Options

Thinking of getting Smugmug

GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
edited October 26, 2005 in SmugMug Support
2 questions

#1 Do they take Paypal for payment? (Hope So):uhoh

#2 can I display my EXIF info on DG like some do with a $30 a year account?
Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    1. I don't think SM accepts anything else that credit cards. Have you thought about Paypal? That would make it for people from other countries with lower credit card circulation much more easier.

2. Yes, that's possible.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    2 questions

#1 Do they take Paypal for payment? (Hope So):uhoh

#2 can I display my EXIF info on DG like some do with a $30 a year account?

credit card only...
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    Dang It!
    I don't have or use credit cards......&%^*^$#@!!! that leaves me out.:pissed

• Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    I don't have or use credit cards......&%^*^$#@!!! that leaves me out.:pissed

no atm debit card associated with your bank?
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    andy wrote:
    credit card only...
    Any plans on adding Paypal in the future? I mean it's well established and is spreading to more and more languages/countries. What would be the problem of adding it?

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    andy wrote:
    no atm debit card associated with your bank?
    Nope don't have a debit card.
    No cash.....no get!
    Keeps me outta trouble:D

• Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Nope don't have a debit card.
    No cash.....no get!
    Keeps me outta trouble:D
    Perhaps you have a friend or family member that would be willing to use their card when you hand them the cash? ne_nau.gif
    After your first year, you can spread the word about smugmug and get enough referrals that you don't need to pay for next year at all! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    CSwinton wrote:
    Perhaps you have a friend or family member that would be willing to use their card when you hand them the cash? ne_nau.gif
    After your first year, you can spread the word about smugmug and get enough referrals that you don't need to pay for next year at all! thumb.gif
    Good suggestion! For the standard account you just need 3 referrals per year. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    CSwinton wrote:

wow, that's the best suggestion i've heard in long time thumb.gif

graphyfotoz, with your enthusiasm, you'd have no trouble getting referrals!
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    I was thinking of becoming a smugmug member too but have the same problem, no credit card at the moment and living outside the USA (not sure if that's an added problem).
    I have a debit card but wouldn't this incur extra charges for being poutside the USA (bank is HSBC)?
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    andy wrote:
    wow, that's the best suggestion i've heard in long time thumb.gif

graphyfotoz, with your enthusiasm, you'd have no trouble getting referrals!
    Yeah, for sure!
    But I still would like to get a comment from the SM-team on alternative ways of paying, especially Paypal.
    GraphyFotoz did raise a good point. Not everybody is willing to have a creditcard or can have one even in the US. Then think about other countries. For example in Germany it isn't the norm to pay with credit cards - in fact there are lots of places where you can't do that. I only have one, because I shop a lot online.
    So what about all those potential customers who can't by my prints, because they don't have a credit card. Should I tell them to get such a card - definately not. I think smugmug has to adjust itself to the people. (I don't sell prints at the moment due to the lack of an pro-account, but I think you get the point mwink.gif )

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    SnapHappy wrote:
    I was thinking of becoming a smugmug member too but have the same problem, no credit card at the moment and living outside the USA (not sure if that's an added problem).
    I have a debit card but wouldn't this incur extra charges for being poutside the USA (bank is HSBC)?
    A debit card should work like a credit card and your bank may only charge you for converting your currency to US$, in which smugmug charges. This fee should be not to high - around 1 to 3 %. Just ask your bank what they charge for a payment in US$.

Sebastian

PS: If you want to join SM and have no referral link yet, you are free to use mine. This gives you a 5$ discount and me 10$.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    SnapHappy wrote:

most likely not, as the transaction is treated just like any ordinary visa/mastercard transaction. give it a try!
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    People without credit card already getting pretty desperate to get hold of a SM account! Today I had a hit referred by google UK - the poor UK visitor had searched for 'smugmug for free' and at least clicked through 4 resultpages where he saw this entry of my page (now I'm at page 5):
    ----
    smugmug - Sebastian Hosche's photo galleries
    [size=-1]smugmug · free trial | login | help |. |. color:. black, white. | View Cart · map this! ... I hope
    you enjoy your stay here and feel free to leave comments! ...
    ---[/size]
    and somehow felt tempted to click on it. ne_nau.gif
    Before that he had scanned through all those results saying the same 'smugmug · free trial' with smugmug free being in bold...

Poor guy!:cry

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2005
    Any comment on the credit card / paypal issue from our favorite support team?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2005
    Any comment on the credit card / paypal issue from our favorite support team?

Thanks,
    Sebastian

credit card only, as it stands right now.
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 25, 2005
    andy wrote:
    credit card only, as it stands right now.
    Paypal is a nightmare that we really don't want to get involved with. I have personally been ripped off by Paypal before... they have actually taken money out of my account without proof or reason, and ignored any of my complaints. They are rife with corruption and scams. It really isn't a very decent option. If someone can come along and make a decent version (Google?), it might be viable.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2005
    Ben wrote:
    Paypal is a nightmare that we really don't want to get involved with. I have personally been ripped off by Paypal before... they have actually taken money out of my account without proof or reason, and ignored any of my complaints. They are rife with corruption and scams. It really isn't a very decent option. If someone can come along and make a decent version (Google?), it might be viable.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/
    Thanks for the honest oppinion and the link - will check it out. That's what I wanted to hear and there's also light at the end of the tunnel. I'll keep my eyes opened for other options!

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    Just a thought
    It was my understanding that you could get a PayPal Credit Card... Then your Pay Pal Money could be allocated and given to Smugmug through the Visa Corporation. If your avoiding credit cards, that's admirable, but if you need smugmug, and want to use PayPal... Just sign up for the credit card, and only use it for smugmug. That way you're happy, and Ben doesn't have to get scammed by PayPal again.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2005
    Jamoke wrote:
    It was my understanding that you could get a PayPal Credit Card... Then your Pay Pal Money could be allocated and given to Smugmug through the Visa Corporation. If your avoiding credit cards, that's admirable, but if you need smugmug, and want to use PayPal... Just sign up for the credit card, and only use it for smugmug. That way you're happy, and Ben doesn't have to get scammed by PayPal again.
    Thanks for the info - didn't knew this. Nevertheless that wouldn't help visitors, because if they don't want or can't a credit card they still have no opportunity to order prints.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero