Options

recommend a teen friendly caribbean vacation destination, please

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited July 31, 2006 in The Big Picture
3 teens - 16, 14, 12

all inclusive

beach & pool, sun, sand and bottomless drinks and food.

activities for them

relaxation for us

tell me where you would go.......

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Hmmm...not exactly sure what's teen friendly. I'm partial to Anguila, but I guess it's not really teen friendly. Last time I was there (admitedly years ago), I found it to be quiet, clean (streets, beach, and crystal clear water...calm waves too), and safe (didn't even lock the doors at Cap Juluca). I guess it's not really a teen's dream, but it sure is relaxing.
    BTW, there isn't really one I didn't like (I've been to a lot of them), but I would stay away from Jamaica and some of the lesser known ones like Grenada or St. Vincent. Anguila, Antigua, Aruba, Bermunda, Barbados, and Puerto Rico were all good (with PR be careful, some of the hotels have beaches that are too rocky to use safely most of the time, so be sure to ask the agent).
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Beaches, Turks & Caicos, BWI. All inclusive, never pay anohter thing. Hotel Rooms. Or you can go next door, to the Royal West Indies, or the Ocean Club, and rent a condo with 3BR, Kitchen, 2baths, living room, cable tv, etc etc. We had a blast, 6 of us. You can see some shots from beginning to end here :) We all survived!

2531508-L.jpg

2531506-L.jpg

2531533-L.jpg

2531916-L.jpg

2531988-L.jpg

2531917-L.jpg

2532002-L.jpg

2532133-L.jpg

2532007-L.jpg

2532143-L.jpg

2532148-L.jpg

2532258-L.jpg

2532262-L.jpg

2532244-L.jpg

PS: Too hot for Kelso, who's gonna watch him?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 31, 2006
    I'll 2nd the "Beaches" vote. We've been to "Sandals" which is owned and operated by the same company and had great worry free trips that are easy to plan. Great last minute get away. I can only imagine the family version is just as good.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    truth wrote:
    I'll 2nd the "Beaches" vote. We've been to "Sandals" which is owned and operated by the same company and had great worry free trips that are easy to plan. Great last minute get away. I can only imagine the family version is just as good.

Hmmm, granted this was many many years ago, but when my dad owned his own travel agency, a person once walked in VERY angry because of how bad Sandals had been (he hadn't even booked if for her, she had just picked up a brochure at his office...people are strange). He considered Beaches to be better on the whole, but I think it says something that we never ever used on of those all inclusive things. I had missed the all inclusive thing earlier. Each one is run differently. Honestly, your best bet is to go through a travel agent, and not one of those ones who works for a big national chain (American Express). See if you can find a good stand alone (or local chain) one. Most of them went bankrupt years ago, but a few are still out there, and they tend to know how good each particular program is.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 31, 2006
    Sandals is not the "vacation of a lifetime" but for a no brainer quick get away it works. I was actually quite impressed with the operation as I ahd expected it to have far more flaws than we found. I'd go back again without hesitation. I booked through the website and got a screaming deal with a free set of luggage to boot. :D
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Hi all
    Andy - I looked into beaches - WOW, what great features.....it is fully booked!

I did a quick survey of my kids yesterday, just to see if we were all on the same page wrt 'ideal'. and we are. so - caribbean and all inclusive. We've done both condos and all inclusive, and I love the freedom that the kids can have at an all inclusive, plus the freedom from cooking, worrying about mess etc.

But the problem for us is we are a family of 5 and finding rooms spacious enough or resorts with adjoining rooms is difficult. And we are in Edmonton so it is not always easy to find flights. As well, we haven't travelled for almost three years, so our needs are quite different now in terms of entertainment......food, beach, other teens - no longer need the 'kid club' stuff.

In any case, beaches is sold out for Christmas, and quite a bit out of our price range this year. So I am open to other suggestions. It will go on my list of places, though - looks great.

cheers

ann
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    Ann McRae wrote:
    In any case, beaches is sold out for Christmas, and quite a bit out of our price range this year. So I am open to other suggestions. It will go on my list of places, though - looks great.

Here's a tip, be sure to name EVERY membership you have and ask if there is a discount for that membership. I don't know about all inclusive, but sometimes the AAA rate can even beat the rate that they give travel agents to test the hotel (i.e. to recommend the hotel to their customers) (even at 5 star hotels where you wouldn't typically think there is a AAA rate). They won't tell you unless you ask, but if you ask you might be pleasently surprised.