Options

Post your favorites here

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited September 10, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
It's 8:37 AM and none of you west coasters have started a favorites thread yet? Must be one helluva Labor Day weekend for you folks out there. :rofl

Here are my 10 (in chronological order):

186942567-Th.jpg188227609-Th.jpg186609119-Th-1.jpg190129829-Th.jpg188911357-Th.jpg189208948-Th.jpg189897650-Th.jpg189664817-Th.jpg189882024-Th.jpg190390716-Th.jpg

Honorable Mentions:

190872326-Th.jpg189814621-Th.jpg190788817-Th-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    This one was too hard to pick from. I really had something more like a top 15 to 20. Lots of great entries. The only distinction between the ones below and the other great photographs is that I felt they hit the theme a little better than some of the others. Obviously just MHO.

191006381-L.jpg
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    My Favorites
    Sorry for not whittling it down to only ten, but I am visiting friends this weekend and don't have much time - plus whittling it down to ten is the judges burden, not mine! rolleyes1.gif

In order of submission:

#5 The Swheat Life

#6 Spiritual Soul

#12 The Beginning?

#20 Hone

#25 Pursuit of Happiness

#29 Metal Strategy

#37 Super Shiny Super Sidewinder

#50 Measure of a Man

#51 Superwoman

#62 Hold on Tight

#71 Give Me a Lever Long Enough

#75 Balancing Act

#82 Very A-peel-ing

These are my top 13. It's getting harder each round to choose only ten. Another inspiring round!
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Seriously! This was REALLY hard to whittle down to top 10! I know I've stated it before, but I'm so glad I'm not one of the judges. These are my top 10, but admittedly, there's about 17 I want to be in the top 10...
    191030360-L.jpg
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    I'm not saavy enough to know how to insert anyone's pictures into my post but if anyone wants to PM me the secret handshake or direct me to a how-to link, I'd be most appreciative! So instead I just linked to the individual posts.

#1 - The Daily Show I LOVED this the minute I saw it, and kept coming back to see it over the course of the challenge. Easily my top choice both then and now. Superb picture!!

#2 - Spiritual Soul
    #3 - Harvester
    #4 - Both
    #5 - Hold On Tight
    #6 - The Swheat Life
    #7 - Hail Mary
    #8 - Metal Strategy
    #9 - A Stitch in Time
    #10 - Give Me A Lever *

* I love the concept of this! A simple machine :D and a refreshing contrast to the other 'machine' entries.

HONORABLE MENTION - Dumb Bell
    Two points for the title since I'm having the same kind of week you are, Laughing.gif. But I so loved the emotion you captured that I gawked! Again and again! But my eye kept fighting to stay on HIM rather than move to the very strong background.

HONORABLE MENTION - Left to Rust
    I can't explain why, but this picture seems poetic to me. And the colors that nature has left behind are just really lovely and captivating. This was definitely my favorite of all the closeup machine shots, - neither too close in nor too far out, and interesting enough to be an abstract on a wall.

There were other shots that were perhaps more ... technically awesome? for lack of a better phrase ... but from an emotive standpoint they didn't do it for me. So my bias is pretty evident and might better explain some of my top choices. I want to FEEL a picture, and that's admittedly hard to do with machinery but some folks pulled it off beautifully!

• Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    My Faves
    Here's my top 12 in no particular order (VERY hard to whittle it down even this far!):

191039476-L.jpg
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    stirfry wrote:
    HONORABLE MENTION - Dumb Bell
    Two points for the title since I'm having the same kind of week you are, Laughing.gif. But I so loved the emotion you captured that I gawked! Again and again! But my eye kept fighting to stay on HIM rather than move to the very strong background.

Thank You for the HM,
    Everything in my photo has correlation..."Strength, Strong" everything needed to be Strong in the photo...I thought about blurring it, but decided against it. the background is actually a "Steel Mesh"...to match the strength of the dumbbell, the intensity of the man's face. That is why I think, All Brawn and No Brain....Everything around them has to be Strong, they always have to prove how strong they are.

