Options

Stop Already!!!

Comments

• Options
    EriktankEriktank Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    I've found even the newest smugbrowser doesn't save the settings properly to a newly created gallary... I always end up doing it manually to save the public/private/originals/watermark/etc on it... I've never tried starexplorer... anygood?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    StarExplorer won't add galleries? I don't use it (since I'm not running windows), but that's one of the things I love about SmugBrowser, is that you can set up galleries through it. I'm surprised that StarExplorer doesn't allow you to do that.

StarExplorer does allow you to create galleries. Because the API has constantly been behind the feature set of the site (not exposing all gallery options), it has usually been the case that I couldn't create and configure the galleries the way I wanted in StarExlorer so I have been creating galleries through the Smugmug site, then doing my uploads in StarExplorer.

For example, just recently I wanted to create a whole bunch of galleries with SmugIsland settings set a particular way. StarExplorer does not support that. I could create them all in StarExplorer, then go finish configuring them in Smugmug, then come back to StarExplorer to upload the images, but that didn't seem any eaiser than creating one in Smugmug, setting it up the way I wanted, saving a "quick settings" rule for it, then creating the rest in Smugmug, assigning the quick settings as part of the create process.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    StarExplorer won't add galleries? I don't use it (since I'm not running windows), but that's one of the things I love about SmugBrowser, is that you can set up galleries through it. I'm surprised that StarExplorer doesn't allow you to do that.
    StarExplorer does add galleries, serveral galleries, cats and sub-cats.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    StarExplorer does add galleries, serveral galleries, cats and sub-cats.

That makes more sense. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 14, 2007
    Eriktank wrote:
    I've found even the newest smugbrowser doesn't save the settings properly to a newly created gallary... I always end up doing it manually to save the public/private/originals/watermark/etc on it... I've never tried starexplorer... anygood?

Erik,

Can you please bug the specific issues in my SmugBrowser thread ?

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    StarExplorer does allow you to create galleries. Because the API has constantly been behind the feature set of the site (not exposing all gallery options), it has usually been the case that I couldn't create and configure the galleries the way I wanted in StarExlorer so I have been creating galleries through the Smugmug site, then doing my uploads in StarExplorer.

John,

I think part of the reason here, is that Nik has remained on version 1.1.0 of the API. New features haven't been added to version 1.1.0 for some time. API versions 1.1.1 and 1.2.0 should be fully in sync with the site as it currently stands.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    Not a big deal -
    For all the yelling and screaming in this thread, this is just not such a big deal.

An experienced user figures the button out in about 10 seconds. To an inexperienced user the button probably looks just fine.

I'd say let's get on with other things.
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
  • Options
    mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Try fasterfox, it's a plugin for Firefox. Also firebug, another plugin for Firefox.

Thanks again Andy.

That is cool.

My main page takes 5.8 seconds and PhotosByDate gallery takes 9 seconds.

There are only 10 photo images on my PhotosByDate page.
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 15, 2007
    mpmcleod wrote:
    PhotosByDate gallery takes 9 seconds.

0.630 seconds for me. But I have a small advantage, of course. mwink.gif
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Is it really all that hard to put things in alphabetical order?
    Nope. In fact, we just did, go check.
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    So that's what happened. Did you notice the "add photos to this gallery" is now missing.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    So that's what happened. Did you notice the "add photos to this category" is now missing:
    ? I'm not following :)
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Andy,
    Thats so neat, Well done Smugmug.
    I had no probs anyway with how things were but this is very good:D

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    ? I'm not following :)

Sorry, I meant "gallery" not "category"...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Sorry, I meant "gallery" not "category"...

Ohh ohh, The ability to "Add photos to This Gallery" is indeed missing right now. Andy, can you point this out to the team?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    EriktankEriktank Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Erik,

Can you please bug the specific issues in my SmugBrowser thread ?

Thanks,

David

Yup yup... done. Sorry for not thinking of that to begin with! :devbobo
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    So that's what happened. Did you notice the "add photos to this gallery" is now missing:

Bill/John,

This should be working properly now thumb.gif

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:

That makes me disproportionately happy wings.gif
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Just Keep It Up!...and see what happens! [...more Smugmug customers, I'll bet!]
    You Smugmug people just keep innovating and innovating!... and responding to what customers ask for (sometimes very quickly...and sometimes it takes a bit longer, but seems to eventually "get there")!
    WHEN will it ever stop???? NEVER, I hope! :D

My SmugIsland is working perfectly now, and I love it! wings.gif

Very nice that you got the alpha-sort on the new ADD button done so quickly, also. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    You Smugmug people just keep innovating and innovating!... and responding to what customers ask for (sometimes very quickly...and sometimes it takes a bit longer, but seems to eventually "get there")!
    WHEN will it ever stop???? NEVER, I hope! :D

My SmugIsland is working perfectly now, and I love it! wings.gif

Very nice that you got the alpha-sort on the new ADD button done so quickly, also. thumb.gif
    Thanks Papajay :D
  • Options
    iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    When I log in to SmugMug with fresh photos I do the following:

1) Say to myself: "Ah, I'd like to add these photos to my SmugMug site".

