Options

Tools in Organizer...b0rked?

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2014
    Baldy wrote: »
    We dove pretty deep into this in today's meeting and decided to add back the crop thumbnail tool until we have a replacement that is more general for all the new shapes and sizes, and more understandable for the masses ...

Hopefully we can get it restored quickly for the people like you and me who still use it ...

clap.gif
    ... and also hopefully we can retire it with something much better in the not too distant future.

I'm pleased you now agree these two points are linked!
    Point taken about making it easier to do for a large number of images, also for the other tools.
    Like enabling the long-requested bulk maintenance of image titles in the Photo Editor? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2014
    I use Smugmug style galleries and it's 100 more times efficient to add title/caption/keyword
    under the main photo then using the new tool. Most of my photos will have different info on each.
    But because the old tool presented the whole gallery on one page where I used copy/paste/search
    even this method lost productivity.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    Just chiming in here, I just noticed this feature loss today and was disappointed as well. Toying around with the new system to try to figure out how to regain lost functionality, I ran into a scrolling error with the right frame. I'm pretty disappointed, the previous system was super simple and user-friendly, and the new one doesn't seem to be nearly as simple or user-friendly. It does look nice though...

My wife is bummed too, but expresses that she's glad she just finished keywording our latest big trip before things got changed. ne_nau.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    coldclimb wrote: »
    Just chiming in here, I just noticed this feature loss today and was disappointed as well. Toying around with the new system to try to figure out how to regain lost functionality, I ran into a scrolling error with the right frame. I'm pretty disappointed, the previous system was super simple and user-friendly, and the new one doesn't seem to be nearly as simple or user-friendly. It does look nice though...

My wife is bummed too, but expresses that she's glad she just finished keywording our latest big trip before things got changed. ne_nau.gif

Can you recreate that issue consistently? If so, I would love to know the steps taken. Thanks!
  • Options
    Traces of TexasTraces of Texas Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    I must admit that quite a bit of the above discussion is over my head, but I am freaking out. I can no longer view all of my captions and keywords for any given gallery on one page. Given that some of my galleries are quite large this represents a major loss in functionality for me. Is viewing and editing the captions and keywords for each image in a gallery on one page no longer possible?

Is this all part of the smugmug "improvement" that happened a few days ago?

And while I'm at it, what the heck does "prepend" mean? I've got a masters degree in history from the University of Texas, write for a living, and don't believe I've ever encountered this word before. I had to look it up in my Funk and Wagnel's. And I'm STILL not sure I understand what it means. ;)
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    Prepend is a word that only really exists in computing, due to developers making words up (it's the opposite of "append" and is the verb "to prefix").
  • Options
    Traces of TexasTraces of Texas Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    Prepend is a word that only really exists in computing, due to developers making words up (it's the opposite of "append" and is the verb "to prefix").

Yes. I got that.

So how can I view and edit all of my captions and keywords for any given gallery on one page? I can't very well select and highlight all 2400 images in my main gallery, go to the caption and keyword tool, and scroll down through each of them one-by-one.
  • Options
    GloriousnseGloriousnse Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    Can I just add another voice to say that if you're trying to add a mix of keywords to a large number of images, this method is a lot harder. Would love to see a way of bringing up the old editor.

I also had the half hidden text bug btw.

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    I think I'll just add a recreation of the old bulk-tool to my SmugMug extension for Chrome, and people who like the old workflow can use that.

If anybody has any more screenshots of the old bulk edit tool, that would be great.

EDIT: Or alternatively, if the old tool is still on the server we could just figure out how to edit the URLs to access it again, does anybody have a legacy site they can copy the link from the address bar while in the bulk editor?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited May 23, 2014
    I think I'll just add a recreation of the old bulk-tool to my SmugMug extension for Chrome, and people who like the old workflow can use that.
    That would be awesome, thanks!

--- Denise
  • Options
    GloriousnseGloriousnse Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    Seconded, thanks!

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk
  • Options
    snowyowlsnowyowl Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2014
    The new tools doesn't allow me to bulk remove captions, some thing that | could do two days ago. I wish I could go back to the old version of smugmug, it was much more functional for me.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    ...Or alternatively, if the old tool is still on the server we could just figure out how to edit the URLs to access it again, does anybody have a legacy site they can copy the link from the address bar while in the bulk editor?
    pilotdave posted the url here.

I tried it last night. The link still works but unfortunately when you click save to finish it takes you to a "page not found". The updates did happen, just leaves you in a bad spot.

--- Denise
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    I can no longer view all of my captions and keywords for any given gallery on one page. Given that some of my galleries are quite large this represents a major loss in functionality for me. Is viewing and editing the captions and keywords for each image in a gallery on one page no longer possible?

Is this all part of the smugmug "improvement" that happened a few days ago?

This is a major, major disappointment and adds incredible time to caption a photo gallery. I have to do it one photo (one window) at a time!?!?!?!?!?! C'mon. That is ridiculous!

