Options

Slowwww

RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
edited September 12, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hate to complain since I love my Smugmug account, but for the last several weeks my pages seem to be loading much slower than before. I haven't seen any threads over here regarding this so is it only my site?

Site:
rohirrim.smugmug.com
or
www.stevetingphotography.com

Thanks for any help,

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    opposite here
    I've noticed a fairly dramatic increase in speed on my site since the latest maintenance/downtime. Maybe because I'm on the west coast (presumably closer to the servers?)

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Hate to complain since I love my Smugmug account, but for the last several weeks my pages seem to be loading much slower than before. I haven't seen any threads over here regarding this so is it only my site?

Site:
    rohirrim.smugmug.com
    or
    www.stevetingphotography.com

Thanks for any help,
    Hi Steve, Sorry things are slow for you ... can you do a traceroute for us, from you to www.smugmug.com?

Also, do the speedtest link here: http://speedtest.smugmug.net

And reply with results to both, it'll help us diagnose what's going on for you.

Many thanks!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    I think your site is blazing fast.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Steve, Sorry things are slow for you ... can you do a traceroute for us, from you to www.smugmug.com?

Also, do the speedtest link here: http://speedtest.smugmug.net

And reply with results to both, it'll help us diagnose what's going on for you.

Many thanks!

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>tracert www.smugmug.com

Tracing route to hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10.234.192.1
    2 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 66-214-102-5.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com [66.214.10
    2.5]
    3 6 ms 7 ms 8 ms 66-214-102-34.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com [66.214.1
    02.34]
    4 16 ms 15 ms 16 ms scrmca2wrs1-gige2-0-2-0.wcg.net [64.200.192.69]

5 16 ms 15 ms 16 ms sntcca1wcx1-pos14-1.wcg.net [64.200.240.113]
    6 16 ms 16 ms 15 ms sntcca4lcx1-pos12-0.wcg.net [64.200.149.46]
    7 16 ms 15 ms 16 ms pri.r1-ge0-2-eq-sj.smugmug.com [206.223.117.70]

8 15 ms 17 ms 18 ms hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>

Speedtest results:
    Download Speed: 2858 kbps (357.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 235 kbps (29.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Does this help?
  • Options
    WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    traceroute looks good from Nevada, and our route back looks even better:
    traceroute to 66.214.102.5 (66.214.102.5), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
     1  sjo1-r2-ge1-0.smugmug.net (63.81.134.2)  4.277 ms  4.284 ms  5.388 ms
     2  SNTCCA4LCX1-GIGE.wcg.net (206.223.117.11)  4.410 ms  2.637 ms  2.220 ms
     3  sntcca1wcx1-pos5-0.wcg.net (64.200.240.129)  5.183 ms  5.373 ms  5.814 ms
     4  scrmca2wcx1-pos9-0.wcg.net (64.200.240.114)  8.932 ms  4.775 ms  4.503 ms
     5  scrmca2wrs1-charter-gige.wcg.net (64.200.192.70)  7.584 ms  7.541 ms  7.957 ms
     6  66-214-102-33.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com (66.214.102.33)  8.452 ms *  10.148 ms

• Options
    edited September 7, 2006
    Hi Steve,

There are lots of factors at play here, so let's try to look at them.

Has anything changed with your OS, Computer, Browser, or Internet connection (ISP) lately? Let's start with that.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2006
    spyware?
    Also run a spyware check. Spyware can significantly slow down internet connections (and your computer in general).

• Options
    edited September 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Steve,

There are lots of factors at play here, so let's try to look at them.

Has anything changed with your OS, Computer, Browser, or Internet connection (ISP) lately? Let's start with that.
    Nothings changed that I'm aware of. It does seem to be an intermittant problem. It happens on both of my home PC's and at my workplace.

I may be expecting too much, but sometimes it just seems to take longer than it used to to load. For example I just tried to go to my site, the page came up quickly but it took 16 seconds for all the thumbnail images for each gallery to come up.

Am I expecting too much??? Maybe my brain was slower a few weeks ago headscratch.gif

Thanks for trying to help, and if it's just me I'm sorry to be a pest!
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2006
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Nothings changed that I'm aware of. It does seem to be an intermittant problem.
    that happens to me, too. I'm usually blazing fast from NY to SmugMug but a couple times in the past week I've had a bit of slowness.

Am I expecting too much??? Maybe my brain was slower a few weeks ago headscratch.gif

Thanks for trying to help, and if it's just me I'm sorry to be a pest!
    You are absolutely not expecting too much. We want the site to be fast for everyone. We'll continue to look into it, and try to improve!
  • Options
    used2jeepused2jeep Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 9, 2006
    I'm only a trial account now but...
    ...(nor am I complaining about speed, other than the "Processing Photo" after uploading)

but here are my results for Massachusetts:
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 347 kbps (43.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 111 kbps (13.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Tracing route to hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 68-116-167-233.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com [68.116.
    167.233]
    2 9 ms 7 ms 8 ms 10.82.0.1
    3 8 ms 9 ms 9 ms 172.20.15.73
    4 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 172.20.15.101
    5 10 ms 11 ms 10 ms 65.77.95.113
    6 17 ms 15 ms 16 ms nycmny2wcx3-pos9-0-oc48.wcg.net [64.200.249.49]

7 37 ms 37 ms 37 ms brvwil1wcx3-pos0-0-oc192.wcg.net [64.200.240.253
    ]
    8 60 ms 58 ms 60 ms dnvrco1wcx3-pos13-0-oc192.wcg.net [64.200.240.12
    1]
    9 83 ms 81 ms 82 ms sntcca1wcx2-pos14-0.wcg.net [64.200.240.182]
    10 82 ms 81 ms 82 ms sntcca4lcx1-pos9-0.wcg.net [64.200.240.126]
    11 79 ms 81 ms 83 ms pri.r1-ge0-2-eq-sj.smugmug.com [206.223.117.70]

12 94 ms 95 ms 100 ms hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]

Trace complete.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    For the record, I too think things have slowed down noticeably ever since that night (and then morning) when smugmug was down. Right now I'm waiting for about 1mb of photos to finish processing...been waiting for a couple of minutes. Ok they are starting to come in. Looking at the upload log they were in queue for about 16 minutes, and processing for about 3 seconds. I wonder what that's about?
  • Options
    PHOTOlinkPHOTOlink Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    slow go me too
    awful - seems slow since the whole move the other week.... i click to do something, like make a gallery, and i can go make coffee, and when i get back, i am still waiting...and i have a T1!
  • Options
    meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2006
    Same problem - I uploaded some photos about five or ten minutes ago and they're still not showing up in my gallery.

Lucky for me, these are just photos that I'm planning on posting for Nikolai's cropping thread. If I was a pro who was uploading photos from a shoot for a client, I'd be kind of frustrated right now!

I guess the real problem is that compared to the normal response time, this delay makes me think that there is an outage or a problem. But, how would we know about that?

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • Options
    For the record, I too think things have slowed down noticeably ever since that night (and then morning) when smugmug was down. Right now I'm waiting for about 1mb of photos to finish processing...been waiting for a couple of minutes. Ok they are starting to come in. Looking at the upload log they were in queue for about 16 minutes, and processing for about 3 seconds. I wonder what that's about?
    We're looking into it. Thanks for letting us know!
  • Options
    meewolfie wrote:
    I guess the real problem is that compared to the normal response time, this delay makes me think that there is an outage or a problem. But, how would we know about that?

Mary
    Hi Mary,

There's no outage or problem - the photos will process. Sorry for the temporary inconvenience!
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    Um, me too on tonight's processing...
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    We've been having problems keeping up with the upload queue on busy nights. It shouldn't affect the speed the site operates at, but does affect how long photos take to be processed.

We received 22 new servers late Friday afternoon and I assume some of them are for image processing, but they're not online yet. Right now we have 6300 in the queue. We received 310,000 the other night.

Sorry for the delays.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    Slowwww
    Tried to upload some files to this gallery:

http://petespringer.smugmug.com/gallery/1873266

but it froze up so I cancelled. Re-uploaded everything using the drag and drop uploader and apparently it worked. But now it's a half hour later and none of the images have shown up-- they all say "processing image". Any ideas? I need these photos accessible to a client tomorrow and have about fifty more to upload. ne_nau.gif

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    It is slower than usual for me tonight (9/9). I am waiting around as I have to do some things once my photos come down. It is not taking a few minutes................it is taking a very long time.

