Options

winter photography tips

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited January 9, 2008 in Technique
winter is one of my most favorite times for photography. as some of our friends in the northern climes are already receiving snow, i thought it would be a good time to start a winter photography tips thread.

exposure / metering:

the most important time i can give you is to overexpose that snow! most camera light meters are fooled by the bright snow, and will underexpose drastically. so, i find that between +1 and +1 2/3s positive ec is needed for most brightliy lit snow scenes. experiment to see what's right for your camera, but it'll for sure be in this range.

white balance: most cameras are fooled by the white snow, and their auto whitebalance doesn't get it right. learn to set your white balance manually, and i find that setting it manually against the white snow works great much of the time. of course, you can use a grey card, expodisc, or other device, too, but for me, the snow works just great.

gear:

2207693-M.jpg

these are very cool "shooting gloves" they are thin, yet warm! it was 8 degrees out on the hudson today, and with the windchill, about 20 below. my hands felt great! they have little rubber grips on them, so getting to all the controls on the camera is no problem. i highly recommend them. oh and the best part? $20 bucks. you can find them here at b&h photo

carry at least two, if not more, batteries (depends on how long you'll be out for). the cold *severely* limits battery performance, so don't be surprised if your battery drains in an hour even. carry extras, and keep them in a warm pocket, very close to your body.

be careful when bringing your camera from a very warm environment directly into the very very cold. you may get condensation. to avoid this, try the ziplock bag trick, keep your camera in the ziplock while inside, and then let it acclimate inside the ziplock for a while outdoors before you start shooting.

i'll add more tips as i think of them, and by all means, would you fellow dgrinners join in here with tips of your own?

enjoy (winter) photography,

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    Andy, fall is one thing, but winter is kind of pushing it in the Carolinas. The grass gets browner, though.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Clind'oeilClind'oeil Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 17, 2004
    andy wrote:
    winter is one of my most favorite times for photography. as some of our friends in the northern climes are already receiving snow ...
    Friday we were golfing ... Saturday we got 20 - 25 cm of snow (about 10 inches)umph.gif

I took a bunch of photos of our dog Buddy going NUTS in the snow thinking about this week's TIME challenge, as it could be considered "Time to Play". After CONSIDERABLE feedback from my wife, she thinks that snow on October 16 should be considered "Time to Move!" ...
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2004
    welcome to dgrin
    Clind'oeil wrote:
    Friday we were golfing ... Saturday we got 20 - 25 cm of snow (about 10 inches)umph.gif

I took a bunch of photos of our dog Buddy going NUTS in the snow thinking about this week's TIME challenge, as it could be considered "Time to Play". After CONSIDERABLE feedback from my wife, she thinks that snow on October 16 should be considered "Time to Move!" ...

wave.gif happy to have you aboard clind'oeil :D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited October 18, 2004
    If you're out in the cold, especially when you're handling metal objects,
    be careful of handling them with moist hands. Damp hands on cold metal
    object might mean stuck hands :D

To make handling your tripod easier, find a section of pipe insulation at
    the local building supply store. Duct tape the insulation to the top
    of the tripod leg(s).

Batteries tend to do poorly in the cold. Keep your spares in a pocket
    next to you.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    winter in calif tips
    Sun Screen
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 18, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    If you're out in the cold, especially when you're handling metal objects,
    be careful of handling them with moist hands. Damp hands on cold metal
    object might mean stuck hands :D

To make handling your tripod easier, find a section of pipe insulation at
    the local building supply store. Duct tape the insulation to the top
    of the tripod leg(s).

Batteries tend to do poorly in the cold. Keep your spares in a pocket
    next to you.

Ian

One of the better reason for Carbon Fibre tripods is that they are not cold like a metal tripod at all. They can actually feel warm at times, especially if the sun is shining.

A plastic garbage bag or a freezer bag is a good thing to place your camera inside prior to returning to warm environs if you have been outside in the cold all day to prevent condensation inside optics and electronics.

