Options

[Completed] Guestbook comments

Comments

• Options
    DJDigitalDaveDJDigitalDave Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    When I signed up for Smugmug in 2004, it was for one simple reason: The ability to customize my website to my heart's content. The deal was, Smugmug would provide image hosting and image display functionality, and I would design my own website on top of that. I could choose to use Smugmug's various templates, I could choose to modify those, or I could choose to essentially build something from scratch on top of Smugmug's core functionality. I hated that all the other photo-hosting options at the time were forcing ads, mandatory site-registration and print-purchasing down the throats of anyone who simply wanted to view my photos. Smugmug was the antidote to all that and that was explicitly what I signed up for.

Now, on top of some core site-design tools (javasript, iframes) that have been unilaterally taken away, Smugmug has deigned to decide for me that if anyone wants to post a comment on MY website, they have to login via Facebook. This is precisely the kind of thing that turned me off from all the other photo-hosting websites in the first place.

I sympathize with anyone that has had to see nasty comments posted on their websites, particularly about children, but the functionality has always existed to turn commenting on or off on any smugmug-hosted site. I really don't appreciate the attitude that Smugmug knows what's best for MY website. As others have noted, we are all capable or taking responsibility for the decisions we make about what we post on our own websites and how we choose to manage comments posted therein and I resent being punished for other's inability or unwillingness to do so.

Seems like this is the same attitude Smugmug is applying to the deprecation of the use of javascript: Some customers can't deal with the fact that back-end updates to Smugmug can break their javascript, or complain to the help desk because of their own typos in their own code, so Smugmug has taken away javascript away from everyone.

All I know is that at this point I ain't getting from Smugmug what I thought I was paying for. I wish Smugmug would just focus on the efficiency of the core functionality of their photo-hosting and commerce portal and let their customers take responsibility for the design of their own websites. We are quite capable of deciding for ourselves what components of Smugmug's core functionality we want (or don't want) to use on our own websites and we should certainly be able to determine what additional functionality we'd like to add on top. I thought that was the whole point of Smugmug.
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    when i signed up for smugmug in 2004, it was for one simple reason: The ability to customize my website to my heart's content. The deal was, smugmug would provide image hosting and image display functionality, and i would design my own website on top of that. I could choose to use smugmug's various templates, i could choose to modify those, or i could choose to essentially build something from scratch on top of smugmug's core functionality. I hated that all the other photo-hosting options at the time were forcing ads, mandatory site-registration and print-purchasing down the throats of anyone who simply wanted to view my photos. Smugmug was the antidote to all that and that was explicitly what i signed up for.

Now, on top of some core site-design tools (javasript, iframes) that have been unilaterally taken away, smugmug has deigned to decide for me that if anyone wants to post a comment on my website, they have to login via facebook. This is precisely the kind of thing that turned me off from all the other photo-hosting websites in the first place.

I sympathize with anyone that has had to see nasty comments posted on their websites, particularly about children, but the functionality has always existed to turn commenting on or off on any smugmug-hosted site. I really don't appreciate the attitude that smugmug knows what's best for my website. As others have noted, we are all capable or taking responsibility for the decisions we make about what we post on our own websites and how we choose to manage comments posted therein and i resent being punished for other's inability or unwillingness to do so.

Seems like this is the same attitude smugmug is applying to the deprecation of the use of javascript: Some customers can't deal with the fact that back-end updates to smugmug can break their javascript, or complain to the help desk because of their own typos in their own code, so smugmug has taken away javascript away from everyone.

All i know is that at this point i ain't getting from smugmug what i thought i was paying for. I wish smugmug would just focus on the efficiency of the core functionality of their photo-hosting and commerce portal and let their customers take responsibility for the design of their own websites. We are quite capable of deciding for ourselves what components of smugmug's core functionality we want (or don't want) to use on our own websites and we should certainly be able to determine what additional functionality we'd like to add on top. I thought that was the whole point of smugmug.

+1
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    DougGDougG Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Andy wrote: »

Thanks, Andy.
    This has been very helpful!
  • Options
    SergeBerrardVisualsSergeBerrardVisuals Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    When I signed up for Smugmug in 2004, it was for one simple reason: The ability to customize my website to my heart's content. The deal was, Smugmug would provide image hosting and image display functionality, and I would design my own website on top of that. I could choose to use Smugmug's various templates, I could choose to modify those, or I could choose to essentially build something from scratch on top of Smugmug's core functionality. I hated that all the other photo-hosting options at the time were forcing ads, mandatory site-registration and print-purchasing down the throats of anyone who simply wanted to view my photos. Smugmug was the antidote to all that and that was explicitly what I signed up for.

