• Options
    flxstrflxstr Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2007
    Invalid API Key
    Hi all,

Would love to try using Smugmanager, but can't get past this error message;

Login failed: Error #18: invalid API key

Logging in using my e-mail and password, but to no avail!ne_nau.gif

If anybody can provide the magic answer, i'd be most appreciative.

cheers,
    mark
  • Options
    javier.rinaldijavier.rinaldi Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    flxstr wrote:
    Hi all,

cheers,
    mark

The API key for the program is still valid, do you have any empty spaces in your login info?
    Try using a clean profile in firefox. You can use a shortcut like "firefox.exe -profilemanager" to create a new profile.
    Jav

Creator of: SmugManager

"There's no dark side or the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark..."
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    Invalid API key
    The API key for the program is still valid, do you have any empty spaces in your login info?
    Try using a clean profile in firefox. You can use a shortcut like "firefox.exe -profilemanager" to create a new profile.

Thanks for the response.

a) no, no spaces in login info. login info is just a standard e-mail address: photos[at]thedavies[dot]ca
    b) are any particular characters disallowed in passwords (i've got a hash (#) character) in there
    c) will try the clean pofile as soon as my photo download completes ;-)

thanks!
    mark
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    Invalid API key
    flxstr wrote:
    Thanks for the response.

a) no, no spaces in login info. login info is just a standard e-mail address: photos[at]thedavies[dot]ca
    b) are any particular characters disallowed in passwords (i've got a hash (#) character) in there

thanks!
    mark

tried option 'c', but no success either :(
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    flxstr wrote:
    Thanks for the response.

thanks!
    mark

a) good, make sure there are no spaces after the .ca
    b) actually a really good question, if smugmug allows it then the extension should pass it just fine.
    c) too bad, I thought maybe something got corrupted.

the reason I asked you to check these is that the way login is done is via posting a concatenated string value to an address and digesting the response. The variables in this string are based on the provided login information, should one of these be missing the string, the string is broken. However, there are checks in place so that empty fields are not allowed, but spaces in the information would break the string as well.

I don't want to assume anything, but a possibility is to try the extension on a different computer/location. This will help narrow down where the error might be coming from.
    Jav

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    I don't suppose there is anyone interested in programming a version of this for Opera? That would be fantastic!1 :D After all, Opera did get the top browser award! mwink.gif

http://internet-browser-review.toptenreviews.com/

Or if not for Opera a smugmug widget for Yahoo Widget would be cool also! :D

Edit: I'm downloading different widgets for the Yahoo toolbar, and there are all kinds of plugins to grab images from various galleries from Flickr and other places. Anyone ever programmed one of these? I'd love to have one for SmugMug to display pictures from my galleries randomly on my screen.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    Error #18 - Invalid API Key
    flxstr wrote:
    Hi all,

cheers,
    mark

Finally figured out the issue (after having some spare time at work to waste on it).

The sending of a '#' in a password causes either the application or API to reject it. My money's on the API, as it does indeed return a result (via Ethereal & through a browser), but as error #18.

So, don't use hash marks in your passwords when using this extension!
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Javier:

SmugManager is great -- makes my life a little easier.

Even better would be if under Control Panel, you added links for Comments and Today's comments. I'm not familiar enough with Firefox internals to hack this in myself, so I just added some Bookmarks.

Speaking of which, any reason why the Bookmarks dialogue can't include a "Bookmark this page" button? It's a little cumbersome to have to cancel, go back and copy the URL if it's too long to type.

Also, I don't know if Co-Branding is the right option under Customization. Unfortunately the "right" option is redundant: Customization->Customization. But hey, you have Control Panel->Control Panel, so it's not completely out of place.

But anyways, thanks for a great tool!!

