Options

Skagit Valley Tulips

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited April 22, 2008 in Landscapes
From the annual Skagit Valley Tulip Festival (about 70 miles north of Seattle), there are tulip fields all over the place, and a few display gardens as well.

Anyway, here are some of my favorite shots of the tulip fields this year, I'll probably go up one or two more times (I snuck a daffodil field from earlier in there too):

283535279_9tAAa-L.jpg

281473390_HzMW3-L.jpg

283533653_mkAp6-L.jpg

283532261_7XVgb-L.jpg

281465513_PKYRb-L.jpg

282352797_eaqYE-L.jpg

275326985_iYYwt-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dirtfandirtfan Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    what a great place I would love to see it person,great shots by the way.
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Nice!!

The second one would be a wallhanger for me.

clap.gif

Also...
    I really appreciate your use of a modest signature instead of the whopping watermarks that some place on their work.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Also...
    I really appreciate your use of a modest signature instead of the whopping watermarks that some place on their work.

davidweaver, cool it with the incendiary watermark snipes. Andy has already said his piece re: this topic.

Ron these are absolutely awesome. I know that tulips glow like fantastic gemstones with the sunlight hits them and I imagine seeing these in person was even more breathtaking than your shots! Great job capturing the sun at the perfect spot, too. thumb.gif
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Wow, great content. I love the framing very much. The only noticable problem I saw was the red saturation being a bit heavy. Other than that, I loved it!
    Cheers!
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Mmmmm, very nice Ron.

When will this be over? I may be in the area next weekend.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Mmmmm, very nice Ron.

When will this be over? I may be in the area next weekend.
    They'll definitely be around this weekend and possibly next as well.

Here's a good map of the fields (most of my shots were at fields 20 and 28):

http://www.tulips.com/bloommap.cfm?body=bloommap08.cfm

For macro/detail shots, you'll want to check out the RoozenGaarde Display Garden (to the right of 21), the flowers are in general more robust (and more variety) than you'll find in the fields.

Another good field is at Tulip Town ($5 admission):

http://www.tulips.com

Go early to avoid crowds, it'll be busy on the weekend. I actually took Friday off from work to go, and it was still reasonably busy. The sunset shots were also taken on weekdays (impulse trips after work).

Anyway, even if you're not going to take photos, the flowers are incredible (although my infatuation with tulips not only borders but eclipses the bounds of rationality, so you may wish to solicit a more neutral opinion).
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I agree that the red saturation on the second photo is heavy, at least on the monitor I'm at right now, but the one I did the post-processing on looked OK (I think).

Someday I'll figure out this color management stuff. Probably be a few years, usually once I upload a photo I'm done with it, when I get around to printing some of these off then I'll have to pay more attention :D

Forgot to include the links to the full galleries.

Here are the fields:

http://photos.coscorrosa.com/gallery/4778040_6wU9c

And some close-up/detail/macro shots:

http://photos.coscorrosa.com/gallery/4708779_MtVEP