Options

2006: post shooutout

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    More on RV
    As KudbeGud confirmed, there is an RV place in St.George (which is only about 40 min from Zion) with the weekly rates = $750 (class c 24' ) to $1225 (30' - 36' class a) with 5% discount for 3 month in advance reservation (which makes it $712 and $1163 resp.).
    If we have 4 people for RV $712/4 makes it $178ea. If we have 6 (or more) we'll get $1163/6=$193ea or less.
    In any case we'll get a week worth of BOTH transport and lodging for under $200! Of course, gas, camp fees would add to that amount, but they would do that anyway. But comparing to renting a car (SUV) for a week (50 per day min) and staying in motels (again $50 per night min if you lucky) - we're saving hundreds of dollars on thins thingie!clap.gif
    Let's experience Utah the American way!!

PS
    AND - they have shuttle service to LV, so the final leg of the journey becomes a no-brainer also:-)thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2005
    Guys and gals, we need your yays/nays!
    Trust me, those availalbe campsites and those RVs will be all reserved if we do not act fast. It's an extremely popular location and with the memorial day being that close we can end up with nothing if we don't nail it soon.ne_nau.gif
    Please, we need you RSVPs!
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    Don't tell me you're all bailing out of this...
    Nikolai wrote:
    Trust me, those availalbe campsites and those RVs will be all reserved if we do not act fast. It's an extremely popular location and with the memorial day being that close we can end up with nothing if we don't nail it soon.ne_nau.gif
    Please, we need you RSVPs!
    Hello, anybody???ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    I'm In .........
    Nikolai wrote:
    Hello, anybody???ne_nau.gif
    Hi Nikolai......... I am happy to go with the flow, you guys will know more about these things than I would since I don't live in USA.

I'm happy to let you guys decide what you want to do, and how many days you spend at any location, .......and if you guys really want the thrill of a life time.......let me drive rolleyes1.gif

Let me know what you decide, I am definitely going okay :D
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    No objection to the cheapest of sleeping places :D

I'll go with the flow!

Oh and my sincere apologies for acting this late!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    nik,

how about making a summary post here about the current status of the post shootout stuff (locations, route, options, costs, dates, who's coming, etc)

i'll reference the summary info in the main thread.

deal.gif thanks
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    Good idea, Andy!
    andy wrote:
    nik,

how about making a summary post here about the current status of the post shootout stuff (locations, route, options, costs, dates, who's coming, etc)

i'll reference the summary info in the main thread.

deal.gif thanks
    I will make one tonight!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    Yay!
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Nikolai......... I am happy to go with the flow, you guys will know more about these things than I would since I don't live in USA.

I'm happy to let you guys decide what you want to do, and how many days you spend at any location, .......and if you guys really want the thrill of a life time.......let me drive rolleyes1.gif

Let me know what you decide, I am definitely going okay :D
    Skippy (Australia)
    Maxine in!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    Never had a doubt!
    No objection to the cheapest of sleeping places :D

I'll go with the flow!

Oh and my sincere apologies for acting this late!
    So now we have at least 4 - we can start with RV:-)!
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    If you don't mind me saying:

yeeeeeee-hawwww clap.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    Lol
    If you don't mind me saying:

yeeeeeee-hawwww clap.gif
    We will probably be targeting a bigger one, so initial payment would be slightly higher. When the late birds join-in (which I'm totally posisive about) we'll get more funds and reimburse the initial extras.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Including you isn't that 5?

Nikolai
    gluwater
    Michiel de Brieder
    Skippy
    Maxine
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    oops...
    gluwater wrote:
    Including you isn't that 5?
    Kudbegud (you forgot da man)
    Nikolai
    gluwater
    Michiel de Brieder
    Skippy=Maxine:-)
    Sorry, man, I was only counting who recently confirmed after the updated plan has been posted! The thing is - we're gonna start making reservations and we need to secure some funds for that, hence my being cautions...
    NOW it's five of us:-)clap.gif

Dixie - are you in?
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I will make one tonight!thumb.gif

a-hem... koff koff...
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    Sorry man
    andy wrote:
    a-hem... koff koff...
    Got something going on, family and stuff, could not make it..
    Soon:-)
    Cheers!
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Got something going on, family and stuff, could not make it..
    Soon:-)
    Cheers!
    no worries. pm me when you have it done and i'll update the threads.
  • Options
    awfulsaraawfulsara Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2005
    Here's the dealio - I'm in, but not in. Oh yeah, that's right. ;)

