Options

Boston

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
Looks like I will be in Boston for business end of next week. I do not yet have an itinerary, and will be travelling with several coworkers so may not have much flexibility. However, in case I do, any shooting ideas? Any dgrinners there?

ann

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited February 19, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Looks like I will be in Boston for business end of next week. I do not yet have an itinerary, and will be travelling with several coworkers so may not have much flexibility. However, in case I do, any shooting ideas? Any dgrinners there?

ann
    Ann -
    I'm just north of Boston. Are you going to be right in Boston, or on the outskirts?

I haven't done any winter wanderings in Boston with my camera, but there are certainly plenty of places to shoot. If you like parks as opposed to city buildings, the Boston Common and the Public Garden are both beautiful (http://www.friendsofthepublicgarden.org/our_parks/index.htm). You can walk on both the Boston and the Cambridge side of the Charles River, good opportunities there. If you're more interested in buildings and historical sites, there are plenty of those in the area.

--- Denise
  • Options
    blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    I live in Nashua, NH but did a night shoot there a couple of weeks ago with some folks from photography-on-the.net (which seems to have a larger Boston contingent than DGrin ne_nau.gif). Some pics are on Flickr, and they're mapped (somewhat accurately). Some places I wouldn't go alone, but then I'm a bit of a scaredy-cat. :D
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Boston is a great city, I'm sure you will enjoy your trip. Personally, I think walking is the best way to see it and there's a great resource in town called Boston By Foot. This is a non-profit organization. Their normal tours are offered from May to October, but you can arange a private tour for your group year round, and you can choose the focus like architecture, history, etc. If you are going to have some free time, I can definitely recommend them. My brother used to be a guide and authored several of the tours at one point.
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    It is only a 4 hour train ride to NYC. My wife and I have an extra bedroom. The door is always open. New York baby, the center of the universe! (don't say that out loud in Boston. Those guys are mad jealous of our flava).
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Justiceiro wrote:
    It is only a 4 hour train ride to NYC. My wife and I have an extra bedroom. The door is always open. New York baby, the center of the universe! (don't say that out loud in Boston. Those guys are mad jealous of our flava).
    Boston is Rife with opportunity! The Water Front, Historical buildings, Old Cemeteries right in the city, The Boston Gardens, Fenway (not just the Ballpark!). Easy to get around by Subway and foot. If you have time Harvard Square across the Charles River in Cambridge is always good, too. Buskers at Faneul Hall/Haymarket and Harvard Square, Yada, Yada....
    :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Okay, my itinerary is:
    arrive Wednesday afternoon.
    Possibly be treated to a basketball game!!!!!
    Meetings all day Thursday with dinner included.
    Tour of MIT Friday a.m.
    free from noon til ? checkin for a 4 p.m. flight!
    Hotel is:
    Courtyard Boston Woburn

Is that close to anything, or is it suburbia?
    Not going to be lots of shooting time, I guess. Unless I have Wednesday night.

Justi - tempting!!!Very tempting!
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Okay, my itinerary is:
    arrive Wednesday afternoon.
    Possibly be treated to a basketball game!!!!!
    Meetings all day Thursday with dinner included.
    Tour of MIT Friday a.m.
    free from noon til ? checkin for a 4 p.m. flight!
    Hotel is:
    Courtyard Boston Woburn

Is that close to anything, or is it suburbia?
    Not going to be lots of shooting time, I guess. Unless I have Wednesday night.

Justi - tempting!!!Very tempting!
    Well, MIT is closer to Havard Square and the Museums at Harvard and the like Lovely old glass blown flowers wurth seeing, with Minerals and Natural History stuff at the Peabody Museum at Harvard.

Woburn is at the end of the line for a T - Subway. Do maps.google.com for a feel of the lay of the land.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Woburn is north of Boston, a bit of a ways out. Will you have a rental car? That would make it easier.

If you are going to a basketball game, I take it that would be Celtics vs. Cleveland Wednesday night - that would be a fantastic game to see! thumb.gif

The TD Banknorth Garden (hate that name) is at the tip of the North End of Boston, which is a famous Italian section with equally famous restaurants. Definitely take the opportunity to walk around the North End and grab a bite before the game.

Other than that it doesn't seem like you'll have a ton of time to take photos...Friday afternoon you could walk around downtown, Fanuel Hall, etc before heading off to Logan for your flight. Might be chilly but probably warmer than you are used to!
    Have a fun trip! deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Woburn is north of Boston, a bit of a ways out. Will you have a rental car? That would make it easier.