Now, on top of some core site-design tools (javasript, iframes) that have been unilaterally taken away, Smugmug has deigned to decide for me that if anyone wants to post a comment on MY website, they have to login via Facebook. This is precisely the kind of thing that turned me off from all the other photo-hosting websites in the first place.

I sympathize with anyone that has had to see nasty comments posted on their websites, particularly about children, but the functionality has always existed to turn commenting on or off on any smugmug-hosted site. I really don't appreciate the attitude that Smugmug knows what's best for MY website. As others have noted, we are all capable or taking responsibility for the decisions we make about what we post on our own websites and how we choose to manage comments posted therein and I resent being punished for other's inability or unwillingness to do so.

Seems like this is the same attitude Smugmug is applying to the deprecation of the use of javascript: Some customers can't deal with the fact that back-end updates to Smugmug can break their javascript, or complain to the help desk because of their own typos in their own code, so Smugmug has taken away javascript away from everyone.

All I know is that at this point I ain't getting from Smugmug what I thought I was paying for. I wish Smugmug would just focus on the efficiency of the core functionality of their photo-hosting and commerce portal and let their customers take responsibility for the design of their own websites. We are quite capable of deciding for ourselves what components of Smugmug's core functionality we want (or don't want) to use on our own websites and we should certainly be able to determine what additional functionality we'd like to add on top. I thought that was the whole point of Smugmug.

+1 and SM letting people working hard in a no way direction until the new system announcement… is very loyal and respectful isn't it ?
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Thank you for bringing up this idea of allowing people to "opt out". Now that's a real hero, when you're hearing ideas and willing to truly pass them along with your added clout. I understand SmugMug's dilemma and do believe they have integrity and internet safety in mind. And of course I would hate to see a disgusting comment about anyone's children including my own, or really about anything. But honestly, I'd rather see a comment than be stuck with having barely any comments due to log-in restrictions. I know for sure it would cut my comments to a fraction of what they are now.

And think about this: If have the option of choosing to screen comments, and have that turned on, the really nasty stuff would even get filtered out of my email inbox by my email filters. So I doubt I'd get stuck seeing nasty stuff anyway, & therefore it would never get approved and be visible. At any rate, either some way to "opt out" of log-ins, or SmugMug simply encouraging screening but still giving people the option would be the best middle ground, imho. I will state again that comments, for me, aren't just some ego-boost. Sure, those may be nice, but the comments that have been so useful to me, with the type of photography I do, are a completely different type. In the last month I've had 2 people help me identify plants/trees correctly, and I've often had family info or addresses or answers to questions I put in my captions. Those are the comments that I'd really hate to lose, either in the old or the new SmugMug. People who are already taking time to give you information when they don't need to are unlikely to deal with log-ins, and I don't really know anyone who wants to log-in using FB anymore. I myself would never do that.

My opinion is to allow an option for comment screening in lieu of forcing a login. Maybe three options if keeping it wide open is allowed.

(Regarding disallowing open commenting, I suspect that there is some liability exposure that SM is anxious to avoid.)

Failing that, is there a way to suppress the comment container? I rarely get comments from friends and family (who are the only ones who visit my site). But when they do, they will be very turned off by having to login (assuming they have a FB account, which is only really true for my kid's generation).
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    I do think, having read through some of the comments here, that a dash of realpolitik wouldn't go amiss. People say unpleasant things to me all the time, and occasionally I say, deliberately, some unpleasant things to others. It's part of life - we are human! There does seem to be some technological-determinism going on here - we can use technology to stop comments therefore we will!

The internet allows for some degree of anonymity, and as such, people who like bad-mouthing others can do so in relative safety. Would they make those comments if they were standing in front of you and you were 6ft tall and well-built?

If someone makes critical comments of a personal nature (rather than about your photography) then there are ways of dealing with it. I think the default is you should be able to say what you want provided it doesn't break the law. A comment is so subjective, both in content and intention, that to make classified distinctions is impossible. If, for example someone posts a portrait shot and the model had some small skin blemishes (spots) someone might suggest they were cloned out. What's wrong with that? The commentator is making a point about the photography editing process, not a personal statement about the model.

As for children, they don't really have the power to respond. So if you post images of children (probably your kids) then you are taking responsibility for that posting on their behalf (even if you asked them).

As for Facebook... I'm like Hermann Goering who said "When I hear the word culture, I reach for my revolver." But with me it's "when I hear the word Facebook..." :D
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013

15524779-Ti.gif 100%. It's my site & I control what content is posted & removed - period. Thank You elegantly writing what many of us are thinking....
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013

Well said and agree. This should never be an issue for the business level. Maybe even the professional level.
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    +1 and SM letting people working hard in a no way direction until the new system announcement… is very loyal and respectful isn't it ?

