photo Trip

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited November 18, 2007 in The Big Picture
Mods, if this isn't the best place for this please feel free to move it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Last week the company I worked for had a large lay off, and I am one of the booted. :cry Fortunately it wasn’t a surprise. The good news is I am taking 3 or 4 weeks and going on a photo / people visiting. Road trip, adventure.<o:p></o:p>
As of this moment I am not sure of the exact rout, and I could change it on a moments notice, but will be traveling through Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, and will end up in the Phoenix area. I have one set of friends in Peoria, and recently got in contact with my old army buddy after 30+ years, and he lives in Queen Creek, which is on the other side of Phoenix. Surprise, surprise, five months ago what do you think he takes up? You guessed it, photography! Right now he is working on which end of the camera to point which way. <o:p></o:p>
He isn’t very computer knowledgeable, but he will learn. He sent me a full res photo (he didn’t know how to resize it) of a shot he liked. I cropped it, and printed it out at about 10” X 18” and sent it to him. Boy was he surprised when he got the mail!<o:p></o:p>
The point of this is to invite any Dgriner’s who might be on the rout and like a coffee meet, or help with suggestions for photo locations to contact me.<o:p></o:p>
The truck is serviced, and I am packing up the camping gear. I will be staying with friends in Las Vegas, and Phoenix, camping, and a motel or two should get me be by.<o:p></o:p>
Oh, and I guess I should get the map out and lay out at least a tentative plan. :D <o:p></o:p>
I look forward to any thoughts or comments you have.<o:p></o:p>
Sam <o:p></o:p>

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 26, 2007
    Sam, I know you've made similar trips before. If you pass through Kingman, it would be great to hook up for at least a coffee. I've always got time for a fellow biker from SJ. If the timing is right, maybe we'll do some shooting. Aaron (anwmn1) is usually game for a shoot if he's available as well.

One thing I would suggest if you haven't already done so is from Las Vegas, go through Zion National Park, then to Page Arizona. In Page you can visit the slot canyons, Horseshoe Bend, etc. Then it's a pretty straight shot down towards Phoenix.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    Sam, I know you've made similar trips before. If you pass through Kingman, it would be great to hook up for at least a coffee. I've always got time for a fellow biker from SJ. If the timing is right, maybe we'll do some shooting. Aaron (anwmn1) is usually game for a shoot if he's available as well.

One thing I would suggest if you haven't already done so is from Las Vegas, go through Zion National Park, then to Page Arizona. In Page you can visit the slot canyons, Horseshoe Bend, etc. Then it's a pretty straight shot down towards Phoenix.

Cheers,
    -joel

Thaanks Joel!

I'll look up your sugestions on trhe map. I will definitly let you know if I get near Kingman.

Here is another question maybe someone can help me with.

While traveling, not counting motels, does anyone have any ideas as to where I can get internet access for my laptop? Do all Strarbucs have wireless access?
    If they do what is a normal cost?

Sam
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited October 26, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    While traveling, not counting motels, does anyone have any ideas as to where I can get internet access for my laptop? Do all Strarbucs have wireless access?
    If they do what is a normal cost?

Sam
    I just pulled up this page on the Starbucks web site - http://www.starbucks.com/retail/wireless.asp. Looks like they have access in their locaitons via T-Mobile HotSpots, and it looks like you can get/use an account or you can get a day pass.

The Barnes & Noble bookstores around me (in the northeast) have wireless access, but again it is for a fee.

Panera Breads around here have free wifi.

I just did a quick search for public wireless internet access and came up with this - http://www.wififreespot.com/. It looks like it could be a good source of info.

--- Denise
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 26, 2007
    In addition to what Denise suggested, I've seen that some locations of McDonalds are now offering Wifi access. A couple of hours for a few bucks. You're of course welcome to my wifi if you're in Kingman. deal.gif
    edited October 26, 2007
    Kdog & denisegoldberg

Thanks for the info!!!