Good Luck on your entry!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    the ones that moved me most....minus Pyro's Ford Truck because I couldn't get the image - it's one of my fav's too....
    191044708-L.jpg
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    First, a big thank you to Emily (greensquared), Stifry and Pat664422 for including my entry in your lists.
    Second, this was a really tough theme that produced an incredible range of entries. Hard to get down to 10 but here goes...

My top-10:
    191054730-L.jpg

E
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2007
    Mine
    "The Harvester" is a favorite cuz for some reason it reminds me of the movie the "African Queen" with Katherine Hepburn and Boggie.

It amazes me HOW far MAN has come...but then you wonder is it really PROGRESS, when you think about how Man's Machinery is effecting our Mother Earth!!

I LOVE THEM ALL ...and BEST of LUCK to EVERYONE!!
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    I whittled and whittled and could only get down to 12 and wanted to add back at least 10! Great job everyone! clap.gif191090135-M.jpg
  • Options
    SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Here's my top eleven. Why eleven? ....so none of you get cocky! rolleyes1.gif

Lots of good shots to choose from. Congrats to all who entered!

191090844-L.jpg
  • Options
    Green2Green2 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    My Top Picks - No Order
    191108692-O.jpg
    Todd
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    I've been out of town all weekend and am just getting back. Here are my top ten!

191190440-L.jpg
  • Options
    kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Such great shots! I don't have time to do the composite thing (bus stop duty) but will share my favorites. Just in order of posting.

Hail Mary - Povertybarn
    Spiritual Soul - Fashiznitsngrins
    Dumb Bell - Tentacion
    The Harvester - C Murph
    Home - Visual Expressions
    Pulse - Liquid Air
    Pursuit of Happiness - Strikeslip
    August Nights - Indiegirl
    Dude - RSinMadrid
    Left to Rust - JillG
  • Options
    imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    No Specific Order

The Swheat Life
    Thrill Ride
    Pulse
    Metal Strategy
    Direct Drive
    Like a Rock
    Focused
    Give Me A Lever Long Enough
    AMUSING AUTOMATONS
    Are they?

Best of luck to all.........................................................

Joe
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Since I'm not a judge this time mwink.gif , I decided I don't have to limit myself with 10, or 12, or whatever arbitrary number, and simply picked up those I liked the most. :D

191240001-O.jpg

Great round, everyone! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Okay, my first pass through I had 17. I whittled it to 15 pretty easily, but found it tortuous to go from there. Some incredibly cool shots this round! clap.gif

My faves, in no particular order:
    191278348-M.jpg
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    LPS11 Favs, Scores, Judging
    193502673-M.jpg

This judging experiment is to learn more about judging, hone my skills, and sharpen my awareness.
    In state fair judging, four judges decide individual scores. The top scoring images are then placed in descending order based on score.
    Judges begin a second round, picking 1, 2, 3 and Honorable Mention for each category. This consensus judging may reorder the images [Anasazi Pleasure fell from 3rd to HM].
    For the 3rd round, judges pick Best of Show from the top winners in each Category. A judge may agree or disagree; he or she may choose individual images to get a Judges Choice.

Below, I go thru this process for my choices of LSP11, indicating how I arrived at images placed in order in the collage.

Fog Lights
    Impact 5
    Composition 4
    Technical 4
    Score 13
    Comment
    Well balanced, ethereal.Could use highlights on orange markers. +1Crop top slightly. +1
    Judges Choice

Metal Strategy
    Impact 5
    Composition 4
    Technical 4
    Score 13
    Comment
    Very nice… can only quarrel w thumb {?} in front of one pawn and cut off pawn in front.

Soul Possession
    Impact 4
    Composition 5
    Technical 4
    Score 13
    Comment
    Subtle and high impact… would like to see crop eliminate some of black on lhs.

Pulse
    Impact 5
    Composition 4
    Technical 4
    Score 13
    Comment
    Compelling… my eye seeks some third point contrast to further enhance this superb composition.

