Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #4

Comments

• Options
    Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    Will there be Smugmug intergration in Future Aperture?
    With Smugmug and Photoshop Elements 5 intergration, will we see Smugmug and Aperture intergration and Smugmug and iPhoto intergration (from within the app without needing to use sSmugmug uploader)?
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Mac Write wrote:
    With Smugmug and Photoshop Elements 5 intergration, will we see Smugmug and Aperture intergration and Smugmug and iPhoto intergration (from within the app without needing to use sSmugmug uploader)?
    Thanks for the feature request, Mac Write! We appreciate it very much.
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    I've got one..

For pro sales, can we see how the customer cropped the photo? This would give us great feedback on what customers are looking for, and will help us with proofing based on how they cropped the shot. thumb.gif
  • Options
    sirsloop wrote:
    I've got one..

For pro sales, can we see how the customer cropped the photo? This would give us great feedback on what customers are looking for, and will help us with proofing based on how they cropped the shot. thumb.gif
    Hi, it's something the engineers are working on thumb.gif I can't say if/when, but we want this ability, too.
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    Photo Stamps
    Browsing through a bunch of magazines at lunch today I noticed an ad for exposure manager. They have photo stamp printing now. I would like to request photo stamps as an option at Smugmug. Thanks!
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2006
    Save Photo...
    I would love to have the "save photo" option appear all the time while I'm logged in. If I'm logged in then I'm the owner "most likely". It's a pain to switch the gallery to allow originals just to save a photo... cause then I have to remember to switch it back and I'm a "man". Remembering isn't one of my features rolleyes1.gif

**Update** not only do I have to check allow originals but I have to uncheck the protect copyright for my photos :(

Cheers!
  • Options
    jwilkinsonjwilkinson Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    smugmug upload from Paint Shop Pro Album?
    I see you all added a feature for uploading from Photoshop Elements 5.

It sure would be nice if you could talk with the folk at Corel to get upload support for Paint Shop Pro Album.

I believe they currently only offer easy upload to shutterfly (boo).

thanks,
    jeff

P.S. hopefully this would be available for standard accounts, since that's what I have. ;-)
  • Options
    jwilkinsonjwilkinson Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    guest passwords, per gallery, per account & in Standard accounts
    rutt wrote:
    I'd like to be able to assign (or not) guest passwords by gallery. That way I could be sure guests didn't retitle or reorganize galleries they have no business with while giving them effectively free access to certain galleries.....
    I'd definitly vote for this.

My SM setup is for our church, and we only need a standard account, which doesn't allow guest passwords at all. Considering that I'd like to let others at our church upload to the site, or at least to particular areas, it'd be *real* nice if we could get guest passwords in standard accounts, not just pro.

... and 2 levels of guest passwords, that allow either access to the whole area or just to one gallery would be great.

IMO, this would only be a good thing for SM, since it lets us use your standard accounts for things like our church, or for family setups, without compromising our main login. Think how many people would like to let other family upload to their SM account without giving them their main login? Gotta be tons.

So, it'd be giving us an important feature, and it makes SM generally more secure. What's the downside of that?
  • Options
    savannahgasavannahga Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2006
    Would like to see volumn discounts added soon.

ex. Buy 3 or more prints get 10% off.

Thanks
  • Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    savannahga wrote:
    Would like to see volumn discounts added soon.

ex. Buy 3 or more prints get 10% off.

Thanks

I would also like to see some type of discount system.

Another request would be the ability to download the original when the admin is logged in. This comes in handy when you don't have access to your originals at home.

It would streamline the process so you don't have to go into the customize area -- turn the feature on -- go to the gallery -- download the photo -- and then go back in to turn the feature off.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    Barb wrote:
    This is awesome! clap.gifAny chance of ever figuring out a way to post on a blog?

I need a little help of other JavaScript gurus about how to create a Signed JavaScript.

If JavaScript is not signed it won't allow you to request a URL (feed-URL in this case) that crosses host-boundaries. E.g. Say your blog is myblog.someblog.com and the feed-URL is from www.smugmug.com.

someblog.com != smugmug.com --> JavaScript Security will prevent the request and issue an 'access denied' error.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    I need a little help of other JavaScript gurus about how to create a Signed JavaScript.