Sam
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Sam..sorry to hear about you being put off. Having met you and noticed your attitude to life then im sure it will be a minor issue & you will make a positive from it.
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Looks like you've already decided to turn a bad situation into something good. Maybe an amazing new job opportunity will present itself on this trip... Good luck and have fun! :D
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Heather CroweHeather Crowe Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 27, 2007
    I'm brand new to the dgrin community, but I live in Las Vegas and would love to get together. A lot of bars (sports bars in particular) offer free wifi so people can check their fantasy stats while watching a live game.
    edited October 27, 2007
    Gus, and Jen thanks for your kind words. Things happen for a reason. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Heather, I will send you an e-mail when I get to Las Vegas. My friend there is in the process of moving into an apartment right behind the Wynn so I think I will be within walking distance to the strip. I don't have any plans to gamble, but if your up for coffee, or a photo shoot that would be great.<o:p></o:p>
    I will be laying out a tentative itinerary today, and leaving tomorrow early am!

So far I plan on driving through Yosemite and over to Death Valley where my detination will be the Race Track. After a day or two there I will head over to Las Vegas.

I will see if it;s possible to post reports as I travel along.

Sam<o:p></o:p>
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Sam-

Sorry to hear about the loss of job. I am in the Phoenix area so feel free to give me a buzz if you need anything and for some coffee or shooting meetups. As Joel mentioned I am always up for a meetup as long as it is within a days drive.

Here are a few suggestions (sorry not linked)
    Besides the afore mentioned Bryce- Zion- and Slot Canyons there are tons of places to shoot as you come into the Southwest.

Vegas area- Red Rocks State Park is a nice little park to the NE of Vegas.
    Grand Canyon- North Rim- South Rim- the new SkyWalk (closest to Vegas)
    Sedona- Oak Creek - Jerome-
    Indian Ruins in Flagstaff- Cottonwood- Camp Verde
    Payson area has Tonto Natural Bridge- Fossil Springs- Mogollon Rim- more ruins
    Old Hwy 88 runs from Roosevelt Lake into Apache Junction along the North Side of the Superstition Mountains. Several lakes- one lane bridges- more ruins- possible big horn sheep- etc. (you can hit this coming from Payson back to Phoenix)

Other unique towns-
    Wickenburg (between Vegas and Phoenix)
    Superior- Globe (NE of Queen Creek)
    Florence (SE of Queen Creek)

Hmmm... thats it for off the top of my head. ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited October 29, 2007
    Anwmn1,

Thanks for the info. I will study it later. Right now I am on a 200 mile side trip to Pahrump get new tires.

I blew out one tire yesterday, after a trip down a rock, dirt, washboard road, and now don't trust he other tires. I just love those little bitty jacks they give you. You just try getting the truck high enough to put the spare on!

Good news though. After the local Goodyear guy quoted me a price, (tires in Pahrump are pretty dear), I went for coffee, and returned to have them installed, he said he made a mistake, and didn't have all 4 tires in stoch, so he upgraded me to a heavy duty truck tire at no additional cost!

Sam
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Sorry to hear about the layoffs -- but 3 to 4 weeks of photo hunting? Way to go! A great opportunity to make lemonade out of lemons!

Sorry to hear about the flat tire. Glad it was resolved well! Reminds me of when I drove cross country from New Jersey to California and was pulling a U-Haul behind me. The guy very carefully picked out a U-Haul with good tires for me. The first flat was in Illinois, the second flat was in Utah! So much for good tires!

Oh well, all adds to the adventure, right? Have a fantastic trip and I hope you find enough wi-fi spots to keep us posted.
    edited November 1, 2007
    Update:
    I am back at the tire store in Pahrump. Needed to pass through to get to Las Vegas, so I thought I would get a small wheel imbalance, or what ever the problem is taken care of.

My cell phone has now died as well.

On a brighter note I ran into a Smugmuger! I saw her Smugmug camera strap, and it was like meeting family!

Denise and I spent the day chatting, and photographing! Here is a photo of the two of us, I am the unkempt one on the right J .

Sam
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif The straps are working already! :D
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Such a small world! Glad to hear that you're on the move again!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    I am the unkempt one on the right
    lol3.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Sam I'm sure sorry about the job loss, but love your attitude and that you are taking advantage of the time to hit the road!!! My job is looking more "iffy" everyday, so I may join you! So you got off to a little rough start, but hey! Bad tires = new, better tires...not a total loss! And I just knew those Smuggy camera straps were going to come in handy!!! I can't wait to get to wear mine somewhere public! Great shot of you and Denise....hope your adventures are all uplifting from here on! Keep posting...I'll be following your thread. :D
    edited November 6, 2007
    Still in AZ visiting. Two nights ago we went to the local shooting range, and there was a group of "cowboy", and "cowgirl" shooters.

