Options

Linking Folders to galleries on homepage

aLoha TimaLoha Tim Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited September 8, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
I'm finally getting around to moving my legacy site to the new smugmug. I want to put folders on my home page that link to subfolders and those subfolders link to galleries. On my legacy site I did this with drop down menus. I've looked at the various tutorials but they don't seem to cover this. Can anyone give me some help with this? Mahalo

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited September 6, 2014
    I'm not sure what you are asking here.

Are you looking for the ability to create drop-down menus? If that's what you are after, you can easily create a drop-down menu in a menu block. See the section Create a Dropdown Menu on the help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1222523-how-do-i-make-a-navigation-menu-.

If your question is not related to creating a drop-down menu can you describe the look you are after? Or provide a link to your legacy site so we can see?

--- Denise
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2014
    On your homepage add a folder content box. Navigation > Folders

You can modified it so only the folders (categories in legacy) you want will show. Things like site files and couple other
    folders might not want to show to the public. Do this by setting "Select from" to "Folders | Choose".
    They will show in the order you choose them. To re-order you have to re-choose them.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2014
    No Denise that was my legacy site. For my new site I want a visitor to click on a folder on the home page that will take them to another set of folders and from those folders into galleries. I thought I could create the folder content box on my homepage as you wrote Allen. Then I could click on the chosen folder and it would automatically show me the folders in the hierarchy already created in the Organizer. Instead it shows me the same upper level folders as on the homepage . Clearly, I'm missing something. I need to tell Folders where to go and I don't see how to do that.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2014
    aLoha Tim wrote: »
    No Denise that was my legacy site. For my new site I want a visitor to click on a folder on the home page that will take them to another set of folders and from those folders into galleries. I thought I could create the folder content box on my homepage as you wrote Allen. Then I could click on the chosen folder and it would automatically show me the folders in the hierarchy already created in the Organizer. Instead it shows me the same upper level folders as on the homepage . Clearly, I'm missing something. I need to tell Folders where to go and I don't see how to do that.
    The folders you choose to place in the content block should link directly to those folders?
    BTW, I've customize my /browse page to exactly this, choose only those folders (categories) I want to show.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2014
    I presumed it would behave like windows explorer. You click on a folder to see the subfolders . Then click on a subfolder to see the files. I guess I need to create a navbar to do this. WHich considering the use of touch screens is not optimal.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    I just added as a test a "folders" content box to my home page and using "folders | choose" added two.
    Both when clicked opened its folder page showing galleries and sub-folders if applicable.
    Acts just like a tree in descending order. Not sure what you're doing.

See this post for video of adding folder content box with two folders.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1968149&postcount=3
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    Thanks but I understand how to add content boxes. That's straight forward enough. I did the same thing. Now when I click on a folder on the homepage it sends me to the subfolders but when I click on the subfolders it doesn't take me to the galleries. It doesn't go anywhere. Also I noticed when I click on the other two folders on the homepage they take me to the same subfolders as the first!!!

http://pa-iki-i.smugmug.com/

I finally found this
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1249025-new-problem---no-galleries-found-on-folder-pages
  • Options
    Hero AmandaHero Amanda Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2014
    Hi aLoha Tim,

When you have folders, galleries, and pages in a top level folder, we recommend using the Folders, Galleries, Pages content block. This will display whatever the next level is. Here's more info: http://smu.gs/YrKv7O

All The Best,
    Amanda
    SmugMug Support Hero
    All The Best,
    Amanda
    SmugMug Support Hero