I have to agree with this too. I'd just implemented various coding changes as had many others. I understand the reasons for secrecy, but it would've been cool to at least advise us to not tinker with customization until the new system is released due to potential conflicts. Much better to be on hold and curious then find out your recent late night, 3hrs of sleep work for days was for nothing. Or that those that paid for customization just lost that money. I've seen a Smugger complain that paid $700. Bummer.

• Options
    whoalsewhoalse Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2013

Take note, Baldy and all Smugmug Heroes.....!!
    We want the comments back as well as many of the Javascript functions....Are you listening?
    We decide what we want.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    whoALSE => Allen
    One form of time travel is thru Captured Moments
  • Options
    whoalsewhoalse Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    How about we put to a vote to force you to resign, zacHero? I think Hero is not appropriate for you, Villain is!

Sick of all this $h!t that Smugmug has to force us as paying customers to deal with the limitations of SM has now. All these customisation bull-craps are just words....! Bring back JS and we'll call that full customisations.
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Last time I will say anything about this this... Think of the worst possible thing someone could say about one of your children. Now imagine the comment to be 10 times worse. Would you even want to see it?

I'm all for leaving the system as is, but also letting you guys "opt out" of the forced login for comments. This was suggested earlier in the thread. I'm going to bring that up to our product developers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    whoALSE => Allen
    One form of time travel is thru Captured Moments
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2013
    Do you guys want to backup and save your comments? I was browsing and found this solution tonight:

1. Go to your account settings menu.
    2. Click 'stats' in lower left side.
    3. Click 'comments' (second option down on the right)
    4. Click 'all comments'.

This shows all your gallery and photo comments on one page. Assuming the new system behaved. Mine are all there. Woot! :D
    SmugMug Irony: There's also a 'require comment approval ' option. Hint. Hint. HINT! ;)

Edited August 6th, 2013 to clarify:

This tip is mostly for backup purposes, not to show the comments to the public. Just to clarify. I'm sorry for any confusion. I wanted everyone to remember a way to back up comments just in case.

For me, when I added the 'comments' content block to my site, it took a few days, but a comment that was on my legacy site was back on this 'new' SmugMug.

Here is a link showing where I'd copied over a comment to a gallery years ago. It's visible for me:
    http://soulgazephotography.smugmug.com/Infrared/Nikon/NikonD40

Here is a link showing a photo that had recent comments right before the 'new' SmugMug:
    http://soulgazephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Flora/Fall-2012/i-rHChkm7/A
    IF the comments don't pop-up, click the 'comment' icon in the bottom corner.

So for me, moving the content block into the 'all galleries' (blue box) brought back the gallery and photo comments, at least for me. Good luck! :D

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Hey everyone!

Thank you for having a good, honest, and respectful discussion about this. I have this on my list to bring up with the product team. Please be patient however. We are really busting our tails. The product is brand new and will evolve over time. This is literally just the beginning.

Reminder, if the comments are a deal breaker for you right now, you have SmugMug legacy to use for quite a while.

This weekend, I am going to be cleaning out our feedback library. I really want to bring this awesome tool back, after I have a chance to clean up all of the duplicates and issues that were resolved with this release.

But, I have gone ahead and created this issue for you. Go ahead and vote! The product team WILL be looking :)

http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/4262376-remove-smugmug-facebook-log-in-requirements-for-co
  • Options
    SergeBerrardVisualsSergeBerrardVisuals Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Do you guys want to backup and save your comments? I was browsing and found this solution tonight:

1. Go to your account settings menu.
    2. Click 'stats' in lower left side.
    3. Click 'comments' (second option down on the right)
    4. Click 'all comments'.

This shows all your gallery and photo comments on one page. Assuming the new system behaved. Mine are all there. Woot! :D
    SmugMug Irony: There's also a 'require comment approval ' option. Hint. Hint. HINT! ;)
    excellent reminder in these tough times ^^ Thank you !
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Ok, I vote that there be multiple methods for comments. Login if we want it, Approval before posting if we want it, unrestricted posting if we want it, Gallery comments, photo comments. Let us decide the level of risk we want to take. Place something in your Agreement of Services that we, the site owners, take full responsibility for our comment usage and indemnify SmugMug from any issues arising from our comment setup. Same language can be at the place we select our comment type. Fair?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

Thank you for having a good, honest, and respectful discussion about this. I have this on my list to bring up with the product team. Please be patient however. We are really busting our tails. The product is brand new and will evolve over time. This is literally just the beginning.

Reminder, if the comments are a deal breaker for you right now, you have SmugMug legacy to use for quite a while.

This weekend, I am going to be cleaning out our feedback library. I really want to bring this awesome tool back, after I have a chance to clean up all of the duplicates and issues that were resolved with this release.

But, I have gone ahead and created this issue for you. Go ahead and vote! The product team WILL be looking :)

http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/4262376-remove-smugmug-facebook-log-in-requirements-for-co

Done. Thanks!
  • Options
    McQMcQ Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Please add my vote for supporting Google logins.