They dress up in western wear, and have authentic period guns. Some are black powder. We stayed and tried to get some night shots.

Boy howdy is that tough! Here is one. I don’t have any noise reduction software on my laptop, and I am not sure of my processing on the laptop, but it will give you an idea of the event.

Sam
    edited November 6, 2007
    One more.

Next time I think I will try this in daylight!

Sam
    edited November 10, 2007
    The adventure continues. I had a chance to meet up with Aron, AKA anwmn1 outside Phoenix.

Digital grin sure has a buch of nice folks.

Spent Thursday, and Friday driving to Horseshoe Bend, Lower Antalope Vally slot Canyon, and a fast swing through the Grand Canyon.

Here I am at Horseshoe Bend.
    edited November 10, 2007
    Here is a photo of my Army buddy Dave and myself at the Grand Canyon.

This is the clasic pose of, ok the timmer is going, what do we do now?
    edited November 11, 2007
    Here is a shot of 20 mule team canyon. Mytruck gives it some perspective.

Sam
    edited November 11, 2007
    Sam wrote:

Sam
    Hey - where did you find those clouds? My time in 20 mule team canyon - in fact pretty much everywhere except for my first day in the park - was almost cloudless. I know, I know, blue skies are beautiful. But clouds make it more interesting.

Love the shot...

--- Denise
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    The shot of 20 mule team canyon is so sharp and clear, I feel like I am standing there! Nice shots!!
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Your a lucky man Sam. I dream of the day that i can just head off like you have. Hell i'd be as happy as a pig in muck to be pushed into it. Keep the pics coming mate...im enjoying them.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Sam wrote:

Sam

Sam it was a pleasure to meet you and learn a little bit about printing. Think it will be a while before I venture there but you have peaked my interest.

Never heard of 20 Mule Team Canyon before. Care to describe its whereabouts? Looks like you were blessed with unusual cloudy skies- lucky bast***. rolleyes1.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited November 13, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Never heard of 20 Mule Team Canyon before. Care to describe its whereabouts? Looks like you were blessed with unusual cloudy skies- lucky bast***. rolleyes1.gif
    Since Sam's still on the road with his camera, just thought I'd jump in with the location.

20 Mule Team Canyon is in Death Valley National Park. It's near the eastern entrance to the park, coming in on route 190 from Death Valley Junction. And it's gorgeous! I was lucky enough to wander there a couple days after Sam did.

--- Denise
    edited November 18, 2007
    Ok, lets try this post again. I just lost the entire post???<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    I have returned……………………I have more photos to sort through than all the camera gear Andy has ever had or sold!<o:p></o:p>
    One question………………………..how come the images I have posted show up as attachments rather than imbedded in the message body?<o:p></o:p>
    I was lucky to have some clouds. I stayed at Death Valley on my way out to Phoenix and on the return trip home..<o:p></o:p>
    I really enjoyed sleeping in the bed of my truck. I could lie back in my sleeping bag and look straight up at the stars. It’s amazing how many stars you can see once you get away from the city lights.<o:p></o:p>
    There is water in Death Valley, although the water here is very salty. Hence the name of the creek. Here I am at salt creek.

Ok!!!!! Now I can't upload an image!!! What gives???

Sam<o:p></o:p>
    edited November 18, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    Ok!!!!! Now I can't upload an image!!! What gives???

Sam<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Welcome home! I was beginning to wonder where you were... Did you make it to Mosaic Canyon?

The reason you can't upload an image is that uploading was temporarily turned off due to server load - see http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76574. Baldy says they are putting in some new servers...

You can still link to images if you have a site somewhere else to hold them.

--- Denise
    edited November 18, 2007
    Welcome home! I was beginning to wonder where you were... Did you make it to Mosaic Canyon?

The reason you can't upload an image is that uploading was temporarily turned off due to server load - see http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76574. Baldy says they are putting in some new servers...

You can still link to images if you have a site somewhere else to hold them.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise!

Yes I made to Mosaic Canyon. Not sure I got anything. The sun was off to the side, so the canyon was pretty dark.

I did get on the sand dunes for sunset, and Salt Creek in the morning. I have a few I think will be good.

I went to Valley of Fire and thought of you.........lots of rock photos.

Sam