Superwoman
    Impact 5
    Composition 3
    Technical 4
    Score 12
    Comment
    Lovely… very dynamic, almost impossible to capture. Lost points on right hand; needs more space! Fingers seem to be cut off… +2. Fingers lead my eye out of picture.
    With fingers – Best of Show!

Daily Show
    Impact 4
    Composition 4
    Technical 3
    Score 11
    Comment
    Strong daily ‘grind’… this man has a persistent six hour shadow; a little vignetting using blends would strengthen his grimace +2.

Swheat Life
    Impact 5
    Composition 3
    Technical 3
    Score 11
    Comment
    I love this tranquil image… but can nit pick; left most tree is unnecessary, pool reflection detracts (could use Gaussian blur), and leaf sharpness is distracting (too much information).
    Judges Choice

Hone
    Impact 4
    Composition 4
    Technical 4
    Score 12
    Comment
    Exquisite balance and color… sparks add a lot! But, it was 2nd tier when others were rejected.

Are They
    Impact 4
    Composition 3
    Technical 4
    Score 11
    Comment
    Like the concept, but dislike the centered figure with too much space at the top and too little at the bottom.It seems a natural if posed from lower right to upper left in thirds…

Amusement Automations
    Impact 4
    Composition 3
    Technical 3
    Score 10
    Comment
    Did well with this image until my eye left the pic on the interrupted whirly thingy on the upper right.2nd tier when others were rejected.
    Honorable Mention

Thrill Ride
    Impact 3
    Composition 3
    Technical 3
    Score 9
    Comment
    This image needs several subtle changes; keystoning is a serious detraction – eye goes out of picture on upper right. Blending could make the oncoming gondola much more prominent, particularly if that remarkable red roller coaster were more dramatic.
    Honorable Mention

In essence, judges silently give initial scores. Then images are ranked by numerical score.
    Finally, judges come to discuss individual preferences and merits of each image, placing them in intermediate order as their thoughts distill. In the end, they place the images in order of consensus.

Then judges gave Best of Show and Judges Choice.

Enjoy...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Wow! Thanks for thinking so highly of "Superwoman," Joe! And thanks to Linda and Pat, too!

Funny thing is, I agree with you, Joe, about her fingers. Tragically, she couldn't hold the pose for long because it's such a difficult pose.

I remember last May when I did my first night shoot with my photography class, I was sooooo excited about some of the shots I took and couldn't believe they actually came from camera! I told everyone in the class that I was done with photography since I really had reached the pinacle of my abilities. rolleyes1.gifThey all laughed at me - real hard - and told me to keep shooting. That's how I felt about the photos I took of my athlete friend in combination with some CS3 work. The results with "Superwoman" are far beyond anything I could have imagined myself being able to do. I know... I've still got a ways to go... stop laughing at me, DGrinners! :D
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    Get INTO the Flow!
    Felicia wrote:
    Wow! Thanks for thinking so highly of "Superwoman," Joe!
    Funny thing is, I agree with you, Joe, about her fingers. Tragically, she couldn't hold the pose for long because it's such a difficult pose.

The results with "Superwoman" are far beyond anything I could have imagined myself being able to do. I know... I've still got a ways to go... :D

Felicia, its really no laughing matter!

I never saw an image like that before. Other photographers have a good eye; several of us talked about this image. It was even left on screen to sort of ... percolate! Then I sat down to see if I could 'rank' it.
    ... and out popped Best of Show!

Your effort has met with success, but you already know your growth is truly amazing. Even in the short time I've been watching you and LPS...

Superwoman is just one of the many reasons part of each day is spent at LPS; trying to "Go With and Get INTO the Flow!"

Congratulations!
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2007
    Thanks to those that liked my photo, your vote of confidence mean't alot.

Hmmm Maybe I should have just left my fan entry of "Florida's Cool Breeze" in..lol

Nice Job Everyone.