Smile!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    missed that thread-- thanks

Yeah-- it took nearly 45 minutes for fourteen web-res images to process for me tonight.

Anyway, sorry to start another thread-- feel free to move this into the existing thread.

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    Just an FYI, still taking a long time for my shots to process today, too...

It's been about 30 minutes since I uploaded about 6 images, still haven't seen the "processing image" icons yet.
    Chris
  • Options
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Just an FYI, still taking a long time for my shots to process today, too...

It's been about 30 minutes since I uploaded about 6 images, still haven't seen the "processing image" icons yet.
    Yeah, it's the same for everyone.

Files will process though. Sorry for the delay today, we know it sucks when you expect them right away. We're working to improve it, even for Sundays, our busiest days.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,812 moderator
    Andy wrote:

Files will process though. Sorry for the delay today, we know it sucks when you expect them right away. We're working to improve it, even for Sundays, our busiest days.

I am seeing it too, but SmugMug has some of their best folks working on it. thumb.gif

Patience is a virtue!

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Ken CCPKen CCP Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    Andy wrote:

Besides more servers... the system feedback to the customer needs to be better. There is no realy indication that the file arrived and is being worked on properly.

Even the upload log doesn't shot the new images queued up for several minutes, so I am sure the lack of comfirmation when it gets a little slow causes people to do what I did a couple times which is assume it didn't work and do it again, mulitplying the problem when what would be on post becomes 2-4 until we give up or figure it out.
  • Options
    ukaskewukaskew Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    Ken CCP wrote:
    Besides more servers... the system feedback to the customer needs to be better. There is no realy indication that the file arrived and is being worked on properly.

Indeed, that's the problem I am having. I uploaded several pictures about 30 minutes ago but when I went to the gallery it was empty, so I checked the upload log and that didn't show any recent activity. I therefore uploaded my pictures again, 10 minutes later I realise they have all been duplicated (although they are all still processing)
  • Options
    PHOTOlinkPHOTOlink Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    sunday night sloooowww again...
    real slow mounting.....
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    sigh
    Well at least now I know that this is a system wide problem. I too am getting frustrated at how long the processing of photos is taking.

I do appreciate having a place to go to, (Digitalgrin) and be able to find out the scoop.

Hope it gets fixed soon. :bluduh
  • Options
    Hi Folks,

One of our primary network backbone providers started having some major problems. This caused a cascade failure because we couldn't process the files faster than uploads were coming in, causing stalls and a backlog.

We're now back up to normal speed, but we have a huge backlog to go through.

Hang in there while we work through it. We really appreciate everyone's patience.
  • Options
    thanks for the update
    Andy wrote:
    One of our primary network backbone providers started having some major problems. This caused a cascade failure because we couldn't process the files faster than uploads were coming in, causing stalls and a backlog.

This helps-- at least we know you folks have figured out the problem and now can address the solution. Keeping us updated is greatly appreciated, Andy. Obviously, a lot of us have time to sit around right now while we wait for our uploads and other issues to clear. thumb.gif

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Folks,

We're now back up to normal speed, but we have a huge backlog to go through.

Hang in there while we work through it. We really appreciate everyone's patience.
    Bummer, here I am unable to participate in a couple online forums tonight because I can't post images in my messages. A long time ago when you didn't have enough capacity to process Sunday night traffic, I suggested that Smugmug implement an upload queing algorithm that would favor single image uploads. Then, even where there's a big backlog, people can still do more timely things like post a single image for an online posting or blog, replace a single image, etc... without waiting for the whole queue to get processed. It wouldn't slow down the multi-image uploads in a perceptible way, but it would let the more urgent single image uploads get processed right away. Just an idea.

Edit: Here's a trick that you can use to get a high priority image to show up right away when things are slow (I remembered pieces of this from the last time we had this discussion). Upload your image. You will see the "processing image..." icon after a little while in the gallery. Once you see that icon, select Replace Photo and select the same image file again from your hard disk. Replace Photo goes to the front of the queue so it will get processed right away, even when other new image uploads are taking a long time to process. I just did this and it worked like a charm. Now I can do my forum posting with an image link in it.

Never mind. Don't try this. It doesn't work. When the original upload finally gets processed, the image you replaced gets whacked, and the replace photo URL no longer works.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question