Options

SmugShot and Aperture - Not Friends?

pjppjp Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited January 4, 2009 in SmugMug Support
I'm not really sure where the problem lies, and it could easily be on my end, but this is the behavior I'm seeing:

Pictures taken in the SmugShot application can't easily be imported to Aperture. I have SmugShot configured to save its pictures on the iPhone. When I connect the iPhone to my MacBook Pro and launch Aperture, I can see the SmugShot pictures in the Import window, but Aperture won't import them. If I do "Import All" the SmugShots don't come in. If I click on just the SmugShot, Aperture just doesn't recognize that I've selected it.

I then imported all of the pictutes via Image Capture. That grabbed all the pictures just fine, SmugShots and others. I was able to then import them into Aperture. But the SmugShots carry less EXIF info then those taken in the native Camera app. Notably, there is no Camera Make, Camera Model, GPS.

Incidentally, I note that when images uploaded via SmugShot appear on SmugMug, they don't even display the image date/time.

Does anyone else encounter these same issues? Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    Please forgive the bump, but I'm hoping this got lost in the holiday shuffle, and maybe someone can chime in on this issue.

Cheers
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    pjp wrote:
    I'm not really sure where the problem lies, and it could easily be on my end, but this is the behavior I'm seeing:

Pictures taken in the SmugShot application can't easily be imported to Aperture. I have SmugShot configured to save its pictures on the iPhone. When I connect the iPhone to my MacBook Pro and launch Aperture, I can see the SmugShot pictures in the Import window, but Aperture won't import them. If I do "Import All" the SmugShots don't come in. If I click on just the SmugShot, Aperture just doesn't recognize that I've selected it.

I then imported all of the pictutes via Image Capture. That grabbed all the pictures just fine, SmugShots and others. I was able to then import them into Aperture. But the SmugShots carry less EXIF info then those taken in the native Camera app. Notably, there is no Camera Make, Camera Model, GPS.

Incidentally, I note that when images uploaded via SmugShot appear on SmugMug, they don't even display the image date/time.

Does anyone else encounter these same issues? Am I doing something wrong?
    Hm.
    Put your Can you import manually? Something's not right and I don't know what. Can you link us to a SmugShot image of yours.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hm.
    Put your Can you import manually? Something's not right and I don't know what. Can you link us to a SmugShot image of yours.
    Hi Andy. I can import to Aperture by first importing them to my hard drive via Image Capture, and then in Aperture by browsing to where I saved them in Image Capture.

My SmugShot gallery is here. The most recent shots are taken in SmugShot; the earliest were taken in the native Camera app and uploaded via SmugShot. Guess you can tell by the resolution, too.

At any rate, thanks for your help.

Cheers.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    pjp wrote:
    But the SmugShots carry less EXIF info then those taken in the native Camera app.

Yeah we'll be improving that in a future release, for sure.
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah we'll be improving that in a future release, for sure.
    Looking forward to it!

Any thoughts on the rest of my issue?
  • Options
    TheDuckTheDuck Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Smugshots not yet geotagging?
    I thought I'd give smugshots a try and I'm noticing the same results as the original poster - very little EXIF stored, and no GPS geotagging at all. I do have "settings" to allow the GPS.

Any progress on the issues raised above?

Be seeing you,
    The Duck
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    TheDuck wrote:
    I thought I'd give smugshots a try and I'm noticing the same results as the original poster - very little EXIF stored, and no GPS geotagging at all. I do have "settings" to allow the GPS.

Be seeing you,
    The Duck
    Hi, SmugShot is a GPS enabled app. Got a link to your SmugShot photo(s)? ear.gif

Example: http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoAlbum&Data=5327768_k4DQi
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, SmugShot is a GPS enabled app. Got a link to your SmugShot photo(s)? ear.gif
    Andy, any progress on the point about having more EXIF info saved?
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    TheDuck wrote:

Be seeing you,
    The Duck
    Duck- you have SmugIslands set to "No" so you don't have maps.

Your SmugShot photo you linked to me in PM indeed has Gedata. If you enabled mapping, you'd see it on a map.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    pjp wrote:
    Andy, any progress on the point about having more EXIF info saved?
    Shizam will do it one day. Right now he's working on some other stuff, but the 'more exif' in the SmugShot files is a request I love.