Options

The Watermark Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Is it normal behaviour that once you watermark your images you need to redo all your bulk zoom thumbnails?

I had previously spent many an hour changing the thumbnails with the bulk zoom tool and now when applying a watermark all this hard work is undone and I need to do it all again (I dont have watermarking for thumbnails turned on so not sure why smugmug is generating a new thumbnail).

Thanks,
    Craig.
    Yes, watermarking will cause all the sizes to be regenerated. Sorry about that!
  • Options
    Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, watermarking will cause all the sizes to be regenerated. Sorry about that!

Thanks for the quick reply - albeit not the reply I was after - I was hoping I was doing something wrong.

Oh well, back to watermarking and recreating thumbnails.
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Watermark Size?
    I want to create a very simple watermark that can be easily applied to photos with either a horizontal or vertical orientation, but I can't seem to get the size right. If it looks OK on a horizontal photo it will be too small on a vertical, and so forth. Is there a good size that I can use to put this watermark together? I really just want the text look like this:

271079970_Dn782-M-6.jpg

Justified to the bottom right side of each photo (maybe a little bigger than the one above). But when I apply that watermark to vertical shots, its really tiny... However if I make the PNG file square, its really huge on a horizontal shot. yelrotflmao.gif

Thanks for any help!

Tim
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    timnosenzo wrote:
    I want to create a very simple watermark that can be easily applied to photos with either a horizontal or vertical orientation, but I can't seem to get the size right. If it looks OK on a horizontal photo it will be too small on a vertical, and so forth. Is there a good size that I can use to put this watermark together? I really just want the text look like this:

271079970_Dn782-M-6.jpg

Justified to the bottom right side of each photo (maybe a little bigger than the one above). But when I apply that watermark to vertical shots, its really tiny... However if I make the PNG file square, its really huge on a horizontal shot. yelrotflmao.gif

Thanks for any help!

Tim
    Link us to your watermark so we can see it....
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Link us to your watermark so we can see it....

This is the one I used in that photo.

http://www.timnosenzo.com/photos/271444093_buBaV-O.png

I tried to make it square to show up larger in vertical shot, but then it showed up huge in the horizontal ones, so I gave up. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
  • Options
    DSADSA Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    timnosenzo wrote:
    I tried to make it square to show up larger in vertical shot, but then it showed up huge in the horizontal ones, so I gave up. ne_nau.gif
    I had the same trouble. After a bit of playing around I settled for 800x1067 px.
    That doesn't quite make horizontal and vertical the same, but it's close.

Daniel
  • Options
    seanmpuckettseanmpuckett Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Having trouble with this watermark size ratio issue also.

I created a square watermark image so it would size evenly. I find that the watermark is scaled to the height of the client image. This makes the watermark small and correct on landscape images, but large and ugly on portrait images.

Seems to me the right way to do this is to scale the watermark by the shortest side of the client image so it is rendered based on image ratio, not height. That way, images that are 9:16 or even taller don't have a huge watermark.

This is really a problem now. I don't know what's changed in the watermarking code recently, but I'm very unhappy with how it is working at this moment. The portrait watermark size is ghastly.

276267823_KGuQa-L-2.jpg

105986575_htLJs-L-2.jpg

... you guys are hilarious, you know that, right? Of course if I link to images on the site, and I regenerate the watermarks again, and the problem's fixed (or whatever), then my example images look fine and everyone is looking at me like I'm daft. Be that as it may, I no longer have a problem. I think. For now.

Cookies for everyone.
  • Options
    BGtomBGtom Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    different watermark / different galleries?
    Is there a way to use a different watermark for different galleries? I want to create a private gallery for select people to access that has just a simple copyright rather than a "prevent unauthorized copying" obscur-o-matic. And I would also like to second the motion for a "resizer".

Thanks
    Canon 7D! | Baux Pinhole MkIV | 30mm TP Tube Extender | SteadiHand IS system | BiPed 2000 Camera Support | Steely Gaze
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited April 11, 2008
    BGtom wrote:
    Is there a way to use a different watermark for different galleries? I want to create a private gallery for select people to access that has just a simple copyright rather than a "prevent unauthorized copying" obscur-o-matic.
    Yes, you can use a different watermark for different galleries. In fact, you could apply a different watermark to each photo if you wanted to.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Calm Light PhotosCalm Light Photos Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    I're read a lot of the posts on this thread and it is apparent that the majority of you are very well schooled in Photo Shop and other means of watermarking. I, on the other hand, am not. I want to watermark my photos but since I don't have PS and have never used it before (although I've seen it and it looks quite daunting) does anyone have suggestions as to where I would start to learn how to do this? I want the process to be simple, please!

I know I could just use SmugMugs watermarking, but I really don't like it. I think it's way to intrusive and takes the viewers focus away from the picture. Maybe if it were smaller and more transparent it would work better.

