Driving up the Pacific Coast

erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
edited January 25, 2009 in Journeys
...and back.

Great idea for a forum. Last year I posted pictures from my summer vacation. We took a drive up Pacific Coast Highway from Southern California to Seattle, WA. It was great.

Here's a link for the pictures I took on the way up: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=17101&page=1&pp=10

Here's the famous view of the Seattle cityscape:

37127524-L.jpg

On the way back we drove down through Portland and Mulholland Falls:

37314326-L.jpg

Then we drove through Hood River and enjoyed some of the wineries and fruit stands while checking out the view of Mt. Hood:

37310437-L.jpg

We drove down through Eastern Oregon and eventually made it to Crater Lake National Park. What an aweseome place. It's got an "out-of-this-world" quality:

40753410-O.jpg

We then went through the Shasta region. Mt. Shasta is quite a sight:

45183974-L.jpg

Our final stop before we went home was Sacramento. Here's a shot of the capitol building:

50144207-L.jpg

If you're interested, you can check out my Summer 2005 vacation galleries at http://hbphoto.smugmug.com/Vacation/104610.

Cheers,

Erich

Comments

• PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Absolutely stunning waterfall image Erich! Driving up the PCH is an all-time favorite thing for me too.

Bravo on the whole set clap.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited July 8, 2006
    Nice shot of Crater Lake. Were you able to drive around the lake? That's
    easily one of the prettiest places I've been to.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    This is such a great idea for a forum!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Erich, I had never seen your vacation thread before (haven't been a member that long!) and I sure am glad you linked it. First of all, beautiful....no...drop-dead gorgeous photography!!! Fantastic job! I've driven up our California coast many, many times and it is so nice to see it captured as beautiful as it truly is. My brother and his family have just purchased property in Seattle and will be moving there eventually. Like you, I live in Orange County. Now I know exactly how many hours and how many miles the trip is!!! :uhoh I may have to cheat and fly part way!!! Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    erich6 wrote:

50144207-Th.jpg

Lovely set, nice Journey!

Who died, I wonder?
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    Absolutely stunning waterfall image Erich! Driving up the PCH is an all-time favorite thing for me too.

Bravo on the whole set clap.gif

Thanks Pez. Those falls are very photogenic. Beautiful place.

PCH is one of the grandest drives there are. I'm always awed by the vistas and the richness of the West Coast.

Erich
    edited July 8, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Nice shot of Crater Lake. Were you able to drive around the lake? That's
    easily one of the prettiest places I've been to.

Ian

Yup. All 33 miles of it. I was completely overwhelmed by the place. Much more than I expected. I recommend it to everyone to make the time and visit at some point.

The shot I posted here is a composite of several images I stitched together for a panoramic view. I wonder what it would like like through a fisheye....

Erich
    edited July 8, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    This is such a great idea for a forum!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Erich, I had never seen your vacation thread before (haven't been a member that long!) and I sure am glad you linked it. First of all, beautiful....no...drop-dead gorgeous photography!!! Fantastic job! I've driven up our California coast many, many times and it is so nice to see it captured as beautiful as it truly is. My brother and his family have just purchased property in Seattle and will be moving there eventually. Like you, I live in Orange County. Now I know exactly how many hours and how many miles the trip is!!! :uhoh I may have to cheat and fly part way!!! Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif

Thanks Saurora! Don't cheat. Take the time and do the drive. You'll love it. There's so much to see! I think two weeks is about the right time. You'll get the chance to really *SEE* and you'll come back with beautiful memories and images.

I've learned a lot about photography in just the last year and I'm still learning a lot. I plan to do this again in the future and see what I can get.

Erich
    edited July 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Lovely set, nice Journey!

Who died, I wonder?

Thanks Andy!

Good eye on the flag...I don't remember who it was done for. I guess I need to do a better job taking field notes. mwink.gif

Erich
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    I absolutely love the west coast! it's a wonderful place...and these pictures captured it in all it's glory!
    I want to go back soon...I've been to oregon and Vancouver, and that's where my sister and brother-in-law went for their honeymoon, and my dad went to Portland for some business meetings...I wish some of them woulda come back with some wonderful pictures like those! now that I'm interested in photography, I need to go back! It's nothing like what we have in Louisiana...

thanks for sharing these!

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
    edited July 10, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    I absolutely love the west coast! it's a wonderful place...and these pictures captured it in all it's glory!
    I want to go back soon...I've been to oregon and Vancouver, and that's where my sister and brother-in-law went for their honeymoon, and my dad went to Portland for some business meetings...I wish some of them woulda come back with some wonderful pictures like those! now that I'm interested in photography, I need to go back! It's nothing like what we have in Louisiana...

thanks for sharing these!

- Ross

Thanks for the kind words Ross. I do hope you get to visit the west coast soon and look forward to seeing your version of the West! thumb.gif

Erich
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    erich6 wrote:
    On the way back we drove down through Portland and Mulholland Falls:

37314326-L.jpg

Wow, you must have followed the bread crumbs we left behind from our vacation in the summer of 2003 as we headed south from Portland back to Orange County! ;)

Nice pics!

One small correction though, this is Multnomah Falls not Mulholland Falls.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited July 11, 2006
    BeachBill wrote:
    Wow, you must have followed the bread crumbs we left behind from our vacation in the summer of 2003 as we headed south from Portland back to Orange County! ;)

Nice pics!

One small correction though, this is Multnomah Falls not Mulholland Falls.

11doh.gif You're right of course. Thanks for the correction!
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Fantastic captures
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2006
    eek7.gif
    What the ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    edited July 17, 2006
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 17, 2006
    wow :0
    clap.gifclap.gif great trip .. i went to crater lake when i was a little pup.. i was floored it's was july and i had a snowball fight with my dad ... great time .. thanks for the pic ...and rekendling the memory..:D
    edited July 21, 2006
    clap.gifclap.gif great trip .. i went to crater lake when i was a little pup.. i was floored it's was july and i had a snowball fight with my dad ... great time .. thanks for the pic ...and rekendling the memory..:D

You're welcome! Thanks for the comment!

Erich
  • Fusion_UKFusion_UK Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Stunning
    Absolutely stunning images. Thanks for sharing. Ian thumb.gif
    Ian :photo
    ALL COMMENTS / CRITS GRATEFULLY RECEIVED
    http://www.pbase.com/kissfoto
    http://fusion.zenfolio.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/imiller/

Use Canon EOS 1Ds Mk1,10D, Nikon D100, plus Nikon F and F2. Sigma 10-20EX DG HSM, Sigma 15-30 EX DG, Sigma 75-300 APO DG...:barb
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Erich,

These are some beautiful shots!!