Options

Safari Cart stays Empty ?

fotodojofotodojo Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited October 7, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Call em crazy (please do) but I don't seem to be able to order any photos on my own site using the Safari Browser. I logged out, cleared the cache & cookies, tried a different gallery. It works fine using FireFox but Safari is a no-go.

Is this a known thing ? Can it be fixed ?

http://shop.fotodojo.org (try the Guitars Gallery for example)

Comments

• Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    fotodojo wrote:
    Call em crazy (please do) but I don't seem to be able to order any photos on my own site using the Safari Browser. I logged out, cleared the cache & cookies, tried a different gallery. It works fine using FireFox but Safari is a no-go.

Is this a known thing ? Can it be fixed ?

http://shop.fotodojo.org (try the Guitars Gallery for example)

So, Safari has three cookie settings: Always, Never, and Only from sites you navigate to. I believe this is a bug, but Safari doesn't recognize SmugMug as a site you navigate to. So, you'll need to pick "always" as shown on this help page: http://smugmug.com/help/cookies . thumb.gif

Let us know if that does the trick!

-Anne
  • Options
    fotodojofotodojo Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    So, Safari has three cookie settings: Always, Never, and Only from sites you navigate to. I believe this is a bug, but Safari doesn't recognize SmugMug as a site you navigate to. So, you'll need to pick "always" as shown on this help page: http://smugmug.com/help/cookies . thumb.gif

Let us know if that does the trick!

-Anne

Hmm well that would "do the trick" as you say if I could change the default on every mac user using safari that visits the site - which of course is somewhat impossible. The issue is not "for me to buy prints" - I could use firefox - it is for my customers.

Anyway as it turns out the problem is with smugmug wanting to set the cookie from *.smugmug.com - of course since mine is a pro shop and has it's own domain (http://shop.fotodojo.org) hence the default Safari security setting doesn't work (it does work if I refer to it under the http://fotodojo.swmugmug.com domain).

Three options then - 1.) tell every Mac/Safari customer to change their settings. 2.) Some backend magic that makes the correct domain set the cookie. 3) go back to using the SmugMug domain. You can imagine which one I prefer. As you can see attached (this is a google analytics set of data) Safari makes about 15% of total clicks only but that is still a significant amount of customers when you take into account the overall volume SM gets to their (pro) sites.

You might pass this on please - not a complaint as such just a "future feature fix" =)
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    fotodojo wrote:
    Hmm well that would "do the trick" as you say if I could change the default on every mac user using safari that visits the site - which of course is somewhat impossible. The issue is not "for me to buy prints" - I could use firefox - it is for my customers.
    This is a topic that seems to come up often here. Too often, IMHO. I too have had problems with cookies and potential customers who are using Safari many times.

I've even had local customers ask me if they could simply meet me and purchase the prints in person. Just a suspicion, but that's probably not the kind of business model SM wants since it eliminates the SM slice of the pie in a print sale.

I've put a *NOTE: you must have cookies enabled* warning plus help links above all my print galleries, but I still get customers who can't figure it out. I know SM is happy to help via email -- but ANY extra obstacle between a customer and a sale is bad. Ordering a print should be as easy as entering a CC #, address, and clicking enter.

I purchase things off the internet all the time-- but again-- when there is an obstacle (and yes, changing the default settings on a browser is an obstacle-- so is setting up a password-- so are choosing crop options) sometimes I just decide it's not worth it and move on to a place or method that doesn't require that. And yeah, like I said, sometimes that means eliminating the middle man (SM) and purchasing directly from the source.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    This is a topic that seems to come up often here. Too often, IMHO. I too have had problems with cookies and potential customers who are using Safari many times.

I've even had local customers ask me if they could simply meet me and purchase the prints in person. Just a suspicion, but that's probably not the kind of business model SM wants since it eliminates the SM slice of the pie in a print sale.

I've put a *NOTE: you must have cookies enabled* warning plus help links above all my print galleries, but I still get customers who can't figure it out. I know SM is happy to help via email -- but ANY extra obstacle between a customer and a sale is bad. Ordering a print should be as easy as entering a CC #, address, and clicking enter.

I purchase things off the internet all the time-- but again-- when there is an obstacle (and yes, changing the default settings on a browser is an obstacle-- so is setting up a password-- so are choosing crop options) sometimes I just decide it's not worth it and move on to a place or method that doesn't require that. And yeah, like I said, sometimes that means eliminating the middle man (SM) and purchasing directly from the source.

We hear you. We have it on the help page, everyone on the help desk is armed and ready when a customer emails in about an empty cart... but more than that... it's on our "let's get this working properly" radar as well.

Like you, I hope it's something that will *just work* sooner rather than later.

-Anne
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    fotodojo wrote:
    You might pass this on please - not a complaint as such just a "future feature fix" =)
    It's a shame that Safari can't behave as well as even IE6 in this regard.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2006
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    We hear you. We have it on the help page, everyone on the help desk is armed and ready when a customer emails in about an empty cart... but more than that... it's on our "let's get this working properly" radar as well.

Like you, I hope it's something that will *just work* sooner rather than later.

-Anne

Thanks Anne and Andy. I know you folks are aware of this concern-- you both answer plenty of posts (and probably emails) about this! It has to be frustrating from your end of things since Firefox, Mozilla, Camino (yes Andy, Camino-- I love it-- as long as I remember to update it!), and even IE seem to work fine. I'm in Portland, Oregon and I swear there are more Mac users here per capita than anywhere else-- it's like it's a written in the city code or something. I even have to use a Mac at work -- though those new dual boot intel Macs may be my salvation someday soon :D

• Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2006
    I use Safari as my primary browser for everything, including when I code for the site. I have NEVER had to change my cookie settings, and have been able to add to the cart forever no matter what. So it must be some other problem.

I just changed how adding to the cart works for pros with custom domains, so please check again, it should work.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    I use Safari as my primary browser for everything, including when I code for the site. I have NEVER had to change my cookie settings, and have been able to add to the cart forever no matter what. So it must be some other problem.

I just changed how adding to the cart works for pros with custom domains, so please check again, it should work.

Thank you, JT. I'll check it Monday when I'm back on a Mac-- I use a PC on the weekends and evenings. Your help and attention to this is greatly appreciated! thumb.gif