Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #5

Comments

• Options
    bluemeaniebluemeanie Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 4, 2006
    Edit Geography Bulk
    I posted to the Edit Geography Bulk? thread but got no response so I figured I repost here. This feature was said to be coming sometime last year but yet to make it. Is there any chance that it will be completed in the near future? If not is there any chance that functionality will be added to API so that end users can script it?
  • Options
    SargeSarge Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Most Needed New Features -
    Most Needed Features IMO

1. Category and Subcategory Level Password Protection
    2. Package pricing/volume discounts (for one or multiple photos)
    3. Digital Download Fees
    4. Custom Watermarking
    Sarge
    SargentSchutt.com
    - MacBook Pro Retina, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC, etc
    - Nikon D3, D800 (work)
    - Sony NEX-5t (walkaround)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    bluemeanie wrote:
    I posted to the Edit Geography Bulk? thread but got no response so I figured I repost here. This feature was said to be coming sometime last year but yet to make it. Is there any chance that it will be completed in the near future? If not is there any chance that functionality will be added to API so that end users can script it?
    Thanks Blue, we've got it - the request - we don't comment on when, but JT's gonna be revamping the tools soon so we hope this can be included!
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2006
    Sarge wrote:
    Most Needed Features IMO

3. Digital Download Fees
    4. Custom Watermarking
    Thanks Sarge!
  • Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Sarge wrote:
    Most Needed Features IMO

3. Digital Download Fees
    4. Custom Watermarking

Nice job Sarge, I agree on them all. I wouldnt use #1, but I can see how it would be useful
  • Options
    TXDrifterTXDrifter Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Returning to page question
    Is it possible to set some kind of default, so that when you take an action such as deleting a picture or moving a picture you return to the same page that picture was deleted or moved from? It does get annoying if you have a gallery of several pages and you delete one picture to be returned to some random page. Instead of where you are working.

Thanks,
    Phil

http://philhouse.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2006
    TXDrifter wrote:
    Is it possible to set some kind of default, so that when you take an action such as deleting a picture or moving a picture you return to the same page that picture was deleted or moved from? It does get annoying if you have a gallery of several pages and you delete one picture to be returned to some random page. Instead of where you are working.

Thanks,
    Phil

http://philhouse.smugmug.com/
    Thx Phil
  • Options
    jarlejarle Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 10, 2006
    Requests (improved search features)
    A few suggestions/requests from a new user:

1) I'd like to be able to see my original file names *everywhere*. This includes both the preview of photos which includes a caption, and the small thumbnail images.

2) The search option is almost useless for my purposes. It cannot search for generic filenames (like DCS_3215.jpg), and it doesn't seem to work for password-protected and/or private galleries (I may be wrong here, please advise).

3) There should be a global search setting:

- Only find my own photos
    - Include other user's photos

Personally, I have no interest in other people's photos. None. I only want to search and find my own images.

4) There should probably also be a global option "Never include my photos in other user's search results", regardless of other gallery settings (i.e. private, password-protected).

In general, I'm very happy with SmugMug, but I find the search feature practically useless.

Thanks for listening.

Jarle
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2006
    jarle wrote:
    A few suggestions/requests from a new user:

1) I'd like to be able to see my original file names *everywhere*. This includes both the preview of photos which includes a caption, and the small thumbnail images.

2) The search option is almost useless for my purposes. It cannot search for generic filenames (like DCS_3215.jpg), and it doesn't seem to work for password-protected and/or private galleries (I may be wrong here, please advise).

3) There should be a global search setting:

- Only find my own photos
    - Include other user's photos

Personally, I have no interest in other people's photos. None. I only want to search and find my own images.

4) There should probably also be a global option "Never include my photos in other user's search results", regardless of other gallery settings (i.e. private, password-protected).

In general, I'm very happy with SmugMug, but I find the search feature practically useless.

Thanks for listening.

Jarle

Thanks Jarle, for the feature request. I'll be moving it to the feature requests thread.
  • Options
    beeplovebeeplove Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Back printing
    I just noticed a long thread on back printing that was discussed more than a year ago. Is it still in ToDo list?
    Things I want from smugmug:
    1. Remove smugmug branding from pro's website.
    2. Link one picture to different albums (don't like to upload the same picture in different album)
    3. Link one album to different categories (not sharegroup)

http://photography.beeplove.com
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2006
    beeplove wrote:
    I just noticed a long thread on back printing that was discussed more than a year ago. Is it still in ToDo list?
    YEs, it is. Thanks for telling us that you want it!

