Options

My homepage all but disappeared

PlumbLocoPlumbLoco Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited October 22, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Went to my homepage this evening, Saturday 19th October, and it has all but disappeared...

All that's left is my logo and a couple of blocks of text - there is no profile, no folders to browse, no slideshow, no recent pictures block, no popular pictures block, no means of navigation, no breadcrumb, so presumably, no viewers either.

I can log-in and then everything appears as per normal - on checking my stats the viewing figures have plummeted today. I can organize - upload photos etc, I can customize as I've just reset my slide show to random which works a treat until I log-out when everything disappears again.

I can enter text in the search box whilst logged out and photos appear and from that screen I can click on browse and the folders appear, but on clicking the homepage button I just get the almost empty page.

I've emailed support but so far not had a reply (it wasn't long ago), does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

My site can be found at: http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/ though at the moment you won't see much.

Thanks,

Geoff Plumb

Comments

• Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2013
    Same here. Looks like they're "fixing" stuff again.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2013
    Come on, SM, this is unacceptable, you need to fix this pronto!

Screenshot of homepage when logged out:

nocontentonhomepage-O.jpg

It should look like this logged-in screenshot:

loggedinhomepage-O.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Heroes contacted ~11 hours ago, no unautomated response so far. Case #: 560330
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 20, 2013
    Geoff, I checked your site this morning and it is working for me logged out at this time.

Beardedgit, I am still seeing problems with your site. I have your email case and will reply soon. It appears something is wrong with the design you are using as it works when I pick a different design. We will need to dig more to figure out what is happening.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    docwalker wrote: »
    Beardedgit, I am still seeing problems with your site. I have your email case and will reply soon. It appears something is wrong with the design you are using as it works when I pick a different design. We will need to dig more to figure out what is happening.
    Cheers, Doc.

FWIW, I've not changed the design here for months. Which design did you get it to work with?

Oh, and I just had a look at Geoff's homepage and it still looks incomplete to me.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 20, 2013
    I just switched it to the SmugMug design and it worked.

I see now that Geoff's other content blocks are missing. I was fooled by his header image etc showing. I am going to get some more attention on this and get back with you once I know more.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    pgmanpgman Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    docwalker wrote: »
    Geoff, I checked your site this morning and it is working for me logged out at this time.

I'm having the same problem with http://photos.foto-biz.com and Case #: 560399

The home page is almost gone, there's just the logo, but it's all there if I log in. I wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with permission on some objects.

Thanks

Syv
    Thanks
    http://www.sritch.com
    The Dogs of Vancouver, BC
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Hi, thanks for the various posts above - whilst it is of no comfort to anyone, at least I'm not alone...

As well as this thread I'm Case #: 560279 so hopefully the combined efforts of various heroes will be able to come up with a solution.

The situation is still the same today - just my logo and two sets of text - not a great deal of good for those trying to view the site and how long might it take before people lose interest and don't bother even trying to view?

Is there any way of SmugMug adding a statement to the homepage to say the site is faulty and that a solution is being sought and normal service will be resumed ASAP?

Even if it is due to a design issue, why should this suddenly present a problem when the design used has worked perfectly since the new site was unveiled?

A site run by a friend in Portugal also has the same issue - an almost blank homepage and nowhere to go: http://trains.smugmug.com/

This site uses the same design as my own (Isis) - is that coincidental or are all Isis designs now not working?

Sorry, a lot of questions there but obviously this needs to be sorted out quickly...

Cheers,

Geoff
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    PlumbLoco wrote: »
    This site uses the same design as my own (Isis) - is that coincidental or are all Isis designs now not working?
    I'm using a design based on the SmugMug design, so it's not only Isis that's affected.

I'm confident that Doc and his QA team can get this sorted thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Thanks beardedgit, just wondered if the Isis design had developed a glitch.

I have just logged into my site and added a bit of text into one of the blocks that does appear on the now sparse homepage to explain that the site is not working at the moment and that SmugMug are working on the problem, so at least viewers will know that all is not well for the time being...

Cheers, Geoff
  • Options
    wdbrnbwdbrnb Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2013
    PlumbLoco wrote: »
    Thanks beardedgit, just wondered if the Isis design had developed a glitch.

I have just logged into my site and added a bit of text into one of the blocks that does appear on the now sparse homepage to explain that the site is not working at the moment and that SmugMug are working on the problem, so at least viewers will know that all is not well for the time being...

Cheers, Geoff

I am having same issue immediately after sending event emails to participants. I've tried safari, firefox and chrome and all that shows is part of the logo. If I log into my account it looks fine.

PLEASE HELP
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    FWIW, another case has been reported at http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=242091
  • Options
    brooks461brooks461 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    Ditto - my homepage disappears for viewers
    Why has my homepage lost its photos and links? My viewers can't see anything except some text. When I log in, it looks normal and it works, but my viewers are asking for my password so they can get to my photos. I am out of the country and traveling. My viewers are not able to follow along.

If I give a link to a certain folder, it sometimes works. Why would that be?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Missing Features on Homepage
    Here's my so-called homepage, mostly empty. Help!

http://brooks461.smugmug.com

I am using Safari on my iPad; friend uses Firefox on an Android tablet, with the same results: missing features on homepage.