2) Look for an "add photos" button (now available on any page).

3) Then, I need to decide whether I want to add photos to an existing gallery or create a new gallery for these photos. One click, and I've made my choice.

(...)

Am I missing something? It seems to me like this is a change that'll take our existing SmugMug customers a few minutes (days maybe?) to adjust to, but it speeds up the process without significantly changing the way things work.
    Yes, you're missing one thing: the thought process may not be like your 1-2-3.

For me, it can go like that, but it also can go somewhat like this:
    1. I want to show something about <fill in subject> - "subject" becomes gallery name
    2. I start hunting around for photos that match "subject" - "subject" now becomes (abstract) "gallery", already containing my selection of photos
    3. Now I go to SmugMug to add that gallery (photos and all
    In this process, the "gallery" already exists in my mind, with a specific collection of photos, before I even log om to SmugMug - at which point clicking an "add gallery" button really is the most logical thing to do!

I don't (necessarily) look at a photo and think "now where shall I add that?", I'd sooner think of a gallery (a subject), and consider "which photos shall I fill it with?".

The point is: there is no one single process. Different people have different processes, in different circumstances. A good user interface caters to different thought processes and different work flows.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2007
    I don't really understand here. What is the gripe? You want two separate buttons there, one for "add photos" and one for "new gallery?"

And even though one button can cover both functions, you would rather have two? That's less complicated for users?
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    I don't really understand here. What is the gripe? You want two separate buttons there, one for "add photos" and one for "new gallery?"

And even though one button can cover both functions, you would rather have two? That's less complicated for users?
    Yes (as I've suggested before). To buttons for two functions.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    ...I'll ask about sorting and see.
    Yay, the menu sorting has been done! clap.gif

I really like these expandable menu's, hopefully other areas will benefit from this technology as well. (like replacing the current unsorted gallery select dropdown in the Move Photos screen)

thanks!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:

One button is great but it says "add photos". If it said "add things" it would in
    a lot of minds be more then just add photos. Also I'd like to see "add
    category" and "add sub-category" added in the drop also. They are buried
    deep in the control panel and have seen many questions that they can't find
    them.

:hide:D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    Yes (as I've suggested before). To buttons for two functions.

I have to admit, I just don't understand that desire at all. The new button handles both functions elegantly and quickly. Why clutter up the pages and add a second button?

The button was added for two reasons:

#1 - New users didn't know that all photos had to be in a gallery and that creating a gallery was the first step to adding photos. Now, they click "add photos" and are taken through the process.

#2 - Adding photos to an existing gallery was cumbersome, especially if your site was designed around keywords/timeline/etc. rather than categories and galleries.

Frankly, I absolutely love the button. I have a keyword cloud on my homepage and my galleries are hidden in my Control Panel. Not only can I quickly and easily add photos to an existing gallery from many places on my site, but I can also get a nice visual of how my galleries are organized into categories and sub-categories.

Occasionally it requires a single extra click for me to do something, but I actually have to click a lot less often on average.

I guess I just can't understand why 4 or 5 people here think we pulled a Microsoft Bob. At the very worst, you have a single extra click and a few extra seconds spent (once the bugs were fixed).
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    John,

I think part of the reason here, is that Nik has remained on version 1.1.0 of the API. New features haven't been added to version 1.1.0 for some time. API versions 1.1.1 and 1.2.0 should be fully in sync with the site as it currently stands.

Cheers,

David
    Please see this post/thread. Nik seems to think that a whole bunch of options are missing from the latest API. Among them:
    • Geography
    • Appearance
    • Photorank
    • True/Auto color
    • Proof Days
    • Backprinting
    • Quicksettings
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2007
    Is it really all that hard to put things in alphabetical order?

I was hoping you had one function that returned the list of galleries and that one function was changed to sort the list before returning it.

It appears this isn't the case as the gallery list drop down on the move photos page is still unsorted. Can you sort that one too, and any other place where we are provided a list of galleries to choose from?
  • Options
    sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:

clap.gif

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    I was hoping you had one function that returned the list of galleries and that one function was changed to sort the list before returning it.

It appears this isn't the case as the gallery list drop down on the move photos page is still unsorted. Can you sort that one too, and any other place where we are provided a list of galleries to choose from?

Sorting would be better than what we have now, but what we really need is the hierarchical gallery picker like the add photos button has. Because of my event photography, I have around 300 galleries, many that have the same name. I can't tell which is which is a flat list of just gallery names. So, I need some category/sub-category info in order to be able to use the UI efficiently. It would be great to add the gallery picker from the Add Photos button to the Move Photos interface. Way more efficient. Already sorted. Removes any ambiguity for like-named galleries. Lots nicer looking.
    --John
    HomepagePopular