I'm coming (95% sure) but I'm driving out in my Subaru, so I will not need to sleep etc with y'all. (And you can take that however ya like.) ;) However, I would love to intersect with your plans, love to hang out, love to pack people in my car for the occasional day trip, off-shoot, or Place Where RVs Cannot Go. I'm thinkin that I'll contribute wheels and gas for said wheels, as needed, and I'll be camping with you, near you, or on my own depending on space and how the wind takes me. Love to share a beer or 6. Love to have company in me Suby though I might stop suddenly with a squawk.

So I will be seeing you there, and can/will pony up some cash on a lesser level to help secure reservations etc if needed, though I'd rather not do it up front since I don't know if/how much I will use that stuff and I'm broke as hell.

Hope that works for you!
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    OK, guys and gals
    Since nobody had any objections v.s. Da Drfat#1, it is now has been promoted to Da Plan.
    Since RV is gonna be about $1200 and we definitely would need some more monay for gas and camps, I suggest each five of us (who already signed in) chip in $300 now ($100 for people using their own vehicles - we still need reserve campgrounds).

This is NOT gonna be our final amount. The latter, I'd would think, will be closer to $500-$700 per person (i.e. $80-100 per person per day), but it will help to solidify our plans and let us do actual reservations, etc.
    If more people sign up later, our shares will simply drop and we'll have less to cover in the end..:-)

We're also going to have an "early birds" discount system. As it was mentioned before, our top capacity is going to be 12 people total, RV or not.
    Each month there will be a fee of $20 added to those who sing up late, due upon sign up. So those of you who pay in October will pay $120 less total compared to those who sign up in May 2006.
    Here's the signup fee chart
    Month RV Own wheels
    Oct 2005 $300 $100
    Nov 2005 $320 $120
    Dec 2005 $340
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
    OK, guys and gals - time to pay up!
    Since nobody had any objections v.s. Da Drfat#1, it is now has been promoted to Da Plan.

As of now we have 6 total, 5 in RV and one (Sara) in her Suby. Didn't hear from Dixie and his SUV..

Since RV is gonna be about $1200 and we definitely would need some more money for gas and camps, I suggest each five of us (who already signed in) chip in $300 now ($100 for people using their own vehicles - we still need reserve campgrounds).

This is NOT gonna be our final amount. The latter, I'd would think, will be closer to $500-$700 per person (i.e. $80-100 per person per day), but it will help to solidify our plans and let us do actual reservations, etc.
    If more people sign up later, our shares will simply drop and we'll have less to cover in the end..:-)

We're also going to have an "early birds" discount system. Those who fail to sign up in this calendar year of 2005 will pay a "beer/gas" penalty of $50, so you better pay fast:-)

If you gonna send you portion via paypal (please send to paypal@photosocal.com, that's my account) please add 3%, i.e. please send $309/$103. MOs or cashier's checks - please PM/email for the address.

The sooner we get the money the sooner we can actually start reserving things.

Thanks!
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005
    I will paypal you on Monday, gotta wait for this weeks check to clear first. I'm still recuperating from the trip to Mackinaw that I haven't processed any pics from yet.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    WTG, Nick!
    gluwater wrote:
    I will paypal you on Monday, gotta wait for this weeks check to clear first. I'm still recuperating from the trip to Mackinaw that I haven't processed any pics from yet.
    Both Nicks are downclap.gif
    Do I hear more ka-ching?mwink.gif
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005
    I'm possibly in for this, but won't find out until next week. If I make it, I might be able to provide a tent if it's too crowded in the RV.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    Awesome!
    tlittleton wrote:
    I'm possibly in for this, but won't find out until next week. If I make it, I might be able to provide a tent if it's too crowded in the RV.
    When it come closer we'll check the tents, too. I, for one, have a very compact and lightweight tent that can shelter 4 easily (it's 6'x8'). I have other camping gear for 4 (bags and foam mats), but I won't be able to fly with all that stuff all by myself. However, maybe Sara would agree to transport some on her Suby:-)

Anyway, it's too early for that. The main thing - gear is not a problem:-)