(Sorry about the autocorrect issues on my first entry. My homepage is missing photos and links. All that appears is the opening text. All appears normal when I sign in, though my viewers see little.)
  • Options
    TheDeepTheDeep Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    My homepage content is not there either!
    Today, now, when I am logged into smugmug I can see my homepage content (folders, menu), but when I log out or any client goes there, it only shows my logo, the background image and a facebook and twitter button. This couldn't have happened at a worse time! Please fix it!
  • Options
    pgmanpgman Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    The problem was solved for me by the tech support (this seems to be: one more up than the heroes). I had:
    second breadcrumb content element

The guy didn't know what that was, neither do I, but it's fixed.

Thank you to everybody involved

Syv
    Thanks
    http://www.sritch.com
    The Dogs of Vancouver, BC
  • Options
    The MechanicThe Mechanic Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    Hello Dgrinners,

I am very sorry to hear about your SmugMug Sites not loading correctly. It looks like there is a problem with the breadcrumbs on your site, specifically the homepage.

If you remove the breadcrumbs from your "Entire Site" and "Homepage" areas of your customizer at this time, this will get your homepage back online. Basically if the breadcrumbs affects your homepage it is causing an error on the page. We are aware of the problem and working on a solution for you.

You can add your breadcrumbs to the "All Pages" , "All Folders" or "All Galleries" locations in your Customizer if you still need breadcrumbs on the remaining portions of your site.

I hope this will help you along today as we work on a correction for this error.

Thanks -Scott
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Thanks for the reply, Scott, I'll follow your advice about re-jigging where I put my breadcrumbs while we wait for a fix.

Any idea why it's suddenly a cause of grief?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    The "All Galleries" advice was a doddle to follow, but adding a breadcrumb to "All Folders" isn't going to work for me - all of my folders are custom, so they all need the breadcrumb adding individually.

Yet again I'm wasting my time having to clear up after somebody else's slapdash work.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    The "All Galleries" advice was a doddle to follow, but adding a breadcrumb to "All Folders" is a right royal PITA - all of my folders are custom, so they all need the breadcrumb adding individually.

Yet again I'm wasting my time having to clear up after somebody else's slapdash work.
    Just the opposite.
    Add it to "all folders". All folders including custom ones will also get it so you'll have to remove from
    the custom pages you don't want it on.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Just the opposite.
    Add it to "all folders". All folders including custom ones will also get it so you'll have to remove from
    the custom pages you don't want it on.
    Nope, I added it to "All Folders" and it only shows on non-custom folders. Definitely not there on custom Folders.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Nope, I added it to "All Folders" and it only shows on non-custom folders. Definitely not there on custom Folders.
    When I go to one of my custom folders.
    highlight "Just this Folder" > no breadcrumb
    highlight "all folders" > breadcrumb shows.

So I've remove the breadcrumb with "Just this Folder" highlighted.
    Customizing any page (Just This) everything in the "alls" will show unless you remove them with "Just this Folder" highlighted.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    When I go to one of my custom folders.
    highlight "Just this Folder" > no breadcrumb
    highlight "all folders" > breadcrumb shows.
    Yup, did that. Exactly, no deviation from what you say.
    Here's a custom folder - http://beardedgit.smugmug.com/Fellwalking/Day-Walks - there's no breadcrumb.

Before the glitch I had the breadcrumb in "Entire Site"... back then it did do what you say, because "Entire Site" meant just that - it included custom folders. "All Folders" doesn't currently mean "All Folders", it currently means "All non-Custom Folders".
  • Options
    The MechanicThe Mechanic Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2013
    Hi beardedgit,

I am not sure of the customizations on your site. However, you should almost always build your site for the majority and edit for the minority. This will minimize the amount of customizations you will need to do on your site. In this case, you can add the breadcrumb to all folders, and in the case where you need to remove it, you can remove it with css. Otherwise you can do the reverse and add it to only the folder specifically where you want it by editing this folder only.

Here is the css to remove it:

.sm-breadcrumb {
    display: none;
    }

I hope this will help you along.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Yup, did that. Exactly, no deviation from what you say.
    Here's a custom folder - http://beardedgit.smugmug.com/Fellwalking/Day-Walks - there's no breadcrumb.
    Does the breadcrumb show if you highlight "all folders"? If so you had removed it with "just this folder" highlighted.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Folks, give me a minute and I'll post some screenshots.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    Here you go...

"Just This Folder" setting:

justfolder-O.jpg

"All Folders" setting:

allfolders-O.jpg

Result:

result-O.jpg

Ergo, "All Folders" doesn't include Custom Folders. At least, it doesn't for me on my site.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    The breadcrumb is there for "all folders". You removed it for "Just this Folder".
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2013
    You removed it for "Just this Folder".
    ne_nau.gif I don't recall ever doing that for one folder, let alone for all of them ne_nau.gif

Anyway, please accept my genuine thanks for your help and time. I've wasted enough of mine on this mess. On Friday it was working fine, on Saturday it was borked, on Sunday we're doing workarounds and tomorrow I'm going to scrub all breadcrumbs until I can get back to having just the one block in "Entire Site". The day after, if there's no fix, I'll be reconsidering whether I want to stay with an outfit that breaks perfectly-good stuff in the name of progress.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2013
    Home Page Fixed
    This is a thank you to the Smugmug magicians. All fixed.