Options

iPhone. Photography. Awesomized. Free.

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited October 29, 2012 in SmugMug Support
[imgl]https://img.skitch.com/20120229-82ngtd6c9rte7cytiqg6ngcnby.jpg[/imgl] Camera Awesome is here! SmugMug's new app for the love of photography and sharing, for your iPhone.

Read our news blog.

Get the app.

SmugMug's Help Page on the App.

Link to Wall Street Journal TV.

Press Release on DPreveiw.

In-depth video by Robert Scoble with CEO Don MacAskill, Baldy, and Sorcerer Shizam.

Interview with CEO Don MacAskill on Boot Camp with Fred Fishkin.

Got questions or comments? Ask 'em here :smo

FAQs: (will update here with Qs that are asked)

Hey, what about us Android users, we want Camera Awesome, too! We’re working on Android. Promise. But it’s *very* hard. There’s a ton of different hardware, and then Google/Android give us pretty insane memory limitations. We’re working through all the issues, but it will still be awhile.

Turns out there’s a good reason why there aren’t any great camera apps on Android yet. They make it nearly impossible.

Comments

• Options
    Karenl39Karenl39 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Love it!
    Wow!!! I'm a pro and so far, I LOVE this!!!! Thank you so much!!! I take pics frequently with my iphone 4s because I don't want to lug my big camera around and they will be even better with this app, thanks!
  • Options
    beqbeq Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    I agree this new camera app is great :)

Any ETA for the updated gallery viewer app that's supposedly next in the pipeline?

Hopefully both camera app and viewer app will be made universal (as opposed to an iPhone-specific camera app and an iPad-only viewer app)?
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    beq wrote: »
    Any ETA for the updated gallery viewer app that's supposedly next in the pipeline?

Hopefully both camera app and viewer app will be made universal (as opposed to an iPhone-specific camera app and an iPad-only viewer app)?

Working on exactly this. Stay tuned, we're not ignoring it, promise!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Love this app. I've long loved Perfectly Clear (even though it crashed a bunch) and I'm really glad to see the technology built into Camera Awesome.

Is there a feedback pipeline yet for Camera Awesome?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Love this app. I've long loved Perfectly Clear (even though it crashed a bunch) and I'm really glad to see the technology built into Camera Awesome.

Is there a feedback pipeline yet for Camera Awesome?

You can give it right here, you can use the button in the app to give feedback which will cause and email to go right to our Heroes as well. Thanks Dave!
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    In-app feedback! On it!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    In-app feedback! On it!

Don't forget to review it on the App Store too, thanks! :D
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Don't forget to review it on the App Store too, thanks! :D

Already done did.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AeroGeekAeroGeek Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 29, 2012
    I downloaded this app today and am very excited about it! After I use the app to upload a picture to SmugMug is there a way to find out the link to that picture using the iPhone?
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    AeroGeek wrote: »
    I downloaded this app today and am very excited about it! After I use the app to upload a picture to SmugMug is there a way to find out the link to that picture using the iPhone?

After you take a pic (and Awesomize, if you like) you can share that pic on SmugMug. Once shared, there's a link icon (chains) at the top - click that, and you'll be able to SMS that link, or email it, or copy it or open it in Safari on your iPhone :D

20120301-rt51ncmx34y1aasm6hrgy8g2qp.jpg
  • Options
    FuronoFurono Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    In every single shot mode for me it is acting like the "slow burst" mode. I can't get it to just take one photo.

I'm on 5.0.1

Any ideas? I closed the app, restarted the iphone, etc. Nothing works.

Thanks!
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
    SmugMug - photos.japanphotos.jp
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Furono wrote: »
    In every single shot mode for me it is acting like the "slow burst" mode. I can't get it to just take one photo.

I'm on 5.0.1

Any ideas? I closed the app, restarted the iphone, etc. Nothing works.

Thanks!

In the sense that if you hold your finger down on the shutter it keeps taking pictures?
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Downloaded it this morning and bought most filters. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    Shizam wrote: »
    In the sense that if you hold your finger down on the shutter it keeps taking pictures?

Sorry, should of said that I touch it once and it keeps going. I don't hold it down. I can't get it to stop. The only way to stop it is to close it out.

Steve
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    Shizam wrote: »

Click the photo to see the video:

i-Xkxjp3H-L.jpg
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Oh, poop, thats not working as intended :D I'll log this in our bug tracker. Thanks for the video, it was very helpful!
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Is there any way to make this the default camera app on the iphone. When the phone is locked and you double tap on the home button you can bring up the Apple camera app without unlocking the phone, it would be nice to bring up this app instead.

I just started playing with it and I like much better than the Apple camer app thumb.gif
  • Options
    martinjp2martinjp2 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Great app. How do you zoom? Every time I try the focus and exposure points split which is a great feature assuming zoom is hiding somewhere.
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    Allan FG wrote: »
    Is there any way to make this the default camera app on the iphone. When the phone is locked and you double tap on the home button you can bring up the Apple camera app without unlocking the phone, it would be nice to bring up this app instead.

I just started playing with it and I like much better than the Apple camer app thumb.gif

Not right now but you can put it in your iPhone Dock deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    martinjp2 wrote: »
    Great app. How do you zoom? Every time I try the focus and exposure points split which is a great feature assuming zoom is hiding somewhere.

Tap the lower part of the screen as you're viewing/composing a photo. A zoom slider will appear!
  • Options
    EpicaricacyEpicaricacy Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Android?? More android phones out there than ios ones....
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Love this app!! iloveyou.gif
    Technology these days is just amazing.
    Then along comes a app like this to make it more fun!! thumb.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    Android?? More android phones out there than ios ones....

Hi, please read the FAQ I posted about this in post #1, thanks!
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    How do I turn off the FX feature - every photo I take has the Joan of Arc edit applied - I just want to take a regular photo and can't seem to turn this feature off or figure our how.

Also - the WSJ article on this app stated this
    "
    People with SmugMug accounts, which cost $5 monthly or $40 annually, get some extra benefits. (People who use the app to sign up get half off their first year with SmugMug.) All photos they take using the app can be automatically cloud-archived in SmugMug at full resolution. This means a photo taken with the iPhone 4S, which captures eight megapixels, will be uploaded to SmugMug as eight megapixels. SmugMug account holders also can opt to post photos to several sharing sites at the same time with one click. "

I've into my account using the app but when I upload to my camea awesome app - the image was only 700kb in size - was the article incorrect on this point or am I not doing something correctly?

thanks - great camera app!
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    How do I turn off the FX feature - every photo I take has the Joan of Arc edit applied - I just want to take a regular photo and can't seem to turn this feature off or figure our how.
    wave.gif The same way you enabled it - in camera mode, there's a down-arrow at the top of the screen - tap it, tap the fx button that is activated to deactivate it.

Also - the WSJ article on this app stated this
    "
    People with SmugMug accounts, which cost $5 monthly or $40 annually, get some extra benefits. (People who use the app to sign up get half off their first year with SmugMug.) All photos they take using the app can be automatically cloud-archived in SmugMug at full resolution. This means a photo taken with the iPhone 4S, which captures eight megapixels, will be uploaded to SmugMug as eight megapixels. SmugMug account holders also can opt to post photos to several sharing sites at the same time with one click. "

I've into my account using the app but when I upload to my camea awesome app - the image was only 700kb in size - was the article incorrect on this point or am I not doing something correctly?

thanks - great camera app!

Do you have "faster sharing" enabled in the App settings? That's send up smaller files.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    There doesn't seem to be a queue page that I can keep on pause so I can wait for faster connection to
    upload. Am I missing something? What's the best way to handle this?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    wave.gif The same way you enabled it - in camera mode, there's a down-arrow at the top of the screen - tap it, tap the fx button that is activated to deactivate it.

Do you have "faster sharing" enabled in the App settings? That's send up smaller files.

Andy - i've tapped the FX button many times - it stays green and never turns off. I'll delete the app and reinstall and see what happens. I deleted the app and reinstalled - appears I need to tap the composition button to turn off the FX mode - I can't just tap fx by itself

Also - faster sharing was not enabled - I just uploaded a new file and it is only 800kb. Why is it if I email that file to myself it will be 2-3mb in size. Is it true the app should upload the full 8mp file?
  • Options
    ShantymanShantyman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    The same app for Android tablets please, eg. Asus Transformer TF101/Prime. ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    Shantyman wrote: »
    The same app for Android tablets please, eg. Asus Transformer TF101/Prime. ;-)

Hi, see my FAQ in post #1 :) Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be a queue page that I can keep on pause so I can wait for faster connection to
    upload. Am I missing something? What's the best way to handle this?

Are you referring to archiving? Set your archiving to only archive when on Wifi deal.gif