Options

de-lurk yourselves

Comments

• Options
    mr judkinsmr judkins Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 28, 2007
    Greetings all.

I was put on to smugmug by a good friend, and have been relishing the chance to go through old photos again and get them online. It's really reignited my interest in photography, and I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

The little I've read on this forum already (as a lurker) has really inspired me to start focusing on improving my techniques - both behind the lens and in cropping and adjusting afterwards. I get the sense this is friendly, passionate and helpful community, and I look forward to getting involved.

Anyway, here are a few of the pics I've been uploading from the past few years...

135706689-M.jpg

135416302-M.jpg

135598488-M.jpg

I've got a lot to learn, and am looking forward to doing so...
  • Options
    Photo NomadPhoto Nomad Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2007
    Andy here comes my first posting
    Can I participate in "The Last Photographer Standing" without having a smugmug account? Most of the information for posting photos are directed at "smugmugers" . I will try to post one here and you tell me what you think. Thanks
    Photo Nomad
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Can I participate in "The Last Photographer Standing" without having a smugmug account? Most of the information for posting photos are directed at "smugmugers" . I will try to post one here and you tell me what you think. Thanks
    Photo Nomad
    Of course you can...go for it & welcome!

Also a huge welcome to the new d/grinners. Thanks for looking in.
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    we're giving away a one-year subscription to smugmug (basic account) to the best n00b contributor to dgrin. if you already have a smugmug account, i'll give an amazon gift certificate deal.gif

so lurkers - de-lurk yourselves, and start posting and contributing. it's easy to contribute in shots - tell the poster how you feel, you don't have to feel obligated to do a full critique (although there's a sticky in the challenge thread on how to critique) ... if all you can muster is "nice shot" well, that's okay too. but you can also tell the photographer how the shot makes you feel ...

in the other forums, contribute if you can answer a question - or if you notice something on page 2 or 3, and no replies, give it a courtesy bump so that others who may know the answer, will see it!

the mods will make nomination and we'll give away the prize in a month - and if this program works, we'll keep it up thumb.gif

Hey guys, is this promotion still going on? Im just wondering :P.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    Hey guys, is this promotion still going on? Im just wondering :P.
    nod.gif
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Consider me delurked!

been lurking here for a week or so. spent alot of time here the last few days searching and browsing. I've been looking for place to make a web site, and this seems to be the best. I've been shooting for most of my adult life. here are some of my interests;

DSC_5916p3.jpg

DSC_0186Z2copyw-1.jpg

DSC_9970copyw.jpg

DSC_1325vnoscopyp1w.jpg

DSC_8590L2w-1.jpg

DSC_5618b.jpg

Jim
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 14, 2007
    Photo Nomad
    I'm hoping you've seen the earlier reply already, from gus, but to reiterate: yes, of course! It's great to hear the LPS contest is attracting new shooters!!!
    clap.gif

However, don't post any contest photos here, they'll be lost in the noise! That's what the whole contest/challenge forum is for, go there, don't be shy!
    thumb.gif

go there:
    http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited April 14, 2007
    Welcome aboard nipprdog! photo nomad!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Thanks, Ian.
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    nod.gif

=)
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Wow, I'm finally delurked
    One of my New Years resolutions this year was to delurk myself on Digital Grin. I've been lurking daily for so long that I feel like I know the "regulars" that hang out here. I'm a noob and i love to learn. I always welcome C&C and I'll contribute where I can. What a great community!
    143106275-S.jpg
    C and C always welcome.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2007
    Mrs F wrote:
    One of my New Years resolutions this year was to delurk myself on Digital Grin. I've been lurking daily for so long that I feel like I know the "regulars" that hang out here. I'm a noob and i love to learn. I always welcome C&C and I'll contribute where I can. What a great community!
    143106275-S.jpg
    wave.gif welcome!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    xendless xurbiaxendless xurbia Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Hey Hey Hey!
    Been registered for a while, and I've also posted a couple of times. I really enjoy this place for two reasons.

1- The FANTASTIC photos member son this board take and post.
    2 - The Massive wealth of knowledge that I absorb like a sponge on a daily basis.

I'll contribut with this pic I took last week with my new 70-300mm Sigma F/4.5.

466402772_0a7e7f2add_o.jpg

466402776_1734181c7e_o.jpg
  • Options
    Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    ::stands up::
    "My name is Aaron and I'm a lurker."
    ::quickly sits back down to hide red face::

Found this site after reading about the Last Photographer Standing Contest during last round. I sat back and watched the 4th round. Decided to throw in an entry for the 5th. Seems like a nice little forum you have here. Thought I might say hi. Below are a couple of my recent favs I've taken. You can visit my gallery by following the link in my signature.