Moving to the features request thread.
  • Options
    asinghzasinghz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2006
    Feature request- be more community oriented
    I have been using smugmug for a year now and I love it !!! its awesome.

One thing that will make this even more better is, if we had a way to involve all of smugmug members as a community....e.g. what flickr does. in flickr, as soon as i post a picture, and post them in various groups, i get so many hits....so many people comment on them....so many people mark me and pictures as fav and they keep coming back........... looks like this sense of community is missing or not that active in smugmug.

do you think this is a good idea...and if yes, how do we make this happen in smugmug? thanks
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    asinghz wrote:
    I have been using smugmug for a year now and I love it !!! its awesome.

One thing that will make this even more better is, if we had a way to involve all of smugmug members as a community....e.g. what flickr does. in flickr, as soon as i post a picture, and post them in various groups, i get so many hits....so many people comment on them....so many people mark me and pictures as fav and they keep coming back........... looks like this sense of community is missing or not that active in smugmug.

do you think this is a good idea...and if yes, how do we make this happen in smugmug? thanks
    We already have tons of communities, http://www.smugmug.com/community/ find the ones you like, and join them :D you can select entire galleries to be part of the community thumb.gif
  • Options
    asinghzasinghz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    We already have tons of communities, http://www.smugmug.com/community/ find the ones you like, and join them :D you can select entire galleries to be part of the community thumb.gif

thats true...but there are some limitations...e.g. i cannot associate my gallery to more than one community......i cannot associate my pictures to communities (only galleries)............once i goto a community web page, its not easy to find the latest pictures addedd.........so i think all these contribute to SM not having as vibrant community interaction as flickr
  • Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Feature Request
    OK, here's what I'm thinkin ---

I would like anyone visiting my site to see the "comments" page which, as of right now, is only available to me when I'm logged in. The link to that page is this:

http://thepupil.smugmug.com/homepage/comments.mg

but like I said - only I can see it.

This is often a page that I would like accessible to me when visiting other people's galleries. Often, all I want to do is look at comments, but then I 've got to hunt down the right gallery and hopefully find the right picture.

Hope that's clear.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    OK, here's what I'm thinkin ---

I would like anyone visiting my site to see the "comments" page which, as of right now, is only available to me when I'm logged in. The link to that page is this:

http://thepupil.smugmug.com/homepage/comments.mg

but like I said - only I can see it.

This is often a page that I would like accessible to me when visiting other people's galleries. Often, all I want to do is look at comments, but then I 've got to hunt down the right gallery and hopefully find the right picture.

Hope that's clear.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Thanks Ryan for the feature request.
  • Options
    brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Suggestions from a new user
    I'm still in my 7 day trial period, and I think I'll end up staying, but here's a few things that I'd suggest from my initial impressions, from a non-pro point of view:

1) Allow keywords for password protected and private galleries. Make it a gallery-level option if you don't want to expose keywords from certain galleries. The majority of my photos I don't want exposed to the world (only my "best ones", but not enabling keywords for those types of galleries just kills trying to find things. Does searching private/password protected galleries look at keywords?

2) Allow security down to the individual photo level. Say I have 100 photos from a shoot, and 25 of them are good enough I want to show to the world, but I still want to keep the other 75. Currently, I'd have a gallery with all 100 images in it that's private/password protected, and then have to do the make 2nd copy and move the 25 I want to another gallery. This just seem really awkward/unintuitive, then I have the same images in mulitple places. Maybe add support for virtual galleries or collections as some apps call it would be the answer. I can see how in some instances how it currently is set up would be preferrable, though I can see using a virtual gallery much more often.

2b) I've seem some other posts mention combining the Make 2nd Copy and Move Photos into one command, I second that, especially if thats the only way to existing photos into other galleries.

2c) Make 2nd Copy (Bulk). Add Bulk option for (2b) as well.

3) Display both raw and "massaged" EXIF data . Straight out of the camera, my EXIF info is nice and neat, i.e. exposure time 1/60, etc. The app I use for cataloging and adding IPTC keywords, however, modifies the EXIF so that 1/60 becomes 16667/1000000, and other EXIF data is equally as ugly. Many desktop apps show the nice version as well as the raw data.

