Options

Navigation Issue

RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
edited August 6, 2013 in SmugMug Support
I have one thing that is really giving me a hard time, and for the life of me I can't figure it out. In my old Legacy site, If I navigated to a gallery like this:

Galleries > Dog Agility 2013 > Event name > Gallery

I was able to get back to the main galleries page by simply clicking the "Galleries" in the breadcrumbs. Now, if I navigate to that same gallery in the new Smugmug, here is what I get:

Home > Dog Agility 2013 > Event name > Gallery

So if I want to return to my main gallery/folder page, I need to go back to my home page and re-enter the site, then the category, etc. This is a PITA and I can't find a way to fix it. I think it's because in my Legacy site, I actually have 2 "Home pages". One with my slide show, and the second with my gallery index. Is this making sense?

FWIW, I checked out a few of the new sites that people are posting up and it's the same for them. I guess they haven't noticed that.
A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    I can't believe nobody has noticed this yet. And BTW, just in case a Hero responds, don't tell me to just hit the "back" button on my browser. That's not an acceptable solution.

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    RKnecht wrote: »
    I can't believe nobody has noticed this yet. And BTW, just in case a Hero responds, don't tell me to just hit the "back" button on my browser. That's not an acceptable solution.

That's jfriend's javascript customization #1 (http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=135068). One of many that have become baseline functionality in the legacy system, but are not addressed in the new design.
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    BigRed wrote: »
    That's jfriend's javascript customization #1 (http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=135068). One of many that have become baseline functionality in the legacy system, but are not addressed in the new design.

You are correct. But there has to be a way around this. Trying to make a new page but I am having issues trying to link it correctly.

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    They have made customization a huge problem. I used to be able the target every sub-cat under a specific category
    for changes and now you have to do every page independently. At least I have not found a way. Or target a cat
    and have it flow down to every gallery.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    I just want the breadcrumbs to be able to go back to the "browse" page. I've seen lots of new sites that looks great, but each of those forces you to go to the home page and re-enter the site to get to the browse page. Why does the browse page disappear in the breadcrumbs?????? ARGH!

• Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Made a whole new page with the galleries I wanted and it still disappears in the breadcrumbs! C'mon man, why does the "browse" page disappear????

• Options
    AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    I just want the breadcrumbs to be able to go back to the "browse" page. I've seen lots of new sites that looks great, but each of those forces you to go to the home page and re-enter the site to get to the browse page. Why does the browse page disappear in the breadcrumbs?????? ARGH!

Are you saying that if you are browsing, the only way you can get back is via the homepage?

If I understand you correctly, mine works fine. I changed the name browse on my HP to galleries and placed all galleries into that folder. The routing on 'galleries' points to the galleries folder.

So if I go galleries, I get presented with numerous galleries. If I go into one of them and then click on 'browse' again, I go back to seeing all the galleries.

Not sure if I am making myself clear here, or confusing things further!
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Are you saying that if you are browsing, the only way you can get back is via the homepage?

If I understand you correctly, mine works fine. I changed the name browse on my HP to galleries and placed all galleries into that folder. The routing on 'galleries' points to the galleries folder.

So if I go galleries, I get presented with numerous galleries. If I go into one of them and then click on 'browse' again, I go back to seeing all the galleries.

Not sure if I am making myself clear here, or confusing things further!

The top link works fine. The problem lies in the breadcrumbs. The "browse" page disappears no matter what you call it.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Mine doesn't disappear. When I created it, I created it under 'whole site' or words to that effect. Could it be that you only have it on your homepage? I am guessing here!
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Can I see your site? The link in your signature goes nowhere.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    I have not unveiled it yet, but it is ready to go live. I am not sure how long it takes to unveil, but give me a few minutes.

Thanks for telling me about the signature. I think it is right now, but the site is www.apertureplus.com
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Should be up now
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Yes, yours works fine. But I have folders you click on, then the galleries. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I have ALOT of galleries so I need the folders.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    I think you should try to put the 'browse' link in at "entire site" level and see if that helps.
  • Options
    krashedmykarchkrashedmykarch Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Should be up now

Aperture, your suggestion worked perfectly. Perhaps the problem was not selecting the correct block (or globally, 'Entire Site') Once I understood that, the fog has thinned slightly. Oddly, on the customizing page the breadcrumb on my gallery page is >(my name) but on the preview page (I'm using two computers side-by-side with one just showing the preview page) the preview page shows the correct change I made and now is >Galleries (as u suggested) -of course you have to change the nav link to read galleries and change the url to select page, then load that 'folder' If I sound confusing -no kidding!

Now I cannot find how to

-create/rename new galleries,
    -find account settings,

Thanks for your good input.
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    www.charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    badams007badams007 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Page content disappearing
    I have everything all set to go, BUT, the information pages like "about me" etc look great when in "customize", but when I preview, they're empty.

Likewise, when I use the menu I put on the HP, the pages are empty...

WTF am I doing wrong? :hang
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Hmmm...I'm lost. No matter what I do, the "browse" page (which I renamed Gallery index), still disappears in the breadcrumbs as soon as I click on a folder.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Glad I could help someone Charles! I am fumbling around here too.

