Options

HEADS UP: New Release, March 17, 2008. Slideshow Issues?

Comments

• Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I have this exact same problem. Even Barb's site doesn't work. I though no site would work for me but I tried this site and it works! Maybe there is a clue here?

http://kootenay.smugmug.com/gallery/4505679_6DcUX#265507332 <= this works!

-

I got around to trying the two XP computers I own and the fullscreen slideshow works fine on those.

By the way I love the fullscreen as it gets rid of the distracting menues etc. and my 1920x1080 pictures fit on a 1920x 1200 monitor without being scaled. But I hope you offer the option of hiding the thumbnails. They are as distracting as the adjustible background thingy is on Zenfolio's slideshow.

-
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 18, 2008
    Let me know when you want me to try something else.

--- Denise
    Ugh, but thanks for your patience. First, let's make sure this doesn't have to do with your site. Can you try this gallery?

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504559_f3ta9#131481399

Here are some questions about your situation internally:

Is she running any firewall and/or anti-virus software? And have we checked her IE security settings? If she's adjusted those up even one notch, that could do it. And AFAIK, there's no way we can detect that. Though I'd expect other things to break, too.

(and a response) I tested that earlier, but I couldn't get the behavior she reported with any security/privacy settings.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 18, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Oh, you think it's a screen size issue? Aw shucks, I'm only running at a measly 1280x1024. Ok, for grins let me drop down to 800x600. (Ow ow -- my eyes!)
    I should have placed my parentheses after speed issues, which you are seeing, and which really sucks, but apparently not due to image sizes.

Fwiw, we cache several images ahead of where you are if we have time (depending on how fast you're flipping through them). So they should load instantaneously. But if you get way ahead of the current slide, no such luck.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited March 18, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Ugh, but thanks for your patience. First, let's make sure this doesn't have to do with your site. Can you try this gallery?

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504559_f3ta9#131481399

Here are some questions about your situation internally:

Is she running any firewall and/or anti-virus software? And have we checked her IE security settings? If she's adjusted those up even one notch, that could do it. And AFAIK, there's no way we can detect that. Though I'd expect other things to break, too.

(and a response) I tested that earlier, but I couldn't get the behavior she reported with any security/privacy settings.
    I have the same problem with your gallery. I suppose that's good news of a sort because it says there isn't anything in my customization that is causing the problem, right?

I'm running Norton Internet Security, firewall + antivirus. I went wandering through there earlier to see if I could see any settings that could be causing this but nothing jumped out at me.

IE internet security is set to medium-high.
    Just for grins I added www.smugmug.com to trusted sites in the IE options security tab. That didn't make any difference (and yes, I did try again in a freshly opened browser window).

--- Denise
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Here's two galleries with both slideshow style and fullscreen not
    working in case other threads aren't being watched.:D
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=781462&postcount=2191

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by shamu
    Allen:

I went back on my galleries and saw that I had external links as NO so I changed that to Yes could that be it.... here you could try the same link again and see if maybe now you can see it.

http://www.groverstudios.com/gallery...26084783_3iMG9
    http://www.groverstudios.com/gallery...72030008_Qzici

I still dont' know why the slideshow on my main page can't be viewed by some people... do you happen to know? By the way I really really appreciate all of your help... You guys are awesome and so so patient.... ;0)

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Nope, neither slideshow style or fullscreen run in either gallery.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I also tried your site and its a no go for me also - same happens as happens with my own galleries -

I also just downloaded firefox and tried using the slideshow on firefox and that does not even work - only Opera browser works for me.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I have the same problem with your gallery.

Denise, how about this:

http://cmac.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=2504559&AlbumKey=f3ta9
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I'm not Denise, but I think I'm having similar issues. When I click that link from Andy, all I see is black.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    i see a full frame slideshow, when I click the link from Andy, using safari if that helps
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Wow Andy, this is weird.

I clicked on your link, and it worked! (As in I saw a running full-screen slideshow.) Then I clicked "return to gallery", and requested the slideshow from the gallery again. Black screen, no slideshow. So it worked when the album id and key were specified separately, but it still doesn't work when I click the slideshow button.

And - I am getting browser window pollution here.
    I click your link, and the slideshow opens up in a new tab in my browser. That's good. From the slideshow, I click return to gallery. The slideshow continues running, and the gallery opens in a new browser window. Not a new tab but a totally new window. And I really expected the "return to gallery" to happen in the same brower tab where the slideshow was running.

