Options

Scanner for 4 x 5

D_C_NCD_C_NC Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited November 9, 2007 in Accessories
I read the other thread about 35mm and 2 1/4 but , now that I am thinking of buying a 4 x 5 view camera, maybe,,, I have to be able to scan them with the greatest of quality . The only answer I have seen is outrageously expensive, Imacon. Epson has a high definition flatbed that runs at a bunch and really does not give you the top quality. Also is Imacon a company still ? I see the Hasselblad Imacon association but , I do not seem to get through to the Imacon website anywhere , anyhow... So now here I am wanting to , maybe , do film but , now to get a scanner that really does the best job I am looking at $$$. So I am up for suggestions , as if I do this I want the scans to be the best as to not loose too much of my transparency . Or just buy a digital back and call it a day but , 4 x 5 scanned correctly looks really nice that I have seen... Realize this is all new to me and i am trying to find my way back to the world of imagery....

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited November 8, 2007
    D_C_NC wrote:
    ... I have to be able to scan them with the greatest of quality . ...

The best quality large format scans are using wet-mounted drum scans.

The Epson V700/V750 scanners come with a 4x5 holder and would be very useful for hires proofing. Any images that made it through the proof process could be sent to any of many agencies and magazine publishers that have the drum scanners and will gladly scan and cut you a DVD. It's not cheap but considering the initial cost of purchase and the upkeep costs those beasts incur, it can be reasonable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Drum scanning for the first timeheadscratch.gif

I do really enjoy the 200+ meg file created from our drum scanner of a 4x5 original. However, there are so many details that can not be overlooked in drum scanning, that I must say I like Ziggy's suggestion best. Get yourself a nice $500 flatbed, which by the way do a wonderful job, and then farm out the real good ones to a place that does wet mount drum scans. Ok Ok we actually do 200meg wet drum scans for $40 + shipping. After seeing over 8k 4x5 drum scans and comparing those digital files with digitally captured files from all the best backs and cameras, the one aspect of film that is forgotten is that it still holds a contrast ratio of about 10,000 to 1. Once scanned properly even in 8bit , the file can make stunning results. In addition, the cameras are cheap now and the film is the best it has ever been in all of history, amazing how that happens, just when something reaches its potential it becomes obsolete.

If you mustrolleyes1.gif there are some folks out there with very highend drum scanners just sittin in their shops who may want to sell for a real deal.

Good Luc
    Marc
  • Options
    D_C_NCD_C_NC Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Drum scanning for the first timeheadscratch.gif

I do really enjoy the 200+ meg file created from our drum scanner of a 4x5 original. However, there are so many details that can not be overlooked in drum scanning, that I must say I like Ziggy's suggestion best. Get yourself a nice $500 flatbed, which by the way do a wonderful job, and then farm out the real good ones to a place that does wet mount drum scans. Ok Ok we actually do 200meg wet drum scans for $40 + shipping. After seeing over 8k 4x5 drum scans and comparing those digital files with digitally captured files from all the best backs and cameras, the one aspect of film that is forgotten is that it still holds a contrast ratio of about 10,000 to 1. Once scanned properly even in 8bit , the file can make stunning results. In addition, the cameras are cheap now and the film is the best it has ever been in all of history, amazing how that happens, just when something reaches its potential it becomes obsolete.

If you mustrolleyes1.gif there are some folks out there with very highend drum scanners just sittin in their shops who may want to sell for a real deal.

Good Luc
    Marc
    Thanks to both of you . I am driving to the big city to look at the epson this Saturday and will take a few 4 x 5 transparencies with me and give it a whirl.( I asked the guy this morning at the camera store if i could take it for a spin) I am not in a big hurry to go spend a bunch of $$$$, especially since we are in a serious bear market for awhile it seems. eek7.gif I am looking , just looking , at this camera... http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=147 Light weight breaks down into two pieces , durable( I have been told)and not expensive. I knew about drum scanners , the big print houses had them but , small fry photographer I was I never had one or a need for one as I just handed all my transparencies over to the advertising guys , after that it was their deal. I have been out of touch for lets say over 20 years , I got out of the business in 1984.Now I am looking at trying my eye again, maybe..

Thanks again for the helpful comments.....
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Good advice there. From what I've seen you have covered your options: Epson's V700/750 flatbed, a drum scanner, or a digital back. Each step adds significant $$$$.

When looking at the Epson, keep in mind that the trays are not well-thought-of and probably need some fiddling with the height adjustment. There's an aftermarket tray that apparently is much better. Review here.