Options

The Full Screen Slideshow Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    I went ahead and again deleted all customization (Bio, CSS, Header Java, Header, Footer, body tag, head tag, etc.). My site should now be "default". i logged out and clicked on the slideshow button in Firefox.

Galleries reset to Theme: Smugmug Classic, Appearance: Smugmug

No go.
    So you can view slideshow on cmac.smugmug.com but not here

http://www.greyleafphoto.com/gallery/4413851_9wjJu#259302251 ?
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    So you can view slideshow on cmac.smugmug.com but not here

http://www.greyleafphoto.com/gallery/4413851_9wjJu#259302251 ?

I can see (in Firefox) both the cmac.xxxx... slideshows.

I could see (in firefox went not logged in to my account) the slideshow of the above gallery when I clicked on the slideshow button. However, that is because External Links for that gallery was turned on.

I turned off the external links, cleared Firefox's cache, and reloaded that gallery. Clicking the slideshow button now gives me a black screen.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    In WebDev 1.1.5 I get this on my site
    272954617_fRyRG-M.png

The text of that error is:
    YAHOO.extend(SM.flash.Slideshow,SM.flash.FlashAdapter,{play:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'play'});}},pause:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'pause'});}},nextSlide:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'next'});}},prevSlide:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'back'});}},goToPosition:function(position){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'goToIndex',index:position});}},setSpeed:function(speed){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'setSpeed',speed:speed});}},toggleThumbs:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'toggleThumbs'});}},showThumbs:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'showThumbs'});}},hideThumbs:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'hideThumbs'});}},resize:function(size){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'resize',size:size+'URL'});}},height:function(dim){this._swf.height=dim;},width:function(dim){this._swf.width=dim;},swf:function(){return this._swf;},pauseFetch:function(){if(this._canLoadSWF){this._swf.preCallback({cmd:'pauseFetch'});}},resumeFetch:function(){if(this._canLoadSWF){this._swf.preCallback({cmd:'resumeFetch'});}},cleanUp:function(){if(this._slideshowLoaded){this._swf.extHookHandler({cmd:'cleanUp'});}},loadSlideSWF:function(){if(this._canLoadSWF){if(!YAHOO.env.ua.webkit){this._swf.preCallback({cmd:'beginLoad'});}

It seems to be sproradic. Even when I do not see this error I still get no FSSS.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Curious - do you all think the problem is on my end or SM's end? If it's me is there anything else I can try?

Also, I am going to go ahead and move all the customization back, unless you all want to leave it clean. Let me know.

Thanks.
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    HoyBoy wrote:
    For reference see here.

Andy, we're making progress. I did as you requested. Cleared the cache [again :D] and tried my gallery. Didn't work. Black screen only. Tried your first suggested gallery. It didn't work either. Black screen only. Tried the 3rd (this one: http://cmac.smugmug.com/photos/swfpo...AlbumKey=f3ta9 ) and what do you know?! It worked! I hope this helps track down the problem.

Chris

Andy, not intending to pester, but just wanted to update you that nothing has changed for me since this post. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Curious - do you all think the problem is on my end or SM's end? If it's me is there anything else I can try?

Also, I am going to go ahead and move all the customization back, unless you all want to leave it clean. Let me know.

Thanks.
    Since you can see FSSS on cmac.smugmug, it's something on your site and we are stumped right now!
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    HoyBoy wrote:
    Andy, not intending to pester, but just wanted to update you that nothing has changed for me since this post. Any thoughts?
    Not pestering at all...

What happens here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3149558_S4CwL/1/175800247_zirAC?f=10#175800247
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Nothing but a black screen.

I don't know if this is related or not, so I'll mention it just in case. Often times I'll go into my page via my custom name (capturedimaginings.com) and go to share an image. I hit the copy button. When I paste it into a forum it has reverted to my original smugmug name (hoyboy.smugmug.com). The image still works, of course but it's not the URL I want to post.

