...).

Link (on the very bottom): http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkII/page3.asp

Has anyone heard if the old type fits in the new 5D or if it doesn't?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    No it doesn't. the pins are in a different place.

compare this pic of the new battery:
    newbattery.jpg

to the old BP-511:
    41etNdGhvML._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    Thanks!
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    jogle wrote:
    No it doesn't. the pins are in a different place.

The length looks the same, but on the flip side the old battery has a groove in it and the new battery is smooth, so it should not even be able to slide into the camera. I wish the 50D used the new battery.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    A few things.

1) I got to spend the day with Vincent - great guy!

2) I got to see the out-of-camera videos from the 5D Mark II, they are ever bit as good as he says so, here
    http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/09/24/we-will-be-releasing-raw-video-clips-from-reverie-this-friday/

3) We started work on the indie film project, and we'll have more to come on that we hope this Friday!

4) He and I are collaborting on a cool NYC Shoot. Hopefully next week. It involves Helicopters and gyro stabilizers and multiple 1Ds IIIs an' stuff. W00000000000p :D

5) Did I mention he's an awesome guy?

379854354_pw2Zv-L.jpg
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    A few things.

1) I got to spend the day with Vincent - great guy!

2) I got to see the out-of-camera videos from the 5D Mark II, they are ever bit as good as he says so, here
    http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/09/24/we-will-be-releasing-raw-video-clips-from-reverie-this-friday/

3) We started work on the indy film project, and we'll have more to come on that we hope this Friday!

4) He and I are collaborting on a cool NYC Shoot. Hopefully next week. It involves Helicopters and gyro stabilizers and multiple 1Ds IIIs an' stuff. W00000000000p :D

5) Did I mention he's an awesome guy?

Sounds like a wonderful day! And I can't wait for the a recap of the NYC shoot. :D
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,744 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    Nice equipment on his desk.
  • Options
    JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    That video looked NICE! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Heehee, love the artwork on his walls....he sounds like real people
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    Andy,

can I be your sidekick?? I'll work for free coffee!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    Awesome, Andy! Thanks for keeping us posted! wings.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    That is superb ! mwink.gif

Ted Side kick position is already filled lol :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    Vincent's film turned out much better than the guy at Gizmodo testing the D90 video rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    NomadRip wrote:
    Vincent's film turned out much better than the guy at Gizmodo testing the D90 video rolleyes1.gif

The link is not working for me... But the D90 is only 720p, you can not compare the two and did the maker of the D90 video have a 5K budget?
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    No $5k budget or helecopter.

But he did have a rubber ducky and a cute cat. beat that vincent! rolleyes1.gif
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    NomadRip wrote:

I did not realize it was a joke...my bad...see what happens when I can not see a link...
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Zoiks! I am going to need a faster computer. My machine is only playing about half the frames. Maybe the right answer is a new video card with H.264 support.
  • Options
    My fairly recent Macbook pro (2.2ghz core 2 duo, ATI Radeon X1600, 3gb ram) is very jumpy and stuttery, only playing the clips at 22 - 24 fps (quicktime will tell you in the movie inspector).

Anyone know of any tricks to speed it up? I'd hate to go back to the days of doing offline edits with lowres proxys.eek7.gifeek7.gif
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
  • Options
    jogle wrote:
    My fairly recent Macbook pro (2.2ghz core 2 duo, ATI Radeon X1600, 3gb ram) is very jumpy and stuttery, only playing the clips at 22 - 24 fps (quicktime will tell you in the movie inspector).

Anyone know of any tricks to speed it up? I'd hate to go back to the days of doing offline edits with lowres proxys.eek7.gifeek7.gif
    Post in the Vid forum, or in the Dig Darkroom forum, we have loads of geeks here!
  • Options
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Zoiks! I am going to need a faster computer. My machine is only playing about half the frames. Maybe the right answer is a new video card with H.264 support.

See what Vincent had to say:
    you will not be alone - they play without a hiccup on my MacPro and MacBook Pro… my MacBook Air (besides displaying only 1/4 of the image) can’t even try to play this clip… these are HEFTY clips… 1080p at 30 fps is a lot to ask…. pushing 1920 x 1080 pixels 30 times a second requires a powerful machine.
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    Mine plays smoothly as long as I am in full-screen mode - in windowed mode it is a bit choppy. Something to try...