If JavaScript is not signed it won't allow you to request a URL (feed-URL in this case) that crosses host-boundaries. E.g. Say your blog is myblog.someblog.com and the feed-URL is from www.smugmug.com.

someblog.com != smugmug.com --> JavaScript Security will prevent the request and issue an 'access denied' error.

Give me some time, though...
    I got in a serious car-accident this morning... my car is totaled. :cry
    I seem to be fine, though.thumb.gif

Handling all the insurance stuff now...
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    Pro Pricing
    I'm in a gallery and I want to take the default portfolio pricing and add 25% onto it for this gallery only.

I can copy other gallery pricing to this gallery but there is no way for me to get the portfolio pricing onto this gallery so I can then add 25%.

Suggestion:

In the drop down list that allow me to select other gallery pricing for this gallery, add an option to select the Portfolio pricing as well.

clap.gif
  • Options
    Smug keywords for custom page titles
    I would like to see the "Page Title" option enhanced with smug keywords, something like:

SMUCATEGORY
    SMUGGALLERY
    SMUGIMAGENAME
    SMUGIMAGETITLE

So we can have easy (no javascript hacking required) customized page titles like:

My Gallery - SMUGCATEGORY - SMUGGALLERY - SMUGIMAGETITLE

which would translate to

My Gallery - Other - People - Some shots of friends

It would also nice to somehow suppress the separator "-" if one of the keyword didn't exist.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    BeachBill wrote:
    I would like to see the "Page Title" option enhanced with smug keywords, something like:

SMUCATEGORY
    SMUGGALLERY
    SMUGIMAGENAME
    SMUGIMAGETITLE

So we can have easy (no javascript hacking required) customized page titles like:

My Gallery - SMUGCATEGORY - SMUGGALLERY - SMUGIMAGETITLE

which would translate to

My Gallery - Other - People - Some shots of friends

It would also nice to somehow suppress the separator "-" if one of the keyword didn't exist.
    Hi, there is a hack for this, right here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=25861&highlight=document.title
  • Options
    Set default / force popular gallery style
    Add option to control panel to set a default gallery style for popular photos (or even sitewide). This is needed to force a style for the standard homepage "popular photos" link.
  • Options
    BeachBill wrote:
    Add option to control panel to set a default gallery style for popular photos (or even sitewide). This is needed to force a style for the standard homepage "popular photos" link.
    Hi, there is a hack already for this
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=285258#post285258
  • Options
    Andy wrote:

Yes, I know about that hack. I tried it. It doesn't work with search engines and you can see the page title changing from the default/standard title to the hacked title when going from page to page. This request is to make custom page titles native to the system so they work with search engines and look more professional.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Andy wrote:

Yeah, but as you already told me, the standard smugmug popular photos link cannot be changed to default to a specific style.

However I just figure out how to change the standard link:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=386995&postcount=84

Problem solved (even though it would be nice to have this native to avoid code bloat).
  • Options
    chnchn Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    Password confusions
    One problem I see with smugmug is that the three different passwords can cause a lot of confusion. Just for a review there is the "album owner password", the "site wide password", and "album passwords".

Scenario 1:
    I use a site wide password and hand this password out to relatives and friends. My dad, who barely can use a computer had problems accessing the site because the password I gave him didn't work. It turned out that he followed the "login" link on the top.

Scenario 2:
    To give aquaintances access to selected albums I group them using "share groups" and password protect each album with the password hint "The password is: blah". While the owner can be hidden on the albums, the owner can not be hidden in share groups. Thus the site root is listed as a link. Clicking on it asks for a password that most likely will confuse people.

The simplest fix is to make it more clear what is going on and what passwords are asked for when prompting for a password. Phrases like "this site requires a password to continue" and "to proceed, please log in below" really doesn't help someone who took a wrong turn. Better, however, would be of course an improoved access control system.
  • Options
    chn wrote:
    One problem I see with smugmug is that the three different passwords can cause a lot of confusion. Just for a review there is the "album owner password", the "site wide password", and "album passwords".

Scenario 1:
    I use a site wide password and hand this password out to relatives and friends. My dad, who barely can use a computer had problems accessing the site because the password I gave him didn't work. It turned out that he followed the "login" link on the top.