4) Batch adding latitude/longitude/altitude to images for the maps feature. This is probably in the works, since just about everything else you have for a single photo can be done batch as well.

5) Maybe this already exists, but how about a "Favorites" ability where if I'm a SM member and I'm browsing someone else's galleries, I can add individual photos (or even the entire gallery) to a list of my favorites (a la deviantart), then allow me to display on my SM home page "My Favorites".

6) Its been mentioned a bunch already, but the option to rotate photos based of EXIF rotate field would be MUCH appreciated (the option to have photos auto-rotated upoload as well since this is a wishlist...)

I'm sure I'll think of some more thinks, but that's all I've got for now.

Brian
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Please move "gallery" tools to "Gallery tools" dropdown
    Please copy the following tools from the "Photo tools" drop down to the "Gallery tools" drop down since these tools relate to the entire gallery, not a single pic.

Rotate photos
    Color Effects (Bulk)
    Remove Featured Photo
    Edit Captions/Keywords (Bulk)
    Sort Gallery
    Drag and Drop Photos
    Arrange Photos
    Arrange Photos (Expert)
    Move Photos
    Move Photos (Expert)
    Delete Photos (Bulk)

since I use Journal style almost exclusively, there are several tools I consider "Gallery" tools, that are only accessible from the "Photo tools" drop down. For Example, I want to bulk keyword my gallery, I select the gallery, pictures display in Journal view. I have to pick any random picture to get the single picture display mode, where the "Photo tools" drop down is. Finally I can select the tool I need.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Copy feature
    I love the Move feature however when I want to copy a photo to different gallery (which I do a lot) I have to make a 2nd copy of it then move it. I'd LOVE to have a copy screen simular to the move screen that will let me select the photo(s) and the "copy-to" gallery. Simple enough?

Thanks for everything
    Scott
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2006
    kc7dji wrote:
    I love the Move feature however when I want to copy a photo to different gallery (which I do a lot) I have to make a 2nd copy of it then move it. I'd LOVE to have a copy screen simular to the move screen that will let me select the photo(s) and the "copy-to" gallery. Simple enough?

Thanks for everything
    Scott
    So, we give unlimited storage and you want us to also make it s00per easy for you to make more copies naughty.gif

Thanks for the request Scott
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    New gallery from keyword results using "select this photo".
    Here's a feature I would iloveyou.gif to have (it may be a variation of the "virtual" gallery discussion...I'm not sure, but it seems to me to be different). Or perhaps the capability already exists, and I just haven't discovered it yet?

In plain English:
    Let's say I'd like to quickly gather together about 100 pictures of "Mom" and make a gallery/slideshow from them.
    1. I perform a keyword search across all my galleries looking for pictures keyworded "Mom" and find 35O pictures spread across 50 or so galleries.
    2. Some of the pictures of "Mom" are great, some just OK, some not-so-great, and some my Mom would like to shoot me for posting on Smugmug in the first place.
    3. I'd like to SELECT my 100 pictures with a mouse click on the thumbnails from the 350 found by the "Mom" keyword search and copy/move them to a newly-created gallery titled "The Best of Mom", as an example.
    4. From this point on, it's just another gallery.

There are those times in life (like when a son or daughter turns 21; or when a loved one passes on; or when a family friend retires) where a feature like the one I've described above would be very beneficial to have.

Thanks, Papajay
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2006
    papajay wrote:
    Here's a feature I would iloveyou.gif to have (it may be a variation of the "virtual" gallery discussion...I'm not sure, but it seems to me to be different).

In plain English:
    Let's say I'd like to quickly gather together about 100 pictures of "Mom" and make a gallery/slideshow from them.
    1. I perform a keyword search across all my galleries looking for pictures keyworded "Mom" and find 35O pictures spread across 50 or so galleries.
    2. Some of the pictures of "Mom" are great, some just OK, some not-so-great, and some my Mom would like to shoot me for posting on Smugmug in the first place.
    3. I'd like to SELECT my 100 pictures with a mouse click on the thumbnails from the 350 found by the "Mom" keyword search and copy/move them to a newly-created gallery titled "The Best of Mom", as an example.

There are those times in life (like when a loved one passes on, for example....or when a family friend retires) where a feature like the one I've described above would be very beneficial to have.

