Options

smugmug chat - BETA! HELP WANTED!

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited September 22, 2010 in SmugMug Support
EDIT: Detailed instructions here: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/SmugChat

I'm playing around with the idea of providing some communications via IRC. So I've set up a test server at 'irc.smugmug.com' for everyone to play with.

If you think it sounds like a good idea, fire up your favorite IRC client (mIRC is the most popular Windows client) and come on by.

Ideally, I'd like it to be a place where smugmuggers can chat with each other, help each other out with everything from editing photos to smugmug features and all the rest.

Along the way, it'd be nice to have a realtime conversation with lots of smugmug users at once so we can test out new features, get feedback, and really understand what we should be working on.

So if you're interested in helping make smugmug a better place, spread the word. Join the #smugmug channel ( /join #smugmug ) on the server and go to town. Join #smugpros ( /join #smugpros ) if you're a Pro level customer and would like to discuss Pro options with us and other Pros.

Tonight, for example, I'll probably be on there while I'm doing maintenance so you can see what I'm doing and what's happening. Should be a fun experiment, at the very least. :)

Note that this won't be an 'official' customer support mechanism, but I expect quite a few smugmug team members to be a regular fixture there, so we'll see how it goes.

See you there!

Don

Comments

• Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    EXCELLENT! I happen to use XChat, I find it a bit more configurable, it's easily available for more than one OS, and it's FREEEEE.

Our site has a channel, on the temperamental afterx.net. I'll be adding you onto my list of servers!
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    pecheneypecheney Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    EXCELLENT! I happen to use XChat, I find it a bit more configurable, it's easily available for more than one OS, and it's FREEEEE.

Our site has a channel, on the temperamental afterx.net. I'll be adding you onto my list of servers!
    i can;t get in. not working. is it up?
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    pecheney wrote:

It sure is. It's been up 100% since I made the first post.

What message are you getting? Is anyone else having problems joining?

Here's the details:

http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/SmugChat

Hope to see you there!

Don
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    pecheney wrote:

I'm on all the time & have not had a problem. If you need help setting up your irc program, we can help.

Dave
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    Here's a quick little tutorial on how to get on using mIRC. Instructions are similar, but not exact, for many other IRC clients.

First, download and install it as you would any other Windows application.

When it starts up, it will display a screen as follows. Enter whatever information you'd like, similar to signing up for a dgrin forum account or whatever. I recommend using the same nickname for smugmug, dgrin, and chat, so we know who you are, but that's up to you.

6405256-M.jpg

Next, select the "Servers" item in the left-hand 'Category' column, as shown, and click 'Add':

6405254-M.jpg

Enter in the smugmug server settings, as shown, and click 'Add':

6405258-M.jpg

Make sure IRC Server lists your new smugmug server, then click 'Connect to Server':

6405635-M.jpg

Congrats! You're now on smugmug's chat! The last thing to do is to join our chat 'channel', which you can do by simply typing in '#smugmug' (the # sign is important!) and clicking 'Join' as shown:

6405253-M.jpg

Now you're chatting with the rest of us. Simply type 'Hello' and press enter. You can see, below, what a typical chat window looks like.

6405255-M.jpg

The main portion is a log of everything people are saying, the right portion is a list of the people who are chatting with you, and the smaller portion on the bottom is the area in which you type.

Enjoy!

Don
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2004
    Anyone still use this?
    I was curious so I just logged onto these chat rooms and noone was there. Does anyone still use them? Just curious..

Mike
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Hey, is the IRC server down?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    darryl wrote: »
    Hey, is the IRC server down?

No, Darryl - been up an running for a long time. Need help?
  • Options
    doug bdoug b Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Andy, I'm actually having problems connecting to the chat room.
    I'm using Colloquy for OS X. I've set things up per the instructions up above:

When I connect to '#smugmug', nothing happens and when I open the console, I see no one in there. Not sure of what I'm doing wrong.

Doug
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2010
    doug b wrote: »
    Andy, I'm actually having problems connecting to the chat room.
    I'm using Colloquy for OS X. I've set things up per the instructions up above:

When I connect to '#smugmug', nothing happens and when I open the console, I see no one in there. Not sure of what I'm doing wrong.

Doug

Our server is chat.smugmug.net thumb.gif

http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/SmugChat
  • Options
    doug bdoug b Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    Ah ha... See, I was getting the server name from the fourth post in this thread. Maybe it's a good idea to edit that post ? Because this thread is the only reason I know about the IRC chat in the first place. There are likely other mentions of its existence, but I haven't seen them so it's also likely that others will fall into the same trap as I did.

Thanks Andy.

Doug
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Wow, I didn't even realize we had this feature. Maybe having a flash/javascript client for vbulletin and putting a link to it from the dgrin forum list would help others know too. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    It's a great way of getting heroes attention to something that you need not want posted permanently here on DGrin.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Are heros on there 24x7? That would be nice for those 2am issues that may not be issues...
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    SamirD wrote: »
    Are heros on there 24x7? That would be nice for those 2am issues that may not be issues...

No. And Yes. It depends. We work 365 days a year, but even Smuggy sleeps a little mwink.gif Officially, we're closed from about 9pm to 1am California Time. But there's usually someone around all the time thumb.gif
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    adium users can setup irc now. This page helped me to connect to #SmugMug.
  • Options
    Seamus wrote: »
    adium users can setup irc now. This page helped me to connect to #SmugMug.

Shay, how'd you get the IRC choice in 'accounts'? I only see this

20100920-fdhw59gww4fedmmimmq54d2pc4.jpg
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    The Beta of Adium 1.4 has the feature.
    Users of the Adium 1.4 beta ¶

IRC is now one of the services fully supported by Adium and you no longer have to use a separate client to connect to IRC, you can connect directly using Adium
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    This is a link to the beta, use at your own risk :)
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2010
    Seamus wrote: »
    This is a link to the beta, use at your own risk :)

Thx done. Neat!
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. Just prevented me from making a mistake and deleting a bunch of images accidentally. Way cool to have additional ways to get answers to questions.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact