Options

Review: Huey Monitor Calibration from Pantone

Comments

• Options
    PhotoTractionPhotoTraction Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 25, 2006
    Monaco Optix XR Pro Users???
    Can anyone who is using the Optix XR Pro tell me if it comes with printed user guide?
    Adorama obveiously sent me a used unit they must have swept off the floor in the back room.
    They won't recieve and more buisness from me , that's for sure.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Can anyone who is using the Optix XR Pro tell me if it comes with printed user guide?
    Adorama obveiously sent me a used unit they must have swept off the floor in the back room.
    They won't recieve and more buisness from me , that's for sure.
    By way of comparison, my Eye one system doesn't have a user guide. The instructions are contained in a PDF on the instal CD.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    nfutchernfutcher Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 8, 2006
    Huey and Monitor Brightness
    Hi. I'm using a Huey to calibrate my dell 2405fpw. It's a TFT so there is no brightness calibration - does anyone know what I'm supposed to set the brightness and the Red/Green/Blue at? At the moment they are set to 40 and 50/50/50. Thanks
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    Any new thoughts on monitor calibration for a PC on XP?

Huey vs eye-one LT vs Spyder 2 or others.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2006
    Saw the B&H deal, couldn't resist, so I ordered my Huey. It came last week.

I'm disappointed! No dual-monitor support; so I chose my primary, and it definitely seemed to create a reddish-cast. I tried it on my laptop, went through the whole calibration sequence, and there were no apparent color differences. The process seemed to "work", it just didn't work.... I've tried a couple more iterations with no better success for either system.

I think it's back to B&H for the Huey. I could probably fiddle with it and make it work a little better, but the lack of dual-monitor support really kills it for me (definitely should have looked that up before buying).

Also, reading the fine print on the license agreement, the software is only useable on *one* system per Huey. So for each system I need to buy a $60 Huey. I guess that might be the case for all the color correctors, though.

Back to the color corrector drawing board for me.
    Chris
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Also, reading the fine print on the license agreement, the software is only useable on *one* system per Huey. So for each system I need to buy a $60 Huey.
    Meh. I use it on my Mac Pro and my Macbook Pro. That's just dumb of them.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Meh. I use it on my Mac Pro and my Macbook Pro. That's just dumb of them.

I definitely agree... Here's the clip from the license (red emphasis added by me). IANAL, of course.

1) a) iii) Multiple installation / Single Use at the time
    The Software may be used by You on one single personal computer or workstation at the time. Specifically, You may install the Software on more than one computer at Your premises or at Your home at a time, however, the use of the Software must always be connected with the use of the dongle provided by GretagMacbeth. You are not permitted to circumvent the protection given by the dongle. Furthermore, it is not allowed to use the Software or to network the Software to multiple computers or terminals without first obtaining an expanded license from GretagMacbeth to cover such additional users and computers. GretagMacbeth may replace the dongle by any other means of protection without previous announcement.
    Chris
  • Options
    CipherCipher Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    An FYI, I bought a Huey about 6 or 8 weeks ago and it did the "brownish" color thing on all my machines. I contacted Pantone and they said that they were aware of this issue and were working on a solution. After a month or so they sent me a new Huey that took care of the problem. So if you are having this problem contact Pantone.

Andy (no not that one.)
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2006
    I got a Huey for Xmas.

I love it.

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I got a Huey for Xmas.

I love it.

:D
    I believe soon they'll have a dual-monitor support, as well deal.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 26, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Will this be a software thing or a hardware thing?

Happy holidays.
  • Options
    03FatBoy03FatBoy Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    I like it.
    I just installed my Huey.

I've got to say that I like it. There was a pretty big change from the before and after.

I'm comparing the new screen to the two test prints from the smugmug calibration and I've got to say it's dead nuts on now.

I'm impressed.

It does seem to give a slightly rosy/warmer look to things. But I really think it just needs some 'gettin' used to' as the match between screen and test prints is lookin' good.

My 2 cents.
    Jamie Ward - working on my dad's website
    www.charlesawardphotography.com
    cward.smugmug.com
  • Options
    03FatBoy03FatBoy Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Do have one question for you Andy.

It's about the different "color settings" you can use with Huey (in the prefs area).

There are so many settings in there, and they all change the color/temp of things quite a bit. Seems to me, that if you choose one over the other, you are in fact changing the calibration of the screen - something you just got done doing.

Am I missing something here?
    Jamie Ward - working on my dad's website
    www.charlesawardphotography.com
    cward.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    Cipher wrote:
    An FYI, I bought a Huey about 6 or 8 weeks ago and it did the "brownish" color thing on all my machines. I contacted Pantone and they said that they were aware of this issue and were working on a solution. After a month or so they sent me a new Huey that took care of the problem. So if you are having this problem contact Pantone.

Andy (no not that one.)
    Maybe that's the problem with mine. ne_nau.gif Whatever, they lost me and I'm not going back.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    03FatBoy wrote:
    Do have one question for you Andy.

It's about the different "color settings" you can use with Huey (in the prefs area).

There are so many settings in there, and they all change the color/temp of things quite a bit. Seems to me, that if you choose one over the other, you are in fact changing the calibration of the screen - something you just got done doing.

Am I missing something here?
    Yes. Choose the one for photos and web display.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    eek7.gif

Get this, I think the jerkwad burglers stole my huey! What the heck man?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited December 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:

The oft-rumored Huey Duey?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    Bodley wrote:
    Any new thoughts on monitor calibration for a PC on XP?

Huey vs eye-one LT vs Spyder 2 or others.

The Huey had just been released last year. I wanted the dual monitor support and had heard some mixed reviews on the Huey. But I never used it, so I'll defer to the other posters. I got the Spyder2 and used it on my Sony Trintron 19" (now as old as XP) and after calibration the profile was very clsoe to what had been running after 3-4 years. On my Dell 2405 FPW, WOW!, what a difference. It is mainly a function of the backlight on LCD, but some flat panels do have gamma and other settings. Obviously no RGB guns.

The other half of the story is once calibrated, I started using ICC profiles for the various papers I used on my Canon printer. I also do proofing in PS. And what I see on the screen is what comes out! Amazing! mwink.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    The oft-rumored Huey Duey?
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    yldanyldan Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    sorry... i have to completely agree with wxwax. waste of $75 for me. everything is just BROWN. (for instance, the black and silver of this page are brown... and darker brown).

i'm on a dell laptop with an ultrabrite screen, i've heard those are harder to calibrate. maybe that's the problem? (probably similar to wazxy's sony laptop)
    wxwax wrote:
    I just re-Huey'd the CRT in overcast daylight. It still looks too warm on the default setting. It's as if the whites have a rose/yellowish blanket over them. And not enough contrast. But the whites seem too blue on any of the 'cool settings.'

From me, the Huey is getting a thumbs down, I'm afraid.

I'm going to have to learn how to use the One Eye for myself and make it work.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    I've had some questions about the Huey open for weeks both here and on ACT without any good response. Maybe I also need to call Pantone.

See:

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=477544&postcount=9
    http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=478221&postcount=15
    http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=478295&postcount=17

I'm inclined to think this is because either the Huey or the software that comes with it sucks and that some more "professional" solution would get this right. It really seems like the least one could expect that a medium neutral gray would come out neutral gray after calibration, doesn't it?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    I called Pantone and have some new information to report:
    1. There is a known manufacturing defect with many of the Hueys which have already shipped. It causes some (mostly notbook) displays to be calibrated with a cast. A phone call with this problem description will get you a replacement.
    2. The replacements are back ordered, but expected any day.
    3. Intel mac users should visit the Pantone site and download the latest version of the software, which is a universal binary and will allow one to open preferences and disable the horrible nag about recalibrating. Very important for that notebook which might be nowhere near the Huey.
    I did #3 and it still calibrated the display with the same cool cast. Now I'm waiting for the replacement. I'll post when I have a chance to try it out.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    I called Pantone and have some new information to report:
    1. There is a known manufacturing defect with many of the Hueys which have already shipped. It causes some (mostly notbook) displays to be calibrated with a cast. A phone call with this problem description will get you a replacement.
    2. The replacements are back ordered, but expected any day.
    3. Intel mac users should visit the Pantone site and download the latest version of the software, which is a universal binary and will allow one to open preferences and disable the horrible nag about recalibrating. Very important for that notebook which might be nowhere near the Huey.
    I did #3 and it still calibrated the display with the same cool cast. Now I'm waiting for the replacement. I'll post when I have a chance to try it out.
    Excellent info! Thanks Rutt.
    Sid.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    hey Sid-

Been following the threads on color calibration devices and you seem to be the only one with a Vaio, too. It seems the hueys do well w/ macs, not so well with PC LCDs and/or laptops? Have you settled finally on the Eye One, or anything else?

I have a Sony Vaio laptop (eco brite) and a HP desktop w/LCD monitor, which is terribly green and contrasty.

I don't understand color calibration exactly, but does the EZPrints ICC have a comparable monitor profile? That's probably an ignorant statement (i don't know what I don't know) but seems logical to this technophobe. I tried to install the printer profile as a monitor profile and I could feel the HP laughing at me.

any recs?

lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    I can't speak for laptop LCDs, but I have a PC running XP with a Viewsonic VA1912wb LCD and the Huey works for me. I haven't had the color cast problem luckily.

And referring to previous posts, it seems the re-calibrate nag screen is showing up every 3 weeks or so - not too bad. Since it calibrates so quickly, I don't mind doing it often.

YMMV...
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    According to Pantone Customer Service, it's kind of unpredictable which displays will miscalibrate with the defective Hueys. And the issue is hardware not software. So I'll repeat. Don't buy one right now. Or buy directly from Pantone if you must buy.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    hey Sid-

Been following the threads on color calibration devices and you seem to be the only one with a Vaio, too. It seems the hueys do well w/ macs, not so well with PC LCDs and/or laptops? Have you settled finally on the Eye One, or anything else?

I have a Sony Vaio laptop (eco brite) and a HP desktop w/LCD monitor, which is terribly green and contrasty.

I don't understand color calibration exactly, but does the EZPrints ICC have a comparable monitor profile? That's probably an ignorant statement (i don't know what I don't know) but seems logical to this technophobe. I tried to install the printer profile as a monitor profile and I could feel the HP laughing at me.

any recs?

lynne

I can't help you with the ICC stuff, only IPCC. (Climate joke, there!)

I'm very satisfied with the Eye One on my 21" CRT display. I haven't used it on the Vaio.

Having read Rutt's post, I plan to eventually send my Huey back for an exchange. I respect Andy, Baldy et al too much to think they're nuts for trusting their Hueys. I assume (until proven wrong naughty.gif) that I simply have one of the bad copies.
    Sid.
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Huey Pantone
    www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=13047&A=details&Q=&sku=477676&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Is this the correct Huey for my MacBook - Intel duo ?
    After reading the Huey Pantone thread, Ive have decided to calibrate.
    Thank you
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=13047&A=details&Q=&sku=477676&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Thank you
    nod.gif
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Pamela wrote:

Thank you
    That one's black.

The green ones work better on Macs.
    Sid.