The old functionality allowed me to have an entire gallery open and add captions/keywords to each photo in a continuous stream without having to click and open each photo individually.

I have long been a Smugmug defender, but even I am losing faith based on the so called "improvements".

I hate, hate the additional work that this change has forced upon me!
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    pilotdave posted the url here.

I tried it last night. The link still works but unfortunately when you click save to finish it takes you to a "page not found". The updates did happen, just leaves you in a bad spot.

--- Denise

Thanks, this feature is now available in the extension version 0.3.5, which you should be able to install from the Chrome Web Store in about 20 minutes time, as it is currently undergoing automatic review (or Chrome should eventually auto-update you to it if you already have it installed):

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unofficial-smugmug-extens/acobflahofemoblocddilbgnokclnphd

You now should see a menu option appear to "bulk-edit photo details" when you click the "SM" icon in the address bar. It also fixes the problem you mentioned with the "page not found" problem.

I'm also working on re-implementing that old bulk editing tool inside the extension, so we'll still have it when Legacy disappears (and adds the ability to edit the title), though it's only about 20% done so far:

y5ECL0xh.png
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    Thanks, this feature is now available in the extension version 0.3.5, which you should be able to install from the Chrome Web Store in about 20 minutes time, as it is currently undergoing automatic review (or Chrome should eventually auto-update you to it if you already have it installed)...
    Thanks, much appreciated!

I'll try this when I get home this evening.

--- Denise
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 23, 2014
    Thanks, this feature is now available in the extension version 0.3.5, which you should be able to install from the Chrome Web Store in about 20 minutes time, as it is currently undergoing automatic review (or Chrome should eventually auto-update you to it if you already have it installed):

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unofficial-smugmug-extens/acobflahofemoblocddilbgnokclnphd

You now should see a menu option appear to "bulk-edit photo details" when you click the "SM" icon in the address bar. It also fixes the problem you mentioned with the "page not found" problem.

I'm also working on re-implementing that old bulk editing tool inside the extension, so we'll still have it when Legacy disappears (and adds the ability to edit the title), though it's only about 20% done so far:

y5ECL0xh.png
    Yes, major thanks! It could be great to be able to point people to this who prefer the old tool.

As an update to the new tool, which has its quirks, we're adding some keyboard shortcuts such as command-s to save and return control to the images where you can cursor between them. We're experimenting with the enter key to then bring up the keyword panel once you cursor to the image you want.

None of these are promises because we want to see how people use them and whether we can get them to work across browsers under all conditions. There is an argument for the tab key to activate the keyword panel to the right and whether that's more in line with user expectations than the enter key. And there is the question about whichever convention we choose, sticking to it on other parts of the site and not making this tool work one way and others work another.

It sounds like this group is set on the old tool and the browser extension, but if you are interested in the new tool and have useful feedback beside "sidestand on a tank" trolling, I'd love to hear it.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    I just opened edit for a photo that had no keywords yet. On the KW edit page it gave me no clue what KW's were
    used already in the gallery. I typed in "e" but the suggestion list was completely irrelevant of the gallery or
    anything close to what I was looking for. I would of thought it would give me a list of all keywords starting
    with the letter "e" but none of the suggestions started with it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    It sounds like this group is set on the old tool and the browser extension, but if you are interested in the new tool and have useful feedback beside "sidestand on a tank" trolling, I'd love to hear it.

Just to be clear, I am not "set" on the old tool per se. However, taking you at your word that you'd love to hear constructive feedback...

My feedback (hopefully useful and based on a career in software development) is that if it takes more clicks to accomplish a task than it used to take then it is a move in the wrong direction. In addition, if the workflow is more visually disruptive than it used to be then it is a move in the wrong direction.

The process should become easier over time, not more difficult.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    I just opened edit for a photo that had no keywords yet. On the KW edit page it gave me no clue what KW's were used already in the gallery. I typed in "e" but the suggestion list was completely irrelevant of the gallery or anything close to what I was looking for. I would of thought it would give me a list of all keywords starting with the letter "e" but none of the suggestions started with it.

I don't use keywords much personally, but I can easily see how the functionality you expected to see would be very useful and very helpful.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014

y5ECL0xh.png

This looks promising (though I'd rather the desired functionality reside within SM directly of course).

I have a few questions:
    Q1. I assume that this will only work with the Chrome browser. True?
    Q2. Have you seen difficulties / glitches when the browser software is updated?
    Q3. I assume this works with the "new" SM vs Legacy. True?
  • Options
    Djm3006Djm3006 Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    My 2 cents, why don't you do ALL you keywording before you upload to SM, I use Aperture/lightroom and do all that before uploading.
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014

y5ECL0xh.png
    I am not seeing "bulk-edit photo details" when I click the "SM" icon in the address bar. ne_nau.gif

I'm not seeing any of the "Just this page" tools either.