I find that setting your color balance for shade helps diminish the blue color you often get when shooting in a snowy environment and use AWB.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2004
    When you're out and about in the winter weather, don't forget to dress
    the part.

Layering, especially if your activities include working or hiking, is important.
    Start with the underwear layer. I will usually wear something like UnderArmor
    (poly stretch) as a base layer followed by the appropriate layers on top.
    Depending on the weather, it could be as simple as the polypro underwear
    and street clothes or more polypro followed by fleece and some sort of shell.

Layering allows you to add or subtract clothing as required to help regulate
    your body temperature. There's nothing like being too hot after a hike in the
    snow followed by an hour of standing around in the cold and in wet clothes
    while shooting.

The head is a great source of heat loss. Wear a cap or hat to prevent heat
    loss. And don't forget your feet. A nice pair of wool socks is a must.

Looking forward to winter,
    Ian
  • Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    :cry ooooowah. you guys are so lucky!

i've never even seen real snow! - let along taken a picture of some!

the best we get is some hail, it might get to 3 degrees (c) but that's it! have to drive about 2000 km to the closest snow field but that's really only open for about 3 months of the year! either that or fly to New Zealand!

make sure you all post HEAPS of winter shots, snow, ice, all that stuff to keep us Aussie's sane!

It should keep us cool in our scortching summers - i would say that we would easily get 47+ degrees (c) in our state this summer! umph.gif

Enjoying (extremes of weather) photography.

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    I have found a glove similar in thickness to what Andy has been using. It does not have the little grippers, but it is fingerless with a flip back mitten top. It allows you to keep your hands warm while waiting or cover up one hand. They have worked well for me, about $16.00 where Carhartt clothing is sold.

a27_sm.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Clind'oeil wrote:

Where do you live Clind??rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    Man, you guys get snow. We barely ever get rain where I live!
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    munmun Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2004
    dont want it to snow here yet. this topic is going to give me winter nightmares (err -50 *c with windchill)
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Here's One from Today!!!
    My youngest one playing with that dirty four letter "S" word. It's just too darn early for this. This was AWB, no ec, Aperature Priority at f/16, ISO 100.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    My youngest one playing with that dirty four letter "S" word. It's just too darn early for this. This was AWB, no ec, Aperature Priority at f/16, ISO 100.
    Great shot. I can't believe that you guys have SNOW! It's like 80 degrees down here and the leaves are still very green...
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Spockling, beautiful picture of your daughter.

The Sierra's got something like 4' in places last weekend. One or two
    resorts "opened" for the ski season. I use quotes because only one lift
    in each was opened. So technically, it's the beginning of rental ski season :D

Ian
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2004
    gloves
    patch29 wrote:
    I have found a glove similar in thickness to what Andy has been using. It does not have the little grippers, but it is fingerless with a flip back mitten top. It allows you to keep your hands warm while waiting or cover up one hand. They have worked well for me, about $16.00 where Carhartt clothing is sold.

a27_sm.gif

I have followed the link to the lowepro gloves, and it costs me 11 dollar to ship them to my apo address. Gosh, that is half of the price of the gloves.
    Buying them in UK will probably be overkill to what pricing concerns.
    Does anyone know how much they go in UK? I would pay 30 dollar to have them shipped.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2004
    uk dealers for the shooting gloves here
    photocat wrote:
    I have followed the link to the lowepro gloves, and it costs me 11 dollar to ship them to my apo address. Gosh, that is half of the price of the gloves.
    Buying them in UK will probably be overkill to what pricing concerns.
    Does anyone know how much they go in UK? I would pay 30 dollar to have them shipped.

photocat, go to this lowepro site and put in your postal code. you'll get a list of uk retailers.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2004
    andy wrote:
    photocat, go to this lowepro site and put in your postal code. you'll get a list of uk retailers.

Thanks Andy, will do. ..
    :D
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2004
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2004
    MHJS wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    You laugh. But on a sunny day in the snow? A nasty burn
    you will know.

Ian
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2004
    I needed those gloves today.
    Thanks for the tip! On order.

Minus something with the windchill today. Everything was warm except that shootin' finger!

Merino wool undershirt, cotton hooded sweatshirt, full face mask (wigwam light weight), mountain parka, layers will always do it! Gotta guard against getting too warm and raising your bloodpressure. When hiking in extreme conditions it's easy to overdo it...listen to your body!
  • Options
    TrevenTreven Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    Winter tips
    In this thread Andy, you had mentioned about using the flash, for snow pix, even tho you're outdoors & most likely during the daytime.
    My question is, should I use the 828's built-in flash or my F32X external flash?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2004
    Treven wrote:
    In this thread Andy, you had mentioned about using the flash, for snow pix, even tho you're outdoors & most likely during the daytime.
    My question is, should I use the 828's built-in flash or my F32X external flash?ne_nau.gif

wave.gif welcome to dgrin, treven! happy to have you here, you'll be a very welcome addition to this board.

i don't recall talking about flash... i don't use flash much for my outdoor winter photography. did i say that? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

in any case, i'm looking forward to your contributions here deal.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    TrevenTreven Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    Mea Culpa. It was from a quick tutorial from Megapixel.net that you posted a link to from the STF areahttp://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en.
    ...The solution? Add 1 EV of exposure compensation and force the flash on.
    andy wrote:
    wave.gif welcome to dgrin, treven! happy to have you here, you'll be a very welcome addition to this board.

i don't recall talking about flash... i don't use flash much for my outdoor winter photography. did i say that? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

in any case, i'm looking forward to your contributions here deal.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2004
    overexpose that snow!
    Treven wrote:
    Mea Culpa. It was from a quick tutorial from Megapixel.net that you posted a link to from the STF areahttp://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en.
    ...The solution? Add 1 EV of exposure compensation and force the flash on.

yeah- overexpose the snow.. +1ec is about right. i don't force the flash on though....
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2004
    My Tip
    If you cant be with Harry or our friends on the left coast.:D :D:D

13287059-M.jpg
  • Options
    TheSenatorTheSenator Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2004
    I don't know how cold it gets in NY, but I do know this: If hell were to freeze over you'd get Wisconsin. Cold, wet, windy, everything. To keep warm (taking pictures or just living) all I use is:
    Warm wool hat
    Great scarf (a warm neck psychologically makes you feel warmer)
    2 layers of wigwam socks
    Good dry boots and don't worry about warmth, that comes from the socks
    Get some thin gloves and some warm gloves, use the thin ones while shooting
    And a coat that will block out the wind and keep you dry

Warmth is one of the things you want in winter, but what you really want is to be dry. If you put on too much, you sweat and you literally start to freeze on bad days. Light layers are great and no matter what fabrics we come up with wool is the warmest. And stay away from polyester as much as possible. It is warm but it does not breath, try to get as much wool and cotton in what you wear, it truely will make the difference between you focusing on your picture or focusing on trying to stay warm.
    Gallery: TheSenator
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    I may be going up north to Mackinaw City again in a couple weeks. Lots of snow, Lots of high winds, Lots and lots of cold (why oh why am I not going to Florida instead like my instincts tell me). I am hoping to get some good shots of the bridge during winter and I have many from summer months. If I use the zip lock bag before you go out and before you go back in how worried should I be about shooting with my 10D. Or should I just shoot the A80 again since it has one of those "drop it, step on it, run it over, we replace it" warranties from circuit city. I would really like to use the 10D so I could get some nice 13X19 prints. I'm just very nervous about the whole condensation thing, and or the LCD freezing and cracking, other parts freezing, etc etc. What do you guys think.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 4, 2005
    good layers: check

hat: check

gloves: check

...but what do I do about the problem on my chin:

13231461-M.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    good layers: check

hat: check

gloves: check

...but what do I do about the problem on my chin:
    Wrong bike rolleyes1.gif

Ian