Options

smugmug and search results = sales

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    If you do a google 'image' search for either your 'tappan zee bridge' or my 'johnathan thurston' no smugmug images are returned.

Why wouldn't google image search index these?
    And here's Gogole "Image" search result:
  • Options
    CammoCammo Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I can't speak for image search but do a google on Tappan Zee Bridge and I'm on page one :D

So it is but I found it on page six - could be that I am searching from Australia? Anyone else see it on page one?

I can't figure out why none of my smugmug images appear on google image search. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    So it is but I found it on page six - could be that I am searching from Australia? Anyone else see it on page one?

I can't figure out why none of my smugmug images appear on google image search. Any thoughts?
    Let's focus more on what' you've done. Explain your keywords, etc. ear.gif
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    That's correct. Keywords in customize gallery help our search engine find your albums but don't help Google.

Wow, I wish I knew that before. That explains why google doesn't really pick up my stuff. Ok...so is there a way to adjust the cobranding so that I control which galleries can use captions? For like 95% of my galleries I wouldn't want the captions to show, but there are 2 galleries there where I do want them to show.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2006
    Wow, I wish I knew that before. That explains why google doesn't really pick up my stuff. Ok...so is there a way to adjust the cobranding so that I control which galleries can use captions? For like 95% of my galleries I wouldn't want the captions to show, but there are 2 galleries there where I do want them to show.
    Gallery keywords do NOT show anywhere. Look at the helpie in customize gallery page, you'll see more ...
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Gallery keywords do NOT show anywhere. Look at the helpie in customize gallery page, you'll see more ...

Right right I know...but we're saying that captions help google pick up the photos right? And caption do show under the photo, no? How can I make captions for google to pick them up but for them not to show to people viewing the page? I know how to do this to all of the galleries, but I want to leave captions working for a couple galleries.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Let's focus more on what' you've done. Explain your keywords, etc. ear.gif

Most (95% or more) of my images on smugmug have keywords in the IPTC info as well as full captions. Try http://www.cameronlaird.com/gallery/1594083/1/77311894 as an example. No keywords in the gallery customization, just on individual images...
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    Most (95% or more) of my images on smugmug have keywords in the IPTC info as well as full captions. Try http://www.cameronlaird.com/gallery/1594083/1/77311894 as an example. No keywords in the gallery customization, just on individual images...
    As the other tips suggest, there's a lot more to it. Are you blogging? Doing anything to increase your x-linking?
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    As the other tips suggest, there's a lot more to it. Are you blogging? Doing anything to increase your x-linking?

I am giving the blogging a try - trying to get into the Photographers bLounge but still waiting for a response from the guys organising that. My blog is brand new as of yesterday so I may as well post a link to it here (and I will add it to my sig). http://camlaird.blogspot.com although I would hate for my blog address to end up above my real website!

Apart from that I am doing all I can - I spend thousands a year on Yellow Pages advertising and I am 100% committed to dropping Yellow Pages next year!

Any of your other tips would REALLY be appreciated!
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    http://camlaird.blogspot.com although I would hate for my blog address to end up above my real website!
    So what? Why should you care? I don't care where or I'm listed or how, so long as you get to me. Have PROMINENT links form your blog to your photos. I know this sounds harsh, it's not meant to be. Lots of other great tips earlier in this thread, and also in the MYOB forum in general. But in the end, I say, don't worry HOW they got there, but be glad they did get there :D

deal.gif
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    I googled sportspix and my site was on the first page......... cool clap.gif .
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    I googled sportspix and my site was on the first page......... cool clap.gif .

You call it your site?

SmugMug - The ultimate in photo sharing. Online photo albums ...
    [SIZE=-1]The ultimate in photo sharing. Easily create online photo albums. Share, store, organize and print.[/SIZE]

I call it an ad for Smugmug that in no way distinguishes your site... See http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=34176
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    So what? Why should you care? I don't care where or I'm listed or how, so long as you get to me. Have PROMINENT links form your blog to your photos. I know this sounds harsh, it's not meant to be. Lots of other great tips earlier in this thread, and also in the MYOB forum in general. But in the end, I say, don't worry HOW they got there, but be glad they did get there :D

deal.gif

Why should I care? Because I do and that is pretty much it. I want my meta descriptions to refect my business, not Smugmug's. Along with others I have posted numerous times about this with no reply from Smugmug. Still waiting and it is on the top of MY personal list of Smugmug must-do's. Yes, the subscription price is good, the back-up is second to none but having a professional photographer's google responses read [SIZE=-1]The ultimate in photo sharing. Easily create online photo albums. Share, store, organize and print.[/SIZE]
    is plain ridiculous. People can't create an online album at my site, nor can they store or organize.
    This has to be addressed by someone at Smugmug reasonably soon...

Sportspix addressed this without knowing it.... Do a google search for Sportspix (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sportspix) and the top response in Australia is www.sportspix.com.au. Have a look at how that is displayed and compare it with with www.sportspix.ie which looks JUST like an ad for Smugmug. I would NEVER click to that link if I was looking for sports photos or a sports photographer.
    Sportspix said he is overjoyed to see his site on the front page of google - I'm sure Smugmug would be too!
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    Why should I care? Because I do and that is pretty much it. I want my meta descriptions to refect my business, not Smugmug's. Along with others I have posted numerous times about this with no reply from Smugmug. Still waiting and it is on the top of MY personal list of Smugmug must-do's. Yes, the subscription price is good, the back-up is second to none but having a professional photographer's google responses read [SIZE=-1]The ultimate in photo sharing. Easily create online photo albums. Share, store, organize and print.[/SIZE]
    is plain ridiculous. People can't create an online album at my site, nor can they store or organize.
    This has to be addressed by someone at Smugmug reasonably soon...

Sportspix addressed this without knowing it.... Do a google search for Sportspix (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sportspix) and the top response in Australia is www.sportspix.com.au. Have a look at how that is displayed and compare it with with www.sportspix.ie which looks JUST like an ad for Smugmug. I would NEVER click to that link if I was looking for sports photos or a sports photographer.
    Sportspix said he is overjoyed to see his site on the front page of google - I'm sure Smugmug would be too!

OK - you and many have said the same thing, and we hear you. I don't think that this is changing (you can bring it up in the features request thread if you wish)... but just think of this: you are using a shared service - and the only Meta info is what's there now. You are also riding on the high-indexing factor of SmugMug - and IMO that shouldn't be discounted. I wish there were a way to give you what you want, but I'm told there isn't. So, for now, I guess, you live with it, get the good high rankings, or... ?
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    I have posted numerous times about this with no reply from Smugmug.
    I posted nearly immediately after Anton brought it up:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=34176

And it's been discussed lots in other threads. I'm sorry if I didn't answer your post directly, sometimes one or two get by me :D
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    You call it your site?

SmugMug - The ultimate in photo sharing. Online photo albums ...
    [SIZE=-1]The ultimate in photo sharing. Easily create online photo albums. Share, store, organize and print.[/SIZE]

I call it an ad for Smugmug that in no way distinguishes your site... See http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=34176
    Hi Cammo, I can sense your frustration about this. And I really wish there was a way to have it your way.

When you have your own site, servers, domain, hosting software, photo gallery software, comms, networking, backup, etc, then you control how the indexing goes. But on SmugMug, at least right now, we don't have a way to do what you want. I wish you could see the positive things in this?
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Cammo, I can sense your frustration about this. And I really wish there was a way to have it your way.

When you have your own site, servers, domain, hosting software, photo gallery software, comms, networking, backup, etc, then you control how the indexing goes. But on SmugMug, at least right now, we don't have a way to do what you want. I wish you could see the positive things in this?

Well, I can't see any positives in the fact that it can't be done. What is positive about that? Can anyone who understands the technical side of this let us know if it is a remote possibility?

However I do think just about everything else about Smugmug is perfect or as close as you can get to perfect. :D
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    Well, I can't see any positives in the fact that it can't be done. What is positive about that? Can anyone who understands the technical side of this let us know if it is a remote possibility?

However I do think just about everything else about Smugmug is perfect or as close as you can get to perfect. :D

Cammo:
    It CAN be done technically. It is super easy, compared to the other services that Smugmug provides.

But, i guess, it can not be done as part of Smugmug's business-model... Smugmug just won't do it, it seems.

Andy:
    I'd like to hear the business-reason that Smugmug 'can not' do it. I just think it is strange that (1) the description in the Google-results of my site www.streetsofboston.com is incorrect and (2) how this is somehow beneficial to Smugmug.... ne_nau.gif
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2006
    Cammo:
    It CAN be done technically. It is super easy, compared to the other services that Smugmug provides.