OK I got it now... I was trying to pull down the menu from my homepage and not a gallery...
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    Djm3006 wrote: »
    My 2 cents, why don't you do ALL you keywording before you upload to SM, I use Aperture/lightroom and do all that before uploading.

With keywords I could do that. My issues are with captioning.

I upload my vacation photos, then put them in a good sequence to tell a story, then I caption them.
  • Options
    Djm3006Djm3006 Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    GaryBakker wrote: »
    With keywords I could do that. My issues are with captioning.

I upload my vacation photos, then put them in a good sequence to tell a story, then I caption them.

I also caption in Aperture, then if I have to put them in a sequence I will move them around in the Organize section of SM, it's a work flow I use to save time as my online time can be limited when traveling.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    I'm also working on re-implementing that old bulk editing tool inside the extension, so we'll still have it when Legacy disappears (and adds the ability to edit the title), though it's only about 20% done so far ...]
    Thanks a million Nicholas! I've moved back to Chrome as my default browser so I can take advantage of your good work.
    Yes, major thanks! It could be great to be able to point people to this who prefer the old tool.
    This isn't merely the old tool, and you know it, Baldy! It will have a major enhancement in that it will enable bulk-editing of the image titles introduced in new SmugMug - something you guys appear to strenuously oppose while refusing to say why!

There's something very sad about the brave new future of SmugMug, despite all the tremendous improvements it has undoubtedly delivered in the last 12 months, increasingly living cocooned in its internal meetings so disconnected from the real needs of real users, while one man at the opposite end of the earth can just get on and do what needs to be done.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    Djm3006 wrote: »
    I also caption in Aperture, then if I have to put them in a sequence I will move them around in the Organize section of SM, it's a work flow I use to save time as my online time can be limited when traveling.

I am also an Aperture user. I will re-examine my own workflow now that SM is making photo captioning more difficult. Maybe Aperture is an alternative approach.

And while I hate to be THAT guy who always comes up with an dark-cloud objection to every silver-lining suggestion, I have been doing a lot of scanning of negatives of "film camera" vacations/trips recently. The photos I end up uploading to SM are not even close to being in the right order so it would be difficult for me to caption them before moving them around in SM. (ie-there is no date stamp on the resultant photos and my strips of negatives, well, I'm lucky if I can get the right ones much less get them in the right order).

And to explain a bit further, my captions are not mostly "this is John Doe" or "this is at Location X". I essentially write a story that flows from photo to photo in my captions.

Thanks for your input Djm3006.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014

Woo hoo!!! I downloaded this extension and it works beautifully.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love this! It is exactly what I need to do my captioning work efficiently.

PS -- New Zealand is my very favorite place in the entire world. Would you mind sharing where in NZ you are located?
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    GaryBakker wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I am not "set" on the old tool per se. However, taking you at your word that you'd love to hear constructive feedback...

My feedback (hopefully useful and based on a career in software development) is that if it takes more clicks to accomplish a task than it used to take then it is a move in the wrong direction. In addition, if the workflow is more visually disruptive than it used to be then it is a move in the wrong direction.

The process should become easier over time, not more difficult.
    Yes, we agree completely and having, for example, to reach for the mouse each time to save is really annoying. Comments with real substance like this are good for everyone, because we can focus on streamlining and reducing clicks.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    There's something very sad about the brave new future of SmugMug, despite all the tremendous improvements it has undoubtedly delivered in the last 12 months, increasingly living cocooned in its internal meetings so disconnected from the real needs of real users, while one man at the opposite end of the earth can just get on and do what needs to be done.
    W.W., what's changed is we came under a lot of fire for not considering all of our customers, but being driven by subsets.

To correct that, we do outbound calls of random selections of customers. 3 months ago we surveyed 1,700 of our customers extensively with a long, quantitative survey. And over the last few weeks we did a lot of focus groups and one-on-ones of customers who came in here. I sat through many of them and watched tapes of the others. There isn't a day when I don't talk to customers.

But maybe most important, we instrumented the site to watch patterns of behavior to understand people who won't post on dgrin, don't contact the support desk, have no interest in participating in a focus group, etc. That numbers in the millions of people, the vast majority.

Do I still care about the dozens who are in this thread? Absolutely, or I wouldn't be spending so much time reading through the comments. But when Allen characterizes himself as a 40-year veteran of the computer industry who is willing to do browser searches in text fields and only thinks in terms of logic, I have to put that in context of how many customers we have like that (perhaps .01% of our users). Don't get me wrong, I love having Allen, but I can't say to hundreds of thousands of customers using these tools that I listened closely to Allen and he likes browser search and copy so you should too.

But let's ask ourselves what happens when someone like bigbenwillywill braves the trolls and posts in a thread like this that he likes the changes and thinks they are well thought out, he gets ignored by....you. But I can't ignore him, so I messaged him to ask what he likes and what annoys him.

What I'm really asking for is specific use cases, things you like and don't and why, not just "you don't listen anymore," something I spend most of my days doing.