Anyway, like I said, not sure if it's related or not, but thought I should mention it.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    HoyBoy wrote:

I don't know if this is related or not, so I'll mention it just in case. Often times I'll go into my page via my custom name (capturedimaginings.com) and go to share an image. I hit the copy button. When I paste it into a forum it has reverted to my original smugmug name (hoyboy.smugmug.com). The image still works, of course but it's not the URL I want to post.

Anyway, like I said, not sure if it's related or not, but thought I should mention it.

Thanks for your help.
    We're stumped, HoyBoy. I'm going to ask Barb work with you.
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 1, 2008
    HoyBoy wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Hi :)

I copied a few links using your share button, and they all copy correctly. I have no idea what's up with that. ne_nau.gif

We have a second release with some bug fixes going live soon (this week hopefully) that may resolve your slideshow problems.

We are so sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience while we sort out these corner cases. It's working for almost everyone, but a few. We're not giving up!
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    Lori_BLori_B Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Lori_B wrote:
    I'm so confused.

I just went back to my own gallery - as in, clicked on my home page and navigated to the gallery to play the slideshow - in FF and it IS working. I don't get it... sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. I'm sure you guys just LOVE problems that don't consistently reproduce themselves. :bash

So I went back and re-read all my posts, trying to make sense of what my problems have been so far, and here's what I came up with:

1. Slideshow used to not be clickable in IE, but a couple days later this was fixed, I imagine by something on your end. Been working ever since. bowdown.gif
    2. It seems only once did I have trouble opening the slideshow in FF, but it now also seems to be working, with or without customization.
    3. Things seem to work ok on my home laptop -- and by ok, I mean, it loads and works but sometimes veeerrrry slowly. Problems seem to be when I send the link to others or view on my work computer. Sent the link to 3 different people for either the FFSSSSSFFSS or to the gallery but asked them to click the slideshow button, and have mostly been unsuccessful. Problems include:
    - black screen of death
    - loading gets frozen
    - flash not recent enough version
    - absolutely nothing happens

So do these clues point to a customization problem? Some kind of cross-platform cross-version problem? I'm stumped...headscratch.gif

Anyone got any thoughts? ne_nau.gif
    thanks~
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 1, 2008
    Lori_B wrote:
    Anyone got any thoughts? ne_nau.gif
    thanks~

Hi Lori,

Our engineers are busy tweaking a few things in the slideshow that may very well resolve your problems with it. It's working for almost everyone; there are a few corner cases where it is not. That release will go live soon (this week, hopefully) (barring any catastrophes!).

We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We are not giving up! We hope the second release of fixes will take care of your problems. Thank you in advance for your patience.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Sitting in the corner...
    Thanks Barb, that gives me warm hopes! I'm glad to hear I'm not alone here in the corner! I look forward to this week's release. Please let us know if there's something we need to do with our setups to make the changes work!

- Gary.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    Okie dokie, thanks for the update. :-)
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Hi :)

I copied a few links using your share button, and they all copy correctly. I have no idea what's up with that. ne_nau.gif

We have a second release with some bug fixes going live soon (this week hopefully) that may resolve your slideshow problems.

We are so sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience while we sort out these corner cases. It's working for almost everyone, but a few. We're not giving up!

Thanks Barb. I'm a patient guy.

I do know of one other person who is having similar issues with the slideshow (not sure if she's active on dgrin or not).

As for the goofy copying, it's not consistent. But happens quite a bit. Thanks for your efforts.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Thanks Barb, that gives me warm hopes! I'm glad to hear I'm not alone here in the corner! I look forward to this week's release. Please let us know if there's something we need to do with our setups to make the changes work!