Scenario 2:
    To give aquaintances access to selected albums I group them using "share groups" and password protect each album with the password hint "The password is: blah". While the owner can be hidden on the albums, the owner can not be hidden in share groups. Thus the site root is listed as a link. Clicking on it asks for a password that most likely will confuse people.

The simplest fix is to make it more clear what is going on and what passwords are asked for when prompting for a password. Phrases like "this site requires a password to continue" and "to proceed, please log in below" really doesn't help someone who took a wrong turn. Better, however, would be of course an improoved access control system.
    Hi, thanks for posting, and the Feature Request!
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    View Original File While Logged In?
    If I set a gallery to not allow viewing of original sized images, I can't even view it at original size myself even if I'm logged in. Am I missing something or is this just the way it is? Any chance of making it so you can view the original if you're logged in...but not if you're not logged in? I.E. Owner can see originals when logged in, but others can't.
  • Options
    kygarden wrote:
    If I set a gallery to not allow viewing of original sized images, I can't even view it at original size myself even if I'm logged in. Am I missing something or is this just the way it is? Any chance of making it so you can view the original if you're logged in...but not if you're not logged in? I.E. Owner can see originals when logged in, but others can't.
    Hi, it can't be done now. Others have asked for this, too. Thanks for the feature request thumb.gif No promises on if this will be done, but thanks for telling us it's important to you :D
  • Options
    sudermattsudermatt Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    I love the image maps in flickr...
    My apologies if this has been brought up before....13 pages is alot to read through.

Fickr has a feature where you can draw a section on a picture and create a comment for that part of the picture. In this comment you can enter a link to another picture. Many people use it to create maps or guides that the user can literally click through a picture to be taken to different places..

I actually created a tool like this years ago, and was happy to see flickr actually bring it into main stream use.

Are you familiar with this feature?
    Are you planning on implimenting it?

Thanks,
    Matt
  • Options
    sudermatt wrote:
    My apologies if this has been brought up before....13 pages is alot to read through.

Fickr has a feature where you can draw a section on a picture and create a comment for that part of the picture. In this comment you can enter a link to another picture. Many people use it to create maps or guides that the user can literally click through a picture to be taken to different places..

I actually created a tool like this years ago, and was happy to see flickr actually bring it into main stream use.

Are you familiar with this feature?
    Are you planning on implimenting it?

Thanks,
    Matt
    wave.gif Hi Matt, we'll certainly take a look! Thanks for the feature reqeust, we really appreciate your input :D
  • Options
    it really is one of the ONLY things flickr has over you guys, as far as I can tell. :cry

It's a neat feature...if you want, I can give you a link to a demonstration. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    sudermatt wrote:
    it really is one of the ONLY things flickr has over you guys, as far as I can tell. :cry

It's a neat feature...if you want, I can give you a link to a demonstration. ne_nau.gif
    by all means!
  • Options
    more on keywords and privacy
    would it be possible to somehow have passwords at different levels? then allow keyword searching within the category the password has access?

Let's say by category/subcategory.

I have a category of friends.
    anybody can go into that category and view and keyword search into all pictures that aren't in password protected galleries.

If they enter the category password, there keyword searches ALSO include the pictures in galleries protected by the category password.

A sturcture like this:

Category
    password
    SubCategory
    password
    enforce Category Password (Y,N)
    Gallery
    password
    enforce SubCategory Password (Y,N)
    Picture
    password
    Enforce Gallery Password (Y,N)

BRILLIANT!
  • Options
    sudermatt wrote:
    would it be possible to somehow have passwords at different levels? then allow keyword searching within the category the password has access?

Let's say by category/subcategory.

I have a category of friends.
    anybody can go into that category and view and keyword search into all pictures that aren't in password protected galleries.

If they enter the category password, there keyword searches ALSO include the pictures in galleries protected by the category password.

A sturcture like this:

Category
    password
    SubCategory
    password
    enforce Category Password (Y,N)
    Gallery
    password
    enforce SubCategory Password (Y,N)
    Picture
    password
    Enforce Gallery Password (Y,N)

BRILLIANT!
    Thanks for the feature request!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    Login Link to Control Panel
    I've been logging in and out quite a bit lately customizing by site and not
    always on my home page or a category page. It would be really nice if the
    "your logged in" page also had a link directly to the Control Panel along with
    "the page you were viewing " link.
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog