Options

IE7 Crashing? Got Norton too? Read here please.

gordoncgordonc Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited August 18, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hello, updated to 7 last night & noticed today that when I open a gallery on my site (outdoor images) I get an error report and it closes when I click on a picture or attempt to page forward. Any advice? Thanks, Gordon Campbell.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    gordonc wrote:
    Hello, updated to 7 last night & noticed today that when I open a gallery on my site (outdoor images) I get an error report and it closes when I click on a picture or attempt to page forward. Any advice? Thanks, Gordon Campbell.

Yes. I'm willing to bet you also have Norton Installed. Try these steps please? http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/NortonProblems
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    Thanks...
    Andy wrote:
    Yes. I'm willing to bet you also have Norton Installed. Try these steps please? http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/NortonProblems

Thanks, Andy that seems to have cured the problem. Gordon.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2007
    More Trouble?
    gordonc wrote:
    Thanks, Andy that seems to have cured the problem. Gordon.

Today I inserted an sd card w/new shots into my card reader & I'm constantly getting an "Auto Play" window popping up- can't transfer the pics and it's making even typing this nearly impossible- any suggestions?? Also Andy, regarding yesterday's advice in dealing w/ that Norton problem, should I reactivate it when not on Smugmug??

Thanks,, Gordon.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2007
    gordonc wrote:
    Today I inserted an sd card w/new shots into my card reader & I'm constantly getting an "Auto Play" window popping up- can't transfer the pics and it's making even typing this nearly impossible- any suggestions?? Also Andy, regarding yesterday's advice in dealing w/ that Norton problem, should I reactivate it when not on Smugmug??

Thanks,, Gordon.
    Hi, I have no clue about the card reader, I'm sorry :(

Your norton protection is on. It's just that browser helper object is busted by norton for some reason, we don't know why and Norton isn't very uh, helpful ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2007
    Ok>>>
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, I have no clue about the card reader, I'm sorry :(

Your norton protection is on. It's just that browser helper object is busted by norton for some reason, we don't know why and Norton isn't very uh, helpful ne_nau.gif

Thanks Andy. If anyone else may have a clue about this Auto Play window popping up & making anything to do with viewing or transferring image files impossible, I'd really appreciate a reply. Gordon Campbell.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    gordonc wrote:
    Thanks Andy. If anyone else may have a clue about this Auto Play window popping up & making anything to do with viewing or transferring image files impossible, I'd really appreciate a reply. Gordon Campbell.
    I get a box also sometimes when inserting things. I just close it and open
    Explorer to copy files.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    IE shuts down
    Everytime I have tried to view photos in either one of my smug galleries, or any other smug gallery, my browser shuts down. I can look at all the galleries that are available. I open one, the photos start to load, then suddenly they stop, and I get an error message, and then I'm booted off the internet.

Is anyone else having these problems? I've visited tons of other sites today, with no such error, just smug sites. I've rebooted, cleared cookies, did a system restore, but I still happens.

Am I all alone here? ne_nau.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    I've had issues of the same type lately. Just thought it was me...
    I'm not getting a crash, just that the site is not there. If I reload 1 or 2 times it will show up...
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2007
    I've had issues of the same type lately. Just thought it was me...
    I'm not getting a crash, just that the site is not there. If I reload 1 or 2 times it will show up...

I've had some slow page loading lately too, but this is the first day I've had the browser crash. Most times the last photo that's trying to load wont, then crash! If all the photos load, it crashes when I try to go to the next page of photos, or view a larger version of the featured photo. Wierd.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2007
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2007
    Allen wrote:

Thanks Allen, that did the trick. As always, you were a big help! :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    desertskydesertsky Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 6, 2007
    I'm glad I found this thread! This morning I could not view my photo galleries with either my HP desktop PC or Sony VAIO laptop, both running IE 7 and Norton Internet Security 2007. I could bring up the first page of a gallery, but as soon as I'd try clicking on a different photo IE would crash. Following the suggestions in the earlier post, I first downloaded the latest updates to Norton on both PC's. That didn't fix the problem. Disabling the Norton Confidential Browser Helper did fix the issue. I never would have figured this out on my own.

What's the long-term solution for this issue? Is this something that Symantec needs to fix? If so, are they working on it? This issue is going to affect a lot of users as Norton Internet Security comes pre-installed on many new PC's and laptops nowadays, as it did with my HP PC and Sony laptop. I know a couple family members who are also running Norton Internet Security and use IE 7. I shouldn't have to explain to them how to disable that Norton plug-in just so they can view my Smugmug galleries again without having their browsers crash. Not just family members. I often post links to my galleries on other message forums. I'll be relunctant to do that until this is fixed and doesn't involve the users changing their browser settings.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2007
    desertsky wrote:
    What's the long-term solution for this issue? Is this something that Symantec needs to fix? If so, are they working on it? This issue is going to affect a lot of users as Norton Internet Security comes pre-installed on many new PC's and laptops nowadays, as it did with my HP PC and Sony laptop. I know a couple family members who are also running Norton Internet Security and use IE 7. I shouldn't have to explain to them how to disable that Norton plug-in just so they can view my Smugmug galleries again without having their browsers crash. Not just family members. I often post links to my galleries on other message forums. I'll be relunctant to do that until this is fixed and doesn't involve the users changing their browser settings.
    We've told norton. Please do the same, okay?
    They're promising a fix to their bug.
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    Egads. Smug is crashing IE
    I've used IE for years with smugmug and no problems. I am using a PC with Windows XP and cannot view any Smugmug galleries without IE crashing. It's only happening on Smugmug and it happens as the images are loading.

Ideas?

Jesse
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 7, 2007
    Hey Jesse,

It's most likely to do with having Norton installed on your computer, read this for info on how to fix the resolve the issue.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    Fixed! Thanks, gang.

Jesse
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    Is anyone going to post when Norton fixes the problem? I'd like to remove
    the stupid red note I show on pages for IE users.

<div id="IEnotice"><a href="http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/NortonProblems&quot;
    target="_blank">IE Crashing When Clicking on PICS?<br>
    Got NORTON? CLICK HERE for FIX </a></div>

:hide or change it to "IE sucks, get a real browser"
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Is anyone going to post when Norton fixes the problem?
    I surely will.

They are promising a fix to their bug.

We are constantly emailing Norton about this. It really sucks.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    Round Trip
    Since Int Expl 7 caused so many problems I've gone back to 6 & am having those crashing problems that I originally brought up here w/ 7. Any ideas on how to re adjust back to 6 where I never had crash problems?? Thanks, Gordon C.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    gordonc wrote:
    Since Int Expl 7 caused so many problems I've gone back to 6 & am having those crashing problems that I originally brought up here w/ 7. Any ideas on how to re adjust back to 6 where I never had crash problems?? Thanks, Gordon C.
    Hi Gordon, remove that browser helper object, same as in IE7. It's a Norton Bug - and we're very sorry about this.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    Thanks.....
    Andy- that worked, thanks again. If anyone is interested I'm running a Dell laptop w/ XP Service Pack 2 & IE7 caused all sorts of problems while 6 works fine. Gordon C.
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I surely will.

They are promising a fix to their bug.

We are constantly emailing Norton about this. It really sucks.

..yeah, no kidding. I've lost quite a bit of traffic even with sticking a note on the site. Appreciate your diligence!

I will try writing them, but they usually never listen to me. Used to hate McAfee and now I also hate Norton. ..just too intrusive! ..and they want to suck up more and more cpu.

..as a note, I find ad-Watch from ad-Aware much nicer for popup and reg hack protection.

thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    Norton wrote:
    Please note that this issue may occur due to the crash of the Norton add ons installed in your Internet explorer. Hence in order to resolve this issue, I recommend you to disable the add on and then check for the issue.

(snip)

Note: Please note that Norton Confidential Browser Helper Object is mainly used to integrate Phishing protection feature with your browser. Sometimes if this extensions crashes with other Add ons, then you may face the issue. Please be informed that hiding fraud Monitoring tool in Internet Explorer will not affect your security level...

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

So um, hello Symantec? It was us (me actually, with a customer I worked with over the phone) who figured out that their BHO crashed Explorer rolleyes1.gif and then a week later, we get this email in response to one of our first email queries to them.