And another odd thing. The browser window and the browser tab bear a photo id when I've done a "return to gallery". What happened to the window title? (Screen shot attached.)

I suppose this is progress of a sort though...

--- Denise
  • Options
    LesLes Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Andy,

I'm not Denise either but it appears I'm having similar problems as she. The show you referenced plays fine and my gallery slideshows play fine in FF but not in IE.
  • Options
    snidowsnidow Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 18, 2008
    same problems here
    I have been experiencing similar problems the last two days, different PCs, different OS, different browsers. My home page the slideshow works sometimes but mostly it does not, the new photos page will not work on slide show and my about me page will not edit and save. Just to name a few things that seems to be flaking out right now. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Wow Andy, this is weird.

I clicked on your link, and it worked! (As in I saw a running full-screen slideshow.) Then I clicked "return to gallery", and requested the slideshow from the gallery again. Black screen, no slideshow. So it worked when the album id and key were specified separately, but it still doesn't work when I click the slideshow button.

And - I am getting browser window pollution here.
    I click your link, and the slideshow opens up in a new tab in my browser. That's good. From the slideshow, I click return to gallery. The slideshow continues running, and the gallery opens in a new browser window. Not a new tab but a totally new window. And I really expected the "return to gallery" to happen in the same brower tab where the slideshow was running.

And another odd thing. The browser window and the browser tab bear a photo id when I've done a "return to gallery". What happened to the window title? (Screen shot attached.)

I suppose this is progress of a sort though...

--- Denise

Hi Denise,

When you first click the link it is in a window. That's why it works for me. If you exit and go back to it, then it's fullscreen and doesn't work.
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Hi Denise,
    When you first click the link it is in a window. That's why it works for me. If you exit and go back to it, then it's fullscreen and doesn't work.
    Ah, you're absolutely right. It works in a window and not full screen. I guess I was so excited to see a slideshow that I totally missed the change in environment.

Actually, I prefer it in a window over full screen.
    I hope that test at least gives the smugsorcerers some hints...

--- Denise
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Party People.
    For those experiencing black/green screen of death when you go fullscreen please try this solution:

-Right click (control click) the mouse while in fullscreen or while moused over the flash application, select 'settings'.
    -Cute Adobe settings box is displayed.
    -Under 'Display' uncheck 'enable hardware acceleration'
    -Close the box
    -Refresh your page or come out of FS and go back in (may not have to do this), voila.

Please let us know if this solves your problem. Here is what the small box will look like.

display_en.gif

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Hi,

Can we get you to hit the two links below and then let us know the information, please?

This is javascript reporting:
    http://greenjimmy.com/flash/flashversion.html

Then there is flash actually reporting:
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507

Also, let us know specifically the browser version and operating system you are using. In addition, are you running any type of security software, i.e., Norton, or any adblockers?

Thank you!

First one: You have Flash player 9.0.115 installed.

Second one: WIN 9,0,115,0

Firefox 2.0.0.12

Security software: McAfee

• Options
    shamushamu Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    It seems I having similar problems....
    I wanted some help originally with adding a frame to specific slideshows but when Allen looked at my website and try to look at my galleries he wasn't able to see anything.

here is the two galleries :

I called some friends to have them look at my site. Some can see the home page slideshow most can't. An when going into my galleries they can't see anything...... just thought I would see if anyone was interested in clicking to see what they saw.... well hopefully there will be a resolution soon eek.gif.... so we can all wings.gif
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Shizam wrote:
    Please let us know if this solves your problem.
    Sam
    Sam -
    Sorry, but apparently I am still a problem child.

I can right click on the black screen of death, I see a little Adobe window, and I click on settings. The settings box is not displayed. Right click again, see the right click menu, click on settings. Nothing.

I opened a clean browser window and re-opened my home page. I right clicked on my homepage slideshow, got the Adobe settings box, and unchecked 'enable hardware accelerator'. I made the assumption that unsetting that for one use of flash within smugmug would unset it for all uses of flash. Nope. I still get the black screen of death.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Sam -
    Sorry, but apparently I am still a problem child.

I can right click on the black screen of death, I see a little Adobe window, and I click on settings. The settings box is not displayed. Right click again, see the right click menu, click on settings. Nothing.

