Options

Sony DSLR-A100 Lens Question

Wendy WitthusWendy Witthus Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited March 29, 2008 in Cameras
I just purchased a Sony DSLR-A100 camera. Anyone else out there own one? I'm interested in seeing what the camera can do and your opinions. Also what lenses do you suggest buying?
Thanks!
Wendy

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    Wendy, you had posted this in the thread about how to not get ripped off by vendors.

I think your question is best served here in the forum as a stand-alone thread, where more eyes will see it.

Good luck! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    I just purchased a Sony DSLR-A100 camera. Anyone else out there own one? I'm interested in seeing what the camera can do and your opinions. Also what lenses do you suggest buying?
    Thanks!
    Wendy

Wendy,

I have one for more than a year now (10,000+ clicks). I love it and I think it is the best bang for the buck.

My suggestion is to look for some minolta lenses on ebay. My prefered (cheap) lens though is the Tamron 28-85 f/2.8 and the Minolta 50mm f/1.7

Enjoy your new camera, I'm sure you'll take fantastic shots with it.
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    a100
    Thanks!
    Wendy

Hey Wendy,

After owning Minolta products all my life, I made the move to the Sony a100 about 8 months ago. I probably would have moved to Canon or Nikon but i already had Minolta gear and the camera had gotten rave reviews. Needless to say, I have been impressed. The only drawbacks that I have encountered is that Sony continued Minotla's legacy of useing a proprietary hot shoe. If you plan on using studio flash, you'll have to go on eBay and find a pc-to-hotshoe converter for a Minolta. They run about $15 including shipping from Hong Kong.

Lens are a different story. Shortly after I purchased my camera, I picked up a Sony 18-200 lens. It did not feel as solid as its Minolta predecessors. Sure enough, 6 months after purchase, condensation began collecting on the internal elements. It is at Sony now for repair; however, I have an event to photograph this weekend so I ended purchasing a 2nd Tamron 18-200. I'm extremely impressed with this lens. It looks like the Sony will be relegated to a backup when it is returned.

I do like the Zeiss optics for the a100. A bit pricey but the 85mm makes a great portrait lens.

The more I use the a100, the more I like it. I hope that you enjoy yours.
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    Sony 50/1.4
    :DDSC00673.jpg
    This lens is REALLY nice. clap.gif give it a try.
    Regards, David
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2007
    Thanks!
    Wendy

Wendy...I love my Alpha. I had Minolta gear and now in a buying mode of finding 20yo lenses on eBay in Mint condition for dirt cheap. What I liked about this was the Anti-Shake was built into the body and not the lens, so any lens put on had AS. Check out my site and you can see some examples. Also check out www.dyxum.com a fantastic forum for Minolta users. They have a lens database and the members on there are just as nice as the members on this forum...highly recommend it...best of luck

Ed
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2007
    I do not own sony but the Minolta 7D (2 of 'em)....I have used Sigma lens on all my cameras from Minolta SRT's, pemtax, nikon and now my 7D's and I highly recommend the 24-70 and 70-210 (200 now) 2.8....both are fantastic lenses......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Wendy WitthusWendy Witthus Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 28, 2007
    Sony Camera and lens
    Thanks for sharing information!
    I'm going lens shopping tomorrow -- see what I can find for cheap. lol
    I enjoyed the photos on your site! Great Shots!
    Wendythumb.gif
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    Art Scott wrote:
    I do not own sony but the Minolta 7D (2 of 'em)....I have used Sigma lens on all my cameras from Minolta SRT's, pemtax, nikon and now my 7D's and I highly recommend the 24-70 and 70-210 (200 now) 2.8....both are fantastic lenses......

I'm with you Art!! thumb.gif
    I have the Sigy EX DG 24-70mm F2.8 Macro for my Canon.
    Very sharp lens and does great macro too!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    Me and my alpha
    I've had my Sony a100 since December, I think I'm over either 20,000 or 30,000 shots.

I just had my CCD professionally cleaned as the camera's CCD cleaning just didn't do it for me. I'm going to get a cleaning kit. They got most of the dust, but left me with about 4 spots.

I have the kit lens, and I got the kit telephoto 75-300. I was hoping to use my Minolta lenses, but only one fit the camera. I finally stopped using it, It just wasn't as sharp as the kit lens, that's when I got the 75-300 and it's much sharper.

I can, however, use my Maxxum tokina telephoto at the macro end (does very well) but I usually don't take it with me because it's so much heavier.

Be very careful what you purchase used to make sure it will fit the camera. We had bellows and a bunch of lenses, but the were for our old SRT 101 (or whatever it was) and they did not fit the alpha, altho the Maxxum lens did.

I really want a macro lens -- and I'd love a smaller f stop lens. I'm hoping a local camera store which at tone time had a ton of used lenses is still in business and I can pick up some inexpensive lenses.

I do find the auto focus a bit slow on the 75-300 and have lost some flying bird shots, but other than that...

I do have my eye out for the new a700.... but am waiting for the final image quality verdict from dpreview.

My second choice would have been a Nikon, but I'm always the odd one in the bunch :-)

Keep enjoying your alpha! Be sure to check out the website gman33 listed... print it out and keep the list with you for impulse buys :D
  • Options
    DesignsmithDesignsmith Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Wendy,
    I realize that it is a little late to be putting my oar in, but my favorite lens is the Minolta 70-210 “beer can.” It’s built with metal canisters making it solid and durable. It weighs a ton, but a great lens in my option. If you watch eBay you can find one without much trouble and even sometimes it’s bigger brother, the 70-300 mm “big beer can.”
    Enjoy you Alpha.
    DS

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
    -Marcel Proust

Sony A100: Dician VG-1 grip: Made Products Camera Armor: Sony 18-70 f3.5-5.6: Minolta 50 f1.7: Minolta 28-80 f3.5-5.6: Minolta 7-210 f4: Sigma 70-300DL f4-5.6:
    Cambron 2x converter: Minolta 3500xi: SanDisk Ultra II 2GB x6: Lexar Pro 8GB x3: Cokin filter system: PSP X2:
  • Options
    anaryanary Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 29, 2008
    New Camera
    Hello to all!

Sorry for my ignorance. I am a newbee and I am in the market to purchase a new SLR. As I look at these new digitals, it's making me quite confused. I was looking at these two camera's. Any suggestions?

The lenses may not be so great here? what kind of lense should I get?

Canon - EOS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera - Black

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8472244&type=product&id=1185265538679

Nikon D300- 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera - Black

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8670878&type=product&id=1197074238741

It would be really nice to take some cool shots like all of you Pro's :

I'd appreciate any advice you can provide me.