Happy shooting everyone :)
    Aaron

77020046.U6mfOveJ.jpg

77882929.RgKl9MZV.jpg
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
  • Options
    NazNaz Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 11, 2007
    I might stop lurking one of these days, but I doubt today is that day :harry
  • Options
    CathieTCathieT Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    The Ring In
    Hi all -

I'm Cathie (but you already knew that) ... and I joined here to be able to help my mum set up her Pro Account!!

I've helped myself to a guest gallery on her smugmug thingy ... what DO you call your "galleries" btw??, so you'll probably see a bit more of me around here too!!

Cheers,
    Cathie
    Cheers,
    Cathie

My Smugallery
    My Blog

If at first you don't succeed - you're doing about average!
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    Howdy,
    My name is Tony and I've been a photo hack much of my life, ever since working on my high school newspaper and yearbook in the late 70's. Never done anything pro, but love to take pictures. Digital has been both a blessing (no more processing costs) and curse to me (tooooo many pictures..).

I joined Smugmug more than a year ago, as a place to host my pics so that I could more easily share them. But I've still got a lot to learn about best utilizing all smugmug's features.

Motorsports is a big passion of mine right now, including autocross and track events. Used to race, but quit when 1st (of 3) boys was born; hoping to get back into it soon. My 2 oldest boys are now autocrossing, and will be doing track events this year. In fact, here's a scanned copy of a pic showing my first son (now turning 20!) in my arms, while my race car is loaded onto the trailer of the person who bought it from me.
    153559270-S.jpg

I wish I'd found digigrin sooner; I've only been lurking for about a month or so. Lots of good stuff here! My work pales in comparison to most of you, but I still enjoy it. I want to start learning more about post-processing stuff, and also how to better manage the volume of pictures I take. Better ways to store & manage, versus learning to let go (aka delete).

Here's a few pics from my site:
    144209694-S-2.jpg
    Took advantage of water on the skidpad.

97797643-S.jpg
    My wife, and sons, waiting to get on the boat to Alcatraz.

98473351-S.jpg
    Glacier ice during an Alaska Cruise in 2006.

93609497-S.jpg
    Another car.

97085950-S.jpg
    The grand canyon.

Thanks!
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    docphotodocphoto Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    i'm still gonna lurk.

But I have to thank all the members of this forum, specially Andy (the great collator of ideas), Ivar and David (best selling authors), Allen (the codemaster), and all the rest (whose names I've forgotten but whose ideas I've swiped).

Oh, and Sid (the embarassed), I thank you for almost two hours of enjoyable edge-of-my-seat-and-on-the-floor-laughing, while my wife hates you since I didn't get to bed until 3am the night I found your thread.

keep up the good work.
    maybe i'll try those assignments, and not hide in the shadows.
    gary
    at smugmug since May 2004
    docphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    thegoosethegoose Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Let me in!!!! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    chrisachrisa Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2007
    Long time lurker
    I am a long time lurker, been taking pictures for 25 +years. First year with a DSLR, mostly taking pictures of my family.
    My sons playing little league baseball now, so that's what I shoot alot of right now. Have a daughter playing soccer too.

Chris_IMG_9417.jpg

B.jpg
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Time to say hello...
    Hey guys/gals, guess it's time to say Howdy wave.gif from Texas.

I've been taking pics for quite a while and I'm presently a working photog in the rodeo arena. (no pun there, both meanings apply)

DGrin has a huge supply of GREAT photogs that contribute and share their hard earned knowledge. Good on ya'

I'm not big on posting often, but I'll try to hit the keyboard a bit. Just wanted to say how much I get from this group.

Here are some general pics from my smug site. Hope they don't hurt yer' eyes :D

http://rw.smugmug.com/

115369102-M.jpg

115306226-M.jpg

115369423-M.jpg

121049871-M.jpg

115310009-M.jpg

115368941-M.jpg

Well, I've tortured you fine people long enough...

Later,
    RW
    Randy
  • Options
    CamioCamio Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 3, 2007
    Hello all
    Time to say hello from Colorado, and the names Andrew btw. I've been taking photo's for about two or three years now and I just moved into the digital field. Here are a few of my photo's that I took with my D40:

527184680_6736c45c4e.jpg?v=0

527184668_55f53ac9e1.jpg?v=0

527184672_68cd402435.jpg?v=0
  • Options
    iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Delurking from Amsterdam
    Hi all!

Not that I've been lurking here for long, just been poking around a bit here before signing up with SmugMug and (obviously) Dgrin.