There are 6 of us from here going, so there will be a rental but not likely that I will have keys!
    If you are going to a basketball game, I take it that would be Celtics vs. Cleveland Wednesday night - that would be a fantastic game to see! thumb.gif

Yep - wasn't sure if there would be a ticket for me - just found out there is! WooHoo! Think I could take my camera in? Or just the P&S?
    Might be chilly but probably warmer than you are used to!
    Have a fun trip! deal.gif

Chilly - I've just survived -40C. However, it will be humid and we aren't used to that, for sure. It is going to be very interesting - cool client, a new city, Celtics bball and a tour of MIT! I am pretty excited.

ann
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Yep - wasn't sure if there would be a ticket for me - just found out there is! WooHoo! Think I could take my camera in? Or just the P&S?
    :nah From the website

Miscellaneous
    • Children under two do not need a ticket.
    • Doors open 60 minutes before the game.
    • First Aid is located on Level 4, behind section 16.
    • Lost and Found is located at the Customer Service Desk on Level 4, behind section 4.
    • No cameras or recording devices are allowed.
    • No food or beverages are allowed into the facility.
    • No smoking in the arena.
    • There is no re-entry in the TD Banknorth Garden.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    :nah From the website

I figured as much. Oh well. Guess I'll leave the big glass home. Just carry the 20d and the 24 - 105 prolly.

Thanks

ann
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 22, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Tour of MIT Friday a.m.
    Not a terrible campus to be stuck on with a camera...

54688786_x7EkK-S.jpg

What are you getting up to there? If you're in the engineering quad, say hi for me, tell it that I miss visiting so often. :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    I haven't been up there since moving to florida for good in 1991 but I took this pic at a club called Venus De Milo on Landsdown street which is right behind the green monster of Fenway Paaaaark.

VenusDiMilo.jpg

There are too many awesome places to go to shoot I'm sure you'll find great pics anywhere you go. But if some how you find the time make your way up to Ipswich (I grew up there), Gloucester, Salem and Newberryport. Cheers!
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    This was taken in Gloucester at the magic time of sunset with my Mamiya TLR. Got it on a cover of the local Chamber of Commerce guide book for that year too!!

Glouchester.jpg

My new canon MP600 scanner is awesome on my old prints!! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Not a terrible campus to be stuck on with a camera...

54688786_x7EkK-S.jpg

What are you getting up to there? If you're in the engineering quad, say hi for me, tell it that I miss visiting so often. :D

Hey doc - we are touring the MIT MEMS facilities - our customer's technology began there. So, I am pretty sure this will be in Engineering. I'm pretty excited because this is a great customer, and they've lined up extra great activities for us!

ann
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    This was taken in Gloucester at the magic time of sunset with my Mamiya TLR. Got it on a cover of the local Chamber of Commerce guide book for that year too!!

My new canon MP600 scanner is awesome on my old prints!! clap.gif

Nice!!! Can't say for sure where I'll get - I will be being guided by many others - several of the engineers I work with are photogs, but none of them are on this trip!

ann
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hey doc - we are touring the MIT MEMS facilities - our customer's technology began there. So, I am pretty sure this will be in Engineering. I'm pretty excited because this is a great customer, and they've lined up extra great activities for us!

ann
    MEMS, no kidding?! You'll no doubt run into at least one of my friends or colleagues! (I'm into microfluidics and bio-mems)
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    MEMS, no kidding?! You'll no doubt run into at least one of my friends or colleagues! (I'm into microfluidics and bio-mems)

Doc - I work for Micralyne
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Doc - I work for Micralyne
    That's a pretty nice line of standard microflu products nod.gif

Enjoy your trip, and report back on your visit to MIT.
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 1, 2008
    Report on MIT tour.

We visited Boston (Gardens for the Celtics game), drove to Woburn in the snow afterward and saw several vehicle accidents on the way, had business meetings in Bedford, dinner in Burlington, and then spent half a day in Cambridge at MIT, probably covering fewer kilometers than necessary to drive from one end of Edmonton to the other.

I love historic, beautiful cities and Boston clearly qualifies. I was awed by MIT. I would love the opportunity to visit again and see more.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    I am going to be in the greater Boston area again in two weeks - April 10 & 11 on business but this time the dh is encouraging me to stay the weekend if I can meet some east coast grinners for a shoot. Anybody interested? Gotta make flight reservations soon (tomorrow), so need to hear if we can make this work.
    I'd be game for hopping a train to the NYNY too, if thats better for others