- Gary.
    Gary, your results for steps 1-5? http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=88954 ear.gif

And also, can you do this for me? Make one gallery on your site, 'hide owner' and appearance = SmugMug. Try the Full Screen slideshow there.
  • Options
    FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    no fun yet
    1 win 9,0,16,0
    2 winxp/aol
    3 www.allensklar.smugmug.com
    4 no
    5 "download error" occurs
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    Fishead wrote:
    1 win 9,0,16,0
    2 winxp/aol
    3 www.allensklar.smugmug.com
    4 no
    5 "download error" occurs
    Hi, ok couple things.

1) don't use AOL's browser, use real Internet Explorer on your computer.
    2) go here http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash and update your flash to the latest version and you should be all set :)
  • Options
    FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    now having fun!
    Thanks andy.....so this means anyone who uses aol cannot view slideshow?
    Sure blocks a lot of people. Slideshow is much nicer though!
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    Fishead wrote:
    Thanks andy.....so this means anyone who uses aol cannot view slideshow?
    Sure blocks a lot of people. Slideshow is much nicer though!
    No, it means that people on AOL using AOLs terrible browser *might* have issues.

We support fully, IE6, IE7, Firefox and Safari.

AOL does things to their browser that shouldn't be spoken about in gentle company.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    My coworker's stats
    Ok remember I was saying that my coworker could not see the slideshow? Don't know if this helps isolate the issue or not, but here are her stats:

WinXP

FF 2.0.0.13
    Problem: "Waiting for api.smugmug.com"/black screen

IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300
    Problem: Error message - this site requires adobe flash 9. To upgrade, click here. (click) Error: adobe flash 9 has previously been installed with elevated privileges. You do not have administrative privileges to upgrade.

Same problems exist whether direct link to slideshow, or going to gallery first and then clicking slideshow. Also same problems when viewing the gallery without customization.

Hope that helps~
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    Lori_B wrote:
    Ok remember I was saying that my coworker could not see the slideshow? Don't know if this helps isolate the issue or not, but here are her stats:

WinXP

FF 2.0.0.13
    Problem: "Waiting for api.smugmug.com"/black screen

IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300
    Problem: Error message - this site requires adobe flash 9. To upgrade, click here. (click) Error: adobe flash 9 has previously been installed with elevated privileges. You do not have administrative privileges to upgrade.

Same problems exist whether direct link to slideshow, or going to gallery first and then clicking slideshow. Also same problems when viewing the gallery without customization.

Hope that helps~
    There are going to be computers where they need to update flash - this is one of them. But her work is blocking it. I don't have a good answer for you on this one, I'm very sorry :(
  • Options
    wyndhamwyndham Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by wyndham
    When I run this otherwise great feature I get a progress meter in the middle of the picture almost all the time both on my own galleries and the test ones in your first post of the thread. I can't imagine this is meant to be!

I've got a reasonable (but sometimes a bit up and down) internet connection.

The gallery that I noticed this on: http://wyndhamhollis.smugmug.com/gal...RAMp#272245871

Firefox 2.0.0.13
    Flash 9.0.115.0
    XP Pro 2002 SP2
    I see both your test links OK except for the meter which is not present quite as much as the one on my gallery.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    The progress bar will show at the beginning, while we pre-load some images. Then it'll go away, and the show will run without it.

If you click a thumb, we'll start pre-loading again from that spot, and you'll see the loading indicator.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________
    Andy

I see what you mean because when my connection speeds up the bar isn't around for so long but for the benefit of us folks in the sticks maybe the progress bar could be moved to the bottom or side so at least you can view the current picture while the others load. Thanks for your response, by the way.
  • Options
    seekerseeker Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Still busted for me
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Folks! On March 17th we released a new version of our Full Screen Slideshow and also the gallery-style slideshow.

If you are having any difficulties with the slideshow, we want to help, and we'll do it here. Some things we need to know when you reply:

1. We need to know your installed flash version, for IE (if you use it) and for other browsers. Go to this page at Adobe and tell us the results.

2. We need to know what browser you are using, and the version, and on what Operating System. E.g., IE6 on WinXP; IE7 on Windows Vista Home Premium; Firefox 2.0.0.13 on Mac OS X 10.5.