As for your 'how to'... if you go customise and then select the box around the breadcrumbs, you should be able to set the links from there (I think!)

I made a mistake when I revealed to Rich.. I hated the fact that all the images on the HP had watermarks on them (something that SM need to address), so I uploaded smaller versions of the images I wanted on the HP to a private folder and pointed the HP to collect these images.

It all looked great, until I revealed the page. As soon as I logged out, the HP images had disappeared, so I had to make this folder public.

Not the best way to do it!

Sorry Badams - that one has me stumped.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Rich I battled, but I think what I eventually did, was start from scratch, applying the template that I wanted to the entire site, changing the breadcrumbs as I needed them. I then renamed this style to something personal and then went to the 'all folders' tab on the right and applied my personal style to them as well as 'all galleries'.
  • Options
    hyahya Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2013
    The navigation is messed up for events too - once a client clicked into a gallery under an event, the breadcrumb reveals the gallery structure (e.g., Home > Cat 1 > Cat 2 > Gallery) with no way to get back into the Event besides the Back button. It should be Home > Event Name > Gallery
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Glad I could help someone Charles! I am fumbling around here too.

Thanks. I just left your site, very nice indeed. I just realized that I haven't even found the 'Organize' page (while in Customize Site) which is where a SM page says to start. That seems to be where you do a lot of ...dare I say it -Organize things? Where is that? How did I get this far without it?
    This link I'm finding helpful which was sent to me by Hero Tom. Hopefully it will help others.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1210628-customization-content
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    OK, tried redoing the whole thing. Guess what? The "browse" page (or whatever I name it) disappears from the breadcrumbs as soon as I click a gallery. Guess I'm sticking with my old site as that works just fine.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    OK, tried redoing the whole thing. Guess what? The "browse" page (or whatever I name it) disappears from the breadcrumbs as soon as I click a gallery. Guess I'm sticking with my old site as that works just fine.
    RK, did you go: Content/On All Folders/Breadcrumb/click on "wrench" icon/click on ON for "Show Current Page" and also ON for "Display Full Breadcrumb"?
    (Emphasize Current Page is the same as 'enlarge text strength' and is not attractive)
    Don't give up :)
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    RK, did you go: Content/On All Folders/Breadcrumb/click on "wrench" icon/click on ON for "Show Current Page" and also ON for "Display Full Breadcrumb"?
    (Emphasize Current Page is the same as 'enlarge text strength' and is not attractive)
    Don't give up :)

That's the first thing I tried ne_nau.gif It took me less time to add all the custom CSS and HTML to customize my old site than it is trying to figure this out. As easy as the new SM is to customize, this shouldn't be this hard.

• Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    That's the first thing I tried ne_nau.gif It took me less time to add all the custom CSS and HTML to customize my old site than it is trying to figure this out. As easy as the new SM is to customize, this shouldn't be this hard.

I did the same thing. My "browse" (that in itself is a lousy term in my opinion, but...whatever) leads to a list of "folders" then galleries. The breadcrumbs will not go back to that original "browse" page. The only solution I've found is to put a link on the navigation bar, but that's not exactly a good solution.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    Thanks. I just left your site, very nice indeed. I just realized that I haven't even found the 'Organize' page (while in Customize Site) which is where a SM page says to start. That seems to be where you do a lot of ...dare I say it -Organize things? Where is that? How did I get this far without it?
    This link I'm finding helpful which was sent to me by Hero Tom. Hopefully it will help others.

Charles did you find 'organize'? When you are not editing your site, it is the link directly to the left of 'customize'
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    I did the same thing. My "browse" (that in itself is a lousy term in my opinion, but...whatever) leads to a list of "folders" then galleries. The breadcrumbs will not go back to that original "browse" page. The only solution I've found is to put a link on the navigation bar, but that's not exactly a good solution.

The problem I have is that my customers have gotten used to the way my Legacy site works. It's simple, just follow the breadcrumbs. If I make the new site live, they will have no idea how to get back to the main page, although I know how to do it. I am not going to put a text box in with instructions on how to do this. That's just plain crazy. I've looked at a lot of new SM sites in the "Show us your site " thread, and they all do the same thing. I just can't believe nobody hasn't noticed this yet. I guess I'll just keep bumping this to the top until I get an answer. Until then, my new beautifyl site will lay in limbo in the qiucksand box.

• Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    That's just plain crazy. I've looked at a lot of new SM sites in the "Show us your site " thread, and they all do the same thing. I just can't believe nobody hasn't noticed this yet.

Agreed on all. My "solution" isn't a solution, it's making a mistake work, and not very well.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    Well, thanks to a Hero, I learned what the problem was. Apparently, the "browse" page is NOT a folder and therefore will NOT show up in the breadcrumbs. So, I had to create a new folder and drag all of my folders into that. I simply named the new folder galleries. Now I can fully navigate, via breadcrumbs, my site. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel after all.

• Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    Eh... that explains their design philosophy but it's flawed. You have to have a folder full of folders for the breadcrumb to show up? That's somewhat illogical...besides, it's contrary to what a breadcrumb should be.

I'd love to ditch the stupid "house" icon too but... one thing at a time.