I won't use Facebook and many of my followers don't use either Facebook or Smug. I'm a bit surprised that the only social media site you are supporting is Facebook given that I know I'm not alone in my non-use of that site.

--- Denise

+1 for the above. Count my vote for this as well.
    "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you?"

http://mcq.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2013
    Hey everyone!

Thank you for considering our feedback. I can imagine the current to-do list is quite lengthy, so much appreciated. I look forward to the new improvements and updates.

Thanks for taking time to create the feedback suggestion. I voted! :D

• Options
    edited August 4, 2013
    excellent reminder in these tough times ^^ Thank you !
    You're welcome! I'd hoped this would ease the worry some had regarding lost comments.

• Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 5, 2013
    Okay, what I discussed earlier should now be functioning. Please let me know if that helps solve the problem or not and any ways we can further improve it.

The discussion about allowing anonymous comments or comments from other services is a separate issue that we'll continue to look at. It's a bit more complicated than people make it out to be though, as spam was a very difficult thing for both customers and us to deal with in the old commenting system.

Especially with comment notifications by email, it was hurting our email deliver-ability to be sending out those kind of emails and having them understandably be marked as spam by their recipients. It's on our minds, but there are good reasons that most major websites are now requiring some form of login or authentication to leave comments. CAPTCHA just doesn't cut it.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    Okay, what I discussed earlier should now be functioning. Please let me know if that helps solve the problem or not and any ways we can further improve it.

The discussion about allowing anonymous comments or comments from other services is a separate issue that we'll continue to look at. It's a bit more complicated than people make it out to be though, as spam was a very difficult thing for both customers and us to deal with in the old commenting system.

Especially with comment notifications by email, it was hurting our email deliver-ability to be sending out those kind of emails and having them understandably be marked as spam by their recipients. It's on our minds, but there are good reasons that most major websites are now requiring some form of login or authentication to leave comments. CAPTCHA just doesn't cut it.

Excellent! I see comments on my photo galleries!
    I have created a GUEST BOOK page to replace my GUEST BOOK gallery. I want to stay with the page, but haven't discovered how to MOVE comments. Can you point me in the right direction?
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 5, 2013
    DougG wrote: »
    Excellent! I see comments on my photo galleries!
    I have created a GUEST BOOK page to replace my GUEST BOOK gallery. I want to stay with the page, but haven't discovered how to MOVE comments. Can you point me in the right direction?

Sorry, what it does currently is pull in the comments from the old gallery. You can do that in the settings for the Comments content block. We hope we'll be able to actually allow you to move them over permanently, so you can delete your old gallery and be done with it, but this should be a temporary solution.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Not seeing the gallery comments yet. I've reorganized my gallery structure on the new (unveiled) site, would that prevent the old comments from finding the gallery?
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    Sorry, what it does currently is pull in the comments from the old gallery. You can do that in the settings for the Comments content block. We hope we'll be able to actually allow you to move them over permanently, so you can delete your old gallery and be done with it, but this should be a temporary solution.

Perfect! I just copied over the comments from my old GUEST BOOK gallery! I marked the legacy gallery as "unlisted" when I "unveiled" my new site, so though it might be nice to get rid of it, it is not visible to my guests, and therefore not a worry to me!

I am really happy to be on my new SmugMug site and "customization-free".

Thanks, Sheaf! Take a bow on behalf of all the heroes! wings.gif
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    raebrown wrote: »
    Not seeing the gallery comments yet. I've reorganized my gallery structure on the new (unveiled) site, would that prevent the old comments from finding the gallery?

Rae, you need to actually drop the Comments Content Block onto your Guestbook Gallery.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Guest book comment dates
    Did what you suggested and now my Guest Book page shows my previous comments (for my site, not individual images or galleries which is ok 'cause that's what I wanted). I notice that the date the comments were entered are listed by each comment. Only, it just gives a Month and Day - No year. Was that intentional? I would like the whole date. Am I the only one?

Thank you all for getting comments up!
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Rae, you need to actually drop the Comments Content Block onto your Guestbook Gallery.

Thanks Michael! That brought in the old gallery comments. Need to leave comments turned on in the galleries as well so the old photo comments will display. Just means we have two blank comment boxes until the fix is permanent...I can certainly live with that.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator
    edited August 5, 2013
    Thanks Michael - I've added my vote.

I thought it was ironic that I could log in to vote with my Google account but I can't currently use that account to comment on a smug site.

--- Denise
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    I am glad the comments appeared on my guestbook page. Can I get rid of the slideshow button?

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013

I thought it was ironic that I could log in to vote with my Google account but I can't currently use that account to comment on a smug site.

--- Denise

Nice! thumb.gif