I'm addicted to travel, and (almost) never without a camera of sorts (a camera phone will do when in a pinch!). I came back about a month ago from a month-long trip to Yemen where I managed to make a self portrait - something I always try to do on a trip - and setting up my SmugMug page, it seemed just right for my "Bio" picture, at medium size below.

159819029-M.jpg

There's just a little gallery for now (Colorful Shibam), but there's more to come...

So, am I hooked yet? Well, I've got some feature requests... mwink.gif But it looks like I'll be hanging around in SmugMug and pestering Smuggers with questions and bug reports here .. and I don't know what else. We'll see.. (muttering to self about this ancient version of vBulletin that doesn't work like what I'm used to. ne_nau.gif )
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • Options
    SDJamesSDJames Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    chrisa wrote:

Chris_IMG_9417.jpg

Chrisa, nice shots! My kids are younger, but shoot their sports as well. What did you shoot for this pic: lens and exif? Nice.
    40D, 400 f5.6L, 70-200 f2.8L, 50 f1.8, Tam 17-50 f2.8
  • Options
    chrisachrisa Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 7, 2007
    EXIF.jpg

The Lens is a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
  • Options
    Carolyn LongCarolyn Long Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 15, 2007
    Lurking Breakout!
    OK, Andy, you have finally persuaded me to join the DGrinners! I have pestered you enough through the SmugMug help line. It's less shyness than intimidation at exactly how and exactly where to approach all these pros that has kept me from jumping in, but here goes -- I'll explore the threads or start one and see what happens.

Thanks for organizing this amazing project!

Carolyn
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2007
    OK, Andy, you have finally persuaded me to join the DGrinners! I have pestered you enough through the SmugMug help line. It's less shyness than intimidation at exactly how and exactly where to approach all these pros that has kept me from jumping in, but here goes -- I'll explore the threads or start one and see what happens.

Thanks for organizing this amazing project!

Carolyn
    clap.gifclap.gif Welcome Carolyn :D !!!!!!!!
  • Options
    SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Count me in....
    Hi everyone! I'm James from Texas - aka SaltFork. I just de-lurked myself (that sounds painful) this weekend posting in Journeys, People, Whipping Post, and Wildlife!

And since this thread is in the Sports forum I might as well throw a couple of those in too....

My son, Aaron, takes one for the team....

152048025-L.jpg

... but that's not nearly as painful as striking out. (BTW don't tell Aaron I posted this one....)

142543704-L.jpg

I'd love to know what you think of any of the shots I've posted.

Thanks!
  • Options
    mtuckmtuck Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2007
    n00b de-lurking
    Andy wrote:
    we're giving away a one-year subscription to smugmug (basic account) to the best n00b contributor to dgrin. if you already have a smugmug account, i'll give an amazon gift certificate deal.gif

so lurkers - de-lurk yourselves, and start posting and contributing. it's easy to contribute in shots - tell the poster how you feel, you don't have to feel obligated to do a full critique (although there's a sticky in the challenge thread on how to critique) ... if all you can muster is "nice shot" well, that's okay too. but you can also tell the photographer how the shot makes you feel ...

in the other forums, contribute if you can answer a question - or if you notice something on page 2 or 3, and no replies, give it a courtesy bump so that others who may know the answer, will see it!

the mods will make nomination and we'll give away the prize in a month - and if this program works, we'll keep it up thumb.gif

Hi Andy and everyone else,

I'm de-lurking here. I'm pretty much a total n00b in photography, I played around in high school but haven't done much in the past 20 years beyond point and shoot. Now that I have kids, I want to be able to really capture the moments of their lives. I found Dgrtn a little while back and have been coming a back more and more. I am in the process of acquiring some equipment. I plan on ordering my Canon 30D in the next week or so; I already have a Speedlight 580ex II and 17-40mm f/4L (thanks to Newegg) and I just got the battery grip today for Father's Day.

My p[icture taking focus will be my kids sports/activities and some portrait stuff.

I will try and contirbute as much as I can but I think for quite some time I will be looking for help from those more seasoned than me.

Thanks for a great site. See you around.

~Tucker
  • Options
    klcklc Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    New to Digital Grin
    Hi my name is Katlin. I am new to Digital Grin. I go to High school. I am not sure what my future career is going to be, but photography is my favorite desire. I take pictures constantly and practice all the time. I keep learing and hoping that this website can help me. I do not know much at all about this website, so if anyone wants to send me a message or contact me somehow to tell me more about this. That would be fabulous. At this point i have been trying to figure out this all day and still don't know how to upload a photo. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you very much! Have a nice day!
    iloveyou.gif Katlin
    "Each picture captures a unplaceable momment." I am thinking about being a photographer when i'm older. I practice alot and hope this website will help me grow to become a better photographer and help me learn more!
    :lust Katlin