--Darryl
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    darryl wrote:
    Javier:

SmugManager is great -- makes my life a little easier.
    thank you, that was my intention, I wanted to make my life easier when managing my site.
    darryl wrote:
    Even better would be if under Control Panel, you added links for Comments and Today's comments. I'm not familiar enough with Firefox internals to hack this in myself, so I just added some Bookmarks.
    Not a hard thing to implement really, just a few lines of code. I'll look into it, maybe I'll look into adding news as well.
    darryl wrote:
    Speaking of which, any reason why the Bookmarks dialogue can't include a "Bookmark this page" button? It's a little cumbersome to have to cancel, go back and copy the URL if it's too long to type.
    Well, I probably considered it at some point. My intention with the bookmarks was to have a place to link to private galleries, test pages, stuff that you don't cluttering you regular bookmarks but that you'd like easy access to, I personally like having my Statcounter and Dgrin links here. This is also not that hard to implement, I'll have a look-see.
    darryl wrote:
    Also, I don't know if Co-Branding is the right option under Customization. Unfortunately the "right" option is redundant: Customization->Customization. But hey, you have Control Panel->Control Panel, so it's not completely out of place.
    Customizing is Co-Branding, I think the term "Co-Branding" has sort of died off over time. It would make more sense to rename "Co-Branding" to "Customization Settings".

There was no real way around the Control Panel redundancy, I had to compromise there.
    Jav

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Javier,

I've been a bad boy. For quite a long time I've stopped using smugmanager, and I want to go back! :D

But I can't get it to work. No matter what I do it won't log in, and it stays stuck on just one site.

What's a feller to do? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Javier,

I've been a bad boy. For quite a long time I've stopped using smugmanager, and I want to go back! :D

But I can't get it to work. No matter what I do it won't log in, and it stays stuck on just one site.

What's a feller to do? ear.gif

Weird -- I just installed it on my work laptop for the first time, and it's acting wiggy -- I think login worked *once*, but has not worked again since. I had three Pro sites configured, one w/ a Guest Password. Removed that one. Still having problems. Very odd.

Windows XP Pro Version 2002, SP 2 - Firefox 2.0.0.8

I wonder if SmugMug changed something on the backend that broke things.

--Darryl

P.S. Tested on previously working laptop (similar config), same problem -- selecting different Accounts works, but Login/Logout doesn't work. Also fails similarly on OS X 10.4.10 (Tiger) with Firefox 2.0.0.8 there. :-{
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2007
    Hey guys,

I suppose it some sort of record that nothing has broken for so long.

At the moment the only thing I can think of is that the API 1.1.1 that I originally used with the plugin is no longer supported. I'll update that to (1.2.0) in the code but testing might have to wait until I'm home.

I'll keep you al posted on progress.

Jav

Edit: OK taking a closer look I think the issue goes a little deeper, when I use the login API method and redirect the user to the home page, the logged in user cookies are not created. I'm going to try an alternate method, wish me luck.
    Jav

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 2, 2007
    At the moment the only thing I can think of is that the API 1.1.1 that I originally used with the plugin is no longer supported. I'll update that to (1.2.0) in the code but testing might have to wait until I'm home.

I'll keep you al posted on progress.

Jav

Edit: OK taking a closer look I think the issue goes a little deeper, when I use the login API method and redirect the user to the home page, the logged in user cookies are not created. I'm going to try an alternate method, wish me luck.

Javier,

API 1.1.1 is still operational and I have just confirmed that API login methods are correctly setting cookies.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Javier,

API 1.1.1 is still operational and I have just confirmed that API login methods are correctly setting cookies.

Cheers,

David

Thanks, then it's definitely on the login methodology, I would love to be able to use the smugmug.com/login.mg to perform this, or at least fill in the fields automatically.

I tried doing
    http://www.smugmug.com/login.mg?username=####&password=#####

but only the username field gets filled in on the form.
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    I don't know what was causing some folks to have trouble logging in. I myself have no problems logging in (or out) here at home. If anyone else has troubles let me know, I don't have a lot of free time to spen on this but I promise I'll look into it.

One thing to note is, after login in, it might not immediately appear as if you're logged in succesfully. That is, until you load a different page on the website.

cheers all,
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    I don't know what was causing some folks to have trouble logging in. I myself have no problems logging in (or out) here at home. If anyone else has troubles let me know, I don't have a lot of free time to spen on this but I promise I'll look into it.

