Options

PS Software...

landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
edited November 16, 2004 in Finishing School
I have been looking online, and I have found several sites offering Photoshop CS OEM for $80-$100. It all seems to come from Eastern Europe...does anyone know what the deal is with this? They say it is just the software, no box or manual. It seems strange to me, but there are so many sites...I dunno:dunno

Also...I currently have PS 5.5 (that's why I'm looking to upgrade...) I will have a photo open in PS, and adjust it so it looks great. If I view it with any other software, or upload it to smugmug, it looks red and dark. Why would this be, especially since I am viewing it on the same computer? If I do color/density adjustments in Corel PhotoPaint, it looks great no matter what program I use. I am puzzled by this. I also think I need to calibrate my monitor, but I don't know how to do this. I have the prints from SM, do I adjust my monitor against them?

Thank you for any help available...

Laurie (wanna-be computer geek):D
Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2004
    I do not get a large difference when I take my photos from one place to another, but it is enough of a difference to keep them out of the finals. I just mentioned that on my thread, Lynn said everyone has that problem.

I go nuts trying to match colors with what someone else wants me to do, when I can't get the same colors from one place to another myself.

This time, and for you, too, I imagine, it is especially important to me as I am dealing with the flesh tone of a young boy.

AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH. Please keep this thread going, I would like to know what others do.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Laurie, Baldy answered me about skin tones on my thread under challenges. It is the last post in the thread starting with Attn: Lynn.

It might be of interest to you, too.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    Laurie,

Your problem with colors changing when you move from Photoshop to other softare is probably due to the color profile Photoshop is using. You probably have Photoshop setup to use AdobeRGB, while smugmug (and other programs) use sRGB.

There is a solution! In Photoshop CS there is a command called Convert to profile in the Image menu. There is probably a similar command in PS 5.5. Use convert to profile to switch to sRGB before saving your file and posting it to smugmug.

Let us know if this doesn't fix the problem!
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    landrum wrote:
    I have been looking online, and I have found several sites offering Photoshop CS OEM for $80-$100. It all seems to come from Eastern Europe...does anyone know what the deal is with this? They say it is just the software, no box or manual. It seems strange to me, but there are so many sites...I dunnone_nau.gif

Also...I currently have PS 5.5 (that's why I'm looking to upgrade...) I will have a photo open in PS, and adjust it so it looks great. If I view it with any other software, or upload it to smugmug, it looks red and dark. Why would this be, especially since I am viewing it on the same computer? If I do color/density adjustments in Corel PhotoPaint, it looks great no matter what program I use. I am puzzled by this. I also think I need to calibrate my monitor, but I don't know how to do this. I have the prints from SM, do I adjust my monitor against them?

Thank you for any help available...

Laurie (wanna-be computer geek):D
    If you have PS 5.5 you should be able to upgrade to PS CS for about $150. Thats what I just did, they even included the manual :D .
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    cletus wrote:
    Laurie,

Your problem with colors changing when you move from Photoshop to other softare is probably due to the color profile Photoshop is using. You probably have Photoshop setup to use AdobeRGB, while smugmug (and other programs) use sRGB.

There is a solution! In Photoshop CS there is a command called Convert to profile in the Image menu. There is probably a similar command in PS 5.5. Use convert to profile to switch to sRGB before saving your file and posting it to smugmug.

Let us know if this doesn't fix the problem!

Cletus, I think you are dead on correct. After I finish post processing my image I will save it as a .psd for my use, and then I hit Image - Mode - Convert to Profile - Destination color space sRBG IEC1966-2.1 . I use the Adobe (ACE) color engine and Relative Colorimetric intent checked. The other three boxes for Black Point Compensation, Use dither and Flatten Image I leave checked.
    I then save the image in my upload que for smugmug as a jpg - knowing that it is a jpg with the sRGB color space. I find very llittle difference between an image I am viewing in PS in the Adobe color space and one I am viewing in dgrin or smugmug ON THE SAME MONITOR after using this technique in Firefox or in Internet Explorer.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    tmlphoto wrote:
    If you have PS 5.5 you should be able to upgrade to PS CS for about $150. Thats what I just did, they even included the manual :D .
    And you will have a nice legal copy and Adobe support and and access to the new RAW converters as they are issued. PS CS for $80 from Eastern Europe sounds too good to be true and you KNOW what that means.

I, for one, prefer to share my credit information with Adobe rather than some firm in Eastern Europe - ( I will now get flamed by someone from Bulgaria or somewhere, but that's just my view....) lol3.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote:
    And you will have a nice legal copy and Adobe support and and access to the new RAW converters as they are issued. PS CS for $80 from Eastern Europe sounds too good to be true and you KNOW what that means.

I, for one, prefer to share my credit information with Adobe rather than some firm in Eastern Europe - ( I will now get flamed by someone from Bulgaria or somewhere, but that's just my view....) lol3.gif
    Yes...you and Thomas are absolutely right. I wasn't thinking about upgrade software though; that's definately the way to go.

Thanks for the help on color too. I'm going to play with the settings and see if it fixes the problem.

I have to say that I really am loving this forum. Everyone is so knowlegeable and willing to help. I'm very comfortable here. Thanks again everyone!mwink.gif

Laurie
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2004
    You can get Photoshop CS for $299 straight from Adobe.

Special Elements upgrade offer

It's been reported that you don't even need a valid Elements serial number. Just thow in some numbers.

Give it shot
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2004
    Here's another URL for the $299 Photoshop CS upgrade from Elements
    Here's a deal for Wacom customers. You need a valid Elements 2.0 serial #.

While I actually am a Wacom customer with a valid serial #, I just ordered the CS upgrade over the phone (888-724-4508), gave him the source code from the URL (74113) and he did not ask for my Elements 2.0 serial number.

cheers, Spider-t