I opened a clean browser window and re-opened my home page. I right clicked on my homepage slideshow, got the Adobe settings box, and unchecked 'enable hardware accelerator'. I made the assumption that unsetting that for one use of flash within smugmug would unset it for all uses of flash. Nope. I still get the black screen of death.

--- Denise

Frick.
    Yes, that is a good assumption, it will unset it everywhere. Hrm.

Sam
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Could someone take a look at my homepage (flashshow)? My images in the flash slideshow are different sizes now. I have made no changes. Some fit the frame and others don't.

www.dramatapix.com

Thanks.
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Can't get settings to come up
    Shizam wrote:
    Party People.
    For those experiencing black/green screen of death when you go fullscreen please try this solution:

-Right click (control click) the mouse while in fullscreen or while moused over the flash application, select 'settings'.
    -Cute Adobe settings box is displayed.
    -

display_en.gif

Sam

When I select settings, my mouse disappears and no settings box appears.
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    shamu wrote:
    It seems I having similar problems....
    I wanted some help originally with adding a frame to specific slideshows but when Allen looked at my website and try to look at my galleries he wasn't able to see anything.

here is the two galleries :

I called some friends to have them look at my site. Some can see the home page slideshow most can't. An when going into my galleries they can't see anything...... just thought I would see if anyone was interested in clicking to see what they saw.... well hopefully there will be a resolution soon eek.gif.... so we can all wings.gif

Have them scroll down on the gallery pages, maybe you're having the same problem I was having.
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    pixelpainterpixelpainter Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 18, 2008
    new bug: fullScreenSlideShow undefined
    I'm not entirely sure this has been mentioned before (I searched the forums but could not find anything related). In my jounal pages, I get a "'fullScreenSlideShow' is undefined error", page. This error may be related to the latest release, since I had not seen this before. I'm using IE7.
    Apologies if this is a user error after all; I'm a smugmug newbie, blundering my way through all this new stuff.

Thanks for all the help,
    Peter
    pixelpainter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Les wrote:
    When I select settings, my mouse disappears and no settings box appears.

Are you in FSSS? Leave FSSS, go anywhere else there is a flash application and right click including the slideshow style.

Sam
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    sorry, what is fsss?
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 18, 2008
    sorry, what is fsss?

FSSS == fullscreen slideshow thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Thanks..
    I have located the offending gallery. Now the next step is to fix the problem. When I reset the style to 'smugmug' from 'viewer controlled' the problem still persists. In the offending gallery, I see a 'fullscreen' button in the 'slideshow' style, but clicking it does not do anything.

Over time, I'll get the hang of this I guess :-)
  • Options
    NougatNougat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Hi,

Can we get you to hit the two links below and then let us know the information, please?

This is javascript reporting:
    http://greenjimmy.com/flash/flashversion.html

Then there is flash actually reporting:
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507

Also, let us know specifically the browser version and operating system you are using. In addition, are you running any type of security software, i.e., Norton, or any adblockers?

Thank you!

First link:
    You have Flash player 9.0.115 installed.
    This page displays your current Flash player version using Javascript.

Second link:
    Your Player Version: 9,0,115,0
    Debug Player: No

I am running Internet Explorer Version 7.0.6000.16609
    My operating system is Vista for Business
    I also run Nod32 Antivirus software

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Appears to be Working
    Shizam wrote:
    Are you in FSSS? Leave FSSS, go anywhere else there is a flash application and right click including the slideshow style.

Sam

Did what you said and it started working in Traditional and Journal. All of a sudden, it would not work anymore. At that point, I noticed there was an "Error on page" message. Started new browser and the gallery slideshows worked again. After trying several styles, I got the error on page message again and the gallery slideshows stopped working. It never did work in the Smugmug style.
  • Options
    mapleleavermapleleaver Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Hi all

I think the new slideshow is so awesome. Just noticed it today.

I would like to have it as the default code for some of my galleries but not all.

I put the code from the customization page in my JavaScript header but didn't remove the old code. The new slide show isn't working as default.
    Was I supposed to take out the old code first? I thought the old code was for just the slideshow on my homepage and the new one is for galleries, but I really don't know. ne_nau.gif Is the new slideshow code for all galleries and the slideshow on the homepage or just one or the other?ne_nau.gif

Do I sound confused?? I have read most of this thread in the forum. Please help. Is it possible to have some galleries with the new slideshow set as default but not others. Is that too complicated for this Not so technical brain of mine??

Please help
    Christina
This discussion has been closed.