3. We need a direct gallery link to where you are having the problem.

4. Tell us if you can use the Full Screen Slideshow here in this gallery.

5. Tell us if you can see the Full Screen Slideshow using this share link.

Some of you may have all the right stuff but have customizing that is getting in the way of your Full Screen Slideshow:
    • modifying the breadcrumb with javascript
    • having the olde javascript slideshow installed still

Looking for Shizam's Homepage Slideshow? Right Here.

1. Adobe says "MAC, 9,0,115,0"

2. Safari 3.1, Mac OSX 10.5.2

3. http://www.knappimaging.com/gallery/4120390_CjtoK

4. No - the button won't even "click" - the cursor never changes when I float over the button

5. No, it never loads the page

As to your last note, what do you mean by the "olde javascript slideshow"? Is that what is currently running on my main page - the "olde" slideshow?

- Brian
  • Options
    PackMulePackMule Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Fixing the blank "black" screen
    Fixing the Black Screen of Death

I scanned the thread and didn't see this solution listed, but forgive me if I missed it and it's 205.

When clicking on the full screen slideshows, I was just getting a blank (black) screen. It would never progress beyond this, no matter how long I left it. Curiously, I noticed the same thing happened when attempting to view YouTube in full screen. Up-to-date releases of Firefox and Flash running on Vista. It actually started happening after the last Flash update.

After some google-fu, it appeared that others with this black screen issue had solved it by turning Hardware Acceleration off. The problem is that this menu is accessed with a right-click, which wasn't available (gray'd out) from the SmugMug slideshow (and youtube full screen).

To access the Adobe Flash Player menu successfully, go to youtube and click on any video. From the small screen, right-click --> Settings --> Display Menu --> UNCHECK HARDWARE ACCELERATION, and then click Close.

Close out your tabs/windows, re-open, and voile. The new slideshow works a treat! clap.gif

Hope this helps others who've been stumped by the black screen of death. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    PackMule wrote:

I scanned the thread and didn't see this solution listed, but forgive me if I missed it and it's 205.

When clicking on the full screen slideshows, I was just getting a blank (black) screen. It would never progress beyond this, no matter how long I left it. Curiously, I noticed the same thing happened when attempting to view YouTube in full screen. Up-to-date releases of Firefox and Flash running on Vista. It actually started happening after the last Flash update.

After some google-fu, it appeared that others with this black screen issue had solved it by turning Hardware Acceleration off. The problem is that this menu is accessed with a right-click, which wasn't available (gray'd out) from the SmugMug slideshow (and youtube full screen).

To access the Adobe Flash Player menu successfully, go to youtube and click on any video. From the small screen, right-click --> Settings --> Display Menu --> UNCHECK HARDWARE ACCELERATION, and then click Close.

Close out your tabs/windows, re-open, and voile. The new slideshow works a treat! clap.gif

Hope this helps others who've been stumped by the black screen of death. thumb.gif

Wow!!! You're a genius. Solved my problem immediately!!!wings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gif
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    HoyBoy wrote:
    Wow!!! You're a genius. Solved my problem immediately!!!wings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gif
    Yay!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    HoyBoy wrote:
    Coolness.. clap.gif \

One down...one more to go:cry.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    It Works!!!!
    PackMule...you are the best!!!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Flash at last! Flash at last! Oh, thank God, there's Flash at last!!!

- Gary.
    PackMule wrote:

• Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    How can we help our viewers?
    Hmmm...So Hardware Acceleration turned off fixed the black screen problem. Unfortunately, this will vary from machine to machine. Is there a way to programatically determine if it's turned on and warn the user? Or is there something that Smug can put on the blank screen (like the press ESC message - or maybe along with it) that suggests if the slideshow does not start, check to see if hardware acceleration is turned off????

If we can proactively head this off, we can avoid an email (at best) or someone just leaving our site because it doesn't work for them.

- Gary.