Options

Aperture (Apple application)

JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
edited July 8, 2006 in Finishing School
Wow..Apple came out with this today. What do you all think??

http://www.apple.com/aperture/

As for me, I think I may get it! The specs for it are steep, but my machine is on the list :):

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Aperture
    With Apple's announcement today of Aperture, I thought that instead of crowding the Unsolicited Mac Advice thread with all this, we should start a separate thread on it.

Aperture offers a lot of innovative features--but will it be worth it? It won't replace PS, so is it worth $500 to add it to your workflow?

Core Image will be a key part of the success of this product. The loupe, the lightbox, stacking...all these features will give the digital photography experience a much more analog feel. How many of you have stood over an old-fashioned lightbox with a loupe? I believe the experience will be much more interactive and organic. Multiple versions of a file without taking up a bunch of space for each one. Live RAW editing...

Take a look and post your thoughts here. Maybe this is the answer to "What is it that your Mac can do that my PC can't?"
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    I merged the two threads...started minutes apart.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    I'm very excited about this! If it's anything like their other pro apps (final cut, motion, etc) then this one should be a powerhouse too!

So, who's pre-ordering? :D

How about those specs? How many people are going to have to upgrade if they want to get this?
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Wow..Apple came out with this today. What do you all think??
    Explains why Apple gave the Pixmantec guys a two-fingered salute when they came calling for money to make their 'killer app', Raw Shooter, available for the Mac platform!
  • Options
    HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    IMO, it looks like all the positive qualities of both Picasa and RawShooter merged into one slick gui -- too bad it's madly expensive and OSX-exclusive. I guess I'll stick to my Picasa/RS combo! :P
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Photo gallery of Aperture demo here
  • Options
    Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    I hope there will be a Smugmug plugin so we can upload directly to Smugmug. That will be the killer intergration.
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    More info, very interesting details!

sorry my last link was kind of lame compared to the product page. This one should be more informative.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Mac Write wrote:
    I hope there will be a Smugmug plugin so we can upload directly to Smugmug. That will be the killer intergration.

hmm yeh there's a thought....
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited October 19, 2005
    I'm in on an early copy. Looks stronger than Photoshop for workflow, but I expect weaker on many image editing jobs.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    I'm in on an early copy. Looks stronger than Photoshop for workflow, but I expect weaker on many image editing jobs.
    That's what I had interpreted from the Apple web site videos - a sort of iPhoto Pro, but hopefully a lot more stable and faster in operation.

I'll be interested to see what Extensis come up with in the rumoured Portfolio 8. The overall look and feel of Aperture and its workflow and management functions appear to have raised the bar to a new level.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    So a little bird I know was at a demo of Aperture at the Photo Expo in NYC.

His thoughts?

"had to pick my jaw up off the floor."

"Can't believe how much they crammed into one package."

"unbelievable." (he actually threw in a couple of extra syllables in that one)

"Can't wait to get a copy."
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    So a little bird I know was at a demo of Aperture at the Photo Expo in NYC.

His thoughts?

"had to pick my jaw up off the floor."

"Can't believe how much they crammed into one package."

"unbelievable." (he actually threw in a couple of extra syllables in that one)

"Can't wait to get a copy."

it was an apple-gasm extraordinaire. iloveyou.gif

40817848-L.jpg

40817835-L.jpg

40817839-L.jpg

40817844-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    i'm very impressed. lots of very cool features. i'm sad for peecee people, they can't use this :cry

the gui is so apple-y it's wonderful. very intuitive. lots of features for organizing, rating, keywording, sorting, editing, pushing to web, pushing to books (300dpi books!)

i need to organize my thoughts more but it looked way cool. i didn't "do" the seminar at a keyboard, i watched. very impressive, very.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i'm very impressed. lots of very cool features. i'm sad for peecee people, they can't use this :cry

the gui is so apple-y it's wonderful. very intuitive. lots of features for organizing, rating, keywording, sorting, editing, pushing to web, pushing to books (300dpi books!)

i need to organize my thoughts more but it looked way cool. i didn't "do" the seminar at a keyboard, i watched. very impressive, very.