:pissed
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    jww wrote:
    ..yeah, no kidding. I've lost quite a bit of traffic even with sticking a note on the site.

I became aware of this issue last night the hard way. hooked up my new computer a few days ago. went to my site last night and the windows explorer kept closing. went to the Dgrin support forum and found this thread. I did the 'fix', and mine now works.

but I'm VERY concerned about this. while it may be a Norton bug, it's a BIG Smugmug problem. the fact that the only sites so far that are crashing the explorer are Smugmug galleries, confirms that it's Smugmug problem.

Even if norton does eventually fix the bug, there will stil be thousands, and thousands, of new systems out there that will have this problem.

after weeks of dilligence on my part, I've been granted access to shoot action photos at the largest, non-school,private soccer league in this part of the state, 150+ teams. it kicks off(punmwink.gif) in two weeks. I don't want parents contacting me, and telling me that they can't access my galleries.

I can live with a temporary solution.

but the idea that I will spend the next few weeks, or months, telling my new customers that they have to do 'this and that', to view their pics, is out of the question.

I, as well as many other Smugmug users, need assurance from the Fantastic SM support team that they are dillgentely working on fixing this, in case norton fails us.

botom line; do I spend the next two weeks relaxing, fishing, having fun, or do I spend it setting up my galleries somewhere that doesn't have this issue. which is apparently, the rest of the internet.

sorry for such a 'rash' post, but I consider this a VERY serious issue. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    nipprdog wrote:
    but I'm VERY concerned about this. while it may be a Norton bug, it's a BIG Smugmug problem. the fact that the only sites so far that are crashing the explorer are Smugmug galleries, confirms that it's Smugmug problem.
    I'm sorry to say, it isn't our doing. Norton has even admitted that their Browser Helper Object is the problem . And they intend to fix it. Yes, it sucks for us, we're mad as hell about it - but there's nothing we did to our site to cause this.
    I, as well as many other Smugmug users, need assurance from the Fantastic SM support team that they are dillgentely working on fixing this, in case norton fails us.

I'm working on it every single day. I wish I had more info and a fix from Norton today on this, but I don't.

:gun2 Norton
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Andy wrote:

I just discovered I had the same problem. I followed your instructions and it fixed my problem.

Just want to say thanks for quickly finding an interim solution and continuing to work with Norton on getting a permanent fix. Smugmug support is top notch. thumb.gif

Mike
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    OK since Norton wouldn't fix their craptacular fraud tool, we took matters into our own hands and SuperWebSlayer {JT} figured out how to not make IE cry when the Norton Browser Helper Object is enabled.

All should be fine in Norton-land, and anyone who has disabled the Browser Helper Add-on should be able to enable it again, and then browse SmugMug style galleries with no difficulty.

Please let us know, thanks!

And clap.gif to {JT}

SmugMug wrote:
    Although Norton wasn't particularly helpful or responsive in resolving
    their bug, one of our engineers tackled the problem and made changes on
    our end.

You and your visitors can now browse SmugMug without difficulty, even
    with the "Norton Confidential Browser Helper Object Add-on" enabled in
    Internet Explorer.

If you'd like to re-enable the add-on, you can do these following steps:

1) Open Internet Explorer.

2) Click Tools>Manage Add-ons>Enable or Disable Add-ons .

3) Enable the add-on by clicking the Enable button in the Settings box,
    lower left.

4) Click the OK button, lower right.

5) Close Internet Explorer and re-open it.

6) Browse SmugMug :)
  • Options
    BugbeeBugbee Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    OK since Norton wouldn't fix their craptacular fraud tool, we took matters into our own hands and SuperWebSlayer {JT} figured out how to not make IE cry when the Norton Browser Helper Object is enabled.

All should be fine in Norton-land... {JT}

And it is... thanks to continued great customer support. Norton sent me a couple of e-mails, but they wanted me to shut down functionality of there software... not surprised that you guys (and gals) figured it out without them. Norton is still wondering what's going on..rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 18, 2007
    Bugbee wrote:
    Norton is still wondering what's going on..rolleyes1.gif
    heh, we're wondering why the stupid norton software was breaking where it was. The piece of code we changed was a very benign thing. I dont really understand why norton would even care that we were doing it. ne_nau.gif
    Pedal faster