Any help would be much appreciated bowdown.gif

Thank you, Darlene
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited April 12, 2008
    I're read a lot of the posts on this thread and it is apparent that the majority of you are very well schooled in Photo Shop and other means of watermarking. I, on the other hand, am not. I want to watermark my photos but since I don't have PS and have never used it before (although I've seen it and it looks quite daunting) does anyone have suggestions as to where I would start to learn how to do this?
    Darlene -
    I don't have Photoshop either... I downloaded a copy of gimp (yes, it's free) and created my watermark there. Gimp is at http://www.gimp.org/, and there is a tutorial for creating a watermark at http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1690196. That should give you the general idea, and you should be able to translate the instructions to the equivalent functions in gimp.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2008
    I're read a lot of the posts on this thread and it is apparent that the majority of you are very well schooled in Photo Shop and other means of watermarking. I, on the other hand, am not. I want to watermark my photos but since I don't have PS and have never used it before (although I've seen it and it looks quite daunting) does anyone have suggestions as to where I would start to learn how to do this? I want the process to be simple, please!

I know I could just use SmugMugs watermarking, but I really don't like it. I think it's way to intrusive and takes the viewers focus away from the picture. Maybe if it were smaller and more transparent it would work better.

Any help would be much appreciated bowdown.gif

Thank you, Darlene

some smaller ones,here http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1690793#210148733_rTsff

It takes about a minute or two to make a simple watermark, you could just order one up here and I bet someone would make it for ya thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2008
    Thank you for the info on Gimp, Denise. My son actually downloaded it yesterday and we were trying to figure it out, but I must say it seems to be way over my head. I really am clueless, for the most part, about technology. I'd probably need someone to walk me through the process, step by step, and then I'm sure I'd get it. When I have more time, I'll try to figure it out. Maybe there's a Gimp or Photo Shop for Dummies!

So Andy, do you really think that someone could/would make me a simple watermark since it only takes a minute or two (for experienced people like yourself, of course!?) If so, anybody interested?? All I want is one that says Calm Light Photos, and I'd like to be able to put it at the bottom of the pictures. I don't want it to be really big either, because I think that is too distracting.

Thank you in advance to whoever would like to create one for me! :D
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2008
    wish granted...
    Just right click on the image and choose "save picture as..." assuming you have a PC, of course...otherwise do whatever Mac users do to save images (sorry). Hope it works for you.
    278614775_X4PjY-X2.png

EDIT by Andy: It's also right here:
    http://ballgamepictures.smugmug.com/photos/278614775_X4PjY-O.png
    Canon 7D! | Baux Pinhole MkIV | 30mm TP Tube Extender | SteadiHand IS system | BiPed 2000 Camera Support | Steely Gaze
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    Thank you SOO much for creating this for me! You're awesome! I have it on my site - finally! This is such a learning curve for me, but I'm enjoying the process. I do have another request mwink.gif It seems to be as dark as it gets - I went in to try to edit it to make it darker, but the only option was to make it lighter. I have quite a few photos that have white in them so this watermark doesn't show up on those. It works beautifully on the darker images, though. If it's not a problem, can you either make a dark one, too, or tell me how to darken it so I can have a light version as well as a dark version.

I know, you're probably all thinking - "send this woman to photography school already!!" rolleyes1.gifMaybe some day when my role as mom lessens, and I win the lottery and don't have to work anymore!
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    there 'tis.
    Hope I pasted this in right...

http://www.ballgamepictures.com/photos/278824651_qGqGS-O.png

Tom

BTW...seeing as how your photos are probably un-photoshop'd and un-lightroom'd...maybe it's us that need a little learnin' ;D
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2008
    BGtom wrote:
    Hope I pasted this in right...

http://www.ballgamepictures.com/photos/278824651_qGqGS-O.png

Tom

BTW...seeing as how your photos are probably un-photoshop'd and un-lightroom'd...maybe it's us that need a little learnin' ;D

Thank you so much, Tom. Both watermarks work great. I really appreciate you taking your time to create them for me. I hope it only took a couple of minutes to do so. I'll take your last comment as a compliment, so thank you for that as well thumb.gif
  • Options
    Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Some great watermark methods from Photoshop Guru Russell Brown here: CLICK HERE TOO VIEW

and here:

CLICK HERE TO VIEW
    Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/
  • Options
    BillyAckersBillyAckers Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Well, yes, I would love to. And will do that when I can. For now, I think I've figured something else out :)

Does Fireworks work on MAC? I have used that in the past... before I converted to the joys of CS4 !!!
  • Options
    BlinkingsBlinkings Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Watermarking is a good idea in theory, but anyone can remove it with photochoppe in about 2 seconds. They are very distracting to the viewer, especially when its on an out of focus snapshot that really does not need protecting!. Just my opinion.
    All the best,
    Andrew
  • Options
    Mohamed.GhuloomMohamed.Ghuloom Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    I already designed my custom watermark, but would someone design one for me? I would love to see your tastes? Also does the watermark I have look good? :D
    Mohamed Photos
    Give a Message
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 11, 2009
    Bulk watermark entire portfolio
    Hi all,
    I've skimmed through this thread but could not find if this question had been previously asked.

