Options

House of your dreams??? or not...

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited February 6, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
I think this has finally fallen down... old haunted house in Maine...

house-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    Nice shot and nice processing!
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice shot and nice processing!

thanks
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    Now that's my kind of place. Looks to have been quite a grand home at one time. You wonder what led to its demise.

Nice shot,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    Love it.

Now for the bad news: You image has been snatched and shown on Admin Edit: Blog thief's site link removed by Dgrin forum administrators and moderators.

See this previous thread for a more complete explanation.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=250553&page=3

Sam
  • Options
    The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    Great shot, seeing an amazing house like this in such abandonment is both beautiful and sad at the same time.
    ____Motoception Photography____
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Love it.

Now for the bad news: You image has been snatched and shown on blogspot.

See this previous thread for a more complete explanation.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=250553&page=3

Sam
    hmmm thanks sam... now what? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2015
    Great stuff! If I could be there I'd probably take a thousand images or so, everywhere I could get. thumb.gif:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2015
    lynnma wrote: »
    hmmm thanks sam... now what? headscratch.gif

Evidently most of us have had our images stolen and posted on that blog. Due to Dgrin being the harvest spot, I feel they might want to flex their muscles here to get this resolved before members just quit posting on Dgrin for this reason.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2015
    Yes if you look at the blog site there are so many, actually.. most are from Dgrin. I certainly am a bit leary of what I post now knowing it's going up into blogspot.
    they just have no shame.:bluduh
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,244 moderator
    edited February 2, 2015
    Yes if you look at the blog site there are so many, actually.. most are from Dgrin. I certainly am a bit leary of what I post now knowing it's going up into xxxx://visionxmobile dot blogspot dot com/
    they just have no shame.:bluduh
    Please don't quote the blog's URL here - that's an inbound link to the site that drives more visits and revenue for it.
    I think that's the opposite of what you intended.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2015
    Please don't quote the blog's URL here - that's an inbound link to the site that drives more visits and revenue for it.
    I think that's the opposite of what you intended.

--- Denise
    Sorry Denise... it absolutely was not what I was intending.. my excuse? um... dotage rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,244 moderator
    edited February 2, 2015
    Sorry Denise... it absolutely was not what I was intending.. my excuse? um... dotage
    No excuse needed, and I figured that wasn't what you intended!
    It's infuriating that the posts and images are being stolen. Hopefully the site won't live too long.

--- Denise
  • Options
    BrigsterBrigster Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2015
    Hi all! I'm new here and was reading about this whole mess. When I looked at the source code on that site, it appears that they are running the actual links to the photos here through one of those sites that shortens URL's. The photos then are showing on the rogue site by being hot-linked from here. It is very possible and quite easy to block external sites from hot-linking photos by tweaking a setting on the server side here. I've had to do this on one of my servers when another site was stealing my bandwidth by hot-linking to some of my photos. In my case, the rogue had created thumbnails of my originals that linked to the larger copies, but now visitors clicking on those thumbnails only get my custom written error code and no view of the photo at all.

It's also quite likely that that the rogue site is running some kind of script to 'screen scrape' the content here and such activity should be detectable in the server logs here. The logs will show the IP address of the offender and the IP can then be banned from accessing this site at all.

If the mods or admins here have access to the webmaster for dgrin, perhaps they could pass this info along. My own servers are running CPanel, but all hosting packages are likely to contain similar security options. There's no reason at all for the users here to suffer through this crap, especially in light of Google's failure to act responsibly.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2015
    Brigster wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm new here and was reading about this whole mess. When I looked at the source code on that site, it appears that they are running the actual links to the photos here through one of those sites that shortens URL's. The photos then are showing on the rogue site by being hot-linked from here. It is very possible and quite easy to block external sites from hot-linking photos by tweaking a setting on the server side here. I've had to do this on one of my servers when another site was stealing my bandwidth by hot-linking to some of my photos. In my case, the rogue had created thumbnails of my originals that linked to the larger copies, but now visitors clicking on those thumbnails only get my custom written error code and no view of the photo at all.

It's also quite likely that that the rogue site is running some kind of script to 'screen scrape' the content here and such activity should be detectable in the server logs here. The logs will show the IP address of the offender and the IP can then be banned from accessing this site at all.

If the mods or admins here have access to the webmaster for dgrin, perhaps they could pass this info along. My own servers are running CPanel, but all hosting packages are likely to contain similar security options. There's no reason at all for the users here to suffer through this crap, especially in light of Google's failure to act responsibly.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to look into this bad situation.
    Seems as though some around here think it's virtually impossible to stop this theft. Your solutions sound valid to me.

Main issue: SmugMug is not engaged to even acknowledge this constant image theft is of enough importance to deal with.

I hope they take you up on your offer.

At least I thank you!
    Randy
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 5, 2015
    I don't believe that addresses the problem. That would only work for images hosted on Dgrin. However, the vast majority of images posted on Dgrin are hot-linked from image servers such as Smugmug, Flickr, etc. Image servers can't block hot-links without killing Dgrin as well, and there's nothing Dgrin can do about other servers using the same image links.
  • Options
    BrigsterBrigster Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 6, 2015
    Ah, true enough about the hot-link protection -I hadn't thought about the way the images are already linked here from other places. However, they could still determine the IP address of the rogue easily enough from the server logs and prevent access. It does seem like the dgrin management just doesn't seem to care enough to do anything about it. Oh, well.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 6, 2015
    Ah, true enough about the hot-link protection -I hadn't thought about the way the images are already linked here from other places. However, they could still determine the IP address of the rogue easily enough from the server logs and prevent access. It does seem like the dgrin management just doesn't seem to care enough to do anything about it. Oh, well.
    Actually, a change has been made that appears to have stopped them dead.