One thing to note is, after login in, it might not immediately appear as if you're logged in succesfully. That is, until you load a different page on the website.

cheers all,

I'm having the problem, and after I log in, I'll click "Your Photos" and I'm taken to the wrong account. I'm on Leopard, 10.5, fully updated FF.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm having the problem, and after I log in, I'll click "Your Photos" and I'm taken to the wrong account. I'm on Leopard, 10.5, fully updated FF.

1) Make sure to select the active account on the "Select Account" drop-down or the "Accounts" page.

2) Make sure your info in properly filled in for the accounts.

3) The extension should automatically forward you to the homepage for the account you logged into.
    Jav

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Awesome! I just installed SmugManager....it's fan-tastic! I can't believe how much faster it gets me to my control panel, etc. Thanks Javier for all the hard work you put into this. I can't wait to really utilize it! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    1) Make sure to select the active account on the "Select Account" drop-down or the "Accounts" page.

2) Make sure your info in properly filled in for the accounts.

3) The extension should automatically forward you to the homepage for the account you logged into.

1) Yup.

2) Done.

3) It forwards me to the account after I choose Select Account, but it's not logged in. I try logout/login, and every combination I can think of, but it just does not affect the login status.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    1) Yup.

2) Done.

3) It forwards me to the account after I choose Select Account, but it's not logged in. I try logout/login, and every combination I can think of, but it just does not affect the login status.

after you login, do you get the icon on the bottom right telling you that you're logged in?

after you login, have you tried navigating to a page other than your homepage?

can you check your cookies to make sure that under your custom hostname (if any) you have a cookie named SMSESS and under smumug.com you have SMSESS, SNAPP and SHOTT, after you have logged in and navigated to another page from your homepage.
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    after you login, do you get the icon on the bottom right telling you that you're logged in?

after you login, have you tried navigating to a page other than your homepage?

can you check your cookies to make sure that under your custom hostname (if any) you have a cookie named SMSESS and under smumug.com you have SMSESS, SNAPP and SHOTT, after you have logged in and navigated to another page from your homepage.

Yes, I get the icon, but it lies. :D

Yes, I have navigated to other pages, no go.

I don't have a cname, but I will try deleting my cookies. Can't hurt, eh? thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    Clearing cookies did not help.

Here's a great example. This site only has private galleries. I've logged in/out, done everything I could think of. It tells me I'm logged in, but I'm not:

dgrin_tutorial_staging__tutorials__s_photos_-_powered_by_smugmug-20071103-132547.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Clearing cookies did not help.

Here's a great example. This site only has private galleries. I've logged in/out, done everything I could think of. It tells me I'm logged in, but I'm not:

dgrin_tutorial_staging__tutorials__s_photos_-_powered_by_smugmug-20071103-132547.jpg

After you cleared cookies.

1) log in
    2) check to see if cookies are created.
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    After you cleared cookies.

1) log in
    2) check to see if cookies are created.

cookies-20071103-133543.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    cookies-20071103-133543.jpg

Looks like the necessary cookies are not being created.
    Since the icon on the bottom right is appearing, the API call is being completed sucessfully. Aside from that, cookie creation is handled when the smugmug homepage is loaded (not as a function of the toolbar).

a difficult issue. I can't see why the cookies aren't being generated.
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    Javier,

Thanks so much for your patience. Your last post got me to dig around in my cookies prefs a bit more, and I found that I was blocking cookies from api.smugmug.com, for some unknown reason. I deleted that, and it's working like a charm!

(any idea how that could get set without my knowin? ear.gif)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Javier,

Thanks so much for your patience. Your last post got me to dig around in my cookies prefs a bit more, and I found that I was blocking cookies from api.smugmug.com, for some unknown reason. I deleted that, and it's working like a charm!

(any idea how that could get set without my knowin? ear.gif)

None, but I'm very happy that this worked for you. clap.gif
    Jav

• Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    None, but I'm very happy that this worked for you. clap.gif

Yes!!!

With 4 accounts that I need to able to log into, it's a lifesaver. thumb.gif

Edit: your nav buttons on your smugmanager page include broken links (photo not found).
    Moderator Emeritus