Is there a way to place the same watermark on every photo in every gallery in my portfolio with one command?

I've seen the command in the tools menu to place the watermark on every photo in one gallery, but I have not seen one to do what I asked above.

Thanks,
    Bob
    http://designphotography.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2009
    BobKane wrote:
    Hi all,
    I've skimmed through this thread but could not find if this question had been previously asked.

Is there a way to place the same watermark on every photo in every gallery in my portfolio with one command?

I've seen the command in the tools menu to place the watermark on every photo in one gallery, but I have not seen one to do what I asked above.

Thanks,
    Bob
    http://designphotography.smugmug.com/
    No, I'm sorry there is not. :(
  • Options
    cyclemancycleman Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    thanks, Andy - I have looked at that section. just wanted to get it as transparent as possible.

and what abt the gallery title problem? I entered the gallery title again and saved the setting but the title still does not show in visitor or any other view.

dick

Andy wrote:
    Ask your questions here!

SmugMug Help - Watermarking

Some tips:
    • Make it readable!
    • Use smooth, anti-aliased fonts
    • Experiment with the "fade amount" and get it juuust enough but not too strong

Another tip from Anne McBean:
  • Options
    FatherMurphyFatherMurphy Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 14, 2010
    Hi
    www.wespics.com
    having these watermark issues.
    i create a watermark
    in cs5
    i make it 1200 x 300

then i save it as a transparent (png 24) as per the suggestions on smugmug
    and when the watermark gets applied
    it looks blurry and not good.....and because e their is no size changer
    the watermarks dominates the whole image

so the questions are
    how do i get the watermark i create to look good on the pictures?

take a look

wespics.com
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2010
    Hi
    www.wespics.com
    having these watermark issues.
    i create a watermark
    in cs5
    i make it 1200 x 300

then i save it as a transparent (png 24) as per the suggestions on smugmug
    and when the watermark gets applied
    it looks blurry and not good.....and because e their is no size changer
    the watermarks dominates the whole image

so the questions are
    how do i get the watermark i create to look good on the pictures?

take a look

wespics.com

Hi, you have 10 watermarks :) Please write our Support Heroes with exact details and we'll help you with our Support Heroes from the desk, thanks!
  • Options
    Jeremy HallJeremy Hall Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Watermarking Weirdness
    I'd like to describe my attempted use of watermarks and how it does & doesn't work for me.

I use a graphic watermark, made of a PNG file that I place in the bottom right of my photos where I choose to have them applied. Often for client galleries I apply them so they feel they won't be taken for commercial uses by others and for subtle marketing potential as I encourage them to post to Facebook & other social media sites.

In some cases I do password-protected galleries so they can access non-watermarked versions, particularly in the case of quick delivery needs for event photography. At times I "collect" a few photos into my public "blogged" gallery so I can publish an event wrap up with some sample photos from the shoot. When a photo is collected to a different gallery, it doesn't take on the attributes of that gallery as it pertains to watermarking. I can see why technically speaking this doesn't occur, being that it is likely just a reference to the same set of files within the SmugMug system, so additional files are not created. That said, I'd like to have watermarks on those public versions without having to re-upload them to the new gallery just for watermarked versions. I've lived with it though understanding why it likely works as it does.

Today I decided to apply a new logo to the "blogged" folder as the first step in a redesign process. When I applied the new logo to existing photos in the gallery, those virtual copies referenced from other client galleries also became watermarked, both in the public and non-public galleries. This seems backwards from the logic that explains why they didn't receive watermarks when they were collected into the public folder from their original gallery. So now when I browse the (password protected, non-watermarked) client gallery, those photos that were collected to the "blogged" folder now bear a watermark.

It would seem that the "apply to existing photos" function needs to ignore those photos collected from other galleries to stick with the logic of the original collection behavior, unless actual copies of display sizes are created from the originating gallery. I'm happy to be corrected or instructed on how this should work, but that is my current observation.
  • Options
    LAwomanLAwoman Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    I have been working on a new watermark using gimp software. Is there a way to combine the smugmug basic watermark (with the X and "copyrighted image" text) with my custom watermark? I don't have photoshop.

Thanks!

Christy / www.LAwomanPhotography.com
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    Blinkings wrote: »
    Watermarking is a good idea in theory, but anyone can remove it with photochoppe in about 2 seconds. They are very distracting to the viewer, especially when its on an out of focus snapshot that really does not need protecting!. Just my opinion.

I don't think you can generalize quite that much...if the watermark is over the top of detailed areas and not just light/dark sections, I don't think anyone can remove it in 2 seconds. Of course, another point to make would be the same people going through that much effort to steal it and remove a watermark would not buy it in the first place.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.