Did you get a sense that it could replace iView Media Pro or any other catalog app? Will it catalog items that are offline, as in can you catalog a DVD and browse the thumbs with it offline?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Did you get a sense that it could replace iView Media Pro or any other catalog app? Will it catalog items that are offline, as in can you catalog a DVD and browse the thumbs with it offline?

Did you see that iView 3.0 will be coming out soon? ear.gif

I am wondering that too if I can ditch iView and move to Aperture. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Did you see that iView 3.0 will be coming out soon? ear.gif

I am wondering that too if I can ditch iView and move to Aperture. ne_nau.gif

I did see that. Interesting that iVMP 3 will have a lightbox...but no way will it be as quick and intuitive as Aperture...core image is very powerful.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    The guy in the last picture looks kinda sad.
    "Not only can I not afford this hardware, why didn't they give me some headphones?" :cry
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Looks like it's being positioned as a complementary product to PS, not a replacement.

Read about it here.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Looks like it's being positioned as a complementary product to PS, not a replacement.

Read about it here.

the integration etc with photoshop was seamless in the demos today. they play well with each other.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    the integration etc with photoshop was seamless in the demos today. they play well with each other.

Heck, if Apple is demoing it with PS, they certainly don't consider it a replacement.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Heck, if Apple is demoing it with PS, they certainly don't consider it a replacement.

nod.gifnod.gif
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited October 20, 2005
    I didn't gr0k how much hardware this takes when it was first announced but now that I get that, I can see how Apple will REALLY get behind this. It's one thing to sell software that increases your sales and gives improved margins, but when it's a major driver for high-end hardware adoption, that's a whole different ballgame for Apple.

indextop20051018.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    I didn't gr0k how much hardware this takes when it was first announced but now that I get that, I can see how Apple will REALLY get behind this. It's one thing to sell software that increases your sales and gives improved margins, but when it's a major driver for high-end hardware adoption, that's a whole different ballgame for Apple.

indextop20051018.jpg

funny, i just sold my dual g5 to a dgrinner, so i could make room in the studio here for a quad g5 lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    funny, i just sold my dual g5 to a dgrinner, so i could make room in the studio here for a quad g5 lol3.gif

If you build it, they will come, or in this case, if Apple builds it, andy will buy it. deal.gif:D
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    Ordering my copy tomorrow :)
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    andy did you see any of the new albums or hear of any pricing? I wonder if they will offer discount on quantity runs of books? ear.gif

at least I have a few weeks to save up the $500 for it. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    andy did you see any of the new albums or hear of any pricing? I wonder if they will offer discount on quantity runs of books? ear.gif

at least I have a few weeks to save up the $500 for it. rolleyes1.gif

i saw the albums, they looked way good. aperture also has *amazing* flexibility in terms of creating the album books. very cool. and, aperture allows printing at 300dpi, i think iphoto does not.
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    I am pretty sure I saw that it can export to jpeg, so chances are good that there will be a plugin at some point by someone.

I really like how Apple fills a void here. I know that Adobe has raw integration with Photoshop and they have bridge for finding and archiving, but they really feel like they are plugins/afterthoughts and don't have the focus that they deserve (rightfully so, Photoshop IS the shining star). It felt as if something was missing and Apple stepped in. I am glad Apple decided not to recreate Photoshop (for now); they focused on what pros need most: a solid workflow and local archiving system.

Can't wait to pick up a copy and see how performance is on a powerbook :D

Mac Write wrote:
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i saw the albums, they looked way good. aperture also has *amazing* flexibility in terms of creating the album books. very cool. and, aperture allows printing at 300dpi, i think iphoto does not.

I saw a QT movie showing some of the layout flexibility, that is one of the features I would really like to have if the books look good and are priced well.