But, i guess, it can not be done as part of Smugmug's business-model... Smugmug just won't do it, it seems.

Andy:
    I'd like to hear the business-reason that Smugmug 'can not' do it. I just think it is strange that (1) the description in the Google-results of my site www.streetsofboston.com is incorrect and (2) how this is somehow beneficial to Smugmug.... ne_nau.gif
    I'll defer to Onethumb...
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    I'm curious about this too
    Right right I know...but we're saying that captions help google pick up the photos right? And caption do show under the photo, no? How can I make captions for google to pick them up but for them not to show to people viewing the page? I know how to do this to all of the galleries, but I want to leave captions working for a couple galleries.

Anyone know the anwser to this question?

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    dogwood wrote:

Maybe something like this...?:

First add a new CSS style in your CSS section:
    .[B]invisible_caption[/B] {
    display: none;
    }

Then for each caption:
    <HTML><DIV class="[B]invisible_caption[/B]"> Your caption etc. etc. </DIV></HTML>

I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    [invisible caption solution for google to pick up]
    You're right - I do this all the time with the captions on my site in three languages. Based on cookies I hide the other two languages with CSS and google still picks up all languages. People even come to my site with a mixture of keywords in multiple languages. I guess they're sometimes baffeled a bit why the caption from the google snippet doesn't seem to be there - as the standard language displayed is English until they change it.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I just want to point out that they're still visible for search engines as they're used in the meta-keyword-tag for the gallery.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    that's what I thought
    I just want to point out that they're still visible for search engines as they're used in the meta-keyword-tag for the gallery.

Sebastian

Yeah, I thought that too because it seems to me like the search engines do pick these keywords up. But I am obviously no expert on any of this...

Anyway, thanks Flyingdutchie and Sebastian for your help with my other question.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    Cammo wrote:

I don't expect Getty's to ring me looking for photos mwink.gif

If I wanted to remove the smugmug stuff from a google search I would have my domain name hosted by a different company and link from that site to my smugmug gallery.

I am thinking about doing this because I am stupid and don't know how to use the css code to customise the smugmug site. Raphael Nadal is a good example of this type of site.

raphael's site/

I pay a hosting site a small yearly fee for my domain name. Web page hosting is included in the price and, when I get the time, I will do this. I intend to put up a front page with links to riders sites and a HUGE link to my smugmug photos:):

I have a few (10 or so) sites linking to my photos and I want to return the favour. To me, and remember the disclaimer about my intelligence or lack of, this is the best solution. It could, possibly, maybe, (rolleyes1.gif )also remove the smugmug references from a googe search.

My personal view is that smugmug is unique in the business world. They provide a fantastic service in a friendly and courteous manner and a few references to their site in a web search is not a problem to mene_nau.gif

I am still amazed that getting a smugmug site has put me on the front page of a google search.

as always ymmv, imho, afaik, blah blah. and this post isn't flame bait,
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2006
    dogwood wrote:

What I ended up doing is #caption_bottom {display: none}

That way any captions at the bottom of images won't show, but captions will still show in Journal mode...here's hoping nobody looks at my galleries that don't default to journal mode in journal mode since my captions are written to be google optimized (i.e. not complete sentences).
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2006
    What I ended up doing is #caption_bottom {display: none}
    .caption {display: none}
    sould take care of the captions in journal view. Haven't tested it though.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2006
    .caption {display: none}
    sould take care of the captions in journal view. Haven't tested it though.

Sebastian

It would, but the thing is there is one (or maybe more I forget) gallery where I force the journal style and I do want those captions to be read...so basically I want to leave captions visible in aa few galleries but invisible in most.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2006
    It would, but the thing is there is one (or maybe more I forget) gallery where I force the journal style and I do want those captions to be read...so basically I want to leave captions visible in aa few galleries but invisible in most.
    Easy one - use this and replace the xxxx with the gallery ID:
    .caption {display: none;}
    .caption .gallery_xxxx {display: block;}

You can also add numerous repetition of the last line for various galleries or separate them with a comma:
    .caption .gallery_xxxx, .caption .gallery_xxxx, .caption .gallery_xxxx {display: block;}

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2006
    Easy one - use this and replace the xxxx with the gallery ID:

Sebastian

Villen danke! clap.gif