Anybody else want to join?mwink.gif
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    When it come closer we'll check the tents, too. I, for one, have a very compact and lightweight tent that can shelter 4 easily (it's 6'x8'). I have other camping gear for 4 (bags and foam mats), but I won't be able to fly with all that stuff all by myself. However, maybe Sara would agree to transport some on her Suby:-)

Anyway, it's too early for that. The main thing - gear is not a problem:-)

Anybody else want to join?mwink.gif
    I've got an office in Vegas that I can ship stuff to. I figured I'd just FedEx my gear out there and pick it up from my guys when I get out there, then ship it back home. If anyone else didn't have room to fly stuff in, I could provide a staging area there for you to send it to and then I could get it shipped back out for you.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2005
    Hello?
    Ladies and gentlemen,
    we DO need your pledges...
    Reserving trips, camps and $1,200 RV is an enterprise we can't afford going into without being 100% you're going. You also may need to start flight reservations.

If not sure - please post your questions/concerns here, or send me an email, or better yet - BE sure and send the money!
    It's gonna be a trip of your life!

(All the pictures below are quoted from the public websites, they are not mine, I put a link to the originating website next to each picture)

Antelope canyon (www.valerieandjoe.com):
    CRW_7485.jpg

Monument Valley (http://www.fiorentino-photography.com):

Monument_Valley_015.jpg

Mexican Hat: (Edward Schumci, http://www.utahpictures.net/ewald-schumci):

mexican-hat-1.jpg

Valley Of Gods (Dan Teller: http://www.danheller.com/images/Arizona/MonumentValley):

valley-of-gods-02-big.jpg

Arches (http://www.so-utah.com/archcany/arches):

delicate.jpg

If you don't sign up you're gonna miss it!!!

HTH
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    Nobody?
    Folks, I can't believe you're all wanna ignore this trip. Zion and Bryce are sure gems, but you can't simply ditch the rest of the necklace:-)
    Utah is B-E-A -UTAH - FUL!!:D
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Nik, I really wish I could join you, sounds like fun.

But hey, I found someone else to take my place. We just have to get him registered on dgrin so he can reply to this thread!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    U mean "google spider"?
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nik, I really wish I could join you, sounds like fun.

But hey, I found someone else to take my place. We just have to get him registered on dgrin so he can reply to this thread!
    Yeah, sure, bring him in..
    Or is it "her"?mwink.gif In this case I'd like to be aware of her mating-eating habits:-)
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2005
    Can I hear "paypaled"?
    Folks, we reserved all campsites for RV (yay, Kudbegud! thumb.gif ),
    but we *DO* need to put a few hundred bucks down for the RV itself.

The bad news is:
    the biggest RV we can get can hold six (!) people only.
    So sitting is very limited, unless we're going to get another RV - which means another deposit, another camp reservation, etc.

I don't feel like putting down a lot of cash without having a $olid confirmation from all the interested parties.

So, guys and gals, ladies and gents, if you're are seriously thinking of going to this trip - please send the your dineros, liras, yens, roubles, rupees and pounds asap. US dollars will be fine, too.

I know many of you have already expressed the desire to go, but we just came to the point when we need to support that desire with some funds..ne_nau.gif

Me and Kudbegud are locked in, which leaves only FOUR (4!) spots in our bea-utah-ful shiny RV (two tvs, dvd, shower, full kitchen, the whole shebang!)
    First come - first served.
    Please hurry, I'd like to lock that RV for as ASAP.

If we get more than 6 people we may need to get another RV - with all the consequences (additional vamping spots, etc.). As, as before, 12 is our top limit since they don't let more than 12 inside the antelope canyon, and there is only one photo-tour per day.. And especially in that case we need a participation confirmed with funds..

I'm standing by for your transfer! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    RV, tour and camps are nailed
    Detailed info will follow soon, tonight or tomorrow, need to compile it all in a easy-to-read form:-)

Several hundred dollars have been *already* spent by Kudbegud and me in the process, so PLEASE hurry with your transfers! deal.gif

Bottom line - we still have 4 vacant slots in RV and 10 slots in the Antelope tour. Slots are assigned as money arrives on "first come first served" basis, $300 deposit please. If we have more than 6 ppl in this trip, we better know it sooner, since it would require additional RV and additional camping slots.

Those with your own wheels - we need $100 deposit and we'll discuss your sleeping/lodging arrangements options.

Complete detailed info will follow...
    "Show me the money"!