Thanks, Papajay
    Thanks for the feature request, Papajay
  • Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Have Slideshow start with current photo
    Currently, running a slideshow in a gallery starts from the beginning no matter which photo you're currently viewing. I think it'd be better to start from the current photo. I have several galleries with lots of pictures that get updated every week or so. I usually email my friends/family with a link to the first new photo in that gallery. If someone wants to watch a slideshow, it'd be better to start from that photo than have to see all of the older photos.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    scwalter wrote:
    Currently, running a slideshow in a gallery starts from the beginning no matter which photo you're currently viewing. I think it'd be better to start from the current photo. I have several galleries with lots of pictures that get updated every week or so. I usually email my friends/family with a link to the first new photo in that gallery. If someone wants to watch a slideshow, it'd be better to start from that photo than have to see all of the older photos.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Hi Scott,

Or you can change the gallery sort to be by most recently uploaded or by most recently shot. And then, you can have that now :D

Thanks for the request.
  • Options
    zerobuttonszerobuttons Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Please put your feature requests in this thread. .......
    Explicit indication of sizes in both inches and centimeters when print buyers choose print sizes.

I have discussed this with you in another thread, but I gather this is the thread where you collect FRs.

Best regards,
    David List
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    Not sure if I'm reading this right Andy, I wasn't downing anything or anyone or at least I wasn't trying too. Hope you didn't take it that way. Keep up the great work.

Scott
    3rd Planet Photography
    Andy wrote:
    So, we give unlimited storage and you want us to also make it s00per easy for you to make more copies naughty.gif

Thanks for the request Scott
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2006
    kc7dji wrote:
    Not sure if I'm reading this right Andy, I wasn't downing anything or anyone or at least I wasn't trying too. Hope you didn't take it that way. Keep up the great work.

Scott
    3rd Planet Photography
    Naw lol3.gif not at all, Scott! I was trying to be cute in my reply. If you read between the lines of my post, it goes something like this: not likely to happen in the near term.

But we thank you for asking !
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    papajay wrote:
    Here's a feature I would iloveyou.gif to have (it may be a variation of the "virtual" gallery discussion...I'm not sure, but it seems to me to be different). Or perhaps the capability already exists, and I just haven't discovered it yet?

In plain English:

There are those times in life (like when a son or daughter turns 21; or when a loved one passes on; or when a family friend retires) where a feature like the one I've described above would be very beneficial to have.

Thanks, Papajay

This capability would be appreciated by a lot of folks, I imagine. Finding and retrieving this kind of info from small galleries is a pain, but when your galleries continue to grow and expand and you need to search and sort into other galleries, this could be a lifesaver. I imagine it would be especially handy for Pros who shoot and sell large quantities of images. Being able to find all of your "Bride tossing the boquet" shots, for instance, to use in marketing might be a huge time-saver. I'm sure there are lots of instances it could prove useful. mwink.gif
  • Options
    dominikdominik Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    I'd kill for 'hide photo' feature like Picasa has; so that I can keep a photo stored online within context but make it invisible until I make it visible again. An example: hiding less than great photos from a vacation album for public display without having to move them out of the album and thus lose their place in the album.

This is sort of in-vein with the entire 'virtual albums' discussions that have also been presented in this thread.

Also, it'd be great if I could have some way of allowing guests to keyword/caption photos (while not allowing them to upload). For example, I'm putting up about 5,000 photos from a three week summer program of 35 people (I gathered photos from everyone and will upload them to my smugmug site, making sure to tell them about how great smugmug is in the process :P).

Unfortunately right now I have to give them 'guest' password (which enables them to do all sorts of other things to the photos aside from caption/keyword). It'd be really awesome if we could have some of 'permissions' system so that we could configure the ability of various login passwords.

I realize some of these ideas are geared towards community photo websites rather than just a single photographer selling photos, but I think it'd be great for Smugmug to increase its appeal.

Thanks!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    dominik wrote:
    Unfortunately right now I have to give them 'guest' password (which enables them to do all sorts of other things to the photos aside from caption/keyword). It'd be really awesome if we could have some of 'permissions' system so that we could configure the ability of various login passwords.
    Just give them a gift account and add them as your friend/family. The gallery customizations already have 'friends edit' and 'family edit' options. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
This discussion has been closed.