Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

Comments

• Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Thanks Andy!
    info is on it's way....
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    pjb923pjb923 Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Problem using Opera 9
    Using the latest version of Opera 9, I am having trouble on the Customize Gallery page. As you can see from the screenshot, the buttons appear as small lines. I am still able to click on them, but obviously can't read the text.
    78290680-M.jpg

As far as I can remember, this used to work fine.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    pjb923 wrote:
    Using the latest version of Opera 9, I am having trouble on the Customize Gallery page. As you can see from the screenshot, the buttons appear as small lines. I am still able to click on them, but obviously can't read the text.
    78290680-M.jpg

As far as I can remember, this used to work fine.
    Not a bug. The officially supported browsers by SmugMug are: Firefox (Mac and Win), IE6, and Safari.

Opera 9 has some differences to it over previous versions. We do not yet support it officially.

Thanks
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Hey Andy...
    how did you make out ne_nau.gif

I just got home, so I haven't had a chance to test anything out yet. I did solve my 'other' issue (dreaded red X syndrome...).

Thanks,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:
    how did you make out ne_nau.gif

I just got home, so I haven't had a chance to test anything out yet. I did solve my 'other' issue (dreaded red X syndrome...).

Thanks,

Mongrel
    I've already answerd this email from the help desk, check your email.
    No response here necessary.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    save and cancel buttons get hidden due to ajaxy goodness in IE6 only...

For reference go to this gallery while logged in (I'm assuming that SM has that power): http://mikelane2.smugmug.com/Street%20Scenes

Click the word "edit" next to San Francisco. Do not close that out and then click on the words "add description." Notice that the add description block and the p.updated block get pushed down and cut off or disappear completely. The fix for firefox was easy enough with CSS. Just use height:auto for the .albumLarge box (haven't checked .miniBox). IE6 doesn't understand height:auto and the usual trick of letting IE6 seem to work because of the expanding box bug doesn't fix it either.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    save and cancel buttons get hidden due to ajaxy goodness in IE6 only...

For reference go to this gallery while logged in (I'm assuming that SM has that power): http://mikelane2.smugmug.com/Street%20Scenes

Click the word "edit" next to San Francisco. Do not close that out and then click on the words "add description." Notice that the add description block and the p.updated block get pushed down and cut off or disappear completely. The fix for firefox was easy enough with CSS. Just use height:auto for the .albumLarge box (haven't checked .miniBox). IE6 doesn't understand height:auto and the usual trick of letting IE6 seem to work because of the expanding box bug doesn't fix it either.
    Thanks. JT will review it!
  • Options
    chandichandi Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    The case of the missing pic
    So sorry to be double posting - I've opened a new thread for this, but then I saw this sticky. I've tried to see if I can delete that thread, but seems like I can only edit but not delete. Please feel free to delete that thread or delete this post whichever seems more unnecessary.

And now for the problem:
    One of my pictures in the gallery went missing, and it's not my doing. That pic and its corresponding comments still show up in the 'most popular photos' category on my smugmug homepage, but it's missing from the original gallery itself.

Here's the pic I'm talking about:
    http://chandi.smugmug.com/popular/1/77013513/Medium

If you click on the gallery link in: "see photo in gallery", you'll be taken to the correct gallery, but the pic's missing.

My account type is 'pro'.

Haven't noticed any other pics missing yet, but will start looking. Do let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2006
    Yupp - organizing it by Filenames sure fixed it. Thanks Andy.

One of the many things I love about Smugmug is the fast response. Greatly appreciate it thumb.gif
  • Options
    jpbealjpbeal Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 2, 2006
    < html code translation in gallery captions
    you can use < and > to get < and > to display in gallery captions, and they work fine the first time through. but when you edit the caption, the html equivalent is translated (to < and >). upon saving the caption, it has html errors due to mismatched < and >, and the caption doesn't display.

as a result, during subsequent edits you must go back and delete the inappropriate characters and replace them with the html code. very frustrating.

for example, when you enter
    < some text
    it properly displays as
    < some text
    with < as the anchor to the specified link. when you edit the caption, you get
    <</a> some text
    and upon saving, nothing gets displayed.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2006
    jpbeal wrote:
    you can use < and > to get < and > to display in gallery captions, and they work fine the first time through. but when you edit the caption, the html equivalent is translated (to < and >). upon saving the caption, it has html errors due to mismatched < and >, and the caption doesn't display.

as a result, during subsequent edits you must go back and delete the inappropriate characters and replace them with the html code. very frustrating.

for example, when you enter
    <a href="link"><</a> some text
    it properly displays as
    < some text
    with < as the anchor to the specified link. when you edit the caption, you get
    <a href="link"><</a> some text
    and upon saving, nothing gets displayed.

Hi,

Surround ANY and ALL HTML in Bio, Description or Caption with <html> and </html>
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/web-tricks/2005/09/02/using-html-in-your-bio-caption-or-description/

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    jpbealjpbeal Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    jpbeal wrote:
    Hi,

Surround ANY and ALL HTML in Bio, Description or Caption with <html> and </html>
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/web-tricks/2005/09/02/using-html-in-your-bio-caption-or-description/

I hope this helps!
    I thought that you were on to something, but, alas, even wrapped in <html> </html>, gallery captions still get translated and require scrutiny when re-edited. it worked fine as long as I was on that page, but when I came back to it, :uhoh.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi,

I hope this helps!
    I have also reported the problem over here - adding <html>-tags doesn't help.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    Image link broken
    here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/url.mg

(using safari)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2006
    Simon King wrote:
    Simon, I can see it fine in Safari, IE6 and FF. Can you please check again, thanks.
  • Options
    Sergey ShevchenkoSergey Shevchenko Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    Hi Andy,

Continuing my problem report in the Star*Explorer thread:

Smugmug.com for its own part has somewhat inconsistent support for local alphabets, particularly cyrillic. If I enter some cyrillic characters in gallery or image descriptions, then the pop-up hints apearing when hovering over the thumbnails have those characters converted into something like unicode sequencies: "&# 1073;&# 43;&# 1085;...", without the extra blanks. Those same descriptions look perfectly ok on a gallery's main page.

Is this a known issue and are there any plans to fix it?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2006
    Hi Andy,

Smugmug.com for its own part has somewhat inconsistent support for local alphabets, particularly cyrillic. If I enter some cyrillic characters in gallery or image descriptions, then the pop-up hints apearing when hovering over the thumbnails have those characters converted into something like unicode sequencies: "&# 1073;&# 43;&# 1085;...", without the extra blanks. Those same descriptions look perfectly ok on a gallery's main page.

Thanks!
    Hi Sergey, I've asked our engineers to reply. Stay tuned. Thanks!
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    When you edit via ajax we have to convert unicode to those chars in order for javascript not to break them. Which browser is not showing the correct characters when mousing over?

Hi Andy,

Thanks!
  • Options
    Sergey ShevchenkoSergey Shevchenko Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    When you edit via ajax we have to convert unicode to those chars in order for javascript not to break them. Which browser is not showing the correct characters when mousing over?

JT, it's Internet Explorer version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519.

Actually, speaking of browsers, I'd very much prefer to use my favorite Opera, but certain functionality doesn't work there, so I use IE as a backup. For example, those very pop-up hints do not work, or when you click on an image with gallery style set to "smugmug" and it's supposed to open in large size - that doesn't work either. Do you know if that's a problem of Opera itself or Smumug uses some non-standard IE extensions?

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2006
    JT, it's Internet Explorer version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519.

Actually, speaking of browsers, I'd very much prefer to use my favorite Opera, but certain functionality doesn't work there, so I use IE as a backup. For example, those very pop-up hints do not work, or when you click on an image with gallery style set to "smugmug" and it's supposed to open in large size - that doesn't work either. Do you know if that's a problem of Opera itself or Smumug uses some non-standard IE extensions?

Thanks.
    Our Fully Supported browsers are IE6, Firefox (Win and Mac) and Safari.
  • Options
    ScalaScala Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Simon, I can see it fine in Safari, IE6 and FF. Can you please check again, thanks.
    Andy, the broken image is below that which was showing in your screenshot. Only the alternate text "highlighting a URL" shows. Here's the image URL, note the double slash:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/SmugImages//help/url-highlight.gif

:):
    My smugmug site: www.majakorpi.net
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2006
    Scala wrote:
    Andy, the broken image is below that which was showing in your screenshot. Only the alternate text "highlighting a URL" shows. Here's the image URL, note the double slash:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/SmugImages//help/url-highlight.gif

:):
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    Dear smugmug gods,

Something going on with your creation that I don't understand. One of my pics that I uploaded in full resolution, shows up in all sizes but the thumbnail size. For example, click here for the small size pic. However, the thumbnail link click here takes me to a 'picture not found'. And click here for the gallery it's located in. Type of account: pro. Please do let me know if you need any other information.

thanks in advance,
    mere mortal :)
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    chandi wrote:
    Dear smugmug gods,

Something going on with your creation that I don't understand. One of my pics that I uploaded in full resolution, shows up in all sizes but the thumbnail size. For example, click here for the small size pic. However, the thumbnail link click here takes me to a 'picture not found'. And click here for the gallery it's located in. Type of account: pro. Please do let me know if you need any other information.

thanks in advance,
    mere mortal :)

Hi Chandi

Ti: http://chandi.smugmug.com/photos/79639343-Ti.jpg
    Th: http://chandi.smugmug.com/photos/79639343-Th.jpg
    S: http://chandi.smugmug.com/photos/79639343-S.jpg

and so on.

ne_nau.gif they are all available?
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2006
    Thanks for that lightning fast response Andy. I swear that same 'Ti' link was taking me to a 'photo not found' image just before I posted. Now it's showing alright. Actually, this fluctuation happened once before too where thumbnails don't show up for a while and then they do. Could be an artifact of browser or cache you think?

Anyway, thanks again for the prompt response. Not a big deal at all really - but please do keep it in the back of your mind in case it happens again in the future.
    Andy wrote:
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    chandi wrote:
    Thanks for that lightning fast response Andy. I swear that same 'Ti' link was taking me to a 'photo not found' image just before I posted. Now it's showing alright. Actually, this fluctuation happened once before too where thumbnails don't show up for a while and then they do. Could be an artifact of browser or cache you think?

I've seen that once myself, when loading the image shortly after they were uploaded, the original and large were available, but the smaller images weren't yet. I think if you load during that tiny window where they're still being generated that you can get the not ready yet image stuck in your browser's cache. I know I kept seeing it in firefox after my wife was able to load the album just fine on her machine, forced reload of the page fixed that. This was of course way back before they added all the new image processing boxes, probably just happened to upload at a point when there was quite a bit of a queue built up.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    EXIF - focal length with full frame cameras
    I don't know whether this is a bug or a feature request. Smugmug's exif data display is really confusing re focal length. For example, for my 5D shots it says: 85mm (guess: 61mm in 35mm) I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean, but here is another example 85mm (guess: 87mm in 35mm) This last is with 85mm fixed so I know that 85mm is right. The first is for a zoom so I'm not 100% sure of how it was set.

This is very confusing because both shots say they are at 85mm, but calculate very different guesses for 35mm equivalents. In fact, since this is a full frame camera, the whole 3mm thing is meaningless.

I have two suggestions:
    1. Keep a small table of popular cameras along with the sizes of their sensors. Since about 99% of the shots posted on smugmug from dSLRs come from a handful of cameras, this is really not hard to do. For full frame cameras, you don't need any equivalent.
    2. Improve the wording so it's a little clear what this means. Perhaps 35mm equivalent?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I don't know whether this is a bug or a feature request. Smugmug's exif data display is really confusing re focal length. For example, for my 5D shots it says: 85mm (guess: 61mm in 35mm) I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean, but here is another example 85mm (guess: 87mm in 35mm) This last is with 85mm fixed so I know that 85mm is right. The first is for a zoom so I'm not 100% sure of how it was set.

This is very confusing because both shots say they are at 85mm, but calculate very different guesses for 35mm equivalents. In fact, since this is a full frame camera, the whole 3mm thing is meaningless.

I have two suggestions:
    1. Keep a small table of popular cameras along with the sizes of their sensors. Since about 99% of the shots posted on smugmug from dSLRs come from a handful of cameras, this is really not hard to do. For full frame cameras, you don't need any equivalent.
    2. Improve the wording so it's a little clear what this means. Perhaps 35mm equivalent?
    Been discussed many times = thanks Rutt! JT will incorporate into new exif when he gets to it.

For now, use the exif from critique style, it won't have a "guess" we took care of that bit already. thumb.gif
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    BUG: Incorrect link-names (custom hostname issue?)
    When i go to my site:
    http://www.streetsofboston.com/

And click on the 'Other Galleries' button: The box with the gallery-categories shows up.

Each thumbnail in this box is a link that starts with http://flyingdutchie.smugmug.com/. This is incorrect. They should start with http://www.streetsofboston.com/ .

The fact that the links start with http://flyingdutchie.smugmug.com instead, may confuse visitors of my site but also messes up handling of browser-cookies.

This bug also happens in the 'Most Popular Photos' section.

When i'm logged in however, all the links in the gallery-categories box are correct: they all start with http://www.streetsofboston.com/

-- Anton.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    When i go to my site:
    http://www.streetsofboston.com/

And click on the 'Other Galleries' button: The box with the gallery-categories shows up.

Each thumbnail in this box is a link that starts with http://flyingdutchie.smugmug.com/. This is incorrect. They should start with http://www.streetsofboston.com/ .

The fact that the links start with http://flyingdutchie.smugmug.com instead, may confuse visitors of my site but also messes up handling of browser-cookies.

This bug also happens in the 'Most Popular Photos' section.

When i'm logged in however, all the links in the gallery-categories box are correct: they all start with http://www.streetsofboston.com/

-- Anton.

Thanks Anton, I reported this a few days ago